LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are there situations where taurine is contraindicated?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there situations where taurine is contraindicated?
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember seeing/hearing about this, but I can't recall where or when. I've searched through medical, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It can be a bit hard on the stomach, for some. If taken in the middle of a meal, that can be better.

It can also make some a bit sedated, so it may be best with the evening meal.

Generally, if in other formulas, the balance of other things can prevent the sleepiness that can happen with a larger dose, alone.

It's nice late evening with a bit of a snack, to help with sleep.

We don't make enough taurine on our own so we need it from our diet. It is in some plants, to a degree but the richest sources are eggs, fish and muscle meats.

Vegetarian, vegans or those who do not consume daily eggs, fish or meat, should supplement. Without enough taurine, vision and heart issues can arise.

FWIW, cats make no taurine for themselves and, every so often, you hear of a cat going blind on a vegetarian or vegan diet. This is due to lack of taurine (if they did not receive a supplement). That illustrates the importance of taurine to vision for mammals.

If supplemented, it's usually best as a blend. Works well with magnesium. Most nutitrional supplements are best with food for the best balance and asorption. They are food, afterall, so they "like" to be with other food, so to speak.

Herbal supplements can stand on their own better (although that can depend upon the particular herb).

A note about the Energy Drinks that are flooding the convenience stores - AVOID ENERGY DRINKS. Taurine is in many of these but there is so much other stuff - some dangerous and so out of balance. The taurine in these would not offer any calming after all the "zoom to the moon" additives included.

For some sad reason, there are some ingredients in these that - otherwise - could be healthful. I think they are added to mask the addictive and stimulating crap.

Just avoid. Green Tea is fabulous for a balanced approach to endurance, as are many adrenal support options.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You may have been thinking about one of these 3 amino acids highlighted below (?):

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

[See post for] Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. I thought there was another reason for one not to take it.

The issue is whether to take ursodiol or TUDCA (which is new to me) with rocephin.

From what I gather, the ursodiol pulls the taurine out of you. And (not sure about this) the TUDCA preserves the taurine and increases your taurine level.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
There may be another reason. So don't stop with my posts. I don't take any Rx and have never had the opportunity to be on a Rx lyme protocol. So, I've never needed to find out.

So, it may be that what you wonder about is something to consider.

Still, SOME taurine MUST. absolutely MUST be in our diet, somehow. Our bodies do not make enough of this for our neurological, heart or eye health.

And plants don't contain enough, generally. Spirulina may, though that would need some study to be sure.

If there is a reason to avoid taurine supplements, unless vegan or vegetarian, food sources may well be enough. If vegan or vegetarian, it may be that timing or combination with food may be okay.

One's LLMD or LL ND should know.
-

beaches
Member # 38251

We were posting at the same time but you apparently have very fast fingers [Smile]

Thanks so much for the link. That is possibly what I was thinking of, as I do remember reading it. But I can't be certain, which is annoying the blazes out of me!

And, I know about the energy drinks. We avoid them. One of my "hobbies" lol is reading labels.

Thanks again.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I have posted often about avoiding additional glutamine / glutamic acid -- even when contains in otherwise balanced formulas, IMO, we should avoid that ingredient and go only for formulas without that added.

We need some, of course, but get plenty in food - and, sometimes, too much. There are some posts in that thread explaining which high glutamine foods might best be avoided by those with excito-neurological issues.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In the late 80's there was a problem with one lot of one brand of Taurine & Contamination.

Sadly, while any contamination is of great concern, the FDA totally over reacted and pull all brands and (I think but not quite sure) may have banned taurine supplements altogether for a while.

Of course, as with any supplement, any brand, any time, it's important to be sure of the source. I do think folks here are very well educated and aware of that but I just have to put that here in case someone is reading this who is brand new to supplement.

They are not all the same and contamination is occuring in all these categories: Rx, OTC, and supplements. So, we just have to be sure of our source, and their product sources and practices.
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taurine is a sulfur amino acid. For those of us who have difficulty with sulfites (methylation genomic variant CBS and/or SUOX), this can present a problem.

But the protocol for CBS/SUOX includes a directive to reduce taurine intake, not completely eliminate it...because taurine is an essential amino acid.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you wonder about contraindiations, a web and PubMed search would be in order.

I did a Google search for: Taurine, contraindications

On the first page of hits, I see no URL that impresses me and I don't have energy to pursue this - but you can.

Also search PubMed

If you can find good naturopathic sites, search those, too. REAL research sites, though, so many of the commercial sites are not really research sites. Bastyr University's site may offer insight.

Then, search for drug interactions. That's a totally different category.

Ask your LLMD or LL ND for they are most often way ahead on matters of what does or does not work for those with tick-borne disease.

As taurine can be a wonderful helper for the liver to metabolize waste products (toxins), I can see that it may be best timed apart from any Rx, as is best for all liver support to be kept separate from Rx so that the Rx can reach full dose in the body and not be filtered out too soon.

Generally, remember that it's best to keep separate by 2-3 hours, both directions of the clock:

Rx

Supplements

Probiotics
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
DRIVING

For those who feel a bit more tired or sedated with taurine (even if taken with food and balanced with other supplements) . . . do not drive until this is leveled out.

Generally, it's never good idea to try something new - anything Rx or supplement - and then just drive.

It's best to introduce new Rx or supp. at a time when - at least for 8 hours - there is no driving to be done, no helicopter to pilot, no boat to navigate, etc.

If ANYTHING sedates to the point of feeling sleepy when considering driving - just don't do it. DROWSY DRIVING can be just as bad, if not worse, than driving drunk. It can be deadly.

Passing along this Public Service Announcement that I recently saw on TV. Please share with all you know.

http://drowsydriving.org/

DROWSY DRIVING.org
-

Hmm...
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hmm...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am heterozygous for a number of snps that deal with sulphur metabolism (CBS etc.). It is advised to limit taurine intake under these circumstances. I had a neurotransmitter test done and sure enough taurine came back as high. I did take taurine for months before that (as suggested by this website) but that was obviously the wrong move.

Now my doctor wants me to try a sulphur detox before doing any glutathione or NAC.

Posts: 131 | From Neptune, NJ | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Thanks Keebler for scoping out pubmed. I will check out Bastyr U's site for more info,as well as possible drug interactions, which I didn't even think of! I usually use drugs.com for that, as it lets me save separate lists of meds/supps for each family member.

Razzle and Hmm...

Thanks so much for your replies. I think this is what was in the back of my mind when I was told about the benefits of the TUDCA vs. the ursodiol.

And yet, I STILL can't say for sure [Roll Eyes] but that is the most logical reason why red flags went up for me.

I had NO idea taurine is a sulfur amino acid. I have the CBS mutation and I generously passed it on to one of the kids, as I am a very giving person [Big Grin] We do not know if we have SUOX in addition to that.

My family gets plenty of taurine through our diet: we eat eggs, meats, fish on a regular basis, eventhough those foods themselves are high in sulfur.

With this CBS genetic mutation, I think the ursodiol (which apparently causes your body to excrete taurine) is a better alternative than the TUDCA, which apparently "saves" your taurine from being excreted.

Thank you both so very much for your input. Now I can call the doc and explain to him why I didn't have a good first impression of TUDCA and why taurine raised a red flag.

I think we should all just be going for our PhDs at this point. What we have to learn is absolutely staggering.

I'm just glad I still have the brain for it. Just don't ask me to go through other household paperwork. I'd rather chew a piece of glass [Smile]

PS: Hmm...I will have to look up the neurotransmitter testing. I can't remember those results. What kind of sulphur detox is your doc recommending? I've never heard of that before.

Hmm...
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hmm...     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaches,
We didn't talk about it extensively (as there is so much to go over!), but my doc made sure to check out each supplement for sulphur and then recommended Sparga by Nutramedix.

I haven't tried it yet bc I just had the appointment and I have so many other things to start (and obviously it's bad to start too many things at once).

Also, another doctor recommended that I drink only distilled water and get a filter for our well water here. This water is definitely high in sulphur.

I hope I can get this squared away properly so I can move on to using glutathione and treating methylation.

Posts: 131 | From Neptune, NJ | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Hi again hmm...Never heard of Sparga but I'll add that to my never-ending list of things to look into.

I would tend to agree that you should get a filter for your well water, but not so sure about drinking only distilled water.

We tend to drink bottled water due to its convenience and the fact that our town fluoridates the water supply. I know drinking from plastic bottles has its risks, but there's only so much I can micro-manage.

I totally understand that you have many things to start. Best of luck to you and thanks for your input.

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it interesting that Sparga is derived from a high sulfur-content vegetable... I'd like to understand how that could detox sulfur, but maybe it works fine and I'm just dense... [bonk]

Anyway, I emailed the company to find out what they put in the product...they seem to not be interested in putting ingredient listings anywhere on their website...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm...
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39308

Razzle,

Yeah I thought about the asparagus/sulphur thing too. I don't really understand, but at a certain point I guess I won't! I'm at the point where I want to stop thinking about this stuff and just do what somebody tells me. Unfortunately every doctor I go to seems to find a discrepancy or contradiction with a previous doctor or conclusion.

Anyway, all I remember about asparagus is that sulphur is responsible for the funny pee smell, so maybe that has to do with sulphur elimination?

Razzle
Member # 30398

Interesting:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/changeyourdiet/f/Why-Does-Eating-Asparagus-Make-Urine-Smell-Bad.htm

--------------------
-Razzle

beaches
Member # 38251

Girls, the fun just doesn't end for us, does it?

I have always hsd an aversion to asparagus. Never bought it, never cooked it, never liked the looks of it. I always found it pretty gross, to be honest.

Razzle, you apparently already did research on this. That's enough for me. I highly doubt you're the dense party here.

They say things happen for a reason. I think there's a reason asparagus has never been part of my life [Roll Eyes]

Hmm... I think we can all relate re: just stop thinking about this stuff and just do what somebody tells you to do.

If only things were that easy! How better off we'd all be.

Razzle
Member # 30398

All I know is, when I get a B12 shot, I can tell I'm dumping sulfur the next couple days.

I've actually had a doctor recommend huge doses of methyl-B12 shots for me (25mg/day)...I didn't do it because I can't afford it (insurance won't cover compounded meds).

Thanks Beaches, I appreciate your confidence in me...

--------------------
-Razzle

beaches
Member # 38251

Razzle, how do you know you're dumping the sulfur after the B12 shots? Do you have specific symptoms?

Wow, who recommended those mega-doses of the methyl B12? 25 mg/day sounds like a HUGE dose by anyone's standards. And I'm far from well-versed in that matter.

No need to appreciate my confidence in you.

Thsnk YOU for sharing your knowledge to help the rest of us.

Razzle
Member # 30398

I can smell the sulfur when I use the bathroom...

A rather famous LLMD here in the NW recommended the massive B12 dose.

--------------------
-Razzle

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement