LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Scale for weighing meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scale for weighing meds
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know a good scale to buy to weigh out meds? I need to take much less of a metal detox drug and I am not being reimbursed by my insurance for the compounded drug.

They are telling me that it is not a compounded drug because it is only one ingredient. She sort of suggested I get my own scale and weigh out the full strength drug myself.

It could come in handy for getting off benzo also. The problem is I have no idea as to how accurate it has to be and the prices are all over the place.

Thanks.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Not all would be equal in terms of weight to strength. Some would be measure by volume, not weight.

A GRAM SPOON would be of help for VOLUME MEASURE.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"getting off benzo plan" would need to involve great liver support as benzos deplete glutathione and impair liver function. I just stumbled upon that last night and what I posted in response to breathing issues:

-
When I hear of someone having trouble breathing, acetaminophen use comes to mind, so I'll post a bit about that first, just in case you are taking anything with that in it.

Acetaminophen is known to be a risk to the liver due to the fact that it can prevent and decrease glutatione in the liver - but that also goes on to decrease glutathione in the BODY, and that can lead to breathing trouble. See first link below.

And that lead me to wonder if xanax might also decrease glutathione and if it could have similar action on the lungs. Seems like it may.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/20/health/evidence-mounts-linking-acetaminophen-and-asthma.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

December 2011

Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link

Excerpt:

. . . Even a single dose of acetaminophen can reduce the body�s levels of glutathione, a peptide that helps repair oxidative damage that can drive inflammation in the airways, researchers have found. . . .

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/22/8962056-tiny-overdoses-of-tylenol-can-add-up-to-deadly-damage

Tiny overdoses of Tylenol can add up to deadly damage

By Rachel Rettner 11-22-11

Taking even slightly too much Tylenol over a period of several days can lead to an overdose with deadly consequences, a new study says. . . .

From a cross search of: xanax, glutathione

http://psychdrugs.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/heath-ledge-dies-of-rx-cocktail-includes-alprazolam-xanax-and-niravam-and-doxylamine-valium/

Excerpts:

. . . XANAX, like all drugs, depletes the body of essential vitamins, minerals, melatonin and glutathione (the body's master antioxidant). . . .

. . . Benzodiazepines deplete approximately 50% of the glutathione from the white blood cells within five hours, and these cells defend our body from infection and foreign material.

This may explain why prolonged use of benzodiazepines can severely compromise our health. Dr. Jimmy Gutman describes Glutathione as �Food for the Immune System.�

Replenishing the body of critical Glutathione levels not only helps to improve immune function, but also allows the body to detoxify naturally. . .

http://anxiety.emedtv.com/xanax/xanax-warnings-and-precautions.html

Xanax Warnings and Precautions

Excerpts:

. . . Xanax can cause severe drowsiness and difficulty breathing, which may be life- threatening. . . .

. . . Xanax can be dangerous for people with lung problems or breathing problems. Be sure to discuss any breathing or lung problems with your healthcare provider before taking Xanax. . . .

==================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for digital pocket scale at Amazon.com.

They are not expensive, and have hundreds of reviews.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know ktbotanicals.com sells them, just as another option.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Keebler. I know I need off the benzo I am on. I have a stress in my life that needs to be resolved before I can get off completely. I have reduced somewhat.

Thanks Carol and Michael for info about scales. I will continue to look into this.

btw the compound pharmacy is going to send me new forms to submit to insurance. I don't hold out much hope it will work. Insurance never seems to.

Of course they pay for the benzo. Only if I wanted to try to get off and have the compound pharmacy make it smaller doses. Then they wouldn't pay of course.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weighing meds?? Am I missing something here?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement