LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bart treatment for Joint Pains?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bart treatment for Joint Pains?
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I am still trying to get my 3 yr old son some relief from pain in his hands/feet which keeps him on NSAIDs almost daily.

He's had these pains since infancy. He has congenital Lyme.

2014 was a year of indecision on my part - I jumped around from treatment to treatment. He did about 7 months of various ABX under an LLMD. After lack of response to the abx I switched him to a naturopath for herbal treatment, which also has not made any difference.

In fact he is much worse now than he was one year ago. His pain is more intense and no longer responds to pain medicines all the time.

Now I am resolved to get him back to the LLMD and start ABX in earnest for a prolonged treatment.

The first time round the LLMD rotated through combos of Amox, Zith, Flagyl, Ceftin, Omnicef. But he did not do any Bartonella abx.

There's a strong possibility he may have Bart as my wife was positive for B.Henselae years ago.

I have read here on Lymenet that joint pain is a symptom of Bart, so the question is how is a 3 yr old treated for Bart? What are the meds? I have seen people being treated with Doxy/Rifampin, Bactrim, Quinolones, etc....

Any inputs, experiences would be much appreciated. I hope 2015 is a year of improvement for everybody!

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi yanivnaced, when we started out on our Lyme journey the first thing we did, before pharmaceutical treatment, was to do a DetoxiGenomic test to detect what detox pathways might be mutated.

A mouth swab collects the sample and it is sent off, through Fedex, in bio-hazard packaging provided in the kit. All instructions are included. Easy.

We now know what drugs that one has to take care with/avoid. The test provides one part of the information puzzle that could be very helpful.

There were even some herbs on the list. I was surprised to see Goldenseal on the list. Good to know as berberine is a constituent in Goldenseal and maybe we want to be careful with berberine.

It could be the hydrastine constituent of Goldenseal that is the challenge. I don't know. But, for now, we will choose something else besides Berberine for anti-spirochetal, etc.

Breaking up the post for easier reading for many here -

[ 01-04-2015, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-bart helps me. It doesn't get rid of it 100%, but much better than nothing.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the pain he is experiencing are his hands and feet going numb/ pins and needles hands and feet/ flare of pain there, more like muscle and not joint-

He's 3, by indication his feelings of discomfort there, doesn't speak to specifically joints to me (JMO)

That poor circulation/ feet and hands concentration is, IMO, Bart.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathToSpirochetes
Member # 44862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeathToSpirochetes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't do the quinolone antibiotics. They can cause tendon rupture. There are black box warnings on most of them yet doctors give them out anyway. Look up posts by Judie.

--------------------
Female. Misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia for six years. Started treating Lyme in 2014. IgG positive for mycoplasma and clinically diagnosed with bartonella. Also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Posts: 32 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
surprise - I have always wondered that too.

Is it actual joint pains or is it neuropathy type pain?

At his age he is not able to express exactly the type of pain, all he say is 'hand hurts' or 'foot hurts'.

One thing I can say is that Ibuprofen usually kills his pain. Does that seem to point to joint pain? Not sure if neuropathy responds to NSAIDS (does it?)

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about ibuprofen helping neuropathy. We don't have that here, if we use ibuprofen here it's to reduce inflammation, and for me, headaches.

Neuropathy can also be caused by lack of B-12 getting absorbed/ deficient. Have you tested his MTHFR status? Ferritin?

Just a few thoughts.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement