LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » no herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no herx
chickenforme2
Member # 44879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickenforme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit by a tick and started to have some weird symptoms. Then I went on abx on never had a herx. Is that normal?

--------------------
wh

Posts: 6 | From nh | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It is not uncommon. You have started with early treatment, too, and that likely makes a good difference.

Hopefully, your doctor instructed you to take liver support before starting antibiotics as that is best. Still, Your liver might be in good shape and that is really the major difference in herx reactions.

Be sure you are treating with an ILADS educated LL doctor, though, for a comprehensive approach to lyme and - be assessed for other tick borne infections, too.

As you address the cystic form of lyme (antibiotics don't cover that form), you could experience a different reaction. Or, with further antibiotics / combination, you could as well.

Be sure to have liver support always - always - on board. Be very glad that this has been addressed relatively soon, though. That usually really helps but it does not necessary mean the full ride will be a breeze so take good care of yourself and cover all the bases.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I see that you posted in "seeking" to find a LLMD. Good. So, it seems that (either recently or a while back, maybe not too long ago?) you likely had a short, typical course of one antibiotic for a couple / few weeks?

I'm guessing here. And I'm guessing that doxycycline was the antibiotic of choice. Many feel better with that for the start. Some feel so much better.

And -- many stay feeling okay with that. You may be one of the lucky ones. But you don't say if you still feel better now, just that you did not herx.

Sadly, doxycycline (or any single antibiotic or even combination abx) can quiet down lyme and push it into the cyst form when a different Rx is required.

Yet, some folks never seem to have trouble later. Many do. Thousands do. But some do not for whatever reasons. One major reason can be the particular strain or mutation of lyme involved, lack of coinfections, etc.

Pamela Weintraub discusses this in her book "Cure Unknown" (don't be put off by the title, she has reached a good strong remission and many more are doing the same for long enough that some count themselves "cured"0.

Either way - or any of the myriad of ways this can go -- I hope you get lucky but am glad to hear you are seeking out a real professional in this matter.

And, as you are seeking a LLMD, you have educated yourself beyond what the typical family doctors will know / do. Good.

But the wait can be a while. I see that you asked about vitamins in a different thread. Good food is your best friend (real, from the earth) . . . and you got some good replies for particular supplements.

Those were about support. I suggest something that might be more direct - to cover the bases a bit more until you can get in to see a LLMD. Some options include:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links - Olive Leaf Extract

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

In each of these sets, you will find a thread for "how to find a LL ND" - a naturopathic doctor trained in herbals, etc. In that set are all kinds of other links, books, articles.

Go right to Buhner, and then also to Zhang - for their books, sites.

Some find the COWDEN approach helpful. I just have not explored that in it entirety but do know that Buhner & Zhang have excellent thought and study behind their work.
-

chickenforme2
Member # 44879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickenforme2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I had some weird syptoms so I went to the drs. No herx. My dr gave my doxy and tested me at the same time. Test negative. Is that normal? I had this unusual pain in my upper spine for a while and a little arthritis.

No my dr didnt say anything about liver supports. She doesn't seem to know much about lyme. I told her my feet tingled bad one day from some sugar I ate and she didnt know why. This is before I went to the dr. I know now not to do that.

Thanks for all your help. I am new to this and don't know much so I very grateful.

--------------------
wh

Posts: 6 | From nh | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
How soon after the tick bite were you tested? Too soon and the test will never register. Still, most doctors order the wrong tests, the CDC criteria for what "counts" is all messed up, etc.

Most doctors will not treat, anyway, not the way lyme needs to be treated. So, even if they could properly diagnose you, they usually still can't help much.

A diagnose of lyme is never to be based on tests, but on clinical presentation - history (the bite), symptoms, etc.

I can't say that you certainly have lyme but

A. you had that tick bite.

B. your symptoms are classic for lyme.

You do not say if your symptoms are resolved but as you posted in "Seeking Doctor" I'm assuming you are still having some symptoms?

If not, as mentioned above, you could be one of the lucky ones but you'd still need to learn all this just in case.

And if you are having symptoms, I hope you find a LLMD soon. As you are addressing this fairly soon after the tick bite (I think?) . . . you stand a much easier time of it, hopefully.

For your research / study file & notes:

Important to realize, though, from that first dose, monotherapy (with just one Rx, and one that can't address the cyst form, anyway) can cause chronic lyme by driving spirochetes into hiding.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=120369;p=0

Topic: replication within cystic forms of lyme

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

27 Reasons for False Negative (Seronegative) Test Results in Lyme Disease

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions that can hold us back - are discussed here.

http://publichealthalert.org/uploads/2013_6.pdf

Public Health Alert (PHA) is a newspaper committed to researching and investigating Lyme Disease and other chronic illnesses

Laboratory Tests and Diagnosis for Lyme Disease and Co-infections - June 2013

- by Armin Schwarzbach, M.D., Ph.D. - Five Pages
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Feet tingling from sugar you ate -- that could be due to various things.

1. If while on antibiotics, a system yeast infection can cause all kinds of sensations. This happens because the antibiotics kill off good as well as bad bacteria in our gut, but can affect the whole body.

I hope your doctor instructed you to take plenty of good quality PROBIOTICS while on antibiotics. Just not at the same time, but hours away both directions of the clock -- since antibiotics can kill off the good effect of probiotics when taken too closely together.

2. Sugar -- I hope you've had a basic glucose blood test. Be sure your blood glucose is stable and be mindful of eating protein, healthy fats and complex carbs with each meal and snack. Of course, all from good whole sources.

3. when on antibiotics, it's best (necessary, really) to avoid all processed and refined carbohydrates. Stick with real food, from the earth, not in packages -- and of course, no refined sugar.

Stevia is okay.

3. Bartonella, a tick borne infection often affects the feet in various ways.

4. Certain food additives tend to be more irritating to those with lyme. Detail below but it can take a while to sort through all this.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Find SAFE FOODS

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

Gluten discussed here, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Find your closest lyme support group. In the meantime, really important to know:

NO STEROIDS

AVOID any sudden twisting, cracking or popping of your spine / neck. No hand or head stands or anything else that puts pressure on your spine.
-

chickenforme2
Member # 44879

It was about 3 months after I was tested. I got treated but now where there was some spine pain it went away and now is worse with some headaches and neckstiffness. Is that normal? I also seem to have a lower sex drive, can lyme do that too? That doesn't seem possible it could do that.

Thanks, I will try to avoid all processed food. Before you told me that we ate some hot dogs and I didn't feel so good after that either, I remember my feet tinglying quite a bit. Time to eat more veggies and organic foods.

Would steriodss just make the infection spread? I used google and it said some people show no sign of infection but just have a reaction too it. One lady said she used ivig for treatment too for chronic lyme. I personally thought you need more abx but maybe I'm wrong. Cyst form? What abx do they use for that? How does it do that?

I need to get to a llmd quick before this gets bad.

--------------------
wh

TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chickenforme2:
I had this unusual pain in my upper spine for a while and a little arthritis.

Any symptom is possible with these infections, and candida/yeast is definitely a possibility with what you have said about your foods.

But, I have done a lot of reading about brucellosis over the past number of months, and spine pain (but usually lumbar and SI joint area-but also general axial skeleton pain) and arthritis (osteo-articular pain) are some key symptoms of brucellosis.

I honestly feel brucella is much more endemic than currently thought.

I would at least familiarize myself with the symptoms of brucellosis if I were you. Being an informed patient in general will help direct and maximize your treatment and recovery.

There is good info concerning brucellosis in the "brucellosis" thread if you want a place to start.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you are new, welcome. :)

There are a few books that will help since lyme and company can be so overwhelming: Healing Lyme (Buhner) and Cure Unknown (Weintraub).

You also need to find a lyme literate doc (LLMD). You can got to SEEKING a dr or to www.lymediseaseassociation.org and they will email you some names.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Then I went on abx on never had a herx. Is that normal?"

For me, yes. I've even taken 3 heavy-duty antibiotics at once and no herx.

Sometimes a person just feels better and better or they don't have a "noticeable" herx.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement