LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I -refuse- to take antibiotics for Strep, and I want to know what you have to say

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I -refuse- to take antibiotics for Strep, and I want to know what you have to say
rowenofpts
Member # 45829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowenofpts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Background: I have Lyme and Candida.

Just three days ago, I contracted Strep throat. I assume, by how health conscious all of you are (this is the most educated Lyme forum on the net), that you are familiar with how devastating antibiotics are to your body. For example, antibiotics were the cause of my candida overgrowth.

Now, I have been on a VERY strict diet of only quality meat, vegetables, and good fat, and was doing VERY good with it without any cheating for almost a year in order to reduce the Candida. Also, I have been on a near perfect regimen of expensive herbs to also reduce the yeast/fungus. With this, I have actually started to see the light, and notice a BIG reduction of symptoms. But, if I take antibiotics again, I'm afraid I'll have to start all over, and this kills me. I've come so far =(

I know you can treat strep naturally. I know that strep even goes away on its own. But is it different in people like us? With compromised immune systems?

Quoted from website:
"Conventional doctors today do a great job of scaring people out of their minds about the possibility of rheumatic fever/heart damage from allowing the body to deal with a strep throat infection unmedicated. However, the truth is, the risk of complications from strep throat is very small for healthy people who have no issues with their immune system."

So what about us? Do I not have the luxury of toughing it out? Its the argument of possible rheumatic fever/heart damage vs. guaranteed more Candida overgrowth.

Help please.

Posts: 13 | From danville, ca | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some strains of strep can kill people. This is important to know. That's how Muppet creator, Jim Henson died. He did not seek treatment. Sigh.

Do you know what strain you have? That might matter?

Do you have a good naturopathic doctor who has proper alternative.

Probiotics, Allicin &/ or Seagate brand of Olive Leaf Extract - not to replace but to go along with antibiotics can help avoid candida.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a tough question, rowen! What does your doctor have to say?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A big part of the problem from infections is the toxicity that can mount fast.

Be sure to avoid ibuprofen (for that constricts blood vessels and can cause toxic build up -- and decrease liver function).

Also avoid acetaminophen as that blocks glutathione, not only in the liver but in every cell of the body. And it's glutathione that is the key helper here to move out the toxicity from infection from the cells, and on through the liver and kidneys.

What ever liver support works for you, be sure to be on it. Milk Thistle is the most common one and certainly does help with increasing GLUTATHIONE.

As it's too last to go out (but do not hesitate to go ER if you feel the need), do you have a strong herbal antimicrobial at home? If you have only some organic garlic cloves, you might take one in the middle of a good snack.

Also some good olive oil with that.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about natural treatments but I had strep two years in a row. Took forever for the first case to resolve, even though I was on abx for lyme. Didn't know what it was, but wised up second time around and went to doc. Got Pen VK prescribed, which knocked it out. Glad I didn't miss treatment this time. Having heard so often that lyme antibiotics would put us in danger of untreatable infection of a different kind, was surprised that didn't happen.

So, you decide, but if it were me, I would treat it. I didn't tell the strep doc about lyme or abx. She prescribed one I had not been on before. Maybe that helped, but it was not one that is used with lyme.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to take antibiotics for strep. It can get in your blood and kill you, or it can destroy your kidneys, and then kill you.

I had it in my kidneys. It is not fun.

Take your probiotics, your florastor, whatever you need for your stomach.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can lead to Rheumatic fever, sepsis, amputation. I would choose antibiotics.
Posts: 115 | From US | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully, it would not take long to knock it out?

Keep up proper treatment and diet to battle yeast and you should be fine.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a misconception that lyme means you have a low immune system or lyme triggers a low immune system.

While that may be true in some people, a lot of people get lyme & it confuses your immune system. So strengthening immunity can make people's symptoms worse.

I would try & identify which category you're in & go from there. If you are always getting colds or colds/flus last for months, maybe antibiotics might be needed. If you tend to beat them without help, I wouldn't take them.

Possibly herbals maybe like GSE & high dose Vit C.....Whatever you do, detox & liver support is priority number one.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, it is a little odd as an adult, you caught strep throat.

You could always get the antibiotic prescription filled (hope it is not amoxicillin, which has become resistant to many strep strains)

and have it ready in case you go downhill.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I got strep throat many times as an adult, in my 20's, 30's and 40's. Don't see how age would matter if one is exposed and it takes hold.
-

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would treat for the strep with antibiotics now.

Strep can be very tough to eradicate, even with abx. Undertreated strep can cause all sorts of issues. Google strep and PANDAS, for example.

It seems to me that if you wait and your body can't knock out the strep on its own, then your health will deteriorate overall and you will need more antibiotics to get rid of it.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strep can activate long-term and sometimes lifelong illnesses that are devastating. Please don't mess around with this. In my opinion, you need antibiotics. Can you ask your doctor to give you an extended dose of ketaconazole or nystatin (oral form)? That really helped my yeast.
Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Stephen Buhner's book, "Herbal Antibiotics," he says "Direct contact with the tissue at the back of the throat with a tincture of Echinacea liberally mixed with saliva is a certain remedy for strep...healing generally occurs within 24 hours." P.27. You can get it at a local herb shop or on Amazon.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More information on the above: The copyright is from 1999.. I think Stephen Buhner might have a later "Herbal Antibiotics" out. Your local Library might have a copy if you don't already have a copy. His remedy might be worth a try.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

What happened to "rowen?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty rare (unless chronic Lyme, low level immune system panels) to get strep as an adult.

Of course, I agree treat w/ antibiotics/ do not mess around/ play with strep.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Jim Henson - Creator of "The Muppets"

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/17/arts/an-aggressive-infection-abrupt-and-overwhelming.html

The New York Times - May 17, 1990

An Aggressive Infection, Abrupt and Overwhelming

- The bacterial infection that killed Jim Henson was an especially aggressive type of pneumonia known as streptococcus pneumonia group A. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Important to for us all to know, as we never know just when - when in the time of an hour or two - this detail could save a life:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/families-warn-of-sudden-deadly-threat-of-sepsis/

Families warn of sudden, deadly threat of SEPSIS

By Ashley Welch - CBS News - Oct. 5, 2015

Excerpts:

. . . Sepsis is the body's overwhelming and life-threatening response to an infection which can lead to tissue damage, organ failure and death. It can happen to anyone with ANY TYPE OF INFECTION. Though most cases occur while patients are in the hospital, people can also acquire it in the community. . . .

. . . Symptoms of sepsis include the presence of an infection, as well of as at least two of the following symptoms: an elevated or lowered body temperature, a fast heart rate, a fast breathing rate and low blood pressure.

If caught early, sepsis is treatable with fluids and antibiotics. But it progresses quickly and if not treated, a patient's condition can deteriorate into severe sepsis, with an abrupt change in mental status, significantly decreased urine output, abdominal pain and difficulty breathing.

Septic shock occurs when someone has all of these symptoms plus extremely low blood pressure that doesn't respond to fluid replacement. . . .

. . . Once a patient has been identified as septic, "the gold standard to get the appropriate antibiotics to patients is one hour," Moore told CBS News.

But in most hospitals, "processes of care are just not in place to rapidly give needed treatment. We know that once you become septic, every hour delay that the appropriate antibiotics aren't given, the risk of morality increases."

Aiello said his daughter Emily had a 103-degree fever and rapid heart and breathing rates. "These are classic symptoms of sepsis, but they [the doctors] waited over 14 hours to take blood to test if she had an infection.

After that, it took another eight hours for the results to come back and another two hours to administer the antibiotics. A few hours later, she had coded. It was the most tragic day of my and my wife's life." . . .

[Full article at link above.]

I really wish the article above had gotten into the fact that GLUTATHIONE IVs may save lives for those experiencing sepsis. Of course, it's more complex than just that but the more we know now, the better.

And that MAGNESIUM can also be a valuable aid.
-

[ 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk with any family who has kids with PANDAS and I think you would change your mind about spreading Strep around unnecessarily

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was treated herbally for chronic strep and after I felt tons better. never had a sore throat since.

I used to get a sore throat all the time before for years and they always put me on abx and it would go away but then I would get it over and over.

maybe I wasn't on them long enough? or not the right abx? but the herbs did it for me - at least they seem to have worked. it was a huge mix of herbs. PM me if you want the info

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree. I don't think you have a choice but to take the antibiotics at this point. I've been there done that. Still fighting yeast since 2010 so I do understand but you can't risk your life over it.
Posts: 96 | From Missouri | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got strep as an adult. was sooo sick. couldnot swallow. ended up with pneumonia in hospital.

I would not mess with it. better tobe safe than sorry.

not all abx are bad.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd try Cryptolepis ...

http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/herbs/persistent-strep-infection/

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oil of oregano also has a good record against some strains of strep. If you used it alongside abx, it may help to keep candida levels down.

My GP also agreed to give me some Diflucan when I first went on Doxycycline for Lyme.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my Strep problems usually go away EASILY with Sanukehl Strep, which is homeopathic.

I sometimes need some sort of penicylin homeopathic together, but usually, a simple bottle of Sanukehl Strep from Sanum solves any Strep infection.

This product is widely used here in Europe (Germany and Switzelarnd) and has been in the market for so many years.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rowen,

How are you doing? Hope better.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement