LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rodale: The Top Natural Treatments for Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rodale: The Top Natural Treatments for Lyme Disease
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
earlier article, but good and simple:

The Top Natural Treatments for Lyme Disease
http://www.rodalenews.com/lyme-disease-treatment

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Jean
Member # 44625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Jean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article, thanks for sharing!
Posts: 35 | From North Texas | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some good aspects to that article (kudos for included ILADS link and the advice to see a certified herbalist or the like although the caveat that few are really LL should have been included) . . .

but one very serious mistake here (even if it was not intended):

"Although Lyme typically zaps people's energy, intense exercise during and after treatment can help keep the disease at bay. " (end quote)

First, the illusion that intense exercise can keep lyme "at bay" is just wrong. Sounds like if you just push harder, lyme won't develop in full force. Very rarely, has that been the case for a lucky one or two. Usually, it just makes it much worse.

"Intense" exercise can be very damaging in many ways and those who think they need to do this can be demeaned by others when they just can't. And they should not.

It's negligent to just leave it as "intense" as that word is usually defined at face value.

Aerobic exercise during infection can damage the heart, further damage adrenal system, tax the liver and even adversely affect a brain that can be swollen from lyme / TBD. And that's just a start to what can happen when people think just go "gung ho". No. That's not the way to go.

Movement is vital, of course, lead by the patient, themselves to determine what they can safely do - without "payback". Some may need massage done for them if they can't do anything. And that's okay.

For some, just walking a bit is all they can do. And that's okay, too.

The "blame game" is a huge enough weight for many with lyme to carry so it just infuriates me to see something like this in an article or book that makes it seem so simple -

- and those without lyme can really use it against those who are ill (even if they think they "mean well" those who don't really know lyme often cannot grasp what it does to the body).

For safe exercise / movement, scroll through this set:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

CARDIAC INFO & SUPPORT

Includes:

Dr. B's SAFE EXERCISE and PT Rehab guidelines,

EXERCISE INTOLERANCE is (partially) explained in the article: "when exercise doesn't work out" (and what we can do about that)

ADRENAL, CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIA & MYELIN SUPPORT - that all helps movement better work for us

Styles discussed: Pilates; Qi Gong; Tai Chi; Yoga; water; strolling; etc. Weight training is good - for some but not for all (if there is joint or tendon damage, do not push & irritate that, find a different way to move).
-

[ 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Keebler, for reinstating "no intense exercise." That is SO wrong for Rodale to suggest intense exercise.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading in a few articles around conflicting info on the exercise thing. some did say intense exercise ONCE you are well enough is key.

my son had lyme almost his whole life , if not his whole, but he never showed any major signs. I did feel a thought to contribute this 'wellness' to the intense sport regime he had since 4 years old.

yes, intense at 4, I know, Iknow, but he drove me nuts as he constantly needed physical activity to concentrate or behave civilly.

he is 16 now. and after this year of treatment has been the most calm and mentally together for the first time in his life. and has given up the daily exercise and narrowed his schedule down to just 2 sports per year.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

but, noted that this example using my son is NOT typical.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hey, I think it's great your son can be a dynamo, naturally. Truly, he sounds a natural at it and it serves him, sounds like.

Not directing this at anyone here . . . but it just pushed an alarm I hear these days -- directed at those in our media industry who sell us bully shows, tons of equipment and destroy our souls when we just can't measure up . . . or afford to pay for the next level of intimidation.

And all those adds with only beautiful perfect models in perfect lives. That kind of presence permeates and destroys us before we even know it.

The emphasis on "intense" is very disturbing, for anyone, anytime, regardless of the condition of their body.

When did "intense" become the requirement? I think it's very dangerous to go for "intense" rather than just move one's body as one finds best. This obsession with "intense" is a disease unto itself. Media driven, in part.

If one finds they want / need / do great being very active, that's great. But to have "intense" as a goal is dangerous on many levels. And it's the big message out there in media. Must be stronger, faster, better.

Baloney.

I say "find pursuits that are enjoyable and nourishing to the body, brain, spirit."

"Intense" not required (and often not a reasonable or desirable goal).

"Consistency" is a good goal, however. "Variety" is vital, too.

I also am a proponent of no machines (or as little equipment as possible), being either out in or with a view of nature during any movement methods chosen.

And, rather than organizing exercise, just get out and enjoy activities that get you moving without equipment that will fill up landfills for all of time (or just sit among what you'd do and enjoy being at least there if that's all your body can do at certain times).

Do not measure heart rate, steps, miles, distance. Don't ruin it by turning it into homework.

Notice, instead, what it feels like to be in the moment, out in nature, with others or alone . . . be in the moment. Move. Enjoy just being there. Breathe. Notice colors, shape, nature's changes, etc. Enjoy how your body is getting stronger as it rounds that turn or climbs a gentle slope. Or, nurture it when events are otherwise.

Music can play an wonderful role as companion here, too. As well as taking some movement time to enjoy silence - and "listen" to nature, our inner selves, etc.

A class of Tai Chi, Qi Gong or Pilates can also provide many riches in unexpected ways. Dance, too. Hiking clubs all over for all levels. Even if just going with the group, sitting it out, walking a bit . . . that's fine, too. The only rule is don't stray too far from where your ride will depart!
-

[ 10-09-2014, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

LisaK
Member # 41384

some people NEED intense. some do not . I do think there is a ton of validity in the whole blood type thing too. Os need tons of aerobic exercise while As need something like gentle walks or stretching.

everyone is different.

my son was 4 and after anything I put him in for exercise he asked me where we were going next because little 4 year old classes were no where near enough for him.

when he was 5 he helped me move- from the basement up a flight of steps- an oversized reclining chair and a half. he was on the bottom while I pulled. he pushed.

people used to see him at the pool and ask me in a suspicious tone if I made him weightlift! he was so little! it was natural muscle for him. born that way. he crawled at 3 months old and walked all over by 7 months.

he drove me totally nuts. he was never tired and always in zoom mode. I had to do something. I put him in cross country running team at the local school. we homeschooled so I told them he was in kindergarten.

he ran 1/2 mile, 3 days a week and still had energy after.

I am defending here, of course that is obvious, but I DO agree that with lyme et al, people need to not over do it as it may cause damage. I experinced that all first hand. but, I I do think my son's experience saved him from getting very sick early on. ( I had lyme while pregnant with him)

and I must admit , that when my son reached puberty I suspected something was up with his immune system. he started to get more tired from his then self imposed regime and was sick all the time. last year he was diagnosed with tick disease after I was.

now, after treatment he feels no need to keep up with what he used to do. he even decided not to try out for the high school basketball team which he played on last year.

going up and down the stairs a few times a day is enough for me right now. [Smile]

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Living a life with one's natural intensity, abundant energy and unbridled enthusiasm - with strength to go with it - is not what I was talking about with the "command" that exercise must be intense.

Some love that approach even at a gym and it fuels them. But there's a larger group that has been doused by all that sweat dripping off all those machines. Those who try to make it work, try to fit in but it's too grueling to master and too humiliating to voice that to anyone in our intense-filled exercise culture

[that is such a mind warp wrapped up in the intense junk food movement to boot! But, again, I drift and can't possibly fit my words to make this read well.]

For as odd as it is that we now have to say "real" food to be specific. . . even the idea of exercise is something that is just beyond what's natural, really. Ask your grandparents & their friends what they did for exercise. And take time to really be with their responses.

Ask someone from one of the Scandinavian countries. Activity is just integrated into life's experiences.

Like we had to make that up when our life style took a very wrong turn - and natural grounds started to disappear. As a culture, a society. I'm not talking about those who are ill here but about the larger picture.

I can't explain the difference as well as I wish I could but it's not what I was trying to explain.

I do know that someone who can live their life with physical intensity and remain grounded, well, that's wonderful. And the way it should be.

But no one should ever be commanded that they must to "do" "intense" "exercise" as that often misses the mark in many ways that I really wish I could verbalize here.

It's sort of like trying to be happy or trying to find love. You can't try. You can't "find" it. It does not "happen" but - as one lives, it becomes an integral part.

A body does that to, it can't "try" to reach "intensity" but by doing all kinds of things along the way, we might be pleased with how well we can do at this or that.

Again, how I wish I could put words to my thoughts. Still, this matter is one that haunts - yes, haunts - many. This "not measuring up" always needing to "measure" and the like, well, I just have to put a voice to ending the "intensity" of "intensity" as a directive -

- my body has never measured up. And abuse has been peppered at me for decades because of it. I want to shine a light on this for everyone.

I also want to help others understand that it does not have to fast and furious to be good. Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Pilates are just some examples of movement therapy that can be enjoyed for simply the sake of doing it . . .

and a person can be delighted that, over time - with consistency - strength most certainly can be a natural result of it.

[Not talking here about those for whom intense physical training is necessary for a job or service, of course. That's different yet, still, they find incorporating ballet or yoga - or even still meditation or visualization - to have surprising benefits. It's really not always about physical "intensity" for intensity's sake.]
-

[ 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

LisaK
Member # 41384

I know what you are trying to say. I agree with you.

I just know every person is different and some people need what others shouldn't have. that's all I'm saying.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement