LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics
sheltielady
Member # 42710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheltielady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay ...I need some advice .....All my testing has been negative. I am getting worse neurologically.

I was bitten years ago and I believed it went dormant until 2011 with a traumatic event. I have had numerous blood work for all rare diseases,lupus, etc...all negative.

Now my immune system is surpressed as recent blood work noted that. I will start a 6wk regiment of IV nutriment.

Seriously considering changing doctors. Do you think an ILADS doctor would give me antibiotics based on symptoms.

Barely moving my feet with Rollator..
[dizzy] [bow] [bow] [bow]

--------------------
Teri

Posts: 63 | From Hampton Nh | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't had an ILADS dr. test you, you can't say really say it's been negative. The criteria for a hospital W. blot lyme test or a ELISA is hard to get. An ILADS guy will find it lyme's involved. No one else will.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
An ILADS educated doctor will not give you antibiotics upon request.

An ILADS educated doctor WILL, however, ASSESS you for lyme and other possible tick borne infections and then proceed accordingly with suggestions.

Assessment involves both looking at lab testing and clinical symptoms, history, presentation, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

http://publichealthalert.org/uploads/2013_6.pdf

Public Health Alert (PHA) is a newspaper committed to researching and investigating Lyme Disease and other chronic illnesses

Laboratory Tests and Diagnosis for Lyme Disease and Co-infections - June 2013

- by Armin Schwarzbach, M.D., Ph.D. - Five Pages

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

What is a LLMD? LL ND? What is ILADS?

WHY you need an ILADS "educated" or "minded" Lyme Literate doctor (whether MD or ND, or both) - starting with assessment / evaluation for lyme, OTHER tick-borne diseases, and other chronic stealth infections - and all that goes along for the ride.

Medical "models" explained here, as to differences in the ISDA & ILADS models of assessment & treatment - and exactly why it is so very important to know the differences.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say that soon you "will start a 6wk regiment of IV nutriment." (end quote)

That could cost a fortune and not get you very far if lyme is in the picture. I would put all my money into diagnostics for now . . . work ONLY with an ILADS educated LLMD or LL ND for assessment before proceeding with just support therapy that won't do much if lyme is present.

Support methods matter very much but are not at all going to do anything if the CAUSE is not identified and addressed at the same time.

I spend thousands of dollars and many years on support methods that did very little for me because the cause had not been identified or addressed.

Get a proper assessment with an ILADS educated LLMD or LL ND first.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In the meantime, there are things you can do for yourself, though, after making an appointment with an ILADS educated LLMD or LL ND.

I wish I had known to address all this much sooner than I figured it out:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all);

GMO foods that destroy the GI Tract; Gluten; Dairy.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You posted this on Jan. 10:

"Have any of you had IV treatment for suppressed immune system.?A concoction of vitamins via IV. It would be done, once a week for 6 weeks." (end quote)

I cannot strongly enough suggest that you NOT have any doctor do anything that will affect immune function UNLESS they are ILADS educated and fully LL and TBD literate.

Lyme really "flips" immune function in ways that other doctors have no clue about. And their suggestions can just destroy someone with lyme that is not being properly addressed.

There are some nutritional supplements that can be very bad for someone if they have lyme (such as 3 of the amino acids - see note below).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine

Each of these can cause far too much nervous system and adrenal system stimulation for many who deal with lyme.

This information is especially for those with any degree of:

toxicity, exhaustion, anxiety, irritability, agitation, panic attacks, tremors, startles, or seizures:

it is best to avoid these three particular amino acids (other than in normal doses from food or maybe in a balanced formula with other amino acids & other nutrients, but not above the average daily dose.

Even at that, some people need to avoid excess foods that contain one or both of those as they can be too stimulating for the brain when it's already overstimulated from neuro-toxicity issues.

Specific Detail here, especially about Glutamate / Glutamine (which some do okay with but others may really react badly):

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard anyone talk positively about nutrition IV's long term. At best, they seem to last a day or two. They did nothing at all for me.

I'd use that money towards an ILADS dr. or if you can't afford that, you can get oral antibiotics online without a script.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Just getting getting to the appt., waiting in the waiting room, getting the IV needle put in, enduring that, getting home . . . all that can TAX immune and adrenal function.

Sure wore me out with I did this. Thousands of dollars down the drain. And it was torture. Not once did the doctor suggest lyme might be the reason but when the IV supplements failed, told me I must be faking it.

Don't mess around with anyone who is not lyme literate. Even if not lyme, find out what the underlying causes are, do not just treat the result of a yet-undetermined diagnosis.

And, there are many things with diet that can help while all this is sorted out. Nutrients are best coming from food from the earth. Not from a plastic bag of fluid.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is a CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS... so a good LLMD is essential. Find one now. Quit wasting time and money on STUFF that won't help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis (if you have Lyme symptoms and history of a tick bite, I'd say you're likely to get antibiotics).

It's good to know what else is going on too, but so hard to find a doc to do the right tests (the first LLMD I saw ran tons of tests).

I started this thread awhile back about testing. ALL my testing was negative until a more savvy doctor tested for other things.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=127210;p=0#000000

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheltielady
Member # 42710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheltielady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for advice.....This doctor I am seeing go for ILADS certificate ....I may have to hit the bullet since my nutriment is scheduled for this Monday morning ...unless I give a white lie and tell her I don't have a ride since I can no longer drive.

I will call the ILADS doctor and go on cancellation list, beg ti see him since I am getting worse....

--------------------
Teri

Posts: 63 | From Hampton Nh | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
1. You do not need to lie about any appointment or procedure cancellation if you are not sure it's right for you.

There is never a need to lie. Just be honest. Say that you are not comfortable with the way you are feeling and have determined that this may not be good for you at this particular time. Not up to it. And that would be the truth. You don't have to explain how "not up to it."

If you are to cancel, try to call their service over the weekend and again the first thing Monday morning.

See if you have their cancellation policy in the literature from their office or on their website.

2. If you go ahead with Monday's IV, be sure they are not going to add excitatory substances such as L-Glutamine, etc. in that note above.

They usually mix it beforehand. Ask for a written or typed hand-out with exactly what is in it and the amounts. If they can't do that in advance, even if there, I would not do it.

Still, as long as they don't try to zoom you to the moon, it may be okay. You want NOTHING that will "boost" anything. Be very clear on that matter. Nothing to "boost" - absolutely nothing.

Do take in support nourishment, though.

Some MAGNESIUM in that might be very nice. Perhaps some TAURINE, too. They should know the amounts.

Not too much of the excitatory B's.

REST afterward. As much of the day as possible.

I don't understand some of the other things you say such as " This doctor I am seeing go for ILADS certificate" (end quote)

Not sure what that means. There is no official certification, however, there is an ILADS Physician Training program. Be sure they have completed that - and stay current with the conferences, articles and books by the members.

Good luck.
-

[ 01-19-2014, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Teri,

Have you got the name of a good LLMD from a support group in your area? Or a few fellow lyme patients with similar symptoms as you?

Yes, phoning every week and asking if any cancellations are available is a great idea [Smile]

Also, if you could express the urgency of your situation.

In the meantime, is the IV nutrition covered by insurance, and is it for nutrition to help supplement your diet? Ie: to balance deficiencies in vitamins and minerals?

If so, then I would still continue with it as long as it doesn't have the excitory things in it that Keebler mentioned.

If it is the Meyers cocktails or is to stimulate your immune system...well I tried those myself and paid out of pocket and they were a waste towards helping me with lyme.

However, if it is IVIG or IV glutathione and is covered by insurance, and is done by an MD, I personally would do this.

When you say your immune system is down, I am thinking immunoglobbins. And if you went to a big hospital I am thinking maybe they recommended IVIG?

You need to do what you can do until you can get in to see an LLMD.

An LL will do an honest assessment of your symptoms and symptom history. And depending on the severity of your symptoms, will get you on a protocol right away. One that is best for your type of situation.

Praying for you Teri
[group hug]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheltielady
Member # 42710

Thank you all. I just did cancellation. Keebler I will call again Monday morning again.

The doctor had not finished her training .....as told.

I found a Certified ILADS in NH...(:
Calling Monday for appt...explaining urgency ...I will have my name on cancellation list if needed.

I will see a nutrionest to find a right balance if real food.

Appreciate feed back.....

Teri the snail

--------------------
Teri

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A note about the difference in a dietician, nutritionist, etc.

I suggest consulting a ND instead, a naturopathic doctor. And if you can find one who is ILADS educated and LL, all the better. Still, IMO, all NDs and acupuncturists have always had better expertise regarding nutrition.

So many dieticians are stuck in that old, drink your milk (and other old) thought patterns. They are stuck on the food pyramid. Some may be more enlightened but they are bound by certain constraints and will not be able to advise you beyond basic vitamins if you have supplement questions.

Nutritionists can vary. From what I can tell, they may be more up to date.

However, NDs and those trained in that area of medicine have a great deal of education in nutrition and they also know which supplements are best . . . one who would be LL would know more specifically.

You could ask at the LLMD's office where you hope to be soon, ask them now if they can suggest someone to help in that regard.

Also ask your area lyme support groups.

There are a couple good different lyme "cook" or "diet" books but I just caution you not to think of this in a diet as restrictions but a food plan for all kind of fabulous flavors with healthful foods from nature to you cells.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Geared toward gluten-free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608677/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1936608677&linkCode=as2&tag=glufrecat-20

LADLED: NOURISHING SOUPS FOR ALL SEASONS

- by Kimberly Harris (December 18, 2012)

over 50 reader reviews, a near perfect composite 5 star rating.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Agree with Greta about how some IVs, if covered by insurance can be of help. They may cover for certain vitamins IF you are truly deficient in those.

There may be other things that, if covered, would be helpful. It's just that it's best to have a LLMD consulted on that first, if possible - or at least figure out if it will be a good support or more like rocket fuel to you. Those who have lyme so very often do not respond as the typical patient with many treatments.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheltielady .. Have you talked to lpkayak on Lymenet about the doctors in NH area??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheltielady
Member # 42710

Hello Lymetutu......
I too got a ILADS LL from a excellent site....He also was on TV awhile ago!.......A good fetch in NH...

Hello Keebler...Yes..I have been gluten free yeast free and no artificial junk ....or processed ....just a natural

--------------------
Teri

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Just make sure you have talked to "happy satisfied customers" who have seen this doctor.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Ruwondering2
Member # 43108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruwondering2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was recently diagnosed with Lyme in Oct 2013 till then for6 years I have been diagnosed with MS. With no hope in sight I Found the site of Dr Wahls an MS sufferer, she cured her self so that gave me hope. It's all about nutrition through food. I'm now hoping that my heavy amoxyvinin dose and hyperbaric treatment will help. Nothing yet though and I've had a major setback slip and fall . I fractured my shoulder and have intense muscle spasms in my back.
How do you fight confections? Just wondering.

Posts: 5 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you been doing the amoxyvinin (never heard of that) and the hyperbaric?

How you treat co-infections will depend on what you have.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Dr Wahls took antibiotics and other meds for undisclosed infections.

(I found that info in a Pub Med article about her.)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, she took minocycline and she also used some sort of electo mag. treatment with a physical therapist, extensively.
Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement