LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Electrified Sleep?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Electrified Sleep?
mamalicious
Member # 43611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else had sleep disturbance

characterized by an "electrified nervous system?"

To describe, when I shut my eyes and try to drift

off I almost see

flashing lights or images. I try to think pleasant

thoughts but it's as if my brain is overcome by the

activity. My involuntary twitches and jerks pick way

up and electrical zaps or stinging sensations

too. I may drift off then my brain will just turn

back on and wake me up. I also can be really

drowsy, in and out of sleep, but have an extreme

general noxious sensation that overcomes me. Dr.

thinks central pain ( I get this in day too,

especially when herxing). It's

almost like the act of sleeping ramps up my

nervous system!

These symptoms had been so much better since

starting treatment for Lyme but recently have

come back during the past week. I'm in the middle

of Babesia tx, so added in Mepron a few weeks

back.

I have to take Ambien as it's been my only relief

I've found so far, but it doesn't always overcome

this when it happens.

Anyone else experience this? Anything help? It's

really like torture.

Posts: 97 | From Rockwall,TX | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Indeed, what you describe is very common with lyme / TBD for various reasons: the neuro-excitatory (neuro-toxicity) aspect of it; the adrenal hit to the HPA-axis; and so much more.

Liver support, antioxidants to counter the toxicity & Adrenal support (not boosting, though) is of help.

Try to avoid anything that you feel over-charges you. Be sure all electronics are either out of the bedroom or unplugged. And best to avoid electronics for an hour or so before bed (I know, that's hard but it helps).

Turn off WiFi or any such stuff, too. No need to have any of that on during the night.

Best help: avoid all food additives as many are excitatory in nature. And:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - LINKS sets
-

[ 09-28-2014, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
All mentioned above, more detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/113775?#000000

Topic: Amino Acid Information Link

See post: Caution: Aspartate; Glutamine; and Phenylalanine (3 excitatory amino acids that can be wrong for us when added as supplements, beyond a normal dietary level) -- anything that claims to give you energy: be very cautious

Seaweed has its own natural MSG and can be very excitatory

Be sure to avoid electric blankets, heating pads and the like. Those really wired me for a long time and I had no clue.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say:

" brain will just turn back on and wake me up" . . . "almost like the act of sleeping ramps up my nervous system!" (end quotes)

While lyme / TBD can do this do it its own toxic activity and depletion of magnesium . . . and other ways it short circuits the various nervous systems and adrenal system . . .

Ambien did that for me. It would JOLT me awake in the middle of the night, big time, with a jolt that lasted for hours. So unsettling and beyond.

At first, it was wonderful, it lulled me calm. But then it turned vicious on me. Worst time of my life. Wish I had known then about magnesium and also about

Scullcap tincture, Holy Basil tincture. In the sleep thread above.

Take care.
-

GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes me too.

The very act of laying flat, in the dark, seems to speed up my brain activity.

Sometimes, even though it is pitch black in my room, my brain tells me there are big flashes of white light, even though there aren't.

I don't take sleeping meds every night.

With or without them, I still get the ramped up feeling when I lay down.

Still get the bright flashes of light.

Sometimes my brain tells me there are strange smells also.

It is very annoying to be exhausted when sitting up, but to get ramped up as soon as I lay down to go to bed.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure you are getting enough good fats in your diet. Coconut oil, one tablespoon every 8 hours, especially one at night before bed, is really helpful to the brain to be able to settle down.

A variety of oils, too, throughout the day, in addition. FISH OIL, a good clean source, vital.
-

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GretaM:
Yes me too.

The very act of laying flat, in the dark, seems to speed up my brain activity.

<snip>

It is very annoying to be exhausted when sitting up, but to get ramped up as soon as I lay down to go to bed.

I was told if one feels more energy lying down than sitting up, it is a symptom of adrenal exhaustion.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be on the verge of sleep and wake up in what seemed like a brain shock. It didn't hurt, but it jolted me and often my whole body would jerk.
Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Razzle posted:

"I was told if one feels more energy lying down than sitting up, it is a symptom of adrenal exhaustion." (end quote)

Yes. And, it's not the act of lying down / resting that does it -- but it brings the state of alarm to our awareness. When up and doing things, we just don't "hear" it or feel it as much.

Please, do not interpret this as you should not lie down / quiet yourself. All the more reason your body is screaming that is want it needs and that it's been over "cooked" so to speak.

It's a very, very rough spot because we want to run from this icky experience. The only way I know it so just not fight it and continue resting.

I admit, this is the worse time for all fears, regrets, demons, etc. So, it's take a lot of work but when they (or pain) is just overpowering, I have tried to learn instead to focus on good memories that are visual and "go into those" . . . or dreams / hopes of future - being somewhat practical or just way out there in fantasy land.

As for the pain, instead of the horror of the reality and feeling like "my goose is cooked" it can be a time to wonder, "okay, what else might I do differently?"

But even that is too much work for toasted adrenals.

Deep slow steady breathing . . . gentle music or travel videos can be a bridge but for a true adrenal crisis, it's best to have as little sensory stimulation as possible. And good nutrient support, too - all "unplugged" as possible.

For those who do not live alone, this could be a time for quiet conversations, story telling, if up for that. Could be a time to enrich relationships.

Poetry might save the day, too. I find it too hard to read much else and poetry is starting to really call to me. It's a very unique place.

National Geographic magazines, too. I ask the people & places of each photo to tell me their / its story.
-

[ 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember sleeping and twitching like I was holding on to live wires.

I don't remember what stage of treatment I was in, but I sure remember how miserable it was.

Sorry.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronimog
Member # 34875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geronimog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this horrible sensation that wakes me up in the middle of the night too. It's never happened while I was upright, or during the day. I've gotten this after taking tinidazole, as well as GSE. But here's what solved the mystery for me: eating larger ocean fish. In my case it's mercury. When I awake with this symptom I quickly take lipoid acid, and walk off the awful wired feeling. I'm usually ready to sleep again in 15 minutes.

I never used to have this problem, even while chelating mercury. At some point the mercury just got a whole lot more toxic in my system. As I understand the science inorganic mercury can change into organic mercury under the right circumstances. I think this happens in my body.

Posts: 65 | From Montreal | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, metals, great find Geronimo! Interesting how tindi and GSE both hit parasites--parasites release metals when they die.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamalicious
Member # 43611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately I get this everytime I sleep although it fluctuates in intensity.

I haven't been on tinidazole yet. What is GSE?

I am not a fish eater but doesn't mean it's not a metal...

geronimog- how much lipoic acid do you take?

Posts: 97 | From Rockwall,TX | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamalicious
Member # 43611

Unfortunately I get this everytime I sleep although it fluctuates in intensity.

I haven't been on tinidazole yet. What is GSE?

I am not a fish eater but doesn't mean it's not a metal...

geronimog- how much lipoic acid do you take?

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mamalicious,

(GSE) is - Grapefruit-seed Extract

Do a search on (grapefruit-seed extract + Lyme)

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronimog
Member # 34875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geronimog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mamalicious,

I take 200 mg. I've used LA for quite some time and am able to do this without problems or discomfort. However if you haven't done any mercury chelation you'll probably want to stay away from this. Certainly people who still have mercury in their mouths or consume a lot should never take LA, as it can take that mercury across the blood-brain barrier and then let go of it.

The other chelator I've used is DMSA. There's no risk of transport to the brain with this one. The downside is it's expensive and doesn't work as quickly.

Posts: 65 | From Montreal | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement