LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr H patients please PM me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr H patients please PM me
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EDIT:: Reasking question.

There is a drug for cystic form that he commonly uses. In all his protocols he talks about using it (literally 75%+) he almost always says or adds if its in text ? Pluse xxx/xxx for 3-5 days.

My question is to understand why that one drug isn't sufficient. If he ever uses it alone. And if its stopped while the other drug possibilities are pulsed.

Also if those other possibilities (not many, once again, guess which form of abx i speak of) are intolerable for those with neuropathy, how does he proceed to handle cystic form.

My questions are honestly to understand drugs and thought process behind the pulsing and use of the original drug. It is a very specific question. If you have worked with Dr H or know a lot about people who have or how he works. Please PM me so you can potentially answer my question.

[ 05-15-2013, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: stiffyoungman ]

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nix that idea. It's all about your own particular circumstances.

For example, say my husband can tolerate every med known to man and I can't tolerate anything. We would never be on the same types of meds.

I know for a fact that Dr H doesn't practice protocol medicine. He adapts to your specific needs.

Are you talking about his lectures? Because he has never mentioned any rotations with my self or my husband.

Plus, his MSIDS model contains 15 differentials, so it would be hard to have any particular rotation in place. There would literally be 100's of combinations.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lax mom,

its not about that. im trying to understand the reasoning. he basically says he almost always uses one drug, then mentions pulsing another similar drug on the same protocol (this is common on many different protocols he's talked about) and im just confused on whether the original drug is stopped during this pulse, or taken at the same time. also why the original drug is not enough on its own. I know I'm not supposed to say much in public forum about drs protocols so im being unspecific on purpose but trust me, im trying to understand the concept and the effectiveness and why he chooses to do this. obviously each person would require different things but I'm trying to understand the thought process behind it.

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending pm

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

edited first post. i seemed to have been too vauge in the orignal
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

edited first post. i seemed to have been too vauge in the orignal
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil I think

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stiffyoungwoman, my advice after seeing Dr. H for three years is to ask all these questions of him or his staff. I am sure they will do their best to explain it to you.

Every patient is different, and I also think in many ways it's trial and error with patients to see what they respond well to.

There are a boatloads of meds I can't.

I cannot take plaquenil. So we have had to use other combinations of things instead.

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

I've been trying to reach his staff for a while now, never can I get anybody on the phone. If you have any advice on how to reach them please let me know Daphnesmom1.

Why on all protocols does he seem to say to pulse Tinda/Flag while on Plaq?

Are those patients going off Plaq for the pulse days of Tinda/Flag?

Does this also indicate that Tinda/Flag are much better cyst busters than Plaq?

Does he only pulse Tinda/Flag if people aren't getting better solely on Plaq?

He really made it seem in the last confrence that the normal is Plaq + pulse of Tinda or Flagyl but doesn't mention if they stop Plaq or not. Also didn't give reasoning on why or when to Pulse or when to only use Plaq.

I'm not trying to get a cookie cutter protocol by any means, I'm trying to understand it so I have options. I believe many times if the patient is very aware, he can discuss his own ideas with the LLMD he is working with. That is my goal, to be as informed as possible on all methods out there so that I can make informed decisions.

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he's stopping plaquenil as half the reason for taking it isn't it's ph or cyst busting properties but for it's anti inflammatory effects.

I'm not sure though. My dr trained with Dr. H and he doesn't stop plaq for anything.

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know where you are getting your info, but it's incorrect. He doesn't have specific protocols.

If you want to be his patient, you should leave a VM. I thought you already have a few LLMD's?

I was on Plaquenil because I had auto-immune tendencies.

Grapefruit Seed Extract can be used as a cyst buster.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Ya I watched his most recent lecture on MSIDS and don't remember anything on him mentioning a specific protocol.

Especially with Flagyl/Tinda. He does mention he uses plaquenil but he has a high success rate cause he takes patient by patient approach.

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is true. There is no single protocol for all patients with any LLMD, really. Each patient with lyme (or a combination of tick-borne or chronic stealth infections) has a unique case and must be addressed individually.

That "path" may not be able to be determined in all detail from day one but usually needs to be determined along the way.

Even if "just lyme" (which is nearly never) there are many variables involved.

There may be some sort of "rules" or guidelines, of course, reasons WHY "never this" or "always that" might be done regarding Rx, supplements or life-style advice.

I suggest calling your doctor's office at a time that might be less busy, ask if the office manager has just a minute to talk - and ask if there is a particular article, a book, a link - or other way - that you might be able to better understand.

This way, it comes right from that doctor's office -- still would be a basic tutorial in the topic but might help then as a basis for the in-person discussion about this at your next appointment.

However, if this is about the pills you are to take today and until the next appointment and you are unsure of the instructions, THAT must be cleared up immediately.

You ask why combinations at some time, alone at others, pulsing at others?

It's strategy. It's understanding the science of the particular infections, in all their forms, behaviors, etc. -- and combinations of infections . . .

as well as how well the body can tolerate treatment. The liver or kidneys may be able to tolerate only so much of any one thing or combination for set amount of time -- but this can vary patient to patient.

There are many other variables, too, such as how a bad-boy microbe can develop resistence to a particular drug, usually when used alone for a certain frame of time.

Malaria (and Babesia as it's similar) is one infection that requires a combination approach for this reason.

It's much harder for the germ to "read" "decode" a combination of treatment than a single drug.

And, when certain herbs (not just any ones but very particular ones) are added, it can also become harder to "decode" therefore that's why an integrative approach can be of such help.

Still, over time, the germ can often figure things out so this is why pulsing, switching around of combinations, and other strategies are so very important.

Pulsing can also take advantage of the behavior of a certain germ. If there is a time when it's more active, that's the time to hit it hardest.

Of course, with good liver & kidney support supplements and self-care, always. Always. This helps the body to better tolerate treatment and aids in healing along the way.
-

[ 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I have a very, very hard time writing - other than posting from other authors' works with just quick notes.

If that above post makes ANY sense to anyone, it would be nice to know. Even as I re-read it, I'm not sure. Partly as I feel so ill most of the time and the world just spins but I would really like to know if that makes sense. If not, good to know, too, as I would hope to be able to improve my actual writing / thinking skills.

Others may also be able to explain better &/or post links to LL authors who have done so.

LINKS to articles & LECTURES would be great, too, as this question comes up a lot and I don't seem to have a good reference in my file notes.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Makes sense to me.

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler -- very good explanation.

However, some patients do not do well with pulsing. Hubby just could not tolerate that approach -- almost always ended up in ER when we tried that. He did much better staying on meds continuously -- including flagyl. Just had to start with low doses and ramp up slowly.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil isn't a cyst buster. It alters the ph of the cells to the tetracyclines and macrolides work better.

I do Plaquenil and Tindamax at the same time. I think it is pulsed for a couple of reasons one because it's a pretty rugged abx and two because it has a cancer warning attached to it. And then there are the side effects.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

I understood you Keebler.

For instance, my LLMD does not even know what my next course of action is going to be until I have my next appt.

Treatment ebbs and flows based on my body's reactions to what I'm currently on, not based on a fixed protocol.

Some newer LLMD's just don't have that many tools in their toolbox. For them, they may try every patient on the same thing.

When a Dr has hundreds of options, the combos are endless.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stiffyoungman, are you talking about Dr. H. in NY, CA, or somewhere else?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

RC1, he definitively put Plaq in the cyst busting abx on his slide show. And even says it aloud from what I recall.

Keebler I appreciate your reply but I must be a worse writer than you because people here really are not understanding me.

I'm very very fully aware that there are no specific protocols used with people. Or a cookie cutter start then move on from there. How could I have watched his entire speech and not understood that?

What I didn't understand was if Plaq was indeed a cyst buster or not. Because if it was, why would he also pulse Tinda/Flagyl as those are known to not be well tolerated (IN GENERAL) and have the most severe yeast growths, etc. And if RC1 is right also Cancer warnings.

Then if the reasoning was that Plaq is not nearly as effective as a cyst buster as Tinda/Flagyl and thats why he pulses them, on the days they take Tinda/Flagyl are they also taking Plaq or not (obviously that might be person specific too but if one works better in vivro then he may attempt to see if it works better in his patients)

Just because everyone is different and its a patient by patient approach does not mean certain abx are not better than others for certain things. Sure, one that typically sucks could work way better than any other abx for some people. Or that 1 special person.

I'm simply trying to be come as educated as I possibly can. Cyst busters are to me the most important because theres so few options. There are MANY options that work on the other fronts so if one doesn't tolerate or get better you have many options.

If these are stupid questions I apologize, that is not my intent to flood the board with silly questions. Plaq is not a commonly talked about drug. I rarely see it discussed anywhere. Its not in the holy grail PDF from Dr. B that is passed around. Maybe I'll have to wait until his 600 page book comes out to understand it.

lax mom
Member # 38743

If you want to be his patient, schedule an appt. We don't know his thoughts behind what he Rx's when and why.

Frankly, I am a bit protective because he is my and my husband's LLMD. We are not supposed to get into a Drs specific protocols on this board.

You stated that you have a few LLMD's and wanted to travel around to the top 3 while waiting on your blood work to stabilize. If you are able to do all of that, why are you even treating?

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused by all of this. [bonk]

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Ok, stiffyoungman.

In an entire year, my husband only did 2 weeks of Tindamax. He couldn't tolerate it. It was supposed to be 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

Now he is on Grapefruit seed extract.

He was on Plaquenil from the beginning. Now that he's well, he is no longer on that. Just some herbs.

I am sending you a PM.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)

daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

oh and sorry I called you "stiffyoungwoman"

Haha..

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil is hydroxychloroquine. It is mentioned in the Burrascano Guidelines a number of times.

When searching the Guidelines for a medication, you have to use the generic name of the med. Otherwise, you may or may not find what Burrascano says about it.

To find the generic name, just type the brand name into a search engine.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was one study that I'm aware of done by Brorson about Plaquenil being a cyst buster.

I did Plaquenil for months and when I went on Tindamax, no effect one way or another. Pulsed it.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil IS supposed to have some action on the cysts, as Pocono says.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see this current thread about plaquenil, talking about side effects?

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/124339

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to think Plaquenil was a cyst buster, probably because pair it with Zithro and holy herxing.

When I first started treatment almost 3 years ago I was told it was a cyst buster. A few of the top Docs now seem to think that it isn't. But who knows, maybe it is.

Really, there is so much we don't know.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm not up to date on other uses for it, I've never used it or had it offered (as I've never had treatment with a LLMD). However, I've read some of Brorson articles about the cyst form and find very good detail there about the "science" and "behavior" of all that.

When I've seen references to the this Rx elsewhere, I always assumed Plaquenil was used to combat Babesia coinfection (as it's very similar to Malaria). Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) is used to treat or prevent malaria.

Some interesting thoughts, from just one perspective 5 years ago:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2008/12/plaquenil-alone.html

Plaquenil Alone ? From LymeMD Blog 2008
-

[ 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement