LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » swallowing disorders - hypochlorhydria - lyme connection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: swallowing disorders - hypochlorhydria - lyme connection?
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had swallowing problems/throat and chest pain for over a year now.

This week my throat and chest feel like they are burned to a crisp. So I talked to my naturopath about this, and he thought that I might have hypochlorhydria, which is a condition where the stomach does not produce enough stomach acid.

The symptoms of hypochlorhydria can be the same as having too much stomach acid, including acid reflux, with throat and esophagus damage.

Hypochlorhydria acid reflux is not caused by too much stomach acid, but is a result of undigested food fermenting in the stomach, with fermented gases streaming up the esophagus and throat.

So anyway, he recommended that I do a test: by taking betaine HCL (hydrochloric acid) capsules with each meal.

To put things in perspective, if a person with normal stomach acid levels were to take 1 HCL capsule with a meal, then his stomach would burn.

Well this morning, I took 6 capsules with my breakfast, and my stomach did not even flinch! no stomach burning at all.
So it looks like I have hypochlorhydria, and it could be that I have achlorhydria (no stomach acid). I am starting to wonder how I am even still alive today without any stomach acid.

To make things even more interesting; and after reading the article below:
http://www.medical-library.net/sites/framer.html?/sites/_hypochlorhydria.html

I am starting to think that I might have contracted lyme from food sources.

A person with low stomach acid levels could contract just about any bacterial infection if the stomach acid levels are not high enough to kill off the bacteria in the stomach. The bacteria will just slip on down the intestines and into the body.

Also, candida infections can arise if a person's stomach acid levels are low. I believe that most candida comes into the body orally.

Anyway, I hope that this information will be of help to everyone people here. And if you want to have your stomach acid levels checked, and you do not want to take the HCL capsules, you can always have the Heidelburg test done.

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks DMC:

This is a great article & website, too.
I totally agree with you. We try to keep Betaine HCL on hand for my husband, but we're always running out.

Most of all, glad you found the ROOT CAUSE of the problem & you're feeling better now.
I don't know how you stood that pain.

Take Care,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmcbrayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your welcome Jan; and thanks for the encouragement.

I wish that I were feeling better, but the burning is still there. I am still having trouble finding the right dosage of HCL to take, and am very apprehensive about increasing the dosage up. Hopefully, I will find the correct dosage very soon. I am also sure that I am going to have quite a bit of healing to do also. I am definitely tired of the pain!

And yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the website. A wealth of medical information there. I knew about the good bacteria (probiotics) getting through the stomach; but I never really thought about the bad bacteria getting through too!

DMC

Posts: 221 | From fort smith, arkansas, usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 12 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Again,

Sorry, but I just always want to fix everybody.

Here are 2 "unsolicited" ideas. Please disregard if it's not for you.

I've found Aloe Vera to be great as a healer & anti-inflammatory. The catch is the only one I've found to work is expensive!

You might try l bottle of Aloe Vera Juice Concentrate by Aloe Vera International. It's so darn expensive or I would take it 365 days per year.

I can't get it from the health food store---bummer.

It's tea colored & very strong. (It's available in capsules, but thought the liquid might be easier for you.)

The clear water stuff/white gel in health food stores just seems to cause diarrhea.

Anyway, I call them for current specials & they'll also put you on their mailing list for future specials:

Aloe Master International
P.O. Box 116307
Carrollton, TX 75011-6307
Call 1-800-934-2563
(let me know if # is incorrect)

You can learn more about their products on the website:

http://www.aloe-emporium.com/aloe-master.aspx

I'd rather see you get l good bottle of aloe vera than several bottles of watered-down brands.

My other idea is to take 10,000 IU of Vit. A.
Get the real Vit. A & not beta-carotene. Not everyone can convert the beta into Vit A properly.

It's really good for healing the lining of the mucous membranes throughout the body.

Just a thought.
Best wishes,
Jan

Posts: 602 | From Burleson, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Thanks for the advice Jan,

You do not have to apologize for trying to help me. You've got a wonderful heart, and I appreciate all of the advice and ideas that you have given me. I hope that others here are just as thankful for people like yourself.
I hope that I can return the favor.

As a matter of fact, I bought some aloe vera juice on Monday, and have been taking it every day.

And yes, it definitely does have a soothing affect on the throat. Also, I've been gargling with some baking soda and water to try to neutralize some of the acid hitting my throat.

Thank you for the address on Aloe Master International. I definitely want to use the best quality aloe vera. I was very apprehensive about buying the juice at the health food store, because you never know if you're really getting what you think you're buying.

But I have not tried the vitamin A yet; but I will! My body's vitamin and enzyme conversion capabilities are definitely malfunctioning. Thanks for the extra advice.

Also, right after I got up out of bed, I drank a cup of water with an 1/8 of a teaspoon of goldenseal approximately an hour before breakfast.

I read in the herb book "Garden of Eden" that doing this an hour before eating strengthens the stomach, and I can definitely tell the difference with my stomach.

I got the burn in my stomach with only 3 HCL capsules; compared with yesterday's 6 capsules with no burning. Very little heartburn so far; so so far so good.

I also had a good case of heartburn last night. So I read in my herb book about the value of charcoal, and how it is good for heartburn. And sure enough; I popped 4 charcoal capsules down, and the fire slowly went out.

I don't want to take antacids or proton pump inhibitors if hypochlorhydria is what I have. They will just make it worse.

Best wishes to you too!

DMC

dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

Forget about what I said about no heartburn this morning. It just occured a little later than usual.

Jan,

I was wondering if my heartburn could be a result of a candida infection?
Does candida ferment foods in the stomach?

Thanks in advance

Danny

RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

DMC,

Okay, I will pass those new tips along to my husband. He's been taking Cat's Claw until it tears his stomach up.

We've got charcoal caps on hand, but no Golden Seal Root. Interesting, I've never heard about GSR being good for the stomach.

Looks like I'm going to have to break down & buy that Garden of Eden book. Sounds like we're going to need it.
Take Care,
Jan

lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried taking Omega 7? (no, not 3,6 or 9) It's from sea-buckthorn and helps rebuild mucous membrane in the digestive and urogenital system, and supports GI tract regeneration. The kind I take, Supercritical Omega 7 contains Sea buckthorn, rosemary and calendula.

I used to be chronic IBS person with acid reflux enough to kill (lived off Zantac for years). Started Omega 7 three months ago and my stomach is fantastic.

Not sure if you can find this stuff in stores - made by NewChapter (www.newchapter.info) - but I bought mine at www.real-world-health.com)

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried taking Omega 7? (no, not 3,6 or 9) It's from sea-buckthorn and helps rebuild mucous membrane in the digestive and urogenital system, and supports GI tract regeneration. The kind I take, Supercritical Omega 7 contains Sea buckthorn, rosemary and calendula.

I used to be chronic IBS person with acid reflux enough to kill (lived off Zantac for years). Started Omega 7 three months ago and my stomach is fantastic.

Not sure if you can find this stuff in stores - made by NewChapter (www.newchapter.info) - but I bought mine at www.real-world-health.com)

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

quote:
Originally posted by RECIPEGIRL:
DMC,

Looks like I'm going to have to break down & buy that Garden of Eden book. Sounds like we're going to need it.
Take Care,
Jan

Sorry Jan,

The book is not called 'Garden of Eden'

But "BACK TO EDEN"
[URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0940985101/103-0152040-3157434?v=glance]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0940985101/103-0152040-3157434?v=glance[/UR L]

This book also recommends many other herbs for the stomach, other than goldenseal.
The book also recommends the herb origanum: It says that this herb is excellent for strengthening the stomach. I've never heard of it before.

Good luck with your husband

DMC

[This message has been edited by dmcbrayer (edited 27 August 2004).]

dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
Have you ever tried taking Omega 7? (no, not 3,6 or 9)

I have never tried this, but I will definitely keep it in mind.
Thanks for the tip.

DMC

dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

I just got off of the phone with Dr C's office. He says that the antibiotic ceftin, which I have been taking for a month, can cause acid-reflux problems in the stomach. So it looks like the ceftin could be the main culprit of my stomach and throat problems instead of hypochlorhydria.

Also, it might be a good idea if those here with throat/swallowing disorders to check with their LLMD's to see if the antibiotics (that he/she is taking) are known to cause acid refux problems in the stomach.

DMC

RECIPEGIRL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5884

Icon 11 posted      Profile for RECIPEGIRL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny,

So sorry. For some strange reason I totally missed your question about the candida on Friday.

I've read Candida starts in the mouth & goes down, but seems like your tongue would show signs-----like white patches. Don't know really.

I never saw that post until today - Monday.
Oh boy! Somedays my brain is worse than others.

Glad your LLMD discovered the ABX is the culprit. I hope that fixes the problem for good.

I know what I read later that I thought might help-------(just what you wanted to hear, right? - LOL).

You probably saw it too. It's the thread about the amino acid glutamine. One person did have a reaction to it (like MSG), but many were able to take it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/027430.html

Take Care,
Jan

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 30 August 2004).]

dmcbrayer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5296

quote:
Originally posted by RECIPEGIRL:
Danny,

I know what I read later that I thought might help-------(just what you wanted to hear, right? - LOL).

You probably saw it too. It's the thread about the amino acid glutamine.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/027430.html

Take Care,
Jan

[This message has been edited by RECIPEGIRL (edited 30 August 2004).]

Hi Jan,

Yes, I did see the thread last week. And yes, I did start taking L-glutamine last week. Thanks for the additional tip.

As far as the candida,

I think that I do have signs of it on the back of my tongue, but I am not for sure. Sorry if this sounds sick, but I usually scape out a white cream from the back of my tongue every night.

Again, thanks for all of the good tips,

Danny

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement