LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » going out of my mind with this lower back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: going out of my mind with this lower back
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my lower back pulses with tightness and electric current, during the day it's bad but not so bad as at 2 or 3AM when I am woken and can't get it to stop or get comfortable with it...

there are times when my upper thighs feel numb...

I stopped the bicillin injections a few weeks ago
I stopped the testosterone gel I was applying daily
I stopped the glutathione pill
I stopped the st john's wort
all in the hope that I could isolate the trigger for this

the only thing I'm currently taking is Remag magnesium, a fish oil pill, some probiotics, occasionally a men's multivitamin

I'm going out of my mind with this...all day long I twist and turn and rotate and stretch to try to get the tightness out and I can hear things pop, but nothing seems to be helping

but it's the 2 and 3 am wake up call with the tightness and pain and electric pulsing that really makes me crazy

any ideas?

I seem to not have any brain fog, and am only depressed when these symptoms are bad,

I have had over the course of the summer lots of acid indigestion and GI burbling but I seem to be regular, or more regular than I was used to in the past anyway

sometimes when I want to be positive, I think that I have to get through this pain, discomfort as it's a sign that my body is readjusting to healthiness, but deep down I think something worse is going on or going to come on and make me really sick again....

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan-Hang in there! I know what you mean about the back tightness.

I get this in my neck.

Things that help me:

Magnesium. I take it 4 times a day. I spray magnesium oil (mag chloride) directly on my neck. Stops the cramping within half hour or less.

Walking/running. This helps my spine more than anything else. The movement seems to uncramp the muscles.

Sitting and laying makes my spine worse. So I avoid this and try to keep moving when it cramps up.

Last visit my LL injected ozoneated saline into my neck area and boy oh boy that helped loads! Way better than lidocaine and ketamine injections I had tried prior.

If you have an ND who is trained in ozone...give that a shot!

[Smile]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad you got the ReMag. How long have you been on it?? I would take the maximum dosage and perhaps supplement with more in pill form. I do!

Are you taking any anti-inflammatories like curcumin?

Do you take ReMag at bedtime and/or when you wake during the night?

Do you need a new bed perhaps?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Dan,

Not wanting to alarm you but if you are experiencing numbness in both legs along with your back pain, I would suggest you attend the Emergency Dept.

We know that nothing Lyme-related is taken seriously, but there are also other possible causes for that pattern of symptoms, some of which can be very serious, and it's very important you have them ruled out.

Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the electrical current, it sounds like it's nervous system related. If it's coming from your lower back, I'd suspect something with your spine. Could be as simple as a chiropractor fixing a subluxation, or as bad as a disc problem.

I'd see a doctor. Personally, I'd start with a chiropractor trained in functional medicine and go from there because they can refer you to a medical doctor if necessary.

I've also had muscle spasms hit a nerve, but usually that's not on both sides ... you said both thighs. When I had a periformis spasm, I had sciatic pain on one side only.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely get an MRI.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your symptoms sound like the could be realted to Ankylosing Spondylitis. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ankylosingspondylitis.html

You may want to try eliminating all starches from your diet to see if that helps.
This site has a ton of helpful info http://www.kickas.org/index.html

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe facet arthritis of lower spine. I uswd to have severe pain. I am almost always paon free there now because pt taught me a few things...better way to walk , better sleeping position

I think you should get checked out an learn to do what doesnt aggrevate it. There are many things that work before surgery is needed. Often never need surg. Good luck

[ 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: lpkayak ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all the suggestions for checking diagnostically, if only to rule out possibilities. Chiropractors can be very helpful for treatments. Depends on what's going on.

I always start with basics for alleviation, like check heat and cold and see whether either takes down a symptom.

During the day, a TENS unit can help to cover up the symptom.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all the suggestions - I had MRI's a number of years ago and we know I have herniated discs, and although one surgeon wanted to operate the MD who referred me to him recommended against it, as well as everyone else who saw me then....

the pain and discomfort was bad last night again and woke me at 2 and again at 5...

I think I forgot to mention in my original post that I am taking diflucan - maybe that has something to do with the severity of this lately?

I'm going to stop for awhile and see if it gets better

yesterday, I had a good afternoon, but started feeling awful on the way home, once home was better until I ate.. then I had discomfort and coughing...I had taken a diflucan with my dinner....

then of course I woke during the night with the tightness, discomfort and pain...

one thing that started this summer is when I have to urinate, there's no waiting, I have to go right away...

sometimes I think these vitamins and supps and herbs might be causing or aggravating these symptoms

I'm very anxious about all of this because - get ready - I'm leaving on safari in Kenya and South Africa next week...

sometimes I wonder if I am going to leave, that's how bad it's getting....

I also think I need to see about a GI guy about all the GI symptoms, but haven't because the guy I saw for 20+ years is a real traditionalist tied to Tagamet and that sort of thing, and I don't think he's going to help...anyone know of a natural GI guy in Manhattan, would you PM me?

thanks again...

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going on safari with a bad back. Yikes. Sitting on an airplane for a long time is going to be no fun. Not to mention sitting around in airports between flights. Then bad roads. You are brave to do this. Hope you find something that will help during the trip. Sometimes we just have to charge ahead and do things we want to do in order to have a life. Hope it works out for you. I was in a camping group on safari, involving a big open truck which could be very rough, and sleeping on the ground in a tent.

But I understand doing this in spite of everything. I went to Australia with an IV line but had to stop the meds because it was too hard to take them along. I did lose ground with lyme, even with pills. However, not sorry I did it.

The worst back issues I had seemed to be associated with babesia. I can't be sure because both lyme and babs were involved and I was being undertreated. When I got more aggressive treatment, especially with the babs, the back got better and so far, years later, hasn't regressed. On a scan of some kind a disk problem was identified, but clearly that wasn't the cause. Presumably it is still there but not bothering me. During that time, sitting was painful after 15 minutes or so, hammocks very comfortable for my back.

I am telling you all this in case something resonates, not so you know my life history!

There are, as pointed out above, other things that might cause this apart from tickborne disease complications, but it is so hard for the non-literate to sort them out.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Safari ?? O U C H!!

Gut issues could indeed make your back spasms worse. Stay away from all the bad stuff and take lower doses of diflucan until you know what is causing it.

I guess there's no time for an MRI to make sure your discs aren't out of whack.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Eight Legs Bad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13680

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Eight Legs Bad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are experiencing problems with urination along with your back pain and numbness, then it's even more vital you go to the Emergency Dept..

Lyme can impact the spinal cord and the nerve roots (radiculopathy) - so can certain other causes.

If there is ANYTHING impacting the spinal cord or the cauda equina (the "tail" of nerves that hangs down from the bottom of the cord) prompt treatment is absolutely essential.

You have had prolapsed discs - sometimes these can worsen so that the disc is pressing on the cord or cauda equina.

Please see information from our National Health Service below here in UK (boldface mine):

"Symptoms of a slipped disc

Media last reviewed: 18/01/2013

Next review due: 18/01/2015

Most people with a slipped disc experience pain on one side of the body that starts slowly and gets worse over time.

A slipped disc in the lower back can cause:

back pain during movement
numbness or a tingling sensation in the back, buttocks, genitals, legs or feet

If a slipped disc is putting pressure on the sciatic nerve, it can lead to pain in the leg, hip or buttocks. This is known as sciatica.
Other nerves

If the slipped disc presses on any of the other nerves that run down your spinal cord, your symptoms may include:

muscle paralysis
muscle spasms – where your muscles contract suddenly and painfully

Muscle spasms and paralysis tend to occur in your arms, legs and buttocks.

Cauda equina syndrome

Cauda equina syndrome is a serious condition where the nerves at the very bottom of the spinal cord become compressed. Symptoms include:

lower back pain
numbness in your groin
paralysis of one or both legs
rectal pain
loss of bowel control (bowel incontinence)
loss of bladder control (urinary incontinence)
pain in the inside of your thighs

You should seek medical assistance immediately if you develop these symptoms. Visit your GP or the accident and emergency (A&E) department of your nearest hospital.

If cauda equina syndrome is not promptly treated, the nerves to your bladder and bowel can become permanently damaged."
Elena

--------------------
Justice will be ours.

Posts: 786 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, you need to have it checked out. Low back pain and urinary issues could indicate a kidney infection. I'd get that checked out before going to Africa.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan:

Suggest you check Brucella as a potential coinfection. It can cause back issues involving the disks, etc.

CHeck out the symptom lists here http://www.lyme-symptoms.com/ChronicCoInfectionSymptoms.html

Also agree with others...you could just have disk issues.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 24 yrs with low back pain (discs) and neuro tremors etc. I have found a few tricks of the trade.
1. Ice packs as soon as you awake. I shove them in my shorts and walk around, despite family teasing
2. Pain doc injected a combo of Botox et al. It works for a few months to ease pain.
3. Acupuncture by A1 acupuncturist. I see elderly man in San Francisco who is considered to be tops. He is, when I can get there. Meanwhile, I have learned to use a few needles myself.
4. Requip is helping me with restless legs at night. I take it 2xday.
5. Ultram (the real deal, not Tramadol) for pain up to 4xday
6. Best of all, new anti-inflammatory drug Zorvolex along with Ultram is amazing!

Best of luck on your wonderful adventure!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mommabear
Member # 44807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mommabear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 04-01-2015, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Mommabear ]

Posts: 21 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc said there is a big nerve in lower back that affects urination. If your back is inflamed sx are worse. Controlling inflammation and correcting posture will hold off urine problems

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement