LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » when you have a ct scan do they give you a toxic substance to ingest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: when you have a ct scan do they give you a toxic substance to ingest?
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on what they're scanning.

Sometimes you have to drink stuff if you're having a ct of the digestive tract. Not sure if it's toxic or not.

If they're looking at blood vessels they sometimes inject you with iodine.

Sometimes they don't need to give you anything.

I've had them all three ways.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think only if it's for a CT of the gut.

They often use "contrast" and that is by IV. Many problems with contrast. Worse than the IV's given for MRI's.

Hope you can bypass that!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refused the IV contrast dye and also drinking anything. Gadolinium dye(sp?) can be very harmful as Lymetoo suggests. I had an abdominal ct scan and they managed to see everything they needed.

Even picked up brain lesions when they did my MRI. They will try and talk you into it. Personaly I would never take the chance.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gadolinium is used in MRIs, iodine is used in CT scans.

Interesting note: I've had several iodine IVs over the past year for CT scans, and each time I had one I could feel the iodine hitting the areas of inflammation in my body. It makes them burn worse, then they feel cool afterwards.

I also began noticing that I felt mildly better altogether after each iodine infusion. After this happening several times I began researching and found that iodine has antibacterial properties.

I've researched using iodine as a treatment for these infections and it may be something I end up trying. Iodine can be damaging though, as Lymetoo suggested, so if I do it I'll have to be careful.

Might be too much info, but I felt compelled to share!

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a pet scan of my brain and they injected a type of radioactive glucose to do the test. I felt better that day and night! I wondered if the stuff they injected me with killed off a bunch of pathogens or cleared the debris out of there.

I used EDTA suppositories and lots of water to detox. Now am back to miserable symptoms....
šŸ˜”

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my sister flatlined on them. she was allergic to the dye. almost died. they to use paddles and all.

mom said her face was so swollen she looked like a pumpkin. and she was orange too.

seems everything is toxic. I hate that barium stuff but now they have flavored drinks. my bladder just can't hold that much.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i survives it! it was iodine they gave me.. she said if i dont get sick from table salt i will be ok that was a lot of worry for nothing i also take iodine pill every morning for thyroid.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also lie a lot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Really tute? About that?

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What was the form & the dose of iodine?

That makes a difference. And the method of getting it into your body can also make a difference in how your body handles it.

There is likely some good site that goes over all that regarding your test / delivery method / kind of iodine / dose. You might start with researching the writing of the author of this book -- then go to Amazon and see if you can look inside the book to the table of contents or index.

http://www.drbrownstein.com/Iodine-Why-You-Need-It-p/iodine.htm

ā€œIodine: Why You Need It, Why You Canā€™t Live Without Itā€

- by David Brownstein, MD
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Then find experts in Thyroid and see what they would say about the dose / form / delivery method you received.

Of course, if there are any red flags in any of that detail, you'd hope to also find detail on what you can do now to clear any excess from your body but also offer support to thyroid as too much can be harmful to thyroid.

Don't jump to conclusions. Just get the facts.

Likely this will all work out it's just that it's good to know now if there is something you should be doing.

Too much can also cause a jittery feeling in your body, overstimulation. So, if you have that, be sure to counter with calming action.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I feel certain it is NOT just iodine.

When I've had heart scans (the nuclear medicine type), they try to tell me it has as much radiation as sunshine. Right. Sure... and just as safe too.

I googled a bit and they refer to it as "iodine BASED" contrast.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-contrast

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeļæ½ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement