LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Frustrated over cognative losses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frustrated over cognative losses
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was an honor student in college and my work experience before having children required critical thinking. But every time I go into remission and try to work in a job (part-time) that I have to use my brain, I come out of remission.

Has anyone had severe neuro-lyme and come back to full 'brain power"? It takes me fovever it seems to verbalize concepts or understand text that requires critical thinking skills (sometimes not at all), spelling or word recall and my ability following/memorizing steps are all pretty bad.

I come across as pretty poorly educated at this point. I don't mean to make anyone else feel bad, I'm just frustrated.

I've had to go over these sentences several times to make sure I haven't left out words and they are in the correct order. I'm feeling pretty well at this point, just don't think I could hold down a job. Pretty disappointing really.

Suggestions? I'm taking Burbur, Pinella and an African root extract to detox my brain. (pulse dosing 2 wks on, 2 wks off abx)

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that I am unable to offer any advice but your brain symptoms sound so much like mine, along with your type of job. Currently I am trying to get into remission and my brain power back (hopefully it will come back).

I am worried that what is happening to you will happen to me. Do you get a new job each time?

I can't even imagine going through an interview at this point let alone performing a critical thinking job.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had so many of the neuro symptoms you were describing--and I'd been a professional writer, writing for international publications. After my Lyme dx, I struggled to remember what a verb is or a noun.

Over the course of my treatment, things have improved. In fact, they're significantly better than they were at the start.

But I'm nowhere close to where I had been in my pre-Lyme days. It breaks my heart, too. I try and do brain games on my phone and online; that helps.

I also try to stay as calm as possible. As soon as I start feeling stressed, those neuro symptoms are some of the first to surface.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am right there with you. Almost everything else has come back, but not this. I hope someone will have some good suggestions.

Some days I wonder if I was able to spend the first half of my life as a smart person, and if I am destined to spend the second half as, well, a not so smart person.

I kind of remember hearing someone saying that cognitive is the last to come back. I just hope it WILL come back.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am right there with you. Almost everything else has come back, but not this. I hope someone will have some good suggestions.

Some days I wonder if I was able to spend the first half of my life as a smart person, and if I am destined to spend the second half as, well, a not so smart person.

I kind of remember hearing someone saying that cognitive is the last to come back. I just hope it WILL come back.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@terv,

I tried to stay in my general field, but have come to the realization that it just isn't realistic... if I want to stay in remission. But yes, I had to resign each positition and apply for new ones as it has usually been a year or so before I have been able to work after each relapse.

Now, in well into middle-age, I wonder at how to reinvent myself? This time I am not going to push myself before I am ready, I learned this the hard way. Also, as I go into remission I am praying that God will open the door(s)...it's frankly more about what he wants me to do at this point in my life. I have found that this is where I am happiest and at peace.

I try to remember, my old life is past....but that doesn't mean it is over. I just get frustrated when I'm "feeling stupid"... as a lot of neuro-lyme patients like to call it. I sometimes fear the dimentia that I have heard is a real threat for people like us. Scares me stiff.

@WPinVA, I honestly don't know if it EVER will come back, but I'm going to challenge myself (as I am able) to try and re-learn all verbal and written 'stuff', or at least the major things, lyme 'ate' and see if I can't study (self-study..not college again) something that I am curious about. That way there is no stress involved in it.

I pray we all find our 'quicker' more cogent self again... somewhere in the debris! [Smile]

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you. Babesia/proto, parasite, detoxing is what has helped brain fog.
Posts: 696 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
we'll win
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for we'll win     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EWT1638,

I completely empathize. Lyme struck me very hard cognitively and in my speech, both of which derailed my career.

The rest of my answer is kind of problematic, for a couple reasons.

Years ago, with either rocephin IV or shots (or ceftriaxone, I believe I was on the shots only) or bicillin-LA shots I was able to come back to my career and my brain and speech substantially improved.

When I was on rocephin shots, my insurance company would no longer pay for the brand name Rocephin and I was switched to generic ceftriaxone. At first I did well, but then abruptly I had a batch with actually made me feel worse. I still had some of the good ceftriaxone in reserve and did my own double blind test and could readily tell the good batch from the bad batch.

The same thing happened with my bicillin-LA shots. They were excellent and then abruptly I started getting batches which made me actually feel worse. Again, I could compare it to some of the good shots I still had and knew immediately the good from the bad shots.

An effective oral regimen for me was omniceff, flagyll and ketek. But low and behold all of a sudden the major pharmacies in the area stopped carrying ketek. The pharmacies said the pharmaceutical stopped making it. I called the pharmaceutical myself who told me they were still making it.

I then found an independent pharmacy who would order it for me.
It didn't look the same from my memory and it actually made me feel worse.

Here is an oral combination I have found helpful for my brain, it includes antibiotics and naturals: omniceff, flagyll, andrographis, and Japanese knotwood. Now something is going on with andrographis. One of the largest Indian makers of herbs is no longer carrying andrographis out of "quality control" concerns; another Chinese distributor has "re-introduced" their andrographis; and it is getting difficult to find pure andrographis in stores. Look on the internet, asian countries each have their own names for andrographis.

I hope any of this has been helpful.

We'll Win (eventually)

Posts: 107 | From maryland | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for packypacky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cognitive function is declined to the point I was diagnosed as ADD.

I was a phd student in science and engineering and now I have to rethink the rest of my life.

Posts: 101 | From nowhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama2six
Member # 38069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama2six     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually up in the middle of the night feeling like "all is lost" and I am not myself anymore due to the cognitive stuff. I fell back asleep and when I woke up in the morning things seemed brighter... I went to bed having a herx, and really could not think, so that great distress was probably somewhat the "herx" thinking for me.

I am always encouraged by the fact that I DO feel better at times, even mentally. That must mean the damage is not permanent. That is what I tell myself, anyway. [Smile]

One question... what does do you take for the pinella? I do not have a dose, and my Dr is not familiar with it. I did buy it, because it is supposed to help with the brain, and I need all of the help there that I can find!

Thanks. I hope we all recover all of our brains!

Posts: 60 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean. I honestly believe if I could remember 1/100th of what I have studied and studied trying to understand and remember, I would have a PHD.

I will never be as smart as I used to be but a lot of that has to do with age. Treating protomyxzoa has made a huge difference. I used to be in a complete fog.

Sometimes I feel completely stunned when I can remember a person's face that would have drawn a blank for me before. I feel elated when I can say the person's name especially someone I do not know very well.

When I remember something I have learned I want to do a little dance. The other day at the doctor's office she brought up something that I actually knew more about - I remembered learning about it over a year ago. She forgot the important details and she is a doctor!

I often thank God when I am shopping and remember what I came to buy. I just want to throw my arms up and say THANK YOU THANK YOU that I remembered this is what I needed to get here!!

If you haven't treated protomyxzoa, you might want to try the low fat diet and see if your thinking improves.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement