LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is there no cure? No end?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there no cure? No end?
sugarjo62
Member # 41896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugarjo62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read through so many threads here and on other boards.

It has become apparent that even with treatment, there is no actual cure...that this is forever. We only treat symptoms...to keep them at bay. Remission yes. A cure? Ever?

--------------------
Tested positive for Lyme/western blot in May 2010...received standard treatment of doxy for 3wks. Whoop dee doo...symptoms came back in full force following tkr in January 2012.

Posts: 46 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoops123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoops123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you treat lyme in the early stages, IMHO, I do not believe there is a cure, only remission.
Posts: 749 | From State full of ticks | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cure as far as I know.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way to PROVE cure...not the same thing as no cure...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me...being in remission is a cure.

I would give anything to be in remission.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cure. We need a cure; we need research. We need proper testing.

I have been in remission. I would like to be there again.

--------------------
"Yeah, I miss me too."

Posts: 234 | From NY originally registered in 2008 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have protomyxzoa, there is no cure. As many as 80% of us have this infection and it is one of the big reasons we do not recover - because we are feeding the pathogen.

You can get into remission. It takes a lot of commitment to stay there.

If you think of a cure or remission as going back to eating and drinking whatever you want, that will never happen. It is very frustrating but something we have to accept.

I have a lot of trouble with it myself. I don't know anyone with PR who doesn't. It is hard and if more of us accepted this, we could help each other.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is important to keep what you read on boards and forums in perspective. Majority of the people on forums and boards are posting because they are still sick.

The people who take medicine and get better do not need to post on boards. They are well and living their lives.

I think what I am trying to say is that the forums are not necessarily representative overall.

Additionally, most "viruses" are put in remission.

Do not lose hope. Hope is needed for healing.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great point, soccermama!
Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff is spot on. Not to introduce another co infection, but this one is the most overlooked, right up there with parasites. Most docs don't even recognize it as symptoms overlap with other co infections.

As far as lyme goes, I don't believe there is a cure. Cure is remission (just my opinion). I think once you have it, you have it. IMO tons of people have it and are asymptomatic, or they just don't recognize the signs.

I think it remains somewhere in your system and pops back up again with stress, toxins, age, more bites, etc. There are many things you can do to knock it into remission, which IMO is the goal line.

Read as much as you can here, and try to keep an open mind. Mine was closed shut when I got on this board (I was too stuck on conventional medicine). Now it's more open than ever. Keep trying new things (well worth it). That alone has helped my progress with lyme and company.

Oh, and welcome to Lymenet! Happy reading! [Smile]

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lax mom
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is well and out living his normal life again. He was on Prednisone and Cellcept pre-lyme treatment...so the odds were not in his favor.

How long will this last? Who knows. I'll take it though.

There is hope!

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why it makes no sense for people to hold up "cure lyme" signs at rallies. Really makes us look bad. Just want recognition, treatment guideline overhaul, and insurance reimbursement/payment.

There's plenty of people that are better, just not hanging around here anymore.

Six hangs around and she's a huge help. She's better.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janice victorov
Member # 22937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janice victorov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in remission. Have been since may, 2013. I had lyme and babs, and Bart.

No relapse in sight.

--------------------
jkv44

Posts: 1247 | From virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No cure for me.. I am able to be up most days and do small chores and errands which is a plus but that is as far as I have gotten. Then I have a day or two that I am not able to do.

I just wasn't able to tolerate abx and no longer could afford the LLMD might be the reason I have never gotten well.

Trying to live with my limitations and pray a lot. I am planning on starting abx again soon by the help of my PA.. not sure what to do anymore.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sugarjo62
Member # 41896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugarjo62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the differing perspectives.

--------------------
Tested positive for Lyme/western blot in May 2010...received standard treatment of doxy for 3wks. Whoop dee doo...symptoms came back in full force following tkr in January 2012.

Posts: 46 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success Stories:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is in remission-- no arthritis, no fatigue-- living the life of a college student. Doing well.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in remission since 2004! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by droid1226:

Six hangs around and she's a huge help. She's better.

I do nothing to stay well except normal stuff. I exercise, eat right, get plenty of rest and sunshine. I don't take anything for it. According to the medical definition of cure, that's cured.

It's a multi-faceted illness. Just going after bacteria is not enough. You have to change the terrain ... change the body so that it finds a balance of health rather than a balance of illness.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I am over borelliosis. I have not had the 28 day flares in several years. I no longer show symptoms of bartonella either. I had a lot of skin symptoms, such as brown spots and crusty moles, and they are gone. I just have a nice even tan now.

I am using the symptoms I can think of that are very specific to those infections because so many symptoms overlap with PR.

I believe the babesia duncanit is dormant too. I am not oversleeping, that is for sure.

I have been very close to remission but I never thought I was completely well so I never claimed to be. I went for many months without any meds whatsoever. I actually felt very well but my eyes remained dry and I had bouts of headaches.

I believe if I stuck to the low fat vegan diet, I would be in remission all the time - but I get off track now and then.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me that at this time, there is no "cure" for late stage lyme, BUT there is long term remission. It CAN be reached and you will be able to live a very normal life.

I am living, so know this to be true first hand since I look back now and realize I was sicker than even I knew. I mean I knew I couldn't walk or talk at my worst and only tremored, but so much more than even that.

There is hope. You just need to stick with it. Good luck.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my practitioners believes it can be cured. I do too but I think it takes a long time to get the lyme out of all of the nooks and crannies. I believe that if you can kill a few bacteria, you can eventually kill them all.

I think that there are a lot of overlooked infections such as parasites which keep us sick. When the immune system is down, then lyme can wreak havoc. My hope for my family is that once we finally rid our systems of parasites, that any future lyme reinfections will not be so debilitating and will be overcome quickly.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement