LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hawthorn & Blood Pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hawthorn & Blood Pressure
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You made this comment awhile back about Hawthorn...
Why does Hawthorn have a calming effect on the CNS?

Keebler - "I have and had always had wonderful results with it as calming agent for my nervous system and adrenals (and to help settle a racing heart). I never had any problem with it at all.

It is very relaxing so, I can see that effect may enhance depression, though it made me feel more happy. I noticed I actually smiled more when taking it - because is was so calming to my frayed body."

[ 12-16-2013, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Scroll a ways into this thread to see the links about Hawthorn here, the way it works is explained in various places - and also you will find more with a Google Advanced Search, where you can cross search with key terms:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/hawthorn-crataegus-pinnatifida.html

Chapter from The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

HAWTHORN (Crataegus pinnatifida)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I found this.

Sedation

Because Chinese hawthorn fruit supplements relax your blood vessels, allowing your blood to flow without restrictions, your blood pressure may decrease. While this classifies as a good effect, it may make you feel sleepy or groggy, the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center indicates.

This sedation effect generally occurs when you first use Chinese hawthorn fruit as a supplement and should cease as you use it more and your body adjusts. Unless the sedative effect persists or feels severe, you should not need medical help. If the effect interferes with your normal activities or worries you, seek counsel from your physician.

Fatigue

When Chinese hawthorn fruit supplements open your blood vessels, it can cause a drop in blood pressure to which you are not accustomed. This fall in your blood pressure can make you feel tired and fatigued.

You may feel like you just ran a marathon or climbed a steep hill, even if all you were doing was sitting in a chair watching television. Once your body adjusts to the lower blood pressure and the Chinese hawthorn fruit supplement, your normal energy level should return

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/408201-side-effects-chinese-hawthorn-fruit/#ixzz2ngmPaeNs

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

And my blood pressure now is 104/59
62 beats per minute.

I'm curious to see if it normalizes a bit since Buhner says Hawthorn brings up lower BP.

CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine initiaaly went down on it, but then came back up.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jiaogulan is a Chinese herb that also helps with mood, circulation, liver and energy. It is an amazing herb.

It is an adaptogen. If you need energy, it provides it. If you need calming, it calms. If your blood pressure is high, it lowers it. If your blood pressure is too low, it raises it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gynostemma_pentaphyllum

Dr. Kellon, recommended giving 1 ts jiaogulan on an empty stomach to horses with laminitis. WHen taken on an empty stomach it stimulates nitric oxide which opens the capillaries.

Laminitis is a condition where the capillaries in the horses' front feet are swollen so the horse has reduced circulation. It is very painful and can literally kill the feet. MANY horses have been saved with this herbal remedy. Hawthorn is not strong enough. I have used both.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pam, that caught my eye as I just ordered a new to-tea a few weeks ago and find it wonderful. It's a very nicely sweet, medium-bodied tea, no caffeine.

Here are my study notes for that:

GYNOSTEMMA - Basic Links set

- Gynostemma pentaphyllum, also called jiaogulan or Jiao Gu Lan - china's 'immortality' herb

http://www.strandtea.com/Jiao-Gu-Lan-Gynostemma.html

First, getting this as a TEA from Strand Tea, Dec. 2013 - 8 oz. (about 200 grams) is $16. Using one tea sieve (2 tsp.) for 2 - 3 15 oz. cups a day, four ounces will last about 3 weeks.

-------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Gynostemma+pentaphyllum

PubMed Search:

Gynostemma pentaphyllum - 204 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, liver - 32 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, heart - 5 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, glucose - 26 abstracts

Gynostemma pentaphyllum, fatigue - one, here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Gynostemma+pentaphyllum%2C+fatigue

[Immunomodulatory action of the total saponin of Gynostemma pentaphylla].

. . . saponin content . . .

------------

ITM carries at least one herbal formula (tablets) with this, Gynostemma Tablets (Seven Forests). See Bag of Pearls book. and their website:

www.itmonline.org

ITM Traditional Chinese Medicine Research Site --- Search: Gynostemma - 17 articles

Excerpts from that search:

. . . gynostemma (jiaogulan), also contain ginseng-type saponin components. . . .

. . . gynostemma is a tonic herb . . .

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/luohanguo.htm

[Speaking of the relatives] Luo Han Guo (luohanguo) refers to the fruit of Siraitia grosvenori, formerly called Momordica grosvenori, a member of the Curcubitaceae (1). The fruit is well-known for its sweet taste; this plant family (Gourd family) has other members that contain remarkable sweet components, including additional species of the genus Siraitia (e.g., S. siamensis, S. silomaradjae, S. sikkimensis, S. africana, S. borneensis, and S. taiwaniana 2)

and the popular herb jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum). . . .

. . . .The beginning of research into the sweet component of luohanguo is attributed to C.H. Lee, who published an English report in 1975 (12), and to Tsunematsu Takemoto working in Japan in the early 1980s (he later turned his attention to studying jiaogulan (3).

that reference: 3. Blumert M and Liu Jialiu, Jiaogulan: China's Immortality Herb, 1999 Torchlight Pub., Badger, CA.

Not in Tillotson's book.

------------------

Specialty site:

http://www.gynostemma.org/

Gynostemma

Miracle tea for radiant health - . . .pour hot (not boiling) water into the pot & let it steep for about 5 minutes or longer before serving. . . .

an age old herb in traditional Chinese herbology. It has been widely researched. It is a true rejuvenator / antiaging herb as it is an immunomodulator, adaptogen, antioxidant, anti-cancer, neuroprotective, nootropic and hepatoprotective. . . .

. . . The chemical constituents responsible for the adaptogenic characteristic of Gynostemma are saponins (gypenosides). Gynostemma contains the widest range of saponins from all the plants in nature.

There are more than 75 different saponins in Gynostemma Pentaphyllum which is nearly four times the number of saponins found in Ginseng. The PubMed database already lists over 11,000 research papers that explore and explain the benefits of saponins. . . .

------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22516894

Phytomedicine. 2012 Jun 15;19(8-9):812-8. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2012.03.012. Epub 2012 Apr 17.

Preconditioning of brain slices against hypoxia induced injury by a Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract--stimulation of anti-oxidative enzyme expression.

Schild L, Cotte T, Keilhoff G, Brödemann R.
Source

Department of Pathological Biochemistry, Otto-von-Guericke-University, Magdeburg D-39120, Germany. [email protected]

Abstract

A short period of hypoxia/hypoglycaemia (oxygen and glucose deprivation, OGD) induced by perfusion with O(2)/glucose-free medium caused immediate loss and incomplete restoration of evoked field potentials in the CA1 region of transverse hippocampus slices. OGD-dependent decrease in evoked field potentials can be prevented by a proceeding short OGD event (preconditioning).

We report about a study investigating the effect of an ethanolic Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract on evoked field potentials when administered before the OGD episode. Using this procedure, the extract completely protected the cells of the slices from functional injury.

In an astroglia rich cell culture the ethanolic Gynostemma pentaphyllum extract caused within 48 h of cultivation increased protein and activity levels of the anti-oxidative enzymes manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx). Consequently, the cellular H(2)O(2) concentration remained at a low level. These data suggest that the Gynostemma pentaphyllum-mediated increase in antioxidative enzyme activities may contribute to the protection of transverse hippocampus slices from OGD induced functional injury.

Our results demonstrate that the prophylactic administration of the ethanolic extract from Gynostemma pentaphyllum has a high potential to protect from ischemia/reperfusion injury.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier GmbH. All rights reserved.

PMID: 22516894

--

another abstract I was reading talked about forced exercise and this helping with recovery / prevention.

My take away on that: toxic load can CAUSE exercise intolerance. Anything to decrease toxic load, support all systems, etc. can help. But, also a huge warning sign not to push exercise if there is an issue of intolerance as that can be very dangerous, indeed, and cause damage without adequate considerations.
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

nefferdun,

So does it act like Hawthorn in it's heart affects?

I do love adaptogens & have always responded very well to them.

Hawthorn made me depressed, bad. Only 3 days in.
Hmmmmmmmm

PS: Which brand did you buy Nefferdun? From Amazon?

Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if your BP is super low? That kind of makes me nervous to try it, but I'd love for it to raise my BP. I also sure could use the calming effects!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life+Lyme, Have you tried drinking salt water? that can raise blood pressure and low blood pressure is often a symtpom of dehydration.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have POTS. I take florinef, do IV saline, the whole nine-yards. I'm still trying to get regulated.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood pressure is high too at present, despite my being on a low dose of a betablocker.

I have been looking up which of the herbs I already have can help (obviously not going mad, since I am on medicatio) and found that, as well as hawthorn and gynostemma, barberry, Japanese knotweed,and motherwort may be good for high bp.

SB likes motherwort and it is normally associated with happy moods, so may be an alternative to hawthorn for those that feel depressed on the latter.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon balm too is said to be good for high blood pressure and tastes great; it is good for nervous tummy too.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BP is also low but I would like to try Hawthorne again for my heart palpitations. Currently I had to resort to "mainstream" meds because of frequent fainting so I'm on Florinef/Toprol/Midodrine.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement