LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP!!! CHEST AND RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!!! CHEST AND RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS!!
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 4 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
Just yesterday, I was having this very uncomfotable tightness in my chest. It got more and more uncomfortable as the day went on that I started hyperventalating and having trouble breatthing. Went to the ER last night and the doctors there said I was getting 100% oxygen and that I was just full of anxiety. I been around that bush from the very beginning when I started having my actually pain, and obviously that is not true because I have Lyme. Have any of you had this happen before? HELP! ANY RESPONSE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had chest pain and tightness. Went to the doctor scared to death (stupid doctor, mind you) and was told it was inflammation. He pressed my chest and it hurt like hell. If it had actually been my heart hurting, since the heart is encased in bone, my chest wouldn't hurt by touching it.

Have had the same exact chest pain on the both sides since.

I swear it feels like what I would think was a heart attack but I guess not...I can't imagine WHAT a heart attack must feel like then.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I so know what you mean. I have chest pain, rib pain, and pain practically all over my body and it hurts like hell when pushed on. I had been on my pain medication when the tightness started so that fortunately wasn't another problem that fit in this equation. Thanks so very very much for your response JillF
Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is defintely one of the scariest symptoms. There are a few things that have helped me with this. An osteopath doctor figured out that my diaphragm and muscles around my stomach weren't moving appropriately when taking a breath, he gave me some exercises to help with this.

He also gave me some muscle relaxers. But I've found that now I can go to the health food store and get a bottle of Hops. I put it in tea or warm water and drink that 3-4 times a day and this acts as a natural muscle relaxer. But I end up doing this for a week or so in combination with the exercise in order for this to go away.

I posted a description of exercises a few months ago but I can't seem to find it right, now. I have a nasty cold and can't concentrate.

I tend to try and take a hot bath too, and sometimes this helps.

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I feel like I've been beaten and kicked in the rib area, the sides and back - all in the rib area - it's like it wraps around my whole body. So sore that it hurts just laying down and not moving.

All our symptoms are just so scary. And then the doctors say we are just anxious. Well, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I think our symptoms cause us to be anxious at times - it's not anxiety causing the symptoms. There's a difference!

Yet most doctors are too ignorant and self-righteous and arrogant to realize that.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K-lyme,

Is this a common occurance or was yesterday your first experience with this?

Did you just start any new medications?
If you have, then you may be having an allergic reaction to the med.

Hope this resolves ASAP!
Get better soon!
We are all rooting for you!

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the keets and parasites love to lie between the cartelege in our ribs and sternum thus causing hte pain you mention. if you can push on your ribs and sternum adn make the pain occur that's what's happening...

do know though, that chest pain and shortness of breath can be signs of a coifnection known as babesia..have you spoken to your llmd about this? many times you will not test positive for it, as the tests are very unreliable but these are symtoms ...someitimes you'll have these alone, someitmes you'll have dizziness, or lightheadednes, sometimes nausea, or sweats...severe headaches, either the type that feel like they'll blow the top off your head or the type that are shooting stabbing pains that come adn go....

these can all be signs of babs...check with your llmd . i had symtoms but never tested psotive..still got tretment and got better , as did both my kids...negative, had symtoms and dr. jones treated them both, adn now they're much better.

just a heads up..hope you feel better.

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMC--- no this isn't a common occurence for me. I just stopped taking my bartonella and lyme meds over the weekend because I developed itchy twitches and all of the sudden this happened
Sarah'smom
Member # 4489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah'smom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi k-lyme-
my daughter is having that same pain/discomfort you are describing. A few hours ago, she complained that she just couldn't get a deep breath of air-that when she fills her diaphram it just won't expand because it hurts too much. I know it makes her feel panicky too.I'm going to check into this Babesia thing again, although I know she tested negative on all the tests so I just assumed that wasn't a possibility.
lla2-can she be treated for babs while she is on iv claforan? Or does she have to wait?
At our last visit to Dr. J, he said that if he doesn't see more of an improvement that he would start to treat for coinfections regardless of test results.I am worried because the Iv meds scare me to begin with and it just seems like every new med brings her down so much....

Posts: 19 | From Spring Grove, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Sarah's Mom-

At last, someone knows what I am going through. If your daughter gets to the point where she can't breath at all, by all means, take her to the ER. If she can breath but is just having problems taking breaths like you say, if this happens to be during the day time, consult doctor jones, if at night, monitor it . The reason I say this is because last night at the ER, the docs were saying that I was getting 100% oxygen and therefore wasn't "REALLY" having trouble breathing. Anyway, a little advice to save you 5 hours of "you have anxiety bull ****". They did give me IV adivan which help the extreme tightness in my chest and therefore my breathing. Since then, I have been taking sublingual adivan 0.5 mg ( 2 each time my chest tightens and start having trouble breathing. By all means I am not saying this is the universal dose or anything, but since your daughter and I are so similar, it may be worth a shot. You and Your daughter hang in there and good luck!

lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I used to have bad babs herx's I would feel like something was sqeezing my diaphram under my ribs so I could never get a good deep breath..I would also wake up gasping for air...sleep apnea...

yes , these are all signs of babs..went away with treatment. between my two kids and I , and dr. H and dr. Jones, we all tested a total of eight times negative for babesia! but they still tested us because of our symtoms and we herxed like crazy on the meds and eventurally after many long months and then adding in artemesinin got better and all this went away...for my son his ashtma went away too...

dont' be fooled by the testing..dr. jones knows what he speaks of..he'll treat if he suspects it..with my daughter I sustpected it and asked tht she be put on the babs meds..she only had some minor symptoms of it,not like my son and I .she had some occasional vertigo adn bad sweating....but he agreed, put her on it, she herxed like crazy ad it really helped her...

so follow the sysmtoms, not the testing..and yes, you can be on coinfection meds at the same time as iv's..speak with dr. jones about it...he may want to pulse though..my kids were always just on orals...

lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement