LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gnashing of Teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gnashing of Teeth
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to the bio-dentist last Monday and had my problem tooth extracted. Cavitat showed cavitations in all four quadrants of my mouth.

I need 20 crowns because my teeth are so worn from grinding them. Just a warning to all who have 'gnashing of teeth' from the evils of lyme disease: ask your dentist to make a guard for you to wear at night and/or during the day if you grind them while you're awake. You could save yourself $20,000 to $30,000.

Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 14 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is important information for all. I have been wearing a night guard for 15 years. Lyme has made the grinding much worse. If it were not for the guard I would have more than the 5 crowns I already have.

TMJ can result from the grinding as well.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've grinded all my life. Problem is, I didn't know it.

I knew it when I lived at home, because I was constantly being smacked by an unidentified object by one of my three sisters who all bunked with me.

Once I married King Tut however, I was never aware I still had this problem- until two months ago.

Until the pain in my jaw, neck and shoulder, got to the point I pondered suicide because of lyme. I went 3 years thinking this pain was lyme.

Long story short? It wasn't and I'm in your club also. My bruxism responded quite nicely to a mouth guard and the getting rid of some unecessary stress in my life.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biting Back
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biting Back     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the affirmation. I didn't think I would be the only lymie destroying my teeth this way. Thing is, you don't realize you're damaging your teeth until it's too late. I used to grind my teeth because of the pain and emotional torture . . . now it's just a bad habit.
Posts: 703 | From Almost Heaven | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V, sorry to read about this for you too.

Have you thought about just having your teeth pulled and full dentures replacing them?

I grind my teeth too; didn't know it.

bettyg

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Don't remove teeth. The possibility of bacterial infection and symptoms of lyme would be a lot.

Your gums will probably be sensitive after the crowning procedure.

I had oldstyle crowns on 2fronts since I was 22 or so. Just had the porcelains put on last spring (just prior to being bit again). The nerves were very sensitive to the entire process for at least 1 - 1.5 weeks after procedure.

bettyg: I don't pulling the teeth is an alternative. I don't know. I know I certainly wouldn't.

I know of another lymie who needs surgery of the lower teeth alignment and the dentist told him he risks having numbness and tingling if he wants to do the procedure.

docdave will come in soon, I'm sure.

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JesusisLord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesusisLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biting Back:

Gosh, I'm really sorry to hear about your dental problems and the cavitations. I will continue to pray for you.

Posts: 111 | From Tick Country | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of offending anyone who is a dentist, there is a much cheaper way to get a mouth guard than to have a dentist make one.

Go to a sporting good's store and buy one like is used for football players and follow the instructions for how to heat and mold it to your teeth. This is what I use and it costs less than $4.

I had a friend with TMJ. He spent a lot of money at the dentist to get a mouth guard made and ground right through it very quickly. He now goes to the sporting goods store and his guards last longer.

Hiker

Posts: 8894 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement