LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Most helpful supplements?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most helpful supplements?
AJB
Member # 48059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for supplements to support immune function/help daughter maybe feel better. We have only been doing PROBIOTIC (rec's for a good one welcome), and Vitamin D, and a multi. Thinking of adding C and B vitamins and possibly curcumin.

I realize you will not be sharing medical advise...but if anyone has had something that has seemed to make a big difference in their lives/healing please pass along...she hates to take pills, so trying to do the minimum we can.

(breaking the paragraph up for easier reading for many here)

[ 06-18-2016, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 62 | From VA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard curcumin and grape seed. not grapefruit but grape seed.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJB, the Burrascano guidelines may be useful to you - listed under medical questions - locked on top

Dr. Burrascano lists a number of supplements there

also, I would suggest a good herbalist/nutritionist to you

when I got sick, all this was so new to me

now I really enjoy having these professionals in my life

they really know a lot and can tailor supplements to your daughter's age/health/needs/etc.

it was well worth it to me to pay several wonderful people to help me - I wish I had done it sooner in the beginning

LymeNet did help me, too

let's see - I think you may want to look into, for example, mushrooms for immune support, too

make sure you/she can have mushrooms first - any allergies?

I think Cordyceps and Reishi is even in the Burrascano protocol

I also take Lion's Mane for my neurological challenges - I think it has been shown to regenerate nerves in studies

sorry - I don't have all the information handy - just trying to get you started doing your own research - google Lion's Mane and nerves, if interested

I get the mushrooms in powder form from myriad mycology online - they are $50 per lb. but it is less expensive than the capsules and I don't like to swallow all those capsules either

http://myriadmycology.com/

I got myself a mircoscale for about 20.- bucks and when I know how much I want to take and have measured it out every day for a while, I start eye-balling it

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466257246&sr=8-3&keywords=microscale

I have a little, pink Baskin Robins trial spoon - from eons ago - I don't eat there anymore - but the spoon is cute and useful

so after a while I know how full a little spoon I need and I just make my "potions" in the morning in 3 clean water bottles fairly quickly - that was when I was taking everything 4 times a day - and drink one right away out of a glass

I use re-used Kombucha glass bottles with screw tops to make the mixes in

it is a system I have evolved over time and works for me

I asked my herbalist if it was ok to mix the herbs I was taking and she said it was fine

if I did not pre-mix them and take them with me to work and have them ready when I get home at night, I would miss too many doses

since some of the stuff I was taking was bitter, the Inositol powder requirement for me was a blessing - a little inositol in each mix made it easier to drink

phew - that is probably more than you wanted to know

hope some of it is useful

[ 06-18-2016, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Harmony ]

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Renew Life probiotics

they are refrigerated in the grocery store

in a good store there will be a number of good choices in the fridge for you

also, I eat Kimchi, probiotic sauerkraut (do not cook), dill pickles and drink Kombucha and water kefir

I can't have the milk kefir because of the A1 milk they probably use for it - but if you can have that and plain yogurt, that may be good, too

--------------------

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Custom Probiotics ..

My fav is their D-Lactate Free

They also have one called CP-1 that is good.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The supplements you mention are good, my doc also recommmends people take Host Defense capsules, which have a blend of 17 mushrooms in them, for immune support. Mushrooms in general are good for immune support, like maitaki, s-h-i-t-a-k-i, etc.

Note - spell check didn't let me write the name of the 2nd mushroom! [lol]

I recall once that when I did a smoothie with omiboshi plum paste in it, that was also good for the immune system - helped clear up another infection.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zinc is good for the immune system, but not too much (20-40 mg daily). I use zinc glyconate by Metagenics.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8878 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Robin, where do you get the omiboshi plum paste?

--------------------

Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

pure Encapsulations

multi mineral - I got the Mineral 650

is also a good one

it has Zinc as zinc picolinate - 25 mg in six capsules - hm, I am not sure what form of Zinc is best/better - ?

disadvantage: it uses 6 capsules for one serving and suggests to take 3-6 daily with meals

maybe it is better to spread it out for better absorption?

--------------------

AJB
Member # 48059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I think I should talk w/ someone so that we can know how much is appropriate based on her weight and age etc. SO appreciate all the suggestions so I can go in w/ a list!
Posts: 62 | From VA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are already giving her what is needed, the basics. So....

I'd give her some ice cream, with hot fudge if she likes it.

She is young. She has been through the wringer already and REALLY does not want to take more pills, especially when she is feeling so, so bad. And especially if she won't see "instant improvement" for her efforts.

It is a huge waste of money to give her supplements she may not need just because they may help someone else with totally different circumstances.

Supplements can react badly with some people and make recovery more difficult because rarely does anyone suspect the supplements as the cause.

Once she is feeling better may I suggest asking HER what she thinks she might need, if anything? Her body will tell her. Or she can be ART tested.

Treatment shouldn't be like a punishment. And she WILL revolt if she doesn't get better soon, especially after following all the advise she is given.

Just my opinion....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

good point, Tincup

it is different with a child/young person

however, if she is on antibiotics I would really stay away from ice cream and fudge - sorry

maybe some blended frozen fruit, at best, for a summer time "ice cream - like" treat

raspberries have a lot of supportive antioxidants, etc., too - so a supplement in disguise [Wink]

if you can afford a Vitamix blender, I can recommend them - they make great soups and smoothies - healthy ingredients, easy to make, and tasty to eat/drink

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.vaanp.org/

Virginia Association of Naturopathic Physicians
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJB
Member # 48059

Thanks Tincup...good points...that girl has been getting TONS lately...if this nightmare ever ends she is going to wonder why things have changed so! LOL

She is defly overwhelmed trying to take pills, and has never loved being a pill swallower. Did get Vitamin C to support immune system...she felt worse this evening than she did all day, so I am actually wondering if it could be from that.

I know I should limit her sugar more, but she has so few things that she CAN do or enjoy that "treats" are something normal...ugh

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes! Vitamin C makes me really sick, and others I've heard from too, so it is possible.

Has she been tested for MTHFR?

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJB
Member # 48059

no she hasn't be tested for MTHFR, I have to admit I am not yet up on what exactly it gives info about...my sister is a genetic counselor and she commented that it is "controversial"...lol since most things in our lives are these days! Actually I shouldn't say "controversial" I think she said there is a question about what it really is good for/tells? But we didn't discuss what it might be able to tell [Wink]

So Tincup do you cont. to take the Vitamin C thinking that it is helping, or skip it?

Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

watch this video Robin just posted if you "want to know all about it"

[Smile]

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/134255

I have the MTHFR gene defect, but it seems that some people are ok with that and others have problems with their methylation cycle

so the test is not that helpful - a Homocysteine analysis may be more helpful to see if MTHFR is a problem - would your sister agree with that?

I would not think this is your greatest priority now - but I may be wrong

is she on abx? - if yes, I would definitely cut the sugar - sorry, but yeast can be a bear and even deadly

If eating ice cream, I would put probiotics on it!

like 200 Billion - Renew Life has a product where you can get 7 pouches in a box with 200 Billion each - that is a powder, not a pill

personally, I get the caps and just open them - [lol] - I know, I know, it does not make it through your stomach then, but I think probios in the stomach is nature's way, too

you get them on food - think about it

anyway, I get the least expensive number of live critters for the buck and then open a couple of capsules on my food or in my mouth

the powder has a taste to it, but you would not taste it much over ice cream - and you can get it all done in one spoon and enjoy the rest

still - when I was on abx I did not even eat potatoes or bread or white rice - just to be honest and not mislead you

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harmony:
Robin, where do you get the omiboshi plum paste?

From the local health food store, as a bin paste.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AJB
Member # 48059

yes she is taking antibiotics, and I am sure the yeast is a problem. I can not see her eating the powder not in a capsule. She is also supposed to start nystatin, which I have avoided as I am afraid she will herx from that as well.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement