LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Study- Essential Oils Effective Against Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Study- Essential Oils Effective Against Lyme
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUOTE- "Here, we evaluated a panel of essential oils for activities against B. burgdorferi stationary phase cells, and found that not all essential oils used by patients with Lyme disease have the same activity against B. burgdorferi, with oregano, cinnamon bark, and clove bud having among the highest anti-persister activity in vitro."

Link Here
http://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2017/05/17/130898.full.pdf

EDIT TO ADD THIS...

This is a list of the oils that had the best results for treating Lyme disease in the lab (not in humans or animals).

The oil prices and additional information at the link below is from one of three companies the authors mentioned as their source for the products they chose.

More details at the link...

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/treatment/herbal-information/plant-therapy

[ 08-25-2017, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to know more about the oils referred to in the study?

I found this site by Mercola that appeared to be quite helpful.

http://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils.aspx

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, great study, thanks for posting that.

Copy pasting the oils here:

The top 3 oils against Borrelia, OREGANO, CINNAMON bark and CLOVE bud, completely eradicated all viable cells without regrowth in subculture.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating study, thanks.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great!

suggestion - use EO's topically plus DMSO for penetration.

if you have joint pain, apply the oils directly to joint, then rub some DMSO over that. of course sterilize the area first, VERY important.

this really works!

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lapis29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Carvacrol was found to be the most active ingredient of oregano oil showing excellent activity against B. burgdorferi stationary phase cells"

from wikipedia

"Carvacrol is present in the essential oil of Origanum vulgare (oregano), oil of thyme, oil obtained from pepperwort, and wild bergamot. The essential oil of Thyme subspecies contains between 5% and 75% of carvacrol, while Satureja (savory) subspecies have a content between 1% and 45%. Origanum majorana (marjoram) and Dittany of Crete are rich in carvacrol, 50% and 60-80% respectively.[4]"

Posts: 90 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lapis29
Member # 47626

fyi, you can get 95% carvacrol EO on amazon. just search 'carvacrol oil'
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with lapis.

It does not have to be these oils only, there are loads of essential oils with antimicrobial properties and other properties.

If you RUB on joints, places with pain, lymph or tummy area, on your scalp, etc, you may get amazing results.

The oils reach areas that supplements have difficulty to reach, that's another reason that rubbing works so well, I think.

I've been rubbing Olbas oil and other essential oils for many years for all sorts of problems and they are very helpful, really.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Just finished this list for folks. Hope it is helpful.

Essential Oils- Prices, Additional Information & Sources to Check For Potential Side Effects

The recent essential oil study on Lyme disease mentioned a number of oils they used to do their experiments.

This is a list of the oils that had the best results for treating Lyme disease in the lab (not in humans or animals).

The oil prices and additional information is from one of three companies the authors mentioned as their source for the products they chose.

More details at the link below...

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/treatment/herbal-information/plant-therapy

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Thanks to all for the kind words and additional information. Interesting for sure!

Lapis- question please. Does the oregano oil, well, stink?

I do not like oregano in any form and haven't for a long time. Won't even cook with it. No idea why because I use to like it?

Sometimes just the thought of smelling it upsets (actually turns) my stomach!

Any ideas on how to fix that? I've used most of the other oils and still do, but I can't get into the oregano oil.

Probably don't need it with all the others, but it bugs me that this happens. Only thought I can come up with is when I was using it before Lyme it didn't bother me, but after Lyme it would be giving me herxes.

We knew nothing about herxes for years, but maybe my brain was making the connection and made me back away from it because I herx badly with just about anything.

Anyhow, open to any thoughts. Thanks!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement