LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who takes Deplin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who takes Deplin?
BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to try this. I've been on small doses of FolaPro and I'm doing well.

Some patients report immediate and dramatic improvements in fatigue and depression when they start Deplin.

I could use some of that.

Others' experiences?

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I tested positive for the MTHFR allele and both take Deplin and do B12 injections.

I wouldn't say the there is any dramatic improvement in stamina (just some) but it did help the depression. We both are a little clearer with our brain fog.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took 5-MTHF from Thorne, which is prescription free. It had some positive effect on depression, but I got some side effects on these higher doses- flu like symptoms and headache. So I went down to smaller dose.
Posts: 125 | From eu | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take it with B-12 shots but I don't notice the effects because I take so many other pills. All I know is I feel better overall with anti-seizure meds and IV antibiotics thanks to my new LLMD.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaniMo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaniMo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deplin hasn't helped my depression, but I like the fact that it is a natural substance and doesn't seem to cause me any side effects.

Of course, insurance doesn't cover it.

Good luck!

Posts: 118 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was prescribed it from my doctor for depression - but it was too expensive since insurance didn't cover it. Around $150 I think.
Too bad!

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the Thorne 5-MTHF.

Yesterday, as an experiment, I took a ridiculous amount of Folapro. I had much more energy and much less depression than usual. Maybe a good sign.

I woke today with the worst headache ever. Maybe not a good sign.

Grrrr....

I'll post my results with the Thorne product.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My insurance covers Deplin with a copay.

--------------------
Faithful

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deplin is MUCH stronger than FoloPro.

If FoloPro is working/helping...why switch?

Note if you have the MTHFR gene type, you absolutely need to take a daily baby aspirin.

You are at greater RISK for clotting problems.

The brain issue is because inflammation (brain)impacts "innocent bystanders" = **SY cells** in the brain - knocks them off. I linked it at the bottom of my post about atherosclerosis.

The inflammation that happens during lyme is throughout the system...everywhere.

For brain inflammation, OmegaBrite may help. Sorry it is expensive and is only available over the internet.

It is a very unusual formulation of the Omega 3 fatty acids (our brain needs glucose AND fatty acids...which is why infant formulas are loaded with DHA).

EPA is "anti-inflammatory". It is the FUNCTIONAL omega 3. DHA is STRUCTURAL.

Stoll...Harvard...believes we need a LOT more EPA than DNA.

P.S. Something like 1 in 20 people are effected by the MTHFR gene problem and are at greater risk for depression, and other problems. Our genes do NOT have to determine our destiny. There ARE work-arounds IF we know we inherited a genetic problem.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

There are other ways to thin the blood other than the baby aspirin. I can't tolerate any NSAIDS at all.

I do use nattozymes and viatalzyme to thin the blood out. I also take 4.5 grams of good quality fish oil daily.

Both my husband and I have the MTHFR heterogeous gene.

--------------------
Faithful

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything depends on ALL your mutations, not just MTHFR. You are only at risk of clotting if you have C677T. The other mutations affect what you can take. I am not supposed to have aspirin (can't remember why) so I take lumbrokinase or boluoke.

I am supposed to get BH4 today to reduce ammonia. That should be interesting.

Hydroxy B12 increased my energy a lot.. I also take carnitine and CoQ10 for energy and have NADH but have not started it yet.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clotting risk:

https://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/mthfr

The biggest differences in recommendations between these two types of mutations (one copy or two) are:

1. folic acid needs to be avoided more seriously by **homozygous** (2 copies) individuals

(think: "homo" = 2 of the same - just to help you remember)

(You can't PROCESS it, so watch your intake of folic acid...hard because it is in/added to so many foods.)

2. the amount of *methylfolate* required for homozygous (2 copies) mutations is greater

3. the blood thinning requirement is greater for homozygous (2 copies) individuals

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

Not being able to process folic acid to its useful form impacts another enzyme

which is called BH4.

BH4 is an enzyme that is used to make serotonin, dopamine, thyroid hormones, melanin and to

detox ammonia.

It is recharged by *folate*/= folic acid ... and/or niacin ... and/or vitamin C.

With certain combinations of the MTHFR gene, some people have a limited supply of BH4.

Those people can probably be identified as those who have tendencies towards depression,

low energy,

all-or-nothing focus,

hypothyroid (even subclinical),

are pale,

and may have elevated blood ammonia.

These people will do best on small amounts of very high quality protein, and lots (?) of methyl folate.

Reasons to Suspect MTHFR gene problem:

If you have low dopamine AND low serotonin AND low thyroid function (even subclinical).
If you have high blood ammonia.
If you have MTHFR polymorphisms.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deplin was one of the first things I went on last summer when I was very, very sick and I'm still taking it. I can't say if it helped or not though. I did start to get better very slowly during that time, but that also could have been the doxy.

My insurance does cover it. After reading others' posts, I guess I'm lucky on that point.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement