LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - A Roadmap for Testing and Treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - A Roadmap for Testing and Treatment
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured I'd post this here since it mentions Lyme and several co-infections (in fact, Lyme is mentioned first as a condition).

There are also sources for bulk supplements and overseas pharmacies too.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - A Roadmap for Testing and Treatment

https://sites.google.com/site/cfstestingandtreatmentroadmap/

I also had my doc test me for everything on this lab requisition list for Stanford, along with whatever else was being tested. I have 13 co-infections that I know of, along with Lyme (this effects my treatment plan and plays into my healing).

Since others ask what else they should be tested for, I thought this would be helpful.

I would also test for h. pylori and fibrin monomer.

***(link was changed) http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/docs/CFS-lab-outside.pdf

***Here's a list of what I think was on the test:

Babesia Microti Antibody, Bartonella Species, Brucella Antibody, Chlamydia Antibody
Panel, CMV Antibody, Coxiella Burnetti Antibody Panel, Coxsackie A Antibody Panel,
Coxsackie B(1-6) Antibody Panel, EBV Panel, Echovirus Antibody Panel, Ehrlichia
Chaffeensis, Ganciclovir Antiviral Serum Level, HHV-6 Antibody, HHV-7 Antibody,
HHV-8 Antibody, HSV-1/2 Antibody Panel, Mycoplasma Pneumoniae Antibody,
Parvovirus Antibody, VZV Antibody Panel, HHV-6 PCR Quant, Parvovirus PCR Quant, Borrelia hermsii, Borrelia burgdorferi

[ 03-30-2015, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Judie ]

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karawhite
Member # 41374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karawhite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks...does insurance cover these tests? any md can draw blood for this...how does this work exactly?
Posts: 47 | From new york | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I printed out the lab requisition sheet for Stanford (it's part of their CFS department), took it to my doc and explained what it was. I first asked if I'm positive for any of this, will it effect my treatment plan. He said, "Yes." I then asked to be tested for everything I haven't been tested for.

I had the MD just do the checkboxes on the labcorp slip and took it to the lab. The MD needs to make sure to write the correct insurance codes (there are ones specific to Lyme, unspecified bacterial illness, fatigue, etc...) to get insurance to pay (the insurance needs a diagnostic reason).

Insurance paid for all except clamydia pneumonia and h. pylori (via blood test).

The lab accidentally ran the h. pylori test anyway and I happened to be crazy positive, despite a stool test done the SAME week.

I treated for h. pylori with prev pack and a bunch of stomach stuff cleared up.

Fibrin Monomer tests for hypercoagulation. This has been part of why it's been difficult for me to heal quickly. My doc and I are getting more aggressive on this.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia Duncani should also be on the list. It's my only positive test, and it was from LabCorp.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie,

That is a great link.

For tickborne patients both Babesia Microti and Babesia Duncani need to be tested for or treated empirically. Also Bartonella is not on the list -- Galaxy Lab is one option for testing, especially for nonstandard strains, but that testing is very expensive. Many LLMD's empirically treat for bartonella or BLO as well as babesia.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Judie, thanks for this important detail.

lymednva & Bea's notes remind us that this "list" of "other" considerations is constantly evolving.

Some of those in the list above are discussed in TIMACA's thread, in this set, which also has various stealth infections to consider - scroll down a ways to find TIMACA's posting:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Also consider the many reasons for exercise intolerance IF that is one symptom that troubles anyone reading this. It can be lyme, liver, other infection connected -- or for other reasons but just don't push it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115275;p=0

Topic: "post-exertional exacerbation of symptoms"

http://rc.kfshrc.edu.sa/besc/sections/RCF/E_Library/NMDR/Exercise%20intolerence.pdf

Eight page pdf. Note: mtDNA = mitochondrial DNA

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE DUE TO MUTATIONS IN THE CYTOCHROME b GENE OF MITOCHONDRIAL DNA

[Twelve authors ] July 13, 2004

--------

Of course, lyme and other stealth infections can damage mitochondria & DNA and also really stress the Cytochrome liver detox pathway. But there can be reasons why some folks have an easier time with even non-aerobic exercise than others.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie
What test did they do to determine hyper coagulation?

I have been diagnosed with Leiden V factor with two copies.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/factor-v-leiden/basics/definition/CON-20032637

I am curious if the same, what is a treatment? I am so slow to heal.

Thanks!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

"What test did they do to determine hyper coagulation?"

They did a simple blood test for fibrin monomer. It came out abnormal.

I just started boluoke for it.

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold can also be a cause of exercise intolerance.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Oh, and heparin is the other treatment. I'm pretty sensitive to meds, so I believe that's why I was given boluoke. I've been on it over a week and no problems so far.

Here's an article about it. Both the genetic predisposition and infections seem to create hypercoagulation.

http://drcharlescrist.net/Borreliosis/Hypercoagulation/

Judie
Member # 38323

I'm going to add genetic testing like MTHFR to the list along with a thrombosis panel (includes MTHFR) and an antiphospholipid panel.

Total IgE is helpful too.

All should be paid for by decent insurance through a standard lab.

I learned about the thrombosis panel here:

Thrombosis anyone? MTHFR results!
http://prettyill.com/videos/watch/thrombosis_anyone_mthfr_results

Judie
Member # 38323

As an update, the 23andme test data was very helpful when I plugged it into health analysis websites.

Here's a thread on what to do with the data.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/127895?#000000

An ISAC test is also good for hypercoagulation and thrombosis.

Judie
Member # 38323

I just wanted to add the ISAC test is done by Esoterix (Labcorp can do a draw).

This is a detailed test for hypercoagulation.

If you have this issue, it really gets in the way of your body healing properly.

Lots of info is given on the test. I finally had it done myself.

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know i have lyme but if i gave this sheet to a lyme doctor, would insurance help coverit? He accepts insurance for only some things i think
Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

It depends on your insurance. Medicare covered most of the tests, I think that says A LOT right there (Medicare doesn't cover a lot of stuff).

The doctor needs to put the correct codes on the lab requisition forms too (there are ones for things like "general fatigue"). That's how to get the insurance to pay. It's all done with codes that the doctors put down.

Just remember, testing will rule things in, but not necessarily out.

I never tested positive for bartonella, but got the tell-tale red stripes about 10 months into treatment.

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie, I just want to thank you for posting this. I missed it the first time you posted, but then caught it when someone else linked it.

Thank you! [Smile]

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Bumping for people new to Lyme.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement