LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can our Bowels be Gently Retrained ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can our Bowels be Gently Retrained ??
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< LymeNet Family >>>>>,

Altho' the GlycoX I have been taking is making a helpful difference for me.

I am still a prisoner of the restroom most days.The 'IBS' and IC keep me close to the restroom. Since I quit the Metformin, I have not had diarrhea for the first time in a long while.

Everything is just really sluggish,especially in the mornings. And that 'heavy feeling' until things pass, presses on Urinary tract.

I want my mornings back, I have an adhesion in lower right abdomen that inflames, so i need things to become regular very very gently.

I am using psyllium fiber, and every other day a small GF flax muffin [homemade].

I am on a modified low carb diet[ some carbs are needed for the GlycoX dosages.]. My Dr. knows now,and said to keep it up. It is helping.

More than likely the damage that the LD and Co's have done, has everything sluggish. I cannot exercise as I would like, but I still try to move about, do little bits of housework[such as laundry].

If anyone has input on the retraining bowels matter,I would greatly appreciate the tho'ts and ideas. Thanks!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can re-train your body to "go" -- but it is actually more like re-establishing a natural rhythm in which you respect your body's need to eliminate waste on a regular schedule.

See http://ibs.about.com/od/constipation/ht/bowelretrain.htm for how to do this...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Razzle >>>>>>,

Thanks for the reply and info' link!!!

Good to know,I'm doing at least part of this right. And I try to be patient, my whole system is such a mess. So I'm reminding myself, not to be frustrated that it is taking awhile!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is magnesium and vit c in the mix? I know they help me

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< 'kayak >>>>>,

I'm taking Mag',need to get Vit.C on payday!

I bet the C would help... gotta do something here.

Thanks for the reply!!! Sooner or later I'll get the right combo of food,supplements,and so on and it'll calm down.

Jus, Silverwolfi

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take more mag until then.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have found my magic bullet for constipation. I hesitate to scream from the rooftops for fear that I will jinx it.

My constipation is such that I can go for weeks without anything coming out. I took miralax and fiber daily and pulsed senna and dulcolax. With all that I could only get the bowel to move with consecutive mega-doses of dulcolax which rips my intestines and stomach apart.

Anyway I started supplementing with 5-HTP. In a thread I started about constipation "surprise" mentioned that some anti-depressants at a low level help because they increase serotonin levels.

I still take one dose of miralax a day. Mango Xan was also recommended in the same thread which I will try adding to see if I can get off of all laxatives.

Here are some references:

http://www.healthline.com/health/irritable-bowel-syndrome/serotonin-effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16990446

Posts: 833 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hello again <<<<< Lymetoo and terv >>>>>,

Thanks for the replies and info' links!!!

I wonder if I don't need more magnesium in general... been running low on product so making do.

I still get leg/foot cramps and that usually signals a need for more mag for me too.

Trying to remember if I haven't used 5-HTP before??? Those links were interesting too Terv.
HAve to see what I can find naturally to boost serotonin.

Trying to get everything regulated is an issue for me, not as patient as I should be. Just glad I don't have to take the Metformin any longer. I'm wondering if it didn't cause a lot of my 'IBS' symptomology.

Altho' intestinal and colon issues have run in both sides of my family for as long as I can remember.

Thanks again for the input from each replier!!! Even tho' we are on a tight budget right now, with more info' we can plan carefully what we can afford for me to try!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Silver... Try Swanson's Vitamins or Vitacost for cheap prices. I like the NOW brand from Swanson's.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hi <<<<< Lymetoo >>>>>,

We'll check on that for the prices! good to know they have NOW brand,I've used several of those products in past,and I like them.

Thanks for the info',we are trying to keep costs down.

One of the meds my Dr. tho't might help for sinus issues was $80 dollars. We did not get it,as I have no insurance. Will talk w/ him about the cost in a couple of months.

I am checking herbal supplements and Essential oils for the sinus,/respiratory and allergy problems. Will see what I can find ,as $80 is way to much for our budget.

And I have to keepin mind,what is likely to help w/o 'IBS' type side affects, because most everything seems to affect me.

Thanks again for the info and replies [Smile] !!

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

chainsaw joseph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chainsaw joseph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut is a mess from atbx,alot of constipation. I have found magnesium makes me go but I feel worse on magnesium.I feel better on vitamin c for a laxative. I think the C keeps me more acidic,I think the magnesium gives the yeast more of an environment they like than the acidic vitamin C.
Posts: 308 | From new bedford,Ma. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ayervedic believes that one needs to drink a large glass of warm water first thing upon rising.

It helps flush metabolites and byproducts that have accumulated in the night.

It apparently helps promote regularity.

Free to try [Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Silver .. what's in the sinus remedy? I bet you can find the same thing at a better price.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement