LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How about a new forum on here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How about a new forum on here
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone though about a new forum for advanced topics, scientific discussion and publication notifications. It might take some of the load off of this forum so as to allow the posts to stay longer before they have to be removed due to data base limitations.

There are a lot of people around here that know their stuff but it is hard to go through the many posts every few days. It would also be a bit less discouraging for some of the newly diagnosed. I have talked to a number of people, all who have lyme who do not goto this site because of some of the "bad" stuff they read, ie. persistent infection etc...

Any thoughts????

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep tryed it a while back and they called it this,Best Of... / Frequently Talked About

But somethings wrong with it it broke hahaha

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andie-ws
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6116

Icon 3 posted      Profile for andie-ws     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Dave,

Hi Tree

I agree. I think it be great to have places where all the info that gets constantly repeated can be found in a flash.

My ideas run along the lines of something like:

1) a sub-site specifically for newbies that has all the essential stuff that gets posted and reposted. This would include treatment info for parents re the kiddies.

2) a sub-site that has basics of alternative protocols. (Ie; Marnie, Shoemaker, Klinghardt, Gigi, Skyking, etc)

3) a sub-site for advanced/adjunctive topics

Perhaps if we did that, it would free up the med discussion forum a bit. I would hate to lose any of the above-mentioned topics from "discussion".

Just some thoughts

peace,
andie

Posts: 278 | From weston,ct.usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artbyjessie2
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think we should also add a section where people can discuss the various ABX - there seem to be a lot of repeat questions on that but it is a very important subject especially to the people starting new meds
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andie-ws:
Dear Dave,

Hi Tree

I agree. I think it be great to have places where all the info that gets constantly repeated can be found in a flash.

My ideas run along the lines of something like:

1) a sub-site specifically for newbies that has all the essential stuff that gets posted and reposted. This would include treatment info for parents re the kiddies.

2) a sub-site that has basics of alternative protocols. (Ie; Marnie, Shoemaker, Klinghardt, Gigi, Skyking, etc)

3) a sub-site for advanced/adjunctive topics

Perhaps if we did that, it would free up the med discussion forum a bit. I would hate to lose any of the above-mentioned topics from "discussion".

Just some thoughts

peace,
andie

Hi andie-ws

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islandgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Canlyme.com has a great collection of articles that the moderator adds to often. They remain as part of the site. Look under www.canlyme.com On the homepage, he has newer articles, Up top, under NEWS, are all the articles from papers, conferences, etc. The STARI info has been there along with some other very interesting articles. And under PHYSICIANS, there are numerous articles and links to information that newbies and old bees may want to read and copy for their files as well.

Come visit us...we have NO TICKS in Canada either!!!

Posts: 190 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They told us last year when this was discussed, that they could add only one new forum. [limitations of the website capabilities, I think]

So we all voted for the "Frequently asked questions" so newbies could access that info readily and the rest of us wouldn't have to spend quite as much time answering redundant questions.

Every newbie basically has the same questions!

This would also keep other medical questions from going to page 2 too quickly where some newbies don't know how to access.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmichaelo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cmichaelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newbies are like babies...or at least I was when I first came here.

I needed hand holding, comfort and was confused about my disease.

When I first learned about LymeNet I was exited about visiting the site in hope of finding answers.

The last thing on my mind was to be methodical about how to find answers.

I simply went on the main message board and blurted my questions out.

I couldn't care less about flash and advanced search options. I wanted to "hear" people voices and tell me that I had come to the right place and so on.

In addition to what has already been suggested, I suggest we create a message board just for newbies.

To make sure newbies go to that message board when they first register, we could auto-direct them to the newbie message board upon completion of the registration process.

Otherwise, newbies are inclined to go directly to "Medical questions" or whichever happens to be the message board with the most postings.

Michael

Posts: 702 | From NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "Basic Lyme Information" section might be the answer. This section would have the basic information about Lyme, along with some comments, or "alternative explanation proposals"- maybe we could even vote on the best information to move to the top. Also, totally redundant or inappropriate comments could either be moved to medical or another forum, or put into a special "further discussion" sub-section. (or deleted, if they're totally out of line, which is always possible, but seems to be rare here!)

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, it took me 4 years of non-stop research to understand the following. This is something every lyme patient needs to know/learn ASAP!!! Before it spirals out of control.

I have, literally, hundreds of MS word files of info. all documented.

If persons do not UNDERSTAND what is happening, they will "dismiss" the complementary treatments which are sooooo helpful.

Notice I said, complementary, not "alternative". They go hand in hand. To separate them from medical questions would be a disservice.

If you need "hand holding" (and everyone does from time to time!), general discussion is the place. This is "medical questions" area and hence frequently posts complicated documented research.

Here are the "basics" (which took me 4 years to figure out):

posted 30 May 2004 17:45
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten Points regarding Mg and Lyme Disease

1. Bb, the lyme spirochete, uses magnesium (Mg) - our supply - for its enzyme reactions according to microbiologist, Dr. Gary Kaiser.

2. We need enough Mg for MANY functions (!) including making healthy antibodies (our own "antibiotics") to fight ALL bacteria - co infection issues AND viruses - cancer.

3. The % decrease of Mg early on in this disease is astounding! According to the abstract from Romania, we are looking at a 30% reduction off the bat. That is a HUGE decrease! It will require IV doses of Mg given over time and constantly monitored to maintain normal levels until the infection has been eliminated. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. All lyme symptoms can be traced to Mg deficiency symptoms. We MUST restore the normal level of Mg.

4. Our NK cells (natural killer cells that knock off precancerous cells) also need enough Mg and Ca in the steps they take to kill the precancerous cells...every day (about 4 per day). Cancer is (caused by)a virus that also follows the glycolysis pathway also.

5. If we do not restore to normal the level of magnesium (++ charge), the disease spirals out of control and leads to many other problems (depression, diabetes, hormone levels dropping, etc.). The body will "hunt for" other ++ charges to TRY TO compensate for this missing mineral.

6. A Mg deficiency -> Calcium going into the cells (not good so the body tries to stop this)-> angiotensin is stimulated (a protein, neg. charge) -> TNF alpha rises (positive charge).

7. Correcting the serious Mg deficiency will stop the disease and eliminate all of the symptoms as it did for the 2 Romanians. This will take TIME...esp. if the disease has a foothold.

8. Nonstop powerful antibiotics are acidic (neg. charge). They will make the body too acidic and the body will react by pulling additional minerals (pos. charge) out of storage to compensate, to maintain the pH (acid-base) balance. Furthermore, in the presence of acids, it is known that Bb "dives for cover" ie., sheds its cell wall/goes into cyst formation within minutes. (Please note: heat and frequencies are also neg. charges!)

9. The abx. alone are not what is curing (those lucky enough to have stopped this early on). It is the abx. REACTING WITH THE MINERALS that is doing the trick. Acids, a LOT, react with minerals to produce hydrogen. Hydrogen INactivates PFK, an enzyme that Bb is dependent on. Hydrogen is carried INTO the cells via CoQ10. When the Romanians restored the normal level of Mg in the early onset lyme patients and gave abx. -> cure.

Toxins are acidic too..very (!) + abx. are acidic + Mg is usually combined with an acid (Mg chloride, Mg sulfate, Mg pyrophosphate - the best choice).

Sooooo, once again...a lot of acids react with a little mineral to produce hydrogen which INactivates PFK and shuts down the glycolysis pathway (using sugar for energy). Insulin ACTIVATES PFK...so avoid "sugar rushes".

10. In addition, by restoring the Mg levels, TNF alpha will be reduced, more healthy antibodies will be formed, etc.

Find a way/place to get ACCURATE Mg testing done. Find a doctor willing to give the doses necessary and monitor the level closely until you test negative.

This pathogen choses THE most critical mineral to deplete. Mg is vital to our immune system, controls over 350 enzymes, is needed to make ATP - energy (both routes), and is capable of DNA repair. No other electrolyte is capable of taking over these functions. This is disasterous. Restore the balance.

ALL of the above is DOCUMENTED in my "In a Nutshell" post which is MUCH longer and technical.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is some good info.
( www.canlyme.com)
But we are talking a more "straight from the lymies' info section, is what I gather here.
It's true that some of the links (listed on the top left of this page, on my macintosh browser) are exactly what we're talking about, except with additional submissions possible ("web log style", more or less like the "flash section but with more moderation)- - eventually, we could even have votes for what goes to the top and what gets rejected! (but THAT might require a little work!)
So all that needs to be done is to add that capability, with various degrees of moderation. It's no big change we're talking here! Just using what we have, and perhaps adjusting it a little bit, for better updatebility. It would need hardly any additional input, it would seem. . Generally, his is one of the best laid-out sites I've seen-- we just need to invite the general lymenet population to submit additional entries for all of the sections on the left (turn them into logs, too). Then, "Flash discussion" should stay exactly that.
Very little needs to be done- may not even need a new section; just a slight alteration to what we have!
(Sorry to present this as I think about it!)
DaveS

[This message has been edited by HaplyCarlessdave (edited 25 January 2005).]

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement