LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » OK, I'm stuck with minocycline

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OK, I'm stuck with minocycline
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This drug is making me completely stupid. I think it's helping with the nerve sensations ( a little) but not only have I become stupid I am also just filling up with a bone-whistling, soul crushing depression.

I HATE it.

I was doing ok at 50mgs a day and sortofok at 100mgs a day but I don't know if I can handle this without, seriously, becoming a vegetable.

I was working out today how long I can be on it without a break without, like, having to form a sentence or pay a bill or something.

Am I going to break through this if I keep going?

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in treatment, my Dr's mantra was "The turtle wins the race." You cannot go faster than your body will allow or you will lose ground in the long run.

I think I could only handle 100mg a day and I don't think I lasted more than a month on it. I had to move on to another drug.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo. I haven't been able to swallow another dose since Friday morning.

I'm not concerned about getting better *fast*. Obviously that isn't going to be possible. I'm just afraid of "undertreating" and getting nowhere.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plexus62
Member # 47326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plexus62   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently titrating up on mino. I hate it too but hope I can tolerate it this time around. Have to go slow. For me, it's the only one I can take that will pass the BBB right now due to other meds that conflict.

Best of luck.

--------------------
Jgasior
www.shopmyplexus.com/jgasior

Posts: 10 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Good luck plexus. I felt human when I woke up today.

I think my plan is going to be 50 mgs at night for now.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Allicin passes the BBB. If I recall correctly and I'm nearly certain that I did read that in the book here. I also did exceptionally well when able to manage (budget) this approach:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125791

Zhang Protocol
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I have some Allimax here. I've tried it at low doses and had pretty much no response. Then again Zhang is an absolute true believer in it;but the dosages are HIGH for allicin. It would be worth trying again.

All these protocols get so confusing sometimes.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Zhang's Hepapro Allicin formula (actually allitridi) is far better, in my experience with both brands.

Not at all the same - at least not for me. I got no effect from Allimax.

http://www.zhangclinicnyc.com/ZCprotocols/formulas/Allicin.htm

Hepapro Allicin / Allitridi [passwords: clinic . . . and then "clinic" again]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Berberine and also Andrographis might (each?) pass the BBB. I can't look into that now but am pretty sure I read that (I'm slipping when I use "pretty sure" but you can read up on it).

With Berberine, though, the dose would need to be close to every six hours to achieve high enough (of course, never set an alarm to wake up to take it). There is one article, likely further down that mentions this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119089?#000000

ANDROGRAPHIS paniculata - LINKS SET
-

nyclymedout
Member # 45977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyclymedout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does Allicin and Berberine treat specifically and what forms? I was really hopeful for Berberine but I'm Zithromax and saw this:

Berberine is an inducer of CYP3A which would cause drugs that are processed by that liver enzyme to build up and potentially cause toxic effects particularly to the heart.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25976224

Posts: 85 | From United States | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyclymedout
Member # 45977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyclymedout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More on Berberine and Zithro:

In terms of interactions, the most noteworthy is the potential interaction with macrolide antibiotics like azithromycin (Zithromax) and clarithromycin (Biaxin). The interaction between the two has the possibility of causing cardiotoxicity. Berberine also inhibits enzymes CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 which has the potential to affect how many other drugs are metabolized by the body.[35] For this reason, it is very important to discuss berberine supplementation with a healthcare professional to ensure no dangerous interactions will take place.

http://www.nootropix.com/berberine-extraordinary-compound/

Posts: 85 | From United States | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

It's true--everyone has to be on the lookout for drug/herbal interactions. The only thing I wouldn't say that about are the buhner herbs since he's made sure that you can take abx with his stuff.

Berberine does sound extremely promising though if it isn't contraindicated.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mettlin crosses the bbb... have hopes for Andrographis. ..

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first began at LymeNet, I read all that Dr. Zhang had about Lyme on his site.
I decided to do his protocol, but substituted Coptis for Allicin, as he suggested.
I had pretty good results, but stopped after three months.

Years later I investigated Berberine, and tried that.
I had good results with Berberine, and then realized that the active ingredient in Coptis is Berberine!

I started slowly, to make sure it was not going to interact with my prescription meds.
It reduced headache, joint pain, body pain, indigestion, stress incontinence.

I was taking two capsules daily for about five months, then stopped for a month.
Symptoms began to return, and when I woke up aspirating stomach contents, I decided to restart Berberine.
I'm presently taking one capsule daily.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

That's interesting.

It seems like the longer time goes on my protocol is getting almost fully herbal. This has something to do with lack of guidance from this LLMD but also I just feel bad enough. It doesn't seem like the herxes ever end with abx whereas with herbals I feel like I'm getting nutrition from them.

And sort of hitting things that are unknown problems the herbs seem to handle.

I should probably be looking for an LLND.

I've aspirated stomach contents before. I think it was around January last year, in the "something is really wrong here"phase.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement