LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tramadol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tramadol
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this should be posted in general or medical.

I don't know how long I have been on tramadol.

I don't really know if I want to stop it or continue.

I do know that I am dehydrated constantly and need to make sure I get lots of vit C, mag, detox tea and anything else that keeps the bowels from getting backed up while on tramadol.

I also know I use to be Ok while laying in bed.

But, then it seemed I started on tramadol, quit at the beginning as I thought it wasn't helping...

but then noticed the increase in pain even while laying in bed.

So went back on tramadol.

I still have the pain when I over do it...which means being upright for longer than 5 or 10 min while in the power chair.

It is as if I am not getting blood flow to the brain or oxygen.

Flat on my back 90% of the time in bed playing mindless games tha I can kind of see with blurred vision or watching live stream netflix movies with closed caption on teh computer.
Typing this with eyes closed and brain is fading fast.

I think via the keyboard...kind of...can't think in my head any more.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom line is I am trying to figure out whether to continue with tramadol or goo off of it.

As I type this, I am thinking maybe going off of it is not such a good idea right now as I wwill be starting the Cowden protocol soon.

I would just like a clear head. It seems I constantly have this pressure in my brain that goes from being unbearable at times to being manageable at other times.

Not sure if it is tramadol related.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Doc prescribed 3 pills of tramadol a day.

I am only taking 2 a day due to the dehydration and struggle with keeping teh bowles from getting backed up.

I know I have been on tramadol for over a year..most likely two years.

I also am on gabapetin but found it helps me sleep so I don't want to go off of it. I like geting my sleep after years of not being able to sleep.

I hope all of this makes sense.

Bottom is I am wondering how others have done on tramadol.

I just want to get better and be able to do more.

I don't have a LLMD at this time. There is a guy down the hill but I would need to come up with out of pocket money to see him and for his lab work which I don't have.

kam
Member # 3410

There also is a doctor out of state that takes medicare. I am leaning towards goign to see her when I have the gas money, camp site money or hotel room money and the health and driver to hlep me get there.

I have tried Angel Flight in the past but health couldn't handle it.

I might try again but health is worse now than it was when I tried in 2005. So, guessing that really isn't do able.

I think a car ride might work but am guessing we would need to stop half way through and get a hotel for the night or camp.

didogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for didogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kam
I have been on tramadol and have no side effects from it. It does not take away the head pain/pressure for me at all. It really helps with other pains though.

I hope you find some relief soon

Posts: 238 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't find much relief from Tramadol. The side effects are what made me get off of it.

All pain meds cause constipation. You can increase fiber, water and magnesium to help with that.

I had severe insomnia from the Tramadol which is one of the side effects.

You might want to try another pain medication.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kam. I have the same script and usually only take one or two a day. I have to take with Tylenol for bad pain days. Tramadol doesn't touch my headaches but does take the edge off the rest of my pain.

I have accidentally gone off tramadol for a few days... By just forgetting to take it. Always get very tired. Pretty depressed and very achy. Tramadol, in addition to being a pain killer (a synthetic morphine) it raises seretonin. Not as much as SSRI's, it enough to cause some withdrawal if you go cold turkey... My llmd suggested to take a half a pill on days I didn't need it. And when I was ready to test getting off for good to wean myself... To a avoid withdrawal and not misinterpret the withdrawal symptoms from a actual pain.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to add. From my experience the symptoms are not likely from the tramadol... But the bugs. Are you on anything to kill the bugs?
Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Tramadol for over 10 yrs. I'm still at same dose and haven't needed to increase it.

In fact there have been periods when I didn't need the 4 a day. Then there are periods of pain where 4 a day only touches the surface.

I take advil or aleve, rotation for anti-inflammatory issues. Also Xanax helps with the muscle pain and the anxiety that comes from the body being stressed and on high alert due to pain.

So wish that I could replace these two meds and my sleep aid Ambien CR. Keebler had written about berberine being such a great pain reliever for her, and I've been on berberine for 3 mths.

I'm doing 800mg of Berberine and it's not helped my pain. I'm about to go with 1200mg and I'm praying that it will make a difference.

My pain level, with exception of barometric pressure, full moons, monthly herxes from lyme, increase with cycle of bart & babs....is tolerable or it can put me on the couch.

Kam, constipation was horrible for me. My gastro doc friend had tried several rx and OTC and nothing helped.

When I started eating almonds in my diet because I knew it was heart healthy and I wanted to use it as a snack......it was the best food/sup/med for MY body.

Constipation is in my past history. I can go 2 days without munching on almonds. Day 3, I'm sorry and miserable.

I have had some bad stuff in my diet, darn holidays and food traditions the last week. I was backed up yesterday. Last night I ate 2 palms full of almonds.

This morning my body said thank you.

If I could drop Big Pharma believe me I will and it is my dream to someday do just that.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your doctor for Linzess. It increases intestinal fluid and accelerates transit (increasing the frequency of the BM's) and reduces abdominal pain too!

It works like nothing else, you take it once a day and it does not give you diarrhea.

I tried Tramadol for pain and found it useless. Sadly, it did not reduce my pain any more than advil.

Sudafed helps with my head pressure. If I have a migraine then I need Imitrex.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tramadol gave me seizures and sent me to the hospital. My neighbor had signfiicant withdrawls from it causing him to talk suicidal, not eat and close himself in his room. All the neighbors had to come to gether on a suicide watch, remove his guns and spend the night with him so his wife could sleep.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One man's medicine is another man's poison. Each of us has to do what is best for our situation and our ability to have a sliver of a life.

For me abx become my enemy after about 2 years. Yes, I was treated fairly early, 10 days after the flu-like illness from he!!.

But time and putting the puzzle together later I realized I actually had mild lyme symptoms that started about 6 mths prior.

But again I got into a nest of nymphs, a dozen of them I know were embedded, 3 weeks later it all exploded. The straw that broke the camels back. But this camel was really stupid, she kept going going and going. One day I drove myself off the cliff.

I've have weaned myself off of so many different meds that people say is addictive in the last 15 yrs. I've never had an issue with withdrawl. Some people are addictive type, some people with proper weaning can easily come off certain meds.

Everyone is different and react or don't react to meds, supps, herbs, OTC, detox protocols, rife, hormones, etc.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes one man's medicine may be another man's poison but how do you know before its too late? and damaged yourself, your life, your relationships, your health?

The best indications we have of what could happen with a drug is listed in the adverse effects listed (poisoning effects) for each drug. You can choose or hope that it won't happen to you at your own risk. People have the misguded believe that bad things with drugs happen to someone else, not to them.

I have never seen any adverse reactions or heard of any to rife, hyperbaric when done properly, colloidal silver, enzymes, photon light, homeoapthy and most detox protocols when done slowly and correcly. Even some antibiotics are not too terribly dangerous when done within the recommended parameters, but with lyme they go way outside of those parameters, often for many months or years.

Yes, some people are not addictive people, but what is it I wonder that drives people to do what is proclaimed even my their makers (the pharmaceutical company) what is known to be risky and dangerous.

Most people won't really understand how dangerous drugs are unless you work in the medical field with eyes wide open. I wish nurses would write more about what they have seen and what they know.

I've seen people get up and walk out of hospice when they were removed from the drugs...

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's very effective either. Kam.. you might want to try another avenue. I have found that once I got off meds the pain did not get worse.

But you have to TAPER DOWN SLOWLY!

I think SOMETHING is making you way worse recently.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Able to read some of the posts before the brain went.

I'll be back to read more later.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement