LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best med for neuropathy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best med for neuropathy?
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
I wonder what is working for your neuropathy...mine is increasingly severe in face and scalp.

Cymbalta? gabapentin? I don't want to put on weight or prevent brain synapses from working.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cymbalta has black box warnings for suicide... which means that can real mess up your psyche.

there are also possiblities of liver problems and lyme folks have enough liver stress.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabapentin does help me. I take it only at night, so I can function. And I get it in 100 mg capsules, so I can titrate the dosage according to need and what I can tolerate.

Cymbalta gave me head-banging migraines from the very first dose. But that is highly unusual; I get that from a huge amount of meds.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2nd on Gabapentin. Only take it at night also.

600mg is my normal dose

Takes the edge off nerve pains and helps me get to sleep. Also take 10mg Melatonin.

Just wake up at about 3am most mornings.

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi CD57:

For our daughter it was Tindamax pulsing.

She was also on Mepron / Zith at the time but we believe it was the Tindamax.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD-57...

As I have mentioned, my neuropathy was like being covered with battery acid and laying under a shower of sparks 24/7 for over 7 years. I had no relief, ever; no pain med even took the edge off, so I saw no point in taking them after awhile.

I am well now from Lyme, Babesia, and Bartonella, and the neuropathy is GONE, thanks to mild hyperbaric (w/supplemental oxygen).

I'm not sure why anyone would opt for drugs (some extremely addicting, and all with side effects) to "cover up" the pain (if that's possible), when there's a chance to actually treat the cause and heal with mHBOT...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeSwimmer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeSwimmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabapentin helped with Neuropathy as well when it was really bothering me.

The lyme has been under better control in the past couple of years so have been off the Gabapentin and can deal with the minor neuropathy that mainly shows up with flares now.

Posts: 118 | From New England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy L
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy L     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph,

Can you explain what "mild HBOT" is and where you can get it? What level of HBOT is considered mild?

Also, "with supplemental oxygen"? Is this while you are having the mild HBOT? or at a separate time with a mask perhaps? and how many liters dosage for that?

Posts: 254 | From North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nancy...

I just PM'd you.

Mild HBOT refers to hyperbaric treatment at pressures of 1.5 ATA or less. Home chambers ("soft" chambers) fall into this category as they only pressurize to 1.3 ATA (by FDA regulations).

You can also receive mild HBOT at a clinic that uses "hard" chambers. These chambers can also reach higher pressures for use with certain conditions.

Soft chambers do not come equipped with supplemental oxygen; this must be added by using an oxygen concentrator via mask while you are doing your hyperbaric treatments.

Here's another thread that will give you more information:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted info on a new supplement that might be helpful to another thread.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/119810

This is something I would have definitely wanted to try on hubby.

If you buy 4 bottles on the supersale prices then it would cost 20.25 per month (take 2 capsules daily). Membership in Life Extension would be needed to get the best prices. Full price is 33.00 per month (bottle).

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement