LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » advice on last doc app please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: advice on last doc app please
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really appreciate some advice on this. I've been seeing a new doctor for about 7 months now was with the last doctor for over a year.

I've tried a lot of treatments including 14 months straight on iv's, nothing, no improvements probably worse.

So my new doctor is considered top notch, had no choice been sick for 9 years, at least prob infected as a kid. I usually see the pa but you see the doctor every so many visits. So a few months ago I saw the doctor and I was very very happy with him, he is very positive and he just lifted my spirits.

When I saw the doctor I was having an exceptionally bad day, could barely hold my head up. Doctor told me I will get you better, I just need to figure some stuff out, very understandable. Chronic lyme is complex and I'll take anything at this point.

So he took me off all antibiotics, left me on plaquenal and nystatin and put me on a bart and bab2 formulas,. he said he wants me to immediately quit smoking and change my diet.

I've been smoke free for a month and a half after 15 years of smoking. I am also changing my diet slowly no sugar,grain,dairy,etc... taking it slow so I do not fail.

The doctor specifically stated he changed the meds like this and wanted the lifestyle changes because he wants to see what is keeping me so ill. He wants to see how much my lifestyle and food intolerances are playing a role in all this.

So my last appointment a few weeks ago I saw the pa, they sat down and said congratulations your healthy..I was extremely ill again could barely hold my head up. I couldn't believe my ears. And the pa thinks my symptoms are fibro...

I could barely talk, but I gave a puzzling look and said no, I'm still on my death bed and this is not fibro, this is lyme. This is why i've been coming here.

The pa said the doctor wouldn't have put you on herbals if your bacteria load was down. And now another one continuing to push the fibro diagnosis and pushed tons of meds I don't want..lyrica,nuvigil..

I don't understand, the docs and the pa are not communicating. Or not even reading each others notes? They would have known why the doctor did what he did.

It's not like I don't like the pa, I just feel the doc can do a better job and is not even mentioning the word fibro, he told me I have lyme and agreed I have been previously misdiagnosed all these years.

What do you do if you are very comfortable with the doc and not the pa which you see most of your visits.

Switching doctors is not an option, I spent a lot of money on this doctor. I am losing the will to live every day, my body and mind cannot take anymore.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. thanks

Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, if you have not done so then I would get a copy of the doc's notes from your last appointment with him to make sure that he is being straight with you.

Second, I would write a brief letter to the doc and probably fax it to him stating your concerns.

Does the doc have more than one PA? If not, then you are kind of stuck. Is there any way you can be seen only by the doctor and not by the PA?

My thoughts are that if you have seen little progress after 14 months of IV's then it could be the real problem is a coinfection such as bart or babs that is holding you back. Personally I am not sure that the herbals you are on are strong enough to really address the coinfection issues.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it seems like you may need to get yet a 3rd opinion.

The doctor/patient relationship is a very very important issue. If you can't communicate and work together then you could just be throwing your money away.

Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is quite an accomplishment.

Good luck.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bea - I've already been through 2 well-regarded LLMDs who either made me worse, or didn't make any progress with me.

I believe it is because they were hyperfocused on the lyme and not on the coinfections (I have babesia & bartonella).

My husband (who also has lyme & company) is in the same boat.

Definitely follow up with your doctor, but as the Burrascano guidelines warn, if you don't treat the coinfections, you're not going to get better from lyme.

And then there's candida and parasites, too.

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on all

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Messa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Messa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief! So sorry shannon. It sounds like the PA doesn't know what the dr is doing.

Wish you could just see the dr. I would try to somehow let the dr know that the PA says you are well. And then ask what the #*/#* is going on!

Posts: 415 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK ..step back a sec...... [dizzy] [cussing]

I'm very much praying this is a communication "Grand Canyon".

I know you're sick as a dog.....Is it possible that notes got mixed up???

Actually I know it's possible,,,a previous LLMD sent me my records per my request.

Smack dab in the middle of the papers was someone else's file,,yep, the whole shah---bang [Eek!] [Eek!] [confused]

SOOOOOOOO. Lets hope there is an error OR better yet Lyme is out and Virals are left........

So call the phone line ask for copy of recorcds...without panicky or hyper!

Just say" I'd like a copy of my file please, labs ,tests, notes etc...for my records. please ...starting with most resent if you have fax machine....or can mention you'd pay for Fed Ex.

I'll go back and read more, I hopped(sp) on this after 3rd line.

Praying for you////sending LOVE>>>>>>>CAN YOU FEEL IT ???????? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way..one doctor I know won't even start treatment at all unless you're not smoking.
FYI , Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell the doc what the pa said the next time you see him. He will straighten it out real quick. You can always ask to see the NP as well.

By the way, awesome you quit smoking! Burrascano said that patients will never get well if they smoke. I think smoking drives it deeper.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement