LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ALS like symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALS like symptoms
LuluBelle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuluBelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which of the infections can cause ALS like symptoms ?

Lyme of course since it likes the nervous system.

In Buhner's new book he mentions a couple Mycoplasma species being linked to ALS.

But can Babesia or Bartonella ?

Any others including parasites and viruses ?

Thank you !

--------------------
You won't know how sick I was until you see me when I'm well !

Posts: 123 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you might search on here-others have talked about it before

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it seems als symptoms can be from lyme and babs clindimycin + flagil seems to work the best on it

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mycoplasma fermentans can cause ALS symptoms. I had it in my CNS and was diagnosed after a spinal tap. I was 1 limb away from an ALS diagnosis. I even had twitching in my tongue. Fortunately I found an LLMD who treated me with the right abx. It's been a long road to recovery with many setbacks.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Protomxzoa and Ralstonia.

Dr. F said 6 out of 6 patients had PR and 5 out of 6 had Ralstonia.

Babesia also causes it. In the book Cure Unknown, Pam W. tells of a doctor diagnosed with ALS. His friends arranged a last hurray photo safari to Africa for him. He noticed his energy improved while on the trip. Everyone thought it was the adrenaline of seeing the animals.

It turned out it was the anti-malarial drugs he was taking that was making him better. When he went off the drugs he got worse. His son made the connection and he went back on them and recovered.

He opened a clinic in Colorado to treat ALS patients with lyme. He said his patients needed to be ambulatory or treatment would overwhelm them.

There may be other infections as well. Best to get tested for everything and begin treatment as soon as possible.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,

Do you know the name of this clinic in Colorado?

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should look here

http://invisibledisabilities.org/awardrecipients/2011awards/2011-research-award-david-martz-md/

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mom died of ALS. It was horrible. I have many of her symptoms...trembling, speech, swallowing, unbalance, etc. But doc assures me I'm not getting it. He does think there is a genetic link. Mom's niece, my cousin, also died of ALS.

Weird thing is how fast Mom got it. She had follow up surgery for hip replacement and was stammering when she came out of anesthesia and went downhill quickly. My husband said he'd bet anything she had had Lyme for years.

There does seem to be a link. I get better testing, diagnostic care in CA than she had. And we know more now.

I get my blood tested every 3 mos at National Jewish Hospital in Denver. My doc says they are best infectious disease analysts in the US.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
farraday -- Others may also be interested in my question -- what tests are you having done every 3 months at Nat'l Jewish Hospital in Denver?

vv -- Pretty sure Dr M closed his clinic in Colorado due to health issues. The clinic is apparently still operating under other physicians -- see link provided by LSG SCott.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement