LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Detox bath...HELP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Detox bath...HELP
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started a new protocol yesterday...finally saw an official LLMD. Decided to an epsom bath and holy cow, feel worse. I got very shaky, heart rate increased, and felt weak, oh, and oddly felt hungry for the first time in a while.

I made myself stay in for 30 minutes but not sure if this was wise. Slid out like a wet noodle, tried to stand but couldn't.

Made it to the bed and just laid there for a while.

Feel much improved now 20 minutes later.

Question.....was the bath actually helping me in the long run or hurting me?

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much E.S. did you add? Was the bath water tepid or ***too hot*** (potentiates weakness)?

Know how you feel when you get out of a hot tub? Relaxed, but a little weaker.

Many lyme patients have a hard time tolerating heat. (Cold is anti-inflammatory.)

30 minutes is too long, IMO. 20 min. max.

E.S. help the muscles to *relax* (which is the usual reason to take those baths).

Heat can also impact the drugs you are on...greater effect.

To stimulate the immune system...alternating hot and cold is somewhat effective.

This is the basis of saunas...and then running out into the snow and then back into the sauna.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Lyme treatment I could hardly even take a warm bath without feeling like I was going to pass out. I would feel very ill!

After treating Lyme for years, I can now take a very hot bath for as long as I want with epsom salt and baking soda.

Still am very sick, with POTS being my worst problem. But I can tolerate some heat again.

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
better be lukewarm to mildly hot and drink plenty of water.

also be sure to take a shower afterwards and wash that stuff off. i go to bed immediately.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, better lukewarm to a nice cozy warm - but NOT HOT.

Though, don't get chilled, either.

and no longer than 20 minutes.

Alternating hot & cold, IMO, can be too stressful to many of us with weak adrenals (and hearts that are also challenged by infection).

If you do this, wait until you are stronger and then, avoid shockingly sharp shifts in temps as you start out.

Go for GENTLE. Our bodies do not do well with shocks of any kind.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the hot bath caused a drop in your blood pressure. Heat causes blood vessels to expand, a phenomenon called vasodilation. If the BP drops enough, this can make you feel very weak and faint, and the heart rate will increase to try to compensate.

As others have suggested, I would try lowering the temp of your bath water to avoid having this happen again, and limit the length of your baths until you find out how well you tolerate it.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has often been my experience with Epsom Salt baths.

I would say to allow a shorter time in the bath, have a big mug of water beside you (and drink it!), rinse your body down wrap up in a towel or towelling gown and flop into bed, as you did. If you keep hydrated, don't put too much of the salts into the bath and don't run the water too hot, then you should be OK.

A few people, however, don't tolerate these baths, in which case there are other recipes for detox baths that you could try instead , such as hydrogen peroxide baths, ginger bathsetc.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great point, ukcarry, staying well hydrated is very important.

Once again, it comes down to keeping your BP stable. When one becomes dehydrated, this literally depletes the volume of blood circulating, resulting in lower blood pressure.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happened to me once too. It sounds like it was too hot for too long and you probably got dehydrated.

When you first turn on the water, get it really hot to dissolve the salt, then mix it with cold so that it ends up lukewarm. And only stay in for a little while at first and then you can work up to longer. And drink lots of water!

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good info. I had heard to take as hot as you can tolerate and do for 40 minutes for detox.

This has worked out fine in the past but not today. Also started more aggressive protocol so guess I just can't tolerate.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are epsom salt baths supposed to help?

I have the same issues and feel unmotivated to continue. If I knew how they were helping me I might be willing to continue.

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epsom salts provide magnesium directly into the muscles where the magnesium is needed.

Also, the bath soaks give the body a way to eliminate toxins from die-off.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had to start with like warm foot baths. Now she can tolerate tepid Epsom salt baths, but any longer than 10 minutes and she is sick for days. I would suggest taking it slow and build up in time and temp gradually. Best wishes!
Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement