LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any controversies with IgeneX lab?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any controversies with IgeneX lab?
DR. Wiseass
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DR. Wiseass   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last week I went to see my ob/gyn for my "annual" exam. (Don't worry - I'll spare you most of the details!)

While waiting for the doc to do what he was gonna do - the doc asked me what was going on with me health-wise.

I told him.

Big mistake.

He went on this Lyme-bashing rant (along with suggesting that my recent weight gain had nothing to do with my out-of-control thyroid problem...)

He said that ANYone's labwork that is sent to IgeneX comes back POSITIVE & that he could send a sample of the WALLPAPER to IgeneX & it would come back POSITIVE for Lyme.

Naturally, I came to the sudden conclusion that my ob/gyn is an idiot, yet I chose not to comment on my conclusion as I was sitting there wearing only a paper gown & socks.

I didn't feel like the timing was right for me to educate HIM about LD - as I was not in the right "position" to do so at the time...if you know what I mean.

Anyway - just wondering if others have heard controversies about IgeneX.

ALSO - are there other labs that are competent when it comes to running LD tests?

I already KNOW that I have Lyme - regardless of what any tests say. I've been sick far too long. I know it's a clinical diagnosis..and my IgeneX report only confirmed it.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
DR. Wiseass - not a real doc - just a real wise ass.
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

Posts: 792 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dr. WiseAss - Thanks for making me laugh today...Your blog is great!

Sorry to hear your appointment went as it did...

I know there are a lot of skeptics of IgeneX - I have not heard of any controversies though...

I have heard that there are people who have tested negative for tick borne illness through IgeneX.

I know that IgeneX has played a huge role in saving my health if not my life.

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pattiecake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pattiecake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEEHEEE! ditto on the thanks for the laugh! I wouldnt expect a GYNO to know SQUAT about lyme so therefore i wouldnt care about his/her comments. I have always known IGENEX to be reutable. The first time I had lyme my highly positive test eventually went to equivical.
Pattiecake

Posts: 687 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how often does this Gynecologist/Obstetrician test for Lyme Disease in order to make this comment???

I would take his comment with a pinch of salt.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KLS
Member # 6002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KLS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doc!

What a great post! I too had a really negative response come from an Infectious Disease doctor that I saw recently. I had been coming up equivocal with MDL every time that I tested and finally I asked my LLMD to send my bloodwork to Igenex and I had a positive IGM and IGG and was so relieved that I finally had proof that I wasn't a hypochondriac.

I went for a second opinion armed with the test results because I figured this doc might not think it was lyme and he basically told me that they are not an accredited lab and that the results don't mean anything! How frustrating!!!

So just where can you send your bloodwork so that it will be acknowledged by general md's I wonder??? The only lab that he said he said he trusted was Quest and Labcorp! Go figure!!!

Posts: 90 | From NJ USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - So here is something interesting...It is my understanding that a lot of the testing techniques that IgeneX uses are patented and owned by them...however when I got my test results back from IgeneX the labs were processed by QUEST using IgeneX standards...so my question is has IgeneX sold rights to it's methods to Quest...I know the CDC probably still doesn't recognize them as valid...but this could mean IgeneX's validity may be questioned less...thoughts?

------------------
-Gretchen W.
"If I can stop one/Heart from breaking/I shall not live in vain/If I can ease one Life the Aching/Or cool one Pain/Or help one fainting Robin/Unto his Nest again/I Shall not live in Vain." Emily Dickinson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have gotten negative tests from Igenex once I was well.

Have gotten positive tests from Igenex when I was still symptomatic. I have also gotten negative tests when I still was having symptoms. Many symptoms were then from a still lingering heavy metal toxicity and they are impossible to differentiate because they feel the same. This is part of the
problem with testing for Lyme. What causes what.

I have gotten negative test from Bowen when I still had Babesia.

We been told by his majesty, the Dean of Infectious Disease at the University of Washington that Igenex not reliable. My husband had a positive Igenex test in his hands to give the Dean to hopefully get IV's. No. My husband was not walking any longer and in a wheelchair. Refusal; "you have Parkinsons".

My husband was treated by our doctor for Lyme and all inherent infections as well as heavy metals and is well know.

The only test I know of that is reliable all the time is the Lymphocite Transformation Test for Lyme done in Germany, paid and recognized by insurance. It is very similar to the MELISA test method of testing for heavy metal toxicity which can be done in this country. It also is a lymphocite type test. Look it up. It probably will take another 50 years before it is recognized by the "authorities". I am not certain if they are offering the MELISA for Lyme in this country yet.

I know this does not help much, but if you want to know for certain, the Lymphocite Transformation Test (LTT) for Lyme is done in parts of Europe; Germany for certain.
The Lymphocite test for heavy metals is available here.

It is easy to find out via MELISA or Lymphocite Transformation Test (Berlin and Karlsruhe-Ettlingen).

Take care.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, Igenex DOES NOT process tests through Quest. I haven't heard of Quest using Igenex standards. If so, this is totally new. is it possible the test was never sent to Igenex?

The Igenex Elisa and Western Blot are accepted by the CDC according to CDC criteria. Many of their other tests, like the PCR and the Dot Blot are still considered experimental, and Igenex uses their own methods to test.

Igenex has been thoroughly grilled numerous times, and has always passed all challenges to their lab standards. They have an approximately 65% positive rate on their Western Blots.

In my own house I was clearly positive (by CDC standards) on IgG and IgM WB, my son was negative, and I had negative Dot Blots. My son, after treatment based on clinical signs, had two clear EM rashes as herxes.

So, from our own results, I wouldn't say that all Igenex tests come back positive, even when they should. If a doctor believes there is something wrong with the testing, they are operating on hearsay, not facts.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riversinger (edited 13 January 2005).]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post

[This message has been edited by riversinger (edited 13 January 2005).]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

I will be asking my LLMD about the test results next time I see them out of curiosity. There is a lab report from IgeneX but it does overlap and there are results on Quest letterhead which say tests were conducted using IgeneX standards...it is probably just their way of reporting all lab results together...but it is a bit confusing.
Barngirl
Member # 6391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barngirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why it is so important to go to a LLMD.

Even the CDC says lyme is a CLINICAL diagnosis. Not a laboratory diagnosis.

All of the other Ducks do not know and rely on test results. It is a waste of time and money for everybody and delays treatment.
The patient is the only one that suffers.
What about the co-infections that go along with lyme?

I am sorry that insurance companies rely on tests too for payment and coverage.
It is very hard for people with no money.

We need to keep fighting for our rights and get lyme and it's treatments recognized.

Bottom line-STAY AWAY FROM THE DUCKS!!!!

okay, I'll settle down now.

Posts: 62 | From MD | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex gave a presentation at the 2004 ILADs conference, and I met the lab director, and based on that and things others have said, I trust Igenex.

The two toughest states to get commercial lab certification from are California and New York, and Igenex annually passes those. Many other labs, like Stony Brook, have gone from a "homebrew" test to an FDA-approved kit for their Elisa's and WBs, and in order to pass the FDA certification, they had to desensitize the tests. (There's always a trade off between sensitivity and specificity.) Many Lyme docs have been disappointed in Stony Brook's kit results since this changeover.

Igenex has high positive rates compared to Quest, etc, because they only do tick borne disease tests, and people have to go way out of their way to use them, which means they're probably really sick with Lyme by the time their blood gets there.

Also, Igenex test for antibodies for multiple strains of the Lyme bacteria, unlike many of the commerical test kits, which only test for one.

In testimony given at the Informational Hearing on Lyme Disease: Issues in Diagnosis and Reporting, Wednesday, February 25, 2004, to the California Legislature Senate Committee on Health and Human Services (Deborah V. Ortiz, Chair) Jyotsna Shah, PhD, CMLD, MBA, Vice President of Research and Development Dept. and Laboratory Director of Clinical Reference Laboratory, IGeneX Inc. of Palo Alto offered the following:

``For the year 2003, just to give you an idea, we had tested 698 patients suspected of Lyme disease. Three hundred and ninety-four were positive by either Western blot or antigen test or PCR. If we had gone by the CDC criteria only, we would have missed 70 percent of this 394 cases.''

In other words, 56% of the Lyme disease tests performed by IGeneX Laboratory in 2003 were positive.

This testimony is on the public record and is available online as part of the recording of the complete hearing at www.calchannel.com. Go to Search Archive, Browse by Month (February 2004), then to February 25th (listed as 022504), Senate Info- Hearing, Health and Human Services - Lyme Disease and hit ``watch.''

--Kris

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to think there would be some envy over what Igenex does. They do one thing and one thing only, and so they have developed the ability to really refine their tests as much as possible to make them sensitive for detecting lyme.

Mainstream docs have 'bloodtest on the brain' - every illness must be confirmed by a bloodtest....well lyme messes up their way of thinking and if there is possibly a new way of thinking that might make a doc look like they don't know something, most will resort to the old way of thinking.....

Like many, I had my questions early on about Igenex. I certainly had the skeptical thought that they produce more positives because that is the way they stay in business. I had my own labwork sent there.....negative. I'm a seronegative case, so the negative actually made me happy and showed me that Igenex doesn't send back a positive to everyone.....a highly unscientific way of coming to my conclusion, I know, but it worked for me LOL.

And, as the others have said, the bloodtest is just one very small part of the diagnostic process....Dr. WA, your story made my day.....hope your gyny appt went well. This doc has a rather distorted view of the world anyway, if you catch my drift, so I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on his opinions.
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymiecanuck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, how nice for the WALLPAPER as mine came back equvicoal and negative and I really needed a positive test to show the ducks.

I was laughing my head off when I read that.

lymiecanuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement