LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Top Denialist Admits Garinii may be in USA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top Denialist Admits Garinii may be in USA
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many of you know, in August the CDC's Dr Barbara Johnson published a fraudulent critique of the new Lyme culture test used by Advanced Laboratory, which was developed by Dr Eva Sapi and Dr Alan Macdonald.

The culture test has grown Borrelia from the blood of many patients chronically ill with Lyme, including those with previous antibiotic treatment.

Barbara Johnson alleged that the successful results reported by Sapi et al must be due to contamination, citing as a major plank of her argument the fact that many of the cultures of American patients' blood reported by Dr Sapi had a portion of a gene which matched Borrelia garinii species, rather than Bb sensu stricto.

The CDC and other Denialists have long upheld the dogma that unlike the rest of the world, where multiple species cause Lyme, the USA has only ONE species of Lyme-causing Borrelia - Bb sensu stricto.

Barbara Johnson therefore claimed that the garinii-like sequences obtained were proof that the test was invalid.

However, recently a scientist very high up in Lyme Denialist circles at CDC has admitted, in the small print of a patent held by the US government, the following:

"B. garinii has been found in pelagic bird colonies off the coast of North America, so there may be potential for infection by this agent in North America."

Who was the CDC scientist who made this statement? Why, Dr Barbara Johnson, of course.

Source of quote:
Patent WO 2013110026 A1
http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013110026A1?cl=en

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive."

Source of quote:
William Shakespeare

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent find Elena!
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks.

Barbara Johnson ought to tidy up her act.

I hear not everyone at CDC wants to be roped into participating in unethical ventures that hurt millions of Borreliosis sufferers around the world.

Let's hope that even if they don't feel ready to blow the whistle, at least they walk away from involvement in it.

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Elena:

Barbara Johnson has to attack the culture test as it contradicts her and the CDC position that physicians should strictly adhere to the two tier (Elisa followed by the WB) testing criteria.

Remember she has been a key speaker at the IDSA conferences influencing how the practicing MD's diagnose LD. The CDC has taken the position this two tier testing is 99% sensitive (based upon two flawed studies one by Steere the other by Wormser - both studies did the positive feedback loop for selection of lyme patients).

I know some have indicated she is named on the Elisa patent (I have a link where she is named on a couple of patents but I can't tell if they are for the Elisa).

By her having this critical paper on AL's culture test the practicing MD's can point to the culture test as being unreliable. I'm sure Wormser, Siegal, Feder, Zemel, etc would reject the culture test.

Our prime example is our daughter has never tested positive on the WB by Igenex (neither CDC or IgeneX **). She has had Igm 34 positive and 41 IND with IgG 30, 41 positive with 34 and 39 IND.

She cultured positive at the same time an Igenex WB had no positives.

My opinion is the CDC follows Barbara Johnson and still won't admit they have been wrong.

From the monkey and mouse studies showing persistent infection to Dr. Sapi with the cysts and bio films they keep denying persistent infection in humans.
in front of the IDSA should be used.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

I agree the CDC as an organisation wont admit they are wrong without a public expose of the fraud.

But sometimes individuals in CDC can speak out.

Or at least walk out [Smile]
Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good, Elena!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elena,

I am an accountant and do not know all the scientific ins and outs of the various tests and species of borrelia.

But I do know that there is a lab in the U.S. that has found both B. garinii and b. afzelli in U.S. tickborne patients by PCR testing. At least that is what the lab director told me personally a couple of years ago when I spoke to him by phone.

Apparently the lab has changed their name. They used to be called SpiroStat but now are called KS3 Lab.

http://www.spirostat.com

I would suggest calling the lab and talking with them. As far as I know they have not published any of their findings at this point.

Unfortunately the test done on hubby by that lab in early 2012 could not find any pathogens. But we all know negative PCR tests are not definitive.

Clongen Lab also offers PCR testing for other species of borrelia. Not sure if they have had any positive tests or not.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for Garinii in 2007.

I was infected in 2004 on Block Island, RI. I had never been to Europe prior to infection.

Block island has the "perfect storm" of habitat requirements for Garinii: Off-shore nesting sea birds, overabundant deer population (no natural predators), and the white footed mouse...

An interesting article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291351/

And thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/127360#000001

More threads can be found on this topic on LymeNet Europe...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Thanks, Bea and Phoiph, for interesting info.

PCR is sensitive if the primers match the infecting organism, and if it's present in the blood or tissue at the time the PCR was done. If the primers don't match, it will miss it.

Some Denialist sources have used OspA-based primers, when OspA is an extremely genetically variable molecule, esp in Europe.

By the way, it's interesting that Barbara Johnson had her patent published stating that garinii might be in North America in July 2013, then about three weeks later she rushed through the e-publication of her hatchet job on the culture test, partly based on the dogma that garinii is not present in US.

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Phoiph, a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Had you ever travelled to Asia?

2. At what lab did you have the test and what type of testing did you have?

Thanks so much.

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Elena...

I have never traveled to Asia.

The lab that tested for Garinii was Immunosciences Lab, Inc. I have always questioned the results, since I knew it was a "European" strain, and I had not traveled there.

My symptoms, however, were highly neurological and very severe...which is reportedly more "typical" of the Garinii strain.

I posted on Lymenet Europe under a related topic, and one of the posters questioned the validity of the lab, but didn't provide an explanation.

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5091&start=20

I would appreciate any information you can provide...as I haven't been able to find much information on this topic...

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elena and Phoiph,

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this topic.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/60511

Here is another link to hubby's 2006 test from ImmunoSciences. He always had totally negative Western Blots and these test results always made me wonder what strain he really had.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/045721

As far as I know ImmunoSciences is currently still offering this test -- Immunoserology of Lyme Panel A. They were out of business for a couple of years, but are back in operation.

I am still trying to get in touch with Columbia Presbyterian to see if they have ever done any testing on my husband's brain yet. Want to send samples to Advanced Lab and also Dr McD if I can ever get the paperwork processed.

Bea Seibert

[ 01-25-2014, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: seibertneurolyme ]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, Bea...

Your husband and I had the same panel.

I tested IgM positive for B.Garinii Decorin BP (1.9, w/reference range 0-1.6), plus equivocal on IgM Immunodominant protein...

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Current website for the lab.

http://www.immunoscienceslab.com

Phioph -- Looks like the lab changed their reference ranges -- When hubby did the test in 2006 the cutoff for a positive test was 2.0, but you state that 1.6 was considered a positive on your test.

Bea Seibert

Chipster
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chipster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you wonder how that Barbara Johnson lady can look herself in the mirror in the morning. She has to know what she is saying is wrong.

Well, one small comfort is that the Lyme deniers will eventually lose because of this miraculous thing called the internet.

"Experts" are no longer the sole disseminators (sp?) of information and knowledge.

Chipster

Posts: 44 | From Yes | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Bea...

Each subtest on my results (processed 4/07) has a different reference range.

The reference range for IgM B. Garinii was 0-1.6, with results in the 1.7-1.8 range considered equivocal (my result was 1.9).

Chipster
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chipster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph,

If you don't mind me asking.... Are you still aysmpmtomatic after getting Garinii. I know you had great luck with MBOT.

Chipster

Posts: 44 | From Yes | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Chipster...

Yes!

I have my life back completely...no meds, no restrictions. Working part time, running again, traveling, etc. I still "dive" regularly, as I continue to notice health benefits, and eat a very clean diet...

I never thought I could recover considering the condition I was in...

Chipster
Member # 43143

Phoiph,

Boy that is really cool. Good for you and smart that you stuck with it.

Chipster

Chipster
Member # 43143

Phoiph,

Boy that is really cool. Good for you and smart that you stuck with it.

Chipster

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, Chipster...

I credit someone much more experienced/knowledgeable than me who, at the time, encouraged me not to quit too soon...

Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Thanks everyone - I will try and learn more about the labs you mentioned as soon as I have a chance.

But I guess in the light of the new study by Middleveen et al we would also have to consider the possibility of Americans acquiring Borrelia garinii infections from a partner who came from Europe/Asia or had visited and been infected there.

Journal of Investigative
> Medicine 2014;62:280-281.
>
>
>
> ISOLATION AND DETECTION OF BORRELIA BURGDORFERI FROM HUMAN
> VAGINAL AND
>
> SEMINAL SECRETIONS
>
>
>
> Middelveen MJ*, Bandoski C**, Burke J†, Sapi E**, Mayne
> PJ***, Stricker RB††
>
> *Atkins Veterinary Services, Calgary AB, Canada;
> **University of New
>
> Haven, West Haven, CT; ***Laurieton Medical Centre,
> Laurieton NSW,
>
> Australia; †Australian Biologics, Sydney NSW, Australia;
> ††California
>
> Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA.
>
>
>
> Background: Previous epidemiological and immunological
> studies suggest
>
> that infection with the Lyme disease spirochete Borrelia
> burgdorferi
>
> could be transferred from person to person via intimate
> human contact
>
> without a tick vector (Harvey and Salvato, Med Hypotheses
> 2003;60:742;
>
> Stricker et al, J Investig Med 2004;52:S151).
>
> Detecting viable spirochetes in vaginal and seminal
> secretions would
>
> provide additional evidence to support this hypothesis.
>
>
>
> Methods: Three North American patients with a history of
> Lyme disease,
>
> one male and two female, were selected for the study after
> informed
>
> consent was obtained.
>
> Serological testing for B. burgdorferi was performed on
> all
> three
>
> subjects. Blood and semen or vaginal secretions were used
> to
> inoculate
>
> BSK-¬‐H medium for Borrelia culture. Motile spirochetes
> were detected in
>
> cultures by light and/or darkfield microscopy, and
> cultured
> spirochete
>
> concentrates were subjected to Dieterle silver staining,
> scanning
>
> electron microscopy (SEM) and anti-¬‐B. burgdorferi
> immunohistochemical
>
> staining for further characterization. Polymerase chain
> reaction (PCR)
>
> testing was performed by two independent laboratories for
> specific
>
> identification of the cultured isolates. Positive and
> negative controls
>
> for immunohistochemical staining and PCR were performed in
> all experiments.
>
>
>
> Results: Serum antibodies to B. burgdorferi were detected
> in
> all three
>
> patients. Motile spirochetes were observed in culture
> fluid
> inoculated
>
> with blood and genital secretions from the three subjects.
>
> Morphological features of spirochetes were confirmed by
> Dieterle
>
> staining, SEM and immunohistochemical staining of culture
> concentrates.
>
> PCR testing confirmed that the spirochetes isolated from
> blood and
>
> genital secretions were strains of B. burgdorferi, and PCR
> subtyping
>
> indicated that the strains were B. burgdorferi sensu
> stricto.
>
>
>
> Conclusions: The culture of viable B. burgdorferi in
> genital
> secretions
>
> suggests that Lyme disease could be transmitted by
> intimate
> contact from
>
> person to person.

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement