LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » intolerance to cayenne pepper??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: intolerance to cayenne pepper??
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for packypacky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each time I ate something with cayenne pepper in it, I got brain fog, anxiety, palpitation, head pressure, eye pressure and something like stiff neck.

I don't understand it. I thought the cayenne pepper powder might be old and moldy, so I threw it away and bought new one. Same reaction.

I'm wondering is it the mold, or something else? are all powdered spice moldy by nature?Why it feels like lyme/bartonella flareup?

Does anyone have same reaction to cayenne pepper?

Posts: 101 | From nowhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a nerve stimulation problem... my ears close up when I eat hot things...

I doubt it is mold or a flare up...

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I agree with foxy loxy, it's likely due to the fact that it's a very, VERY stimulating substance. That would explain the anxiety, palpitations and then the other reactions could be residual reactions.

Generally, any hot spice is stimulating to the nervous systems and when our nervous systems are already fried, we can't take any more heat -- and our adrenal systems don't do well with the kind of "emergency alarm" that hot spices can set off.

Many with TBD also have irritated lining of the GI tract and that's another thing to consider as well with the mucous membrane irritation of heat packed spices.

If you enjoy foods that are spicy hot, be sure to have a cold cucumber salad to balance that out. Yogurt or a cool oil may help a little but the fire brigade will still be set off in your brain's control room.

The meat of the cucumbers can be very soothing to the mouth, and the body. Also, you will likely do better to have as little of the spicy hot stuff as you need for the flavor.

If you are taking cayenne for medicinal reasons, there are other herbs to consider on the neutral or cooling spectrum.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I can't "do" hot spices but did find a very mild chili powder in the bulk section of an organic market. You might inquire to those who know the spices in such a place to find one that is easier for you if you enjoy the flavor in foods. Still, a little goes a long way.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Do be certain that any spices you get are from reputable and "clean" sources. Not all are.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Google: hot spices . . . then: cooling spices (or they may be more in the herb category)
-

[ 05-17-2016, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

NJFitnessGuy
Member # 30886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NJFitnessGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love any and all hot peppers when I`m in the middle of eating them, but they constantly wipe me completely out, similar to the way the heat and sun do. I have no tolerance for them at all.
Posts: 85 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
packypacky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for packypacky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, that makes sense. I'd better avoid eating it altogether. It was really uncomfortable, feels like typical lyme/coinf symptoms to me.

And yes, when I was in the middle of eating it, I felt quite good, about half an hour later, I was knocked down with feeling of congested mucous in my head and sinuses. [Frown]

Raw garlic has similar effect on my head, but no mucous.

I think it's related to leaky gut.

Posts: 101 | From nowhere | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, cayenne peppers are also a member of the nightshade family, which can be pro-inflammatory...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cayenne pepper is an effective clot buster. It is known that it thins the blood and likely also breaks up biofilm.

I kept a bottle of capsules around in case my father in law were to have a heart attack when he was at our house.

It does not surprise me that it would produce a reaction just for that reason alone. It could be taking away the protection of the infections. It might not be an allergy, it may be a herx.

When I started using MSM my hands broke out in little pus filled blisters. Ok, I stop taking it and the blisters go away. I start again and they come back, but less than before.

I decide if it's an allergy, it should get progressively worse as I keep taking it. It does not get worse. Gradually the blisters go away and now I only occasionally will see one.

My conclusion is that the detoxifying effect of the MSM is releasing chemimicals my skin has been exposed to over the years. This is supported by the fact my dominant right hand had more blisters than the left.

A reaction can be good or bad, but don't assume either especially for a food that is not known to be allergenic or toxic.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also possible to become allergic to capsaicin, the compound found in all of the pepper family. This happened to my old roommate -- she got incredibly sick every time she ate peppers, or even came into contact with them (she couldn't use the icy/hot patches, etc.) She was lyme positive too.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inused to love chili...its part of the culture here ...and ya i think it is leaky gut ...was told giardia is causing it ...most have it but other flora keep it in check...persons with lyme dont

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's high in salicylates. You have all the symptoms of sals sensitivity.

Hmmm... the plot thickens:

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/support-factsheets/capsaicin-for-management-of-salicylate-intolerance-an-open-trial

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2120

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by packypacky:

Each time I ate something with cayenne pepper in it, I got brain fog, anxiety, palpitation, head pressure, eye pressure and something like stiff neck.

-
Those are my exact salicylate sensitivity symptoms.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cayenne is a vasodilator, meaning blood vessel walls expand. This could cause herxes as blood penetrates areas where Bb and other microbes are hiding.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement