LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Health Effects of Boron - Do not miss this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health Effects of Boron - Do not miss this
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=227&Itemid=71
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I was looking into this about a year ago. I'll read the article very soon.

i believe they were pouring boron on Fukishima to absorb the radiation. So it may help in that capacity, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Sparkle, don't wait too long. Borax is disappearing from stores or has mostly disappeared.

This publication http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm may be easier to read for some of you.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just googled food sources of boron and raisins are one of the highest sources. Glad to read that since I eat a lot of raisins. Thanks for posting GiGi.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Spounds like it acts against biofilms too, and candida and some other infections.

Anyone have a list of foods or other things that contain boron?

I guess it is still available in Thailand and other countries.

[ 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: n.northernlights ]

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fruits and vegetables are the main dietary sources of boron. However, the concentration of boron in plants depends on adequate concentrations of boron in the soil.

6 Other good dietary sources of boron are legumes, pulses, and nuts. A vegetarian diet is thought to be higher in boron than the typical American diet. 3"

-- from http://www.vitaminherbuniversity.com/topic.asp?categoryid=2&topicid=1016

Boron in foods:
"almonds, walnuts, avocados, broccoli, potatoes, pears, prunes, honey, oranges, onions, chick peas, carrots, beans, bananas, red grapes, red apples and raisins."

--from http://www.livestrong.com/article/242015-foods-high-in-boron-vitamins/

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

As I was seeing Dr. K. yesterday, he came back from lunch with a box of Borax from one of the local stores (I think Target). He recommended that I take 1/8th teaspoon in small amount of water each day.

I am reacting very strongly to all Smart Meter output that was quietly installed by power company without them telling us. I also think that it was instrumental in my husband's rapid deterioration and death.

Read the stuff and please listen to the EMR talk by Dr. K. which I posted earlier. Awareness is our best weapon.

Take care.

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the boron supplements just as effective?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they might be harder to digest

"..He wrote that commonly people can get rid of their pain, swelling and stiffness in about 1 to 3 months. Then they can reduce treatment from 3 to 1 boron tablet (each 3 mg) per day as a maintenance dose so that they can avoid any future arthritis.

He also stated that patients with rheumatoid arthritis commonly experienced a Herxheimer reaction and that this is always a good prognostic sign. They must persevere and in another 2 or 3 weeks the pain, swelling and stiffness will be gone. (4,5)"..

..."Being such an excellent fungicide it is not surprising that borax is being successfully used to treat Candida.

There is much interesting information on an Earth Clinic forum called Borax Cures (10). With low to medium-weight people use 1/8 teaspoon of borax powder and with heavier weight 1/4 teaspoon per litre of water. One drinks the water spaced out during the day, and does this for 4 or 5 days a week as long as required.

Many contributors wrote that it cured or greatly helped them. So for instance this post: "I also have psoriasis, so maybe the soreness in my joints is the psoriatic arthritis creeping in.

I thought, after reading about borax here on this forum, I would give it a try. OMG! In one day, the soreness in my knees has vanished! .... Also, my psoriasis seems a lot better after 2 days drinking 1/4 tsp borax in 1 litre of water per day."

Another one about toe fungus: "He wet his feet and then took a handful (of borax) and rubbed it all over his feet. He said it stopped itching immediately! He was stunned. A few weeks later I asked him how his athletes foot was and he said: oh wow! it hasn't come back! that stuff totally cured it !!!"...."

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on board, or I'm on Borax [Smile]
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Just had my first 1/8 teaspoon in water. It actually tasted quite refreshing!
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi - I got the capsule form of boron & I've been taking it on & off as per dowsing since the Fukishima event.

I still didn't get to the article yet (I will look at it later & also the interview about DumbMeters...). Here's some further info, though -

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/894.html

http://www.regenerativenutrition.com/boron-osteoporosis-arthritis-allergies-menopause-hormones.asp

http://www.lef.org/abstracts/codex/boron_index.htm

http://newparadigmdigest.com/5706/additional-radiation-protection-from-boron-bentonite-clay-and-fulvic-minerals/

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well THAT is interesting! Will be looking for some on my next shopping trip!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

here is one posting about Borax in Thailand, what it is called http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/borax.html (scroll down)
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like excellent stuff to my wife and I. I take a couple supplements that have boron in them, but don't feel the effect is the same. Borax seems much more potent.

I couldn't find anything on the web about it now illegal to buy in the U.S. My local grocery store had 3 boxes left, which does give the impression that they have no plans to restock it. Any references regarding it's impending lack of availability? Just seems so crazy, as I guess so much is going crazy these days with our government and large corporations.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the last box on shelf at Walmart yesterday. Shelf tag wasn't a discontinue tag, so looks like the word it out. When I try it I will start slowly.

1/8 tsp to liter of good water. I'll try that over a two day instead of one. If there's a warning of herx reaction, my past tells me to go slower.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a box of 20 Mule Team Borax at Target. Only ingredient is sodium tetraborate. And it says on the box not to ingest.

So is this the Boron ingrediant that will possibly help with all the issues mention in the articles/posts?

I see the 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon amounts depending on weight.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this found in the cleaning supplies?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we went through the mold protocol last year,

I told our mold inspector that at one time I had a moldy front loader washing machine (which I had replaced)

He mentioned getting the Borax (at Target, in clothes detergent aisle)

and re-washing our clothes in it.

But I'm sorry, I wouldn't drink it. Just me.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I would NEVER want to consume something not processed for internal use - you just don't know what else is in that box. Could be stuff added to make it not stick together - or to help the processing line run more smoothly.

There are surely food-safe options. Don't buy stuff intended to go into the washing machine - unless you have inside information that it contains no additives and the box lining is also safe.

[Maybe Dr. K has that inside information about the box he bought but individual Target stores may spray chemicals around boxes to keep bugs away.]

Other ingredients are not required to be listed, as it's not a food.

We have no way of knowing if there are rat poisonings or bug repellents used in the plant storage or processing areas. There could also be chemicals in the box lining.

The article looks very good at first view - and I'll be back to read more - and also scout out other options if one wants this in a safe powdered form.

A few posts above (Razzle & Gael) speak to the wisdom of obtaining Boron in our diet. Additional information can be found with a web search for:

Boron in Foods
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MattH - Yes, that is what the article is being discussed

RZR - Where I shop it is in the laundry detergent section, right next to the fancy brand name stuff. It's common use is in laundry, so that's where you should expect to find it.

Keebler - That was my initial thought as I read the article, that it is not processed for internal use. The reality is, in the case, I do not think there quite will be other options for the same chemical. It is illegal to sell it as a foodstuff, and it's unrealistic the FDA would approve it as a drug during our lifetime ... unless we have several billion people dying and the revolution and all that ...

In the past, I have turned down many non-vegan items with practitioners telling me I needed such-and-such to get well, only to find later how their information on the topic and on what was causing my health situation was incomplete, and there were always other fine options (often better options). So, I do agree, in the general sense, whatever the borax might do for someone, there are always other options to get where you want to go, even if they do not involve boron.

Given the amount I have taken, pendulum approved, just today, even though I have been taking other supplements with boron in it, I will say, for some, do not expect boron supplements produced for consumption to have the same effect.

It is items like these where I feel very fortunate to have the pendulum to give the sanity check on consuming the items. I do agree care should be taken for something sold for laundry. For all I know, maybe there is rat poison in it, and that is what gives it a useful property for me. That's not so far off from all the antiparasite and antiprotozoal and antibiotics I've taken.

I remember a similar discussion on GSE, whether it was a poison used in extracting it that made it useful.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Perhaps a Boron homeopathic dose will do?

Carol in PA sent me this detail regarding mouth ulcers I fight:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QZZ0/

Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Borax, 30C Pellets
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

Right on target with homeopathic!

From Wikipedia: Food additive

Borax, given the E number E285, is used as a food additive in some countries, but is banned in the US. As a consequence, certain foods, such as caviar, produced for sale in the US contain higher levels of salt to assist preservation.

Its use as a cooking ingredient is to add a firm rubbery texture to the food, or as a preservative. In oriental cooking it is mostly used for its texturing properties.

In Asia, Borax was found to have been added to some Chinese foods like hand-pulled noodles lamian and some rice noodles like Shahe fen, Kway Teow, and Chee Cheong Fun recipes.

BON APPETIT !!!

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Perhaps a Boron homeopathic dose will do?

Carol in PA sent me this detail regarding mouth ulcers I fight:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7QZZ0/

Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Borax, 30C Pellets
-

Interesting idea!
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boron is in The Core too.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

After looking this over - I think I'm going to switch to the borax after I use up the boron caps I have.

I don't have any problems with using it. We don't really know what's in anything for sure. Peanut butter could have rat hair or droppings, supplements have additives, food crops could be watered with sewage water... we don't really know. I saw lunchmeat in Walmart that had bacteriophages in it. Did I buy it? - no f--king way.

Companies that manufacture things use big vats of stuff like baking soda in toothpaste, etc. Who knows how clean it is - really. For all the incredable things that borax can do for the body - there's reason to think why it may have been "demonized" by certain authority figures.

I could totally see it being made "unfit for human consumption"... Yet, I found one website that claims it's in HPV vaccines. Go figure that.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

The other thing that crossed my mind is just imagine all the stuff they put in our tap water...

Fluoride is a toxic chemicaal from what I have studied. Borax is supposed to remove it from the body. Could it be worse than what is in tap water? I doubt it but I don't really know. I guess I'll have to try it to know for sure.

FYI - http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/borax.html

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to sound sarcastic when I said I wouldn't drink it, just me.

That's how I type/communicate a lot- short.

Lord knows I'm in no place to judge.

Thanks.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I agree with Keebler and Surprise. I would not use Borax from the store internally, although I don't discount the positives of boron.

A lot of laundry detergent may have scents added to them--those can be extremely dangerous--even the ones labelled unscented may have added chemicals.

HIker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are great links, Gigi (I missed the second one before). It's fascinating to me that gluten sensitivity and candida overgrowth inhibit mineral absorption. It explains a lot of my issues.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My first concern was added chemicals in the factory itself that could get into the powder. Bug killers and the like.

But it's not just about the product but the machinery it runs through and on - any lubricants to the machine, etc.

But as Catgirl brings to mind - the machinery that run the Borax also runs all kinds of other things and maybe not just laundry soaps. Could be household or industrial powders of any kind.

Some companies share machinery so the products that run though any one machine could be many. Cross contamination is likely. Not just about the other products but their other additives, too. These are not normally listed.

Just as those who are gluten-free cannot consume foods run on machines that process wheat, barley, rye or spelt, we'd have to know what else runs on the machine where OUR borax would have been.

How this is made, does it soak in vinyl and bake to dry, etc. We'd ask the same things about our food and reject foods for the same reasons.

"Natural Flavors" are piped through plastic pipes, soaked in vinyl pans in heat. [Aside from the fact that most are really chemicals and not "natural" at all] I reject any vinyl-soaked-baked items in my diet.

I consider the lining of a can or box of food - and also usually reject foods surrounded by plastic due to the leaching of endocrine disrupting chemicals.

It's just good to have all the answers from start to finish about anything that we consume.

Boron is in many supplements, in food grade quality. There also may be other foods safe avenues for it alone. But it's also right there for us in food, in balance.

We ask these same questions with all supplements and foods. If any borax company can satisfactorily answer all the questions, great.

Some naturopathic doctors carry Boron, too, just not sure in what combination with other nutrients.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-triple-boron-complex-3-mg-250-caps

Swanson's Triple Boron Complex

http://www.thenaturalonline.com/life-extension-boron-3-mg-100-capsules.html

Life Extension BORON

http://www.vrp.com/dispatcher?search=Boron

Vitamin Research Products - Ten formulas that include Boron.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?previousText=Boron&Ns=P_SoldQuantity|1&showAll=true&Ntt=Boron&x=0&y=0&ntk=products&pgSz=34

VitaCost.com

34 Products with Boron. Some seem to be just "boron" itself.
-

[ 09-30-2012, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pharmacy told me boric acid had been removed from the market due to some nasty problem it caused. Don't know what that was. They don't carry it anymore.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Keebler!

--------------------

lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not ingesting cleaning supplies.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Boron may not have the same properties as borax. Borax is a naturally occuring mineral salt that boron is derived from. Look for 100% borax with no additives. It's available on the internet.

There is alot of information on the internet about it, as well. I guess it's relative about what people want to consume or not. I think there are alot worse things commonly sold as food every day. It just is sold in a different package & in a different section of the supermarket, comes out of our faucets, or is in the air we breathe.

I guess no one asked us if we wanted to drink fluoride or breathe jet fuel every day.

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Boron is mined in only two places, in Turkey and in California.

Here is a bag of 25 kg from turkey:
http://www.hjellekjemi.no/Boraks_Article_100.aspx

GiGi
Member # 259

http://salempress.com/store/samples/global_resources/global_resources_borax.htm
GiGi
Member # 259

http://www.growyouthful.com/remedy/borax.php

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement