LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neuro-Lyme: Any advancements?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neuro-Lyme: Any advancements?
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I am writing hoping to hear some success stories and suggestions involving neuro-lyme.

I am 28, have had lyme symptoms for 6 years (4 years undiagnosed) and have been on med's for the last year and a half. I have been on Ketek seemingly forever and have reached the point with it where I feel like any potential benefit from that medication I've already received, so why continue with it?

While most of my pain related symptoms have improved, I still have chronic "nerve rumbling" from my shins down to my feet, I get random nerve zaps anywhere on the body a few times a day, and I have poor short term memory. My lower back has also been bothering me for the past week or so and am wondering if that's from weak or irritated nerve endings.

If anyone has any suggestions for me...new med's, supplements, diet, anything that would help I'd appreciate it. I see my Lyme doc this Thursday and want to go in there with info handy.

Thanks,
Marc

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jloisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jloisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skimpbiz,

These random nerve zaps, do they feel like someone is shocking you? I have them now and they are like every 10 seconds or so. What seemed to help yours?

I have just started treatment about 1 1/2 mo. ago w/my LLMD.

Thanks,

jloisu

[This message has been edited by jloisu (edited 29 August 2005).]

Posts: 197 | From Seeing Lyme Green in Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skimpbiz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skimpbiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,

They have improved somewhat in terms of frequency with med's. Instead of them happening to me every 10 seconds as you're experiencing, I might get one bad zap every few hours. But yes, it feels exactly like an electrical shock sensation. It's odd because when I get one it's usually 2 places of my body that get zapped at the same instant.

Whenever I've had relapses, this is generally one of the first things that comes back with a vengeance, and when I am better the problem still exists but it is improved and more dormant.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Posts: 173 | From Lakeland, FL 33813 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc,
Are you taking Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin B12? How about Magnesium?
ALthough I am MUCH improved, I still get sensory twitches, and very painful small spasms. Generally these are either in my right deltoid or quadricep. Magnesium seems to be the key ingredient for keeping them at bay. I take a gram of Magnesium Sulfate IM about twice a week. All attemps to cut back have resulted in these returning. This is treatment mentioned by Dr. B in his treatment guidelines. In addition, he noted that lymies tend to become severely deficient in B vitamins. There is a controversy about this as Dr. D. in MA believes supplements envigorate the spirochetes. Most LLMD's it seems favor using supplements.
A somewhat separate issue is that low B12 can cause degeneration of the spinal cord, even when blood tests show normal levels of B12. This is often first manifested by tingling in the extremities.
As long as I keep up with my supplements, I am nearly asymptomatic.
Hope this helps.
David

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Marc.
Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marc..have you considered co-infections?..Especially Bartonella. Might be something to consider..Or another neuro toxin such as mold contributing to lack of improvement and other problems.
Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walnut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call myself a success story. But my neurological symptoms have diminshed significantly -- less frequent and less intense.

I was on ketek for about 4 months before I noticed any improvement, and have now been on ketek for 12 months.

If you are not being treated for potential co-infections, it is something to consider addressing.

Posts: 187 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement