LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Allrighty. Sleep is a problem.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Allrighty. Sleep is a problem.
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been awake for 26 hours.

I tried, and then i tried again, and then I tried again. What is gong to happen is that I am eventually going to pass out and sleep sixteen hours to make up for the sleep I missed. I will be comatose and unwakeable.

I need pharmaceutical help, I think, and not benzos because I have them and they don't work. In fact I tried to take an ativan two hours ago and it did not work.

This is getting bad. It worries me because I know it's really bad for me. It makes me feel like I'm sicker than I actually feel.

Ugh. Can insomnia be a herx?

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleogal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have really horrid sleep problems during (I think) Babesia herxes.

My first herx ever (once I knew I had Lyme and co) happened on the first day of a new med (primaquine) and (coincidentally) a full moon - I was up all night with migraine, severe bone pain, sweats, and I just started crying, even though I knew it would make me feel worse. Turns out the emotional stuff is also Babesia for me.

I don't think I slept that night, but later herxes I can usually get a couple of hours of sleep (usually between 12-2 or 3am).

I haven't solved my sleep issues overall, but they are generally a bit better when I'm not herxing. Good luck to you.

Posts: 243 | From Southern Arizona | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Paleogal.

I think it is some kind of herx thing.

Five hours, then I had to wake up to take meds. Now I'm awake again. So disorienting. I haven't felt much in the way of neuropsych symptoms since the start of all this but the utter lack of days and nights makes me feel crazy.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya new meds keeping me awake.....using phenibut, melatonin ,holy,basil,

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insomnia can also be present without a herx. I go through it, and I am not herxing.

Sometimes I just stop struggling with it and stay up all nite and go to sleep the next nite. I drink coffee during the tired day.

My opinion is that it is part of the Lyme experience, that something is throwing off our sleep cycle.

I know that melatonin is involved in inducing sleep, so maybe our melatonin gets thrown off? If anyone knows the biochemistry of how Lyme throws off the sleep cycle, please let us know -

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I think I need phenibut. Where are you getting yours, blue?
SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jordana, I'm so sorry that's happening. Do you work, or are you maybe on disability? I'm just wondering if you have the opportunity to sleep during the day if you need to.

My sleep has been messed up for years, although I'm less irritated by it since I've been on disability and can sleep whenever my body and my migraines decide to let me.

Lately I tend to be able to sleep for only 2-4 hours at time, I'm awake for a couple of hours, then back to sleep for another 2-4 hours. That particular pattern does irk me. I seem to have absolutely no patience with lying in bed awake, so if it takes longer than 5 minutes or so to get to sleep, I'm back up and messing around until I feel tired enough to try it again. It's really frustrating and bothers me much more than not sleeping at all.

I just googled phenibut -- I would love it if that would work, and I'll try anything at the moment. I'm joining Jordana in waiting anxiously to find out where you get yours, bluelyme. Does the holy basil help with sleep specifically, or more with stress (which of course would help with sleep)? Where do you get that also, bluelyme?

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleogal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
count me in on waiting on bluelyme for phenibut and holy basil info! [Smile]
Posts: 243 | From Southern Arizona | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The supplement by Xymogen called "SedaLin" helps me relax and calm my brain to be able to sleep better. It is a combo of Magnolia officianalis (bark) and an extract from Ziziphus Spinoza (seed).

It's also known as Seditol by other brands like Source Naturals. (This brand works well too.)

Take the Seditol to relax a couple hours before bed. If needed, take another 2 capsules at bedtime to fall asleep easier.

I have a difficult time falling asleep at what is considered a normal time. My body just rebels! I will fall asleep only to wake every hour and struggle to go back to sleep.

So I don't fight it. I try to relax, avoid doing anything mentally stimulating, and basically just watch TV or a movie after 10pm.

Then by 12:30/ 1am, I feel relaxed enough to go to bed.

Sometimes I just lay down and fall asleep at that point. About half the time I lay ther listening to my sound machine for another 30-45min before falling asleep.

If you don't have a sound machine, I highly recommend you trying one. They can help you relax, fall asleep, and stay asleep! (I use an ocean waves setting.)

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercising during the day (and supposedly late afternoon) can help sleep.

Weightlifting can be good for this. Maybe order some handweights or even a small multi-functional workout machine like a bowflex for you home, and use it.

Or even don't buy anything and do some pushups, situps, planks, static lunges.

(if you are already working out, then nevermind)

And, don't know how sick you are, but definitely get approval from a doctor or you LLMD before starting an exercising program!

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I ordered a bunch of stuff online last night -- melatonin, holy basil, and phenibut from here --

http://www.absorbyourhealth.com/

I have no idea if it's a reputable site or not;I just put it in the search engine and bought it. I always make sure I can use paypal with a new site.

I also decided to set my alarm every day for 9:30. I've been living by my med schedule and getting anxious about missing doses. It worked a little bit; I slept a normal amount, sort of, and woke up while the sun was still up at least.

paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Sammy - I have the same issue! I can't fall asleep before 12:30 or so. I *can* get a full night's sleep if I fall asleep at 12:30, get up to pee once around 3 or 3:30 (liver detox issues? or parasites? seem to wake me up regularly), but then I can sleep until 7, rouse briefly, and fall back asleep until 9am. Then I feel GREAT.

(Difficult with a job that starts at 8:30, so will be talking with my LLMD about this and whether we can incorporate a later work time into my disability plan...I really do feel 200% better (so, like 80% of my "normal" [Wink] if I can sleep at the time my body lets me.

If I try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, like 10pm, I spend the whole night tossing and turning. I really do not get it!

Thanks for the site Jordana - I will try that too! I have taken over our bathroom counter and I've lined up everything I've tried so I can rotate them - I think my body also does well rotating various things? Maybe? Or maybe nothing works and it's my body's/diseases natural cycles that controls sleep...

good luck to everyone.

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone considering phenibut, please thoroughly research it and be extremely careful if trying it. It's know to build tolerance very rapidly and cause withdrawal symptoms much worse than the original situation that it was used to help.
Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow me too. doctor said "what do you expect? you're getting old. you don't need as much sleep."

so I guess getting 1-4 hours a night is ok.

geezzz

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I set my alarm to be up by 9am every morning when I don't have to be up earlier for a doctor appt and such.

I do find that it helps to have a consistent morning wake up, even if I didn't get the ideal full nights sleep. I still feel better that way rather than sleeping until noon.

Also, the sound machine helps me more than meds and supplements. I have an actual device (made for children). I also sometimes use an app (free) that I found called "Sleep Pillow".

I like the sound of ocean waves, it is most relaxing to me. Though others might like different sounds and volumes.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love those. I like the night forest sounds.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insomnia is a very common lyme symptom. My lyme doc told me that lyme affects the sleep center of the brain.

I got so bad when I had lyme that I would fall asleep at maybe 1 a.m., sleep 20 minutes, wake up and later sleep another 20 minutes then up and sleep another 20 minutes and that was it for the rest of the night.

Once I got to my Burrascano-type doctor who cured me, my insomnia was a thing of the past. So, I think that good lyme treatment cures this. I believe that I got rid of it within a month or 2.

Per Burrascano, bartonella also causes insomnia. Here is what is on p. 10 of the list of lyme symptoms:

Insomnia, fractionated sleep,
early awakening

I experienced all 3 of the sleep problems mentioned.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF thanks for that description,that is me exactly.
Sometimes you feel as though you are the only one going through this.

I guess have more work to do,but I am definitely starting to feel better after a tough winter and spring.

Currently using cannabis and good sleep hygene and practicing going to bed early.

I feel like when I get an early start it is much more relaxing then turning in late because when I do that it is more time available to rest ,even if not asleep.

That way I'm not so preoccupied with being sleep deprived and panicked about the lack of zzzz's.

Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry had ruff weekend and port issues..the phenbut was i believe biotics and planitary herbals on holy basil..i think it is bartonella or babs ...i just started alinia and i was told it hits both.. i am havjng trouble sticking with treatment it is full time with overtime ...newborn was easier...need zzzzzs

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement