LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Stupid Me" Vent (w/some Celebrex on the side)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Stupid Me" Vent (w/some Celebrex on the side)
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did something really stupid this weekend and am now paying for it dearly. I stopped taking my Celebrex on my own. About 4 days later, I am rolling around in bed with aches, pain, fatigue and chills, not to mention I am an emotional wreck.

What I can't tell is if this is all from stopping Celebrex or if any of it is herxing from starting doxy around the same time. I've been sick to my stomach on the doxy and thought stopping the Celebrex would get another drug that is bad for my stomach out of there. (I have also been on iv rosephin for 2 weeks.)

To my credit, my rheumatologist told me at my last appointment that it was up to me if I wanted to get off the Celebrex. Two years of Lyrica and Celebrex, and I had not seen much improvement with the fibro he said I had.

That was before I tested with another doctor for Lyme and started treatment for Lyme and RMSF. To think I have been sick for 6-7 years, and there is hope!

To be honest, I thought going off Celebrex would be easy; however now I want to snort the stuff to get it back in my system as fast as possible. (just kidding...I would not really snort it.)

I am falling into pity party mode. It is so hard keeping track of what I can and can't eat, abx, probiotics, vitamins, supplements, other meds, dr appts and daily iv infusions. How in the world does everyone handle this without going stir crazy and still buy groceries, or clean house, or cook dinner for the family?

How do you know which drug is working and which isn't? How do you know what is really a herx vs. a bad reaction to meds? Is it best to take pain killers or anti-inflammatories to alleviate symptoms or just tough it out so you know the 'real' levels your body is experiencing?

I'm scraping info from every Forum I have joined and still feel uneducated and ill-equipped for the weeks ahead. Medical things are happening really fast around me, and I am still in "wow. Lyme Disease. Are you sure?" mode. Perhaps everyone feels this way in the beginning.

-Amy

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my word vomit. And please leave advice. I am so thankful we have the Internet for stuff like this, since Lyme technically does not exist where I live. lol

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)
Tested positive for Lyme and RMSF in Feb 2014 / suspected Babesia as well

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't take Celebrex. It just ripped my stomach in shreds. I do take large doses of MSM and Tumeric which really take care of most of my aches and pains. Don't tough it out if you can take something that will alleviate symptoms.

We all go through the pity party in the beginning of treatment. It is so hard to coordinate all the meds and supplements along with when to eat this and the foods you should not eat.

Take a deep breath and write down what you need to take and when. Put that up on your bathroom mirror to help you remember when to take your supplements and meds.

There is always hope. That is why we are all here. [group hug]

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound normal to me! Ofcourse that may not be everyone's normal....

How do you do it? One foot in front of the other. Give yourself tons of slack and give it to everyone around you. Life won't be easy or perfect, but that was not promised to us anyway....

Laugh, breathe, pray and do the best you can.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds really rough! I had to give up Celebrex during Lyme treatment. You are right about your stomach not be able to handle all of it. My LLMD said NSAIDS could later damage the joints.

Now that was years ago .. not sure what current research says about it.

Doxy is VERY HARD on the stomach. Be SURE to take it in the middle of a full meal. Do not lie down for at least an hour after taking it.

Take probiotics 2 hrs away from any antibiotics.

Day 4 is a notorious time for herxing. So .. you may have rec'd a double whammy.

I found that keeping a journal was a good way to keep track of when I started new meds, what is working, what is not.

It IS enough to make you go crazy! But you are TOUGH and you can DO IT! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone. Sometimes you just need to hear someone say you can do it to keep moving forward.

I've been trying to do gluten and sugar free with all of this, too, but fall into the emotional eater trap. I am also running out of foods to eat with the doxy (mostly in the mornings).

I keep a symptom journal and a schedule of when to take what, but I think I need it tattooed on my arm (the one that doesn't have a picc line in it).

I really just want a good bath and someone to wash my hair. That can make a girl feel like a million bucks. LOL

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ames!

I'm with you on the hairwashing! Last week I paid $50 for a haircut I probably coulda done without because I needed my hair washed SO badly! It gets washed about every 5 days now. Ugh.

And it was worth every penny from this stylist who did my hair because the shampoo included a scalp massage. I swear I drooled a bit but it got lost in the suds.

I am on the hunt for a salon that shampoos and styles for around $10. It will be worth it not to have that icky greasy feeling.

For breakfasts to take my pills with I do leftovers. Keebler got me onto that trick. Roasted veggies from the night before are the easiest and good cold. I poach or boil an egg with it to take the edge off the doxy. Yams turnips broccoli cauliflower carrots. Orange ones higher in carbs but soften the doxy in the belly.

I put my pills in a shooter glass and down the hatch they go-in the middle of the meal.

Haha.

Lymetoo is right. Day 4 seems to be when abx serum concentrations are high enough to kill and bacteria die, releasing all kinds of toxins. Day 4-Day 7 seem too be about the worse for me with oral abx.

IV abx week 6 was the worst.

Celebrex...I quit that stuff too. Read a study once that explained how inflammation actually increases after stopping NSAIDS. Almost like a withdrawl effect. Makes the person refill their prescription cause they're SO sore...

Sometimes I use Vimovo-gentler on the stomach. I try not too because of that study I read, so I maybe use it 10-15 days a month? I was taking so my much motrin my doc suggested I switch to protect my stomach.

Anyways I rambled there. Just wanted to say you're on the right track.

The beginning days are the hardest to adjust to.
It will get easier as treatment progresses. You'll start to get glimpses of pain free moments and it makes it all worthwhile.

Hang in there and keep talking about your experiences with your lyme friends for support.

Others might not get it, but folks with lyme certainly do.

[Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ames777
Member # 43190

Thanks, GretaM.

Quick question to anyone about probiotics: How much do I need?

The backs of the boxes in the stores range from 1 billion to 10 billion..whatever that means. I have read that people suggest the refrigerated kind, but I can't find a post that says how much of it to take.

I also eat 1-2 probiotic yogurts a day. Probably not many probiotics in there, but I'd like to think they are at least good for me.

--------------------
Amy

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good question!! I would personally want 100 billion CFU's daily .. minimum.

This is one of the best and most cost-effective:

http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-adult-formula-cp-1.htm

Yogurt can be counter-productive because of the sugar content. Even if you get the "light" you are ingesting aspartame and that is even worse.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I rotfl about snorting celebrex! Haha!

Great joke! Loved it!

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement