LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UPDATED: Has anyone ever kicked their IC or Prostatitis symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UPDATED: Has anyone ever kicked their IC or Prostatitis symptoms?
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks:

I'm 40 and male. Been treating lyme & co for 5 years, but have been in a pretty good place the last 3+. Just on herbs and life has returned to normal.

In APril, while taking drops to target brucella and other gram negative bugs, I developed bladder pressure and suprapubic pain. There was a mild feeling of needing to urinate constantly.

It came and went. Cranberry juice helped. Then it didn't. Then I started to get Perineal pain and I thought about prostatitis.

April - June it was mild, but July / August is is worse.

I've been reading chronic prostatitis boards and IC boards and it seems like this is a nightmare.

Has anyone else here been able to get their IC like (or prostate like) symptoms to go away? If so how? Lyme Blogger (Lyme MD) mentions it a few times and says Macrolides are helpful.

Thanks,
Bcb

[ 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: bcb1200 ]

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOrry to post again. I should mention that I am FREAKING out.

I've been doing so well the last 3-4 years. Live is more or less "back to normal". I work, I live, I have a wonderful family, I am LIVING.

Now these bladder/prostate symptoms start which I've never had until know. I know it can be lyme or bart or brucellosis. But it is NEW. In 5 years, I've never had something NEW pop up. I've only had reocurrences of "Old".

Reading the IC and Prostatitis boards have freaked me out. These are both "wastebasket" disgnoses where folks go on to have symptoms and feel horrible for YEARS with no resolution. I can't go back to that place. I've come too far.

I'm in a really bad place. Freaking out. I worry I'll need to spend crazy amounts of time/money trying to get this taken care of, and my work and family live will suffer.

Sorry...just really crappy symptoms.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bcb1200:

Then I started to get Perineal pain and I thought about prostatitis.
Has anyone else here been able to get their IC like (or prostate like) symptoms to go away?

Look into PEMF, pulsed electromagnetic field therapy.
This is something you can try yourself which is simple, not invasive, and does not cause side effects.

BPH, Benign prostatic hypertrophy, or enlargement, is common as men get older.
Infection and inflammation causes the prostate to swell, which causes pain and may reduce urine flow, as the urethra (urine tube) passes through the center of the prostate as it drains urine from the bladder.

It's possible to use PEMF on the prostate area and reduce the inflammation, which reduces pain and improves function.

Electromagnetic pulses adjust the electrical charges on the cells, which improves circulation.
Adequate oxygen and nutrients can pass through cell walls so that the cells can function normally and heal.

Inflammation and swelling go down and pain stops.

This link explains how PEMF helps prostate problems.
New studies show improvement with PEMFs
http://drpawluk.com/updates/prostate-hyperplasia-enlargement-bph/

You would have to hunt around to find a physical therapy department that uses PEMF, and a doctor to prescribe it for you.
The machines are pretty expensive, so they need to charge per use.

The SOTA Magnetic Pulser is not as strong as the professional models, but is also much less expensive.
You just need to use it for a longer period of time.
(I think they designed it this way so that the FDA would approve it.)

Despite this, it is a fantastically helpful tool.

I bought mine to treat a very painful knee, with excellent results.
Later, I found that it relieved muscle spasms, and I used it on my back and my neck, and on esophageal spasms too.

It relieved toothache, swollen glands in the throat, nausea, kidney pain, inflamed sacroiliac joints.
The magnetic energy goes several inches into the body, so if you place the machine over the anal area you'll reach the prostate gland.

Although I've recommended this therapy for many years, people don't want to try it because of the expense of the machine.
http://www.sota.com/magnetic-pulser.html

The professional models cause at least ten times as much.
When I looked into it, I decided that I wasn't interested in going to physical therapy every day for weeks, as I have chronic fatigue.
It was so much easier to buy my own and use it whenever I could fit it in.

Heal Yourself At Home
DIY Solutions for your health
http://healyourselfathome.com/HOW/THERAPIES/SOTA/magnetic_pulser.aspx

How to use PEMF:
http://healyourselfathome.com/HOW/THERAPIES/SOTA/magnetic_pulser_how_to_use.aspx

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Google and then search PubMed for: Prostatitis "Stinging Nettle root"

Nettle leaf is often used for other purposes but the ROOT is what you'd be looking to consider.

A naturopathic doctor would be a good move, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine got WAY better after treatment for Lyme and babesia.

When I got hives last year, I had bad symptoms of IC again... diet helped me get back on track. Do listen to what they say on the IC boards about diet.

And consider this as well .. as long as I eat low histamine foods, I'm fine.

This may help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/131397/2#000134

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-Mannose is very helpful for bladder symptoms as it flushes out the bladder helping to keep inflammation down. Saw Palmetto is excellent for prostate health as are pumpkin seed oil capsules.

Bladder symptoms are typically Bartonella.

Have you been to a urologist to get a workup and rule other things out though? I image your llmd has recommended this…. Seems you would be having other symptoms too.

Feel better!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take D-Mannose twice a day. Life-saver. I never had bart.

Hubby takes saw palmetto with pygeum... another life-saver.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Berberine really helped so much to wave goodbye to IC for me:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bcb1200,
The info I presented was intended to show you that there is hope you can get your body to work better again.

The suggestions that others have given you for Berberine, D-Mannose, Saw Palmetto, pumpkin seed oil capsules, and Stinging Nettle root should also be helpful.

Start these supplements one at a time and wait to see if you have any improvement before trying another one.
Ask questions if you want recommendations for brands.

You can use the search function here at LymeNet to find other posts about them.
Another way to find out how these have helped other people is to look them up at iHerb.com and read the reviews.

The reason I recommend PEMF so strongly is because it's so effective.
I wish I could just send a machine to every person with pain.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into oxalates as a possible reason?

They have a Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TryingLowOxalates/

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Oxalates could indeed affect the bladder pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Cancer & Doxy Studies. The doxy has helped those with Lyme and prostate problems, and a number of different types of cancer, including prostate cancer.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/lyme

[group hug]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Hi folks:

Thanks for the input. I'm feeling much better and while I still have some mild discomfort, I've actually had several days this week when I felt more or less symptom free (from an IC/Prostate perspective.)

I think last week I was flaring from the Doxy which got my mind into a state where I felt there was no hope in the future, and that I was going to be one of those guys who suffered from prostatitis symptoms for years.

I've since read many men with Lyme who have had similar symptoms resolve with proper treatment of Lyme/Bart, etc.

So far things appear to be on the upswing. Knock on wood. Thanks to Cipro, Doxy, and stretching my back / pelvis.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim if severe Life Extension Ultra Prostate
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ic has gotten a lot better. It used to be awful. Now symptoms have just migrated to other parts of my body. Interesting implant, pelvic therapy- you must, must, must, do it consistently and it takes several months for you to see the results of therapy work, and drinking lots of water and only water.
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by me:
and drinking lots of water and only water.

-
Important point. That is one thing I follow.

Glad you're feeling better, bcb!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Thanks all. I'm allergic to Bactrim so that drug is out for me.

I have only been drinking water (BORING), but again I have noticed improvement. While I enjoy wine, I can live without alcohol. But I have a hard time living without coffee. YUM.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BPH/prostate cancer...look at

"Good news for men concerned about prostate cancer: resveratrol is a supplement that blocks it at every stage, from beginning to end."

GSTP1 genotype might be involved (or simply less of that enzyme) or others (MTHFR)

MTHFR - C667T prostate cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19223177

But also:

GSTP1 detoxification pathway occurs in a gender-dependent manner and could therefore add to clinical severity in *male* MS patients.

Re: MTHFR and hypomethylation -> high homocysteine...

Hypomethylation affects catecholamine neurotransmitters, myelin, and protein synthesis.

The myelin sheath is the "insulation" around our nerves that is impacted in MS.

There are nutritional work arounds to the above.

See post re: MTHFR with ideas.

Link to picture explaining homocysteine:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_circulatory/homocysteine_reduction_01.htm

Picture of the methylation pathways. Make figure 2 (picture) bigger.

Cut, paste and drop it into a MS word file. Print it out. Study it. The most important vitamins involved are B9 (folic acid), B6, and B12 and the mineral zinc. There are several enzymes involved that could, genetically, be problematic...esp. CBS. Important...genetically too, we have to be able to PROCESS the vitamins to their useful forms (hence P5P instead of B6, for example).

We MAKE homocysteine and it converts back to methionine AND is reduced. Ideally both pathways work.

Remetylation AND transsulfuration pathways lower homocysteine. Transsulfuration -> cysteine -> taurine (lowers cholesterol) + GSH (glutathione) + sulfate.

Tincup...heads up re: tetracycline effectiveness if iron overload is a problem (genetic).

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

VERY boring to drink only water!! You are so right!!

I used to enjoy tea .. but now I can't even do that. (for other reasons than the IC)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RESVERATROL !

Impact on CYP1A1 (triggered by OspA triggering TLR2) via Wikipedia:

"Resveratrol interferes with all three stages of carcinogenesis—initiation, promotion and progression.

Experiments in cell cultures of varied types and isolated subcellular systems in vitro imply many mechanisms in the pharmacological activity of resveratrol.

These mechanisms include modulation of the transcription factor NF-κB,[53]

***inhibition of the cytochrome P450 isoenzyme CYP1A1[54] ***

(although this may not be relevant to the CYP1A1-mediated bioactivation of the procarcinogen benzo(a)pyrene),

[55] alterations in androgenic[56] actions, and expression and activity of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes.

"agonists of the toll-like receptor 2 =

OspA Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease)"

Agonist is a "helper".

"TLR2 regulates the expression of CYP1A1..."

OspA helps TLR2 which increases CYP1A1 which can lead to cancer.

Reservatrol alone - dosage/timing? OR with (add) Nano-curcumin (smaller i.e., "nano", to increase bioavailability)?

Genetic differences in CPY1A1 and GST (esp. GST1)might alter the response to Bb (as well as MTHFR genetypes).

***Careful if anemic *** - looks like Reservatrol and/or curcumin may lower iron levels if taken for many days.

Keep in mind, the vaccine (that didn't work) was an antigen (protein) similar to OspA so we would make antibodies to it. Alone, it wasn't enough.

[ 08-17-2015, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

UPDATE:

Met with my LLMD a few days back. I'm feeling much better these last few days (knock on wood. I've been on CIPRO and Doxy for about 3 weeks now and have seem big improvement.

LLMD believes the flare in my pelvis was due to some sort of intracellular bug. Brucella, CPN, Bartonella, other. Likely Brucella as it is famous for attacking prostate / testicles / SI joint and all of my symptoms came out while I was ramping up on MC-CH from Beyond Balance. It is a new herbal regimen that is supposed to target Brucella and CPN.

The fact that I've improved while on Cipro/Doxy helps to reinforce this.

LLMD things this will clear. He has had patients with similar before and they almost always improve and complaints of pelvic issues stop.

We talked a bit about Interstitial Cystitis. LLMD also thinks this is an intracellular bug of some sort that is in tissue, not floating in the bladder. He has contacts that are experienced in IC, one doc who does direct injections of antibiotics into the bladder tissue with "life altering" results.

Wow.

Fingers crossed I continue to improve. This was scary.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Very good news!!

"Interstitial" does indeed translate to "intracellular."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

IMPORTANT INFO ON OXALATES and the above symptoms:

http://alwayswellwithin.com/2010/04/27/high-oxalate-foods-can-trigger-pain-and-inflammation/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Marnie
Member # 773

The oral combination of Resveratrol and Curcumin produces by far the most rapid and dramatic drops in PSA,

providing a measure that is not only useful for Prostate Cancer prevention, but for its benefit for MPB as well, via its effects on inflammation and Androgen receptor activity.

http://tinyurl.com/o6hrtdt

Curcumin is not very "bioavailable". Nano Curcumin (smaller particles) is good OR black pepper extract makes curcumin more bioavailable.

Piperidine in black pepper is the key. It is also, it appears, an H1 antagonist.

Too bad Tritec (Rantinidine bismuth citrate) is no longer available to deal with Bb in the endothelial cells lining the GI system.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement