LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » are LED lites bad for us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: are LED lites bad for us?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this what is in big box stores? Do you have to replace bulbs? Do they use batteries. Do they have mercury in them? Thanks

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the medical reasons.

Personally, LED lights really bother me. I seem to see a very fast flicker, and they are too bright for me.

I noticed this with Christmas lights this year.

The LED string lights I put up hurt my eyes.

Do you find they bother you also, LP?

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most stores use fluorescent lights for their lighting, which have mercury, and which blink on an off about 60 times per second. There are a number of aspects to these lights which can be bad for people, including the high magnetic fields created to run them.

The LED lights are generally much better. They are rarely used for regular lighting because they are very expensive, and produce very sharp directed light, so they're not as good at really lighting up a room, and looking right into the bright light can be bad/unpleasant for the eyes.

All bulbs go out eventually. Fluorescent lights are reputed to last longer than standard incandescent bulbs, and LED lights are reputed to last longer than fluorescent bulbs.

Be aware that due to the energy independence and security act of 2007, incandescent light bulbs of good lighting strength are getting harder and harder to get over time. Here is a poorly written article by your typical reporter person.

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/24246397/incandescent-lights-go-dark-in-january

Here is a wiki article that is more informative, and actually was much more informative a couple years ago when the law started phasing in changes. Basically, starting 1/1/2012, you couldn't buy 100 watt bulbs, then 1/1/2013, you couldn't buy 75 watt bulbs. And starting 1/1/2014, yes, that's soon, 40-100 watt bulbs will be something you cannot purchase. When the 100 watt bulbs became unavailable, 95 watt bulbs became available (but then you couldn't buy those starting 1/1/2013). Probably 35 watt bulbs will be available, but it is possible the big company(ies) will decide to not bother making the incandescent bulbs anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Independence_and_Security_Act_of_2007#B._Lighting_Energy_Efficiency

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you both

i only have one LED lite that i know of. i bought it for camping and have used it for emergency when power goes out

it is getting very dim but i have had it about 3 yrs altho i havent used it much so i want to make it bright again

also there are some on sale cheap at box store and i thought it would be better to have them than to rely on candles and oil lamps when power goes out...but i wanted to know 1. are they bad for us and 2. will they be expensive to maintain

i think it is worth buying them...they are under 4. i will have to get help to see why the older one is dimming.

thanks again

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phillips and some other companies are making some pretty nice LED lightbulbs. We have converted to them for our regular lamps and lighting needs in our house, mostly because of the electricity savings, and because we detest the dangerous (mercury-filled, and we had one almost set our house on fire) CFL's.

LED's do not contain mercury. But they do flicker.

According to what I have read, people with seizure disorders are particularly sensitive to the flicker of fluorescent and LED bulbs. It is possible to obtain a prescription for incandescent bulbs, but I would not have any idea where to purchase incandescent bulbs after 1/1/14.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that they are now putting out a new incandescent bulb that is more energy efficient. I think I purchased a couple last year.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Many with lyme have seizures involved. For those, both fluorescent and LED lights are out of the question - for safety reasons. For those with migraines, also best to avoid either type. Those with balance / vestibular symptoms are best to avoid these, too.

Halogens BUZZ terribly (and can explode), so that is out for me and many with hyperacusis or even any kind of vestibular condition.

IMO, either type is not good for ANYone, really. I think they add to stress and irritation - and even anger issues for many who don't have a clue that their entire neurological system is being stressed by the kind of lights they use.

As of the end of the year regular 60 watt incandescents will be illegal. There is a newer kind of "wrapped element" incandescent (in a gas but they don't say much about what exactly that gas is) . . . I've not yet researched beyond one failed search attempt - nor have I ever seen one.

I have a stash of regular bulbs I bought before the first round of laws but they are dwindling.

If anyone has a link to newer incandescents, that would be great. I can't find much with a basic search . . . and if anyone can find out what kind of gas those involve (mercury vapor?), I would be most appreciative.

As someone who drops many items, though, I'd rather not have any gas in any light bulb. And I wonder if the addition of a gas will cause a flicker of any degree (the very reason LED and CFL are out)?
-

[ 12-22-2013, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

I dont see how they can force ppl to use the mercury bulbs. I read of someone who dropped one and was gforced to call special clean up crew and it cost 1500. I also drop things alot and have major problem with pincer grasp-so cleaning stuff up is very hard. I cant imagine going after mercury with these hands. If i taped it i could probably sell it to saturday nite live

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha! LP! You could be our lyme and co spokeswoman on SNL!

It's not just dropping them that is an issue. The ballasts (the base the bulb is attached to) also have a higher incidence of exploding. I found this out the hard way when one exploded randomly in a lamp I had in my bedroom.

It is one of those rooms where the lamp turns on when you flick the switch...no ceiling lights in there.

So there I was, no light, trying to clean up broken glass, inhaling mercury, with four cats very curious. That was the last fluorescent bulb I have tried.

They are not worth the risk, in my opinion.

I didn't realize incandescent bulbs won't be available in 2014.

When my rash stops bleeding, I am going to the store to stock up.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have quite an enormous stash, but for those unprepared, hopefully you will still be able to get some low-level regular incandescents, such as 35-watters. If you put those in one of those lamps made for 2 or 3 bulbs, you could end up with 70 or 105 watts. I am expecting/hoping they will still manufacture all of those for the appliances, even though you can use them for whatever. And the 50-100-150 watt 3-ways are still legal, as well (if they make them).
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I completely forgot about this issue!! I hope against hope that I can get a big stash of incandescent bulbs somehow. I"ve always used the full-spectrum ones, which make a big difference.

I have major migraines, so. . . ANd to boot, I also drop and break way too many things. Arghhh! This is murder!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been stock piling the soon to be illegal light bulbs. Guess I need to go our and buy some more before the supply goes away.

I had thought the LED were at least safer, they are without the toxic matter of mercury that's in the much pushed gov program to do fluorescent.

My utility company keeps sending me the toxic bulbs and I give them to people that think they are okay to use.

The big old warning label on the package is BIG and has step by step on how to clean your toxic home if a fluorescent bulb was to be broken in your home.

Remember too they can't be disposed in the regular trash. We have one place in our city to take our old/burned out or broken fluorescent light bulbs to. Yeah sure!!!!!!!!!!

If fluorescent made me buzzzzzz, I'm wondering if LED will to? I'll try one bulb in my living room lamp, my reading at night lamp. Testing will be quickly.

I'll know in one evening if it is bad for me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even those strange bluish headlights bother me at night. They're very noticeable.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

I agree, Randi. I think folks have their hi beams on, but I'm pretty sure it's their LED headlamps.
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
Even those strange bluish headlights bother me at night. They're very noticeable.

Looks like those are xenon (using xenon gas).

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/battle-of-the-headlights-halogen-vs-xenon-vs-led-26530.html

desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They give me flashing lights in my peripheral vision.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find them every unpleasant, too. Can't explain why but they don't feel good when I look at them.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeap headlights can be very troublesome. Funny thing, sometimes it's not so bad driving at night and other times, I really should not be driving.

It's neuro for sure. I think I'll just spend my money on old fashioned light bulbs.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Info on the law...

http://www.kansas.com/2013/12/21/3190488/more-incandescent-light-bulbs.html

I imagine the stores will still have them for awhile. I did buy one LED light bulb a few weeks ago. It's one of 4 lights in my ceiling fan.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

I stocked up. 4 boxes each of 60W and 40W and some nightlight bulbs.

The store had a section just with the old bulbs-separate from the fluroescent and LED ones. I think they are trying to clear their stock.

I'll just back my car up and then can shove them in. Haha.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stashed a lot of them two years ago but I completely forgot this was coming - if I ever really knew - and I have to get more. I can't stand the LED lights much less the fluorescent ones. They make me feel sick.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Looking at the shelf at Walmart yesterday, we're not the only folks bucking the system and stocking up.

Pam

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I stocked up a few years ago too and I've gone thru them

so today I went to Kmart and spent $40 on 60 buIbs

hope they last longer than the last time

--------------------

Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
[QB] I read of someone who dropped one and was gforced to call special clean up crew and it cost 1500.

How very environmental of them considering smoke stacks still spew out mercury all the time.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

i know-its like telling us to stop taking abx...when they fill all the food animals with them and the US masses gobble up abx filled meat as if it isnt adding to the problem...such irony

--------------------

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Is this what is in big box stores?
Some of the fixtures... like "spots" may be LED but the lion's share is still flourescent.
>>Do you have to replace bulbs?
Not really. LEDs can last for decades in operation. They will grow dimmer with internal decay (chemical breakdown), but that can be very slow indeed!
The usual killer for LEDs is excessive- or reverse- voltage applied, causing current that exceeds the device's [dissipation] capability.
(Sorry for being so technical)
>> Do they use batteries?
Ha! Only the flashlites & other portable LED devices. They need direct current (D.C.), but can be run off something as simple as an AC adaptor ["wall wart"]
>>Do they have mercury in them?
Nope!

BUT, here's the skinny- White LEDs are actually just efficient BLUE LEDs that have an *internal phosphor coating* adjacent to the junction serving as the light source. It flouresces (sic?), like the tubes, turning much of the blue light into yellow, red & even some green. Your eye sees the combination as "white".

All LEDs prior to- say- the 1990s were monochromatic (one color) Red came along first in about 1968 followed by green & yellow in the late '70s. Now most all colors can be created by LED technology, including far infra red & UV, Thanx to $$$ billions that's been poured into their developement.

NOW, if we could just get the pharma industry to spemnd even a fraction of that to develop next-generation, spirochete-killing antibiotics!...

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting.

I ran into this: http://www.wnd.com/2013/12/american-ingenuity-bypasses-incandescent-ban/

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Yes-thanks for info

--------------------

GretaM
Member # 40917

Great info Kete tracker.
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No prob.
The light isn't quite incandescent or sunlight, where the energy spread out evenly across the spectrum, but it's far more durable & safe[r] for the environment than flourescent bulbs.

And now the latest-generation LED bulb replacemnts boast 25- to 50,000-hour rated life, which means ~70% of 'em will still be running in +27 Years (!) if used, say, 5 hours a day.

The 60- to 75-watt equiv. "floods" have been available at all Market Baskets for about a year now (often for under $10), but my current 'fav' are the CREE 40 & 60-watt equiv. standard shape bulbs, which use just 6 & 9.5 watts respectively (better that CFLs!) I think they're $10 & 13 each at any Home Depot.

But, before I turn this post any more into an ad, I just wanted to get back to the point about "flicker". As LEDs don't need to "warm up", any light they give off is directly [& instantaneously] related to the applied voltage or power.

If the "juice" is pulsating at all (like in some cars that regulate brightness of the brake lights by changing the 'width' of the pulse)
OR if it has any ripple or "hum" (like from a cheap AC supply), that will be super-imposed in the light... & many of us will see that....
especially if we catch the light out of the corner of our eye as it moves.

Munch some raw carrots & look at a 'suspect' flickering light. If you see dashes or dots, it's not incandescent & not getting 'clean' power! ;-)

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a deal on Amazon for incandescent bulbs (24 for $9).

I just got them this morning and was thrilled.

My husband just chewed me out saying LED lights are going to be less expensive in the long run.

I was pretty happy about my purchase, now I feel awful. Not sure what to think, help.

I'm just sticking to what works for me right now, that's why I bought them.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Those who think the new bulbs are cheaper in the long run are not measuring the most important part of the equation: you; the way YOUR eyes & brain are affected.

Now lyme & all truly does bring all kinds of "stipulations" about what works for us and what does not regarding ANY stimuli. However, I think a lot of folks are not feeling well with the newer lights but don't quite know why.

And no one can miss the effects when a bulb with mercury breaks.

Particle board "furniture" doused in formaldehyde an other toxins that can offgas forever is also cheaper. Or is it? Not when we figure in what / who really matters. Not when we figure in the damages.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler for hearing me.

Those new bulbs totally give me headaches.

We tried having an LED rope light to replace an incandescent rope light that burnt out already. The LED needed to go IMMEDIATELY. It was so unpleasant. I totally forgot about that til now.

Well, now I even feel better about these lights I purchased.

Keebler, thanks again for explaining this. I don't know why the LED rope lights bugged me, but they did.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I can't even "do" the LED flashlights. Instant sick, like Krytonite to my inner SuperWoman, I guess!

I have to order a bunch of oh, that wax stuff beas make that can burn in candles.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement