LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Slippery elm with antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slippery elm with antibiotics?
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I'm trying slippery elm for my gastritis.

I've read it can interfere with antibiotic absorption. Have any of you ever used it along with antibiotics?

Thanks!

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made tea with slippery elm while on ABX. Hmm. I have never heard this.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
1-18-2019 update to post below: In a lecture I just say yesterday on YouTube by Sally Norton, MPH, she says that Slippery Elm is VERY HIGH IN OXALATE

- so that in no longer a recommendation I feel comfortable with since high oxalates can damage the stomach and so much more - though more searching for detail can be done by anyone who might be interested.

There may be mitigating factors with preparation, etc. but I'm not up for checking into that right now. At least go very low in dose until this matter is clarified seems a good idea).

------------
Slippery elm is so very important to help protect and heal the lining of the stomach. It's essential, IMO. And, it's usually best on an empty stomach.

Antibiotics are usually best in the middle of a meal, so that they don't irritate and degrade the stomach lining.

So, my thinking would be to take the powder mixed in water as a gruel, or a capsule, of slippery elm away from the abx.

Drinking a tea would probably be fine other than right alongside the abx as a tea would be less actual bulk of the plant to collect on the stomach wall / intestine walls.

Generally, it's best to ask a naturopathic doctor or others with degrees in herbal medicine. Most MDs will simply say avoid all herbs since they likely don't know all the properties of the individual ones - or how to alter timing so that it can work out.
-

[ 01-18-2019, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There is a chapter on Slippery Elm here, and the author can be contacted, too.

Also look up Marshmallow Root. It's also excellent to help heal the gut.

Though not at all about lyme, this is one of the best reference resources on my bookshelf that has wonderful chapters, many graciously available through their website.

https://www.chrysalisnaturalmedicine.com/tillotson-institute/

The ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tillotson, et al)

He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine; She a doctor of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncturist. The third co-author is a doctor of optometry.

https://www.chrysalisnaturalmedicine.com/clinic/

Chrysalis clinic

https://www.chrysalisnaturalmedicine.com/slippery-elm-inner-bark-ulmus-rubra/

Slippery Elm
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info keebler. That last link lists a dosage for slippery elm, which I was having a hard time finding for some reason, so I'm thankful for that one especially. I take it several hours away from antibiotics.

Dbpei, yeah it supposedly coats the stomach so well that it can reduce absorbtion. I've read that from several sources.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh I was having a little every morning (it is one of several Essaic tea ingredients) while on ABX and had no idea. Glad to know this now.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love slippery elm. I have been advised to take it away from medicines.
Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I think I'm gonna love slippery elm too HW. You don't feel like it's interfering with meds in any way? How much do you usually use? I'm just up to 1/4 tsp once a day so far.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sam,

It's important to take it at least 6 x day - or more, really, if you are trying to heal your stomach lining or intestine lining. It does not take a lot each time but enough to provide coverage. It's also got nutrients that are absorbed into the gut lining.

Better to use a little often than more less often. Be sure, though, not to go too high as too much can create loose bowels.

You might benefit more by adding a very low gz. acid Licorice as the one noted in links below or DGL as well.

Seven Forests Coptis & Evodia can be excellent to help gastritris, too. It's my favorite. Coptis contains berberine which has many good benefits. And coptis is often in anti-lyme formulas.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034980;p=0

LICORICE ROOT EXTRACT - Links set

And be sure to be properly assessed for H PYLORI

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118724;p=0

H. PYLORI - Herbal Treatment & other related LINKS

[ 08-26-2017, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This may not apply to you yet, it's just good to know about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/pain-kept-this-young-woman-from-eating-for-5-years-and-doctors-didnt-know-why/2016/09/26/399211a6-6df9-11e6-9705-23e51a2f424d _story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories-2_medmystery-1235pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Medical Mysteries

Pain kept this young woman from eating for 5 years, and doctors didn’t know why

By Sandra G. Boodman - Medical Reporter
The Washington Post - September 26, 2016

Excerpts:

. . . “We’ve done all these tests, and they’re all normal,” . . . .

1/3 way down:

. . . Extraordinary coincidence [section heading]

. . . A condition called MALS — median arcuate ligament syndrome . . . .

----
A four-minute VIDEO accompanies the article above.

This is an extraordinary account of events. And it resonates for anyone with any medical complexity or anyone who might every be faced with such.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Don't want this to get lost amid the last two posts. So reposting

SickSam asks HW:

I think I'm gonna love slippery elm too HW. You don't feel like it's interfering with meds in any way? How much do you usually use? I'm just up to 1/4 tsp once a day so far. [end SickSam quote]
-

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sicksam. I haven't been consistent with it for a while, but when I was taking it daily, I would take maybe 1/2 tsp each day.

I didn't take it more than once a day, but I would make it like a tea. I would put some mint extract in with it and it was lovely.

I think I might start again. Thanks for the reminder.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Good to know, thanks HW!

Thanks Keebler for all the additional info! This gastritis is proving to be quite tricky to tackle, so I appreciate all the info I can get.

I don't think I can take slippery elm 6x a day though, there wouldn't be enough space between it and other things. I'll have to see how I can squeeze in as many doses as possible. Wish I could just quit taking some of the other stuff. It's all necessary and helpful though.

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Well Keebler, I've been fitting slippery elm in 5x a day after all, and it seems to be helping significantly. I appreciate your advice! I'll be looking the marshmallow root and other things to possibly use along with it now.
Horizon
Member # 50800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you space it from your antibiotic you should be ok. I have not heard of an interaction but you said there was one so space it 3-4 hours apart. Will help your stomach deal with the irritation of the antibiotic.
Posts: 14 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Hmm. Maybe I'll try taking it more than once a day!
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get your slippery elm?
Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

I bought it from bulksupplements.com.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement