LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ketek Experiences (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ketek Experiences
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started 0n 1/18/06
Mgs 400 twice a day = total 800mg daily.
Ill update when notice reactions of any kind.
Anybody Ketek Experiences [Big Grin]

Found this too:

Ketek Buddies

KETEK CAUSES LIVER DAMAGE thread

MY recent "episode" with Ketek...any one else??

[ 26. January 2006, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Ketek 800mg(taken allat once) for about 10 months. I stopped that one a switched to some other meds about 5 months ago.

Like all of this, its hard to tell what worked and what didn't. I think it helped. I had none of the side effects from it. I would do it again if necessary.

Hope this helps..... good luck with it.

I will say the two thinks I know helped are mino and rifampin. I herxed badly from mino and then made a big leap forward. I am still on mino. I also am on rifampin now. Not as dramatic as mino but noticing some gains.

Do we ever really know what works????

robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robi- I agree with you. Never really know what works or not.

Tree- I was on Ketek for about 13 months. I experienced the focusing issues....switching from far to close range, it takes a second or two to focus. Overall my situation has improved (slowly) in the last year. Not sure if Ketek is responsible for that.

Been off for about two months now, focusing slightly better. May take time....

I start Mino this weekend....I'm nervous.

LC

Posts: 116 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started taking ketek in early Oct 05 and i'm still taking it. The first thing I noticed was that I became an emotional fruitcake and then the paranoia set in. I'm not sure that either of those were because of the ketek. More likely the lyme symptoms clearing due to the ketek.

Thankfully, I'm not an emotional fruitcake any longer and my paranoia has also resolved, whew which is really good thing.

I was doing incredibly well (full focus, good energy, almost better than pre lyme - with exception of partially frozen shoulder) up until about 5 weeks ago when I started having increasing eye and muscle (not joint) problems. Not sure what is going on and I don't see my llmd until tomorrow.

The last visit the increase in symptoms had just started and she stated - herx. The muscle weakness, pain has increased and now includes more areas/muscle groups.
Up until this time I haven't had problems with my eyes at all, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Persons with more lyme experience than I, tell me that the eye problems may be due to babesia (which i have) or bart (which I did not test positive for but had many symptoms) and may not have anything to do with the ketek.

Over the months, Ketek has been an easy abx to take and I think it has been very effective.

--------------------
When I feel blue . . . . . . its time to take another breath

Posts: 296 | From East Coast | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I took Ketek for about 6 months last year. When I added mino, I started having heart problems. Ketek or Lyme heart related, I don't know.

I stopped all abx for a few weeks and started back on just mino. Still having heart problems but not as bad.

We then added Bactrim for staph infection and heart problems are back full force every time I take mino. Bactrim alone is no problem. Can feel it working on TBDs too.

In the back of my mind, I wonder if Ketek may have screwed up my ability to combine abx or whether mino is just something I can't combine with anything. I wish my LLMD would take me off mino. I really hate the stuff to the point of being non-compliant with my therapy.

While on Ketek, I felt a LOT better than many other abx I've taken. I think there's a "Ketek Buddies" thread out there somewhere you might want to check out.

Take care,

Corgilla

--------------------
"I'll never forget good old Whatsisname."

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting on Ketek tomorrow. Will relate my experience. I have chronic Lyme with terrible muscle issues so this should be interesting. I herxed badly on Biaxin.
Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on Ketek (800 mg daily at once) 10 1/2 months ago. It started me herxing immediately and I am still herxing to some extent.

Started using a walker immediately after beginning the Ketek (had used a cane but it became inadequate). Still have to use it.

Also taking Plaquenil and Doryx.

Improvement is very slow.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Darkness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 985

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Darkness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to get off Ketek due to liver damage; was on it for 9 months.
Posts: 560 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it at 400mg BID a couple of times for about a month, and with either a penicillin or a cephalosporin.

It was well tolerated, but it didn't seem like it was doing much. There was always a problem getting insurance to cover it, and since the results were not that impressive I just moved on.

The in vitro tests on Ketek for Lyme indicate about 3 days of Ketek should totally cure a person of Lyme. What a total waste of lab time!

You take an organism that is extremely difficult to culture, and manage to get it to cling to life in some kind of culture medium. Then you try to kill it with your medicine. Guess what, it isn't hard to kill under those conditions, since it is barely alive and has no defenses.

The only way to do a meaningful test with this infection is in living tissue.

The best I can say is it didn't cause any problems.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Ketek twice, for short periods.

My blurry vision improved for about two weeks and then went blurry again, both times. llmd is as pussled as I.

Other wise all was good.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for more experiences

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Improved lots on 4 months Ketek April-end of August. Then got stomach problems, which may or may not be related to Ketek. When restarted Ketek in October, stomach worse again. Stopped Ketek again and am due to restart this week. Stomach still not good with on and off stomach aches and upset stomach/gas/diarrhea. I have been off Ketek for so long though, and on lotsof Diflucan, I am wondering if my stomach problems were never ketek related in the first place, but something else.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cstockwell
Member # 8201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cstockwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware of Ketek...important article...please read:
Ketek Msnbc article

Posts: 16 | From MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by cstockwell:
Beware of Ketek...important article...please read:
Ketek Msnbc article

They tell you in there handouts to watch for yellowing of eyes and eye problems and also have your liver funtions tested which my LLMD does every other month.
Thanks though for heads up.

--------------------

Newbie Links

cstockwell
Member # 8201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cstockwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..I wasn't trying to say don't take just read up and be careful. We ingest enough things already that may not be good for us.
Posts: 16 | From MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Ketek
Active Ingredients: Telithromycin
Representative Names: Ketek
Available Product Images:

What are telithromycin tablets?
What should my health care professional know before I take telithromycin?
How should I take this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with telithromycin?
What side effects may I notice from taking telithromycin?
What should I watch for while taking telithromycin?
Where can I keep my medicine?

What are telithromycin tablets? (Back to top)
TELITHROMYCIN (Ketek�) is an antibiotic. Telithromycin kills certain bacteria or stops their growth. It treats lung, sinus, and throat infections. Telithromycin will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections. Generic telithromycin tablets are not yet available.

What should my health care professional know before I take telithromycin? (Back to top)
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*diarrhea
*heart disease
*irregular heart beat or abnormal heart beat
*kidney disease
*liver disease
*low blood potassium (hypokalemia) or magnesium (hypomagnesemia)
*myasthenia gravis
*stomach problems (especially colitis)
*other chronic illness
*taking cisapride (Propulsid�), pimozide (Orap�), or certain medicines known as antiarrhythmics (such as quinidine, procainamide, or dofetilide)
*an unusual or allergic reaction to telithromycin or macrolide antibiotics (such as erythromycin, azithromycin, clarithromycin, or dirithromycin), foods, dyes, or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine? (Back to top)
Take telithromycin tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take the tablets with a full glass of water. You may take telithromycin tablets with or without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose? (Back to top)
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What drug(s) may interact with telithromycin? (Back to top)
*alfentanil
*alosetron
*astemizole
*carbamazepine
*certain benzodiazepines (alprazolam, diazepam, midazolam, triazolam)
*certain heart medications (digoxin, diltiazem, disopyramide, dofetilide, felodipine, metoprolol, nifedipine, procainamide, quinidine, verapamil)
*certain medicines to treat fungal or yeast infections (itraconazole, ketoconazole, voriconazole)
*cisapride
*cyclosporine
*donepezil
*ergot alkaloid medicines, like ergotamine
*lidocaine
*medicines to treat viral infections (delavirdine, indinavir, nevirapine, ritonavir, saquinavir)
*methylprednisolone
*norethindrone
*paricalcitol
*phenytoin
*pimozide
*rifampin
*sirolimus
*some 'statin' medicines for reducing cholesterol (examples: atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin)
*tacrolimus
*terfenadine
*theophylline
*trimetrexate
*zonisamide

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines that you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking telithromycin? (Back to top)
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
*difficulty breathing
*fainting spells
*jaundice (yellowing of the skin and/or eyes)
*redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
*severe or watery diarrhea or persistent diarrhea
*skin rash, itching
*swelling of tongue or throat
*vomiting

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*diarrhea
*dizziness
*headache
*nausea
*vision problems such as blurred vision, difficulty focusing, and objects doubled

What should I watch for while taking telithromycin? (Back to top)
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve in 2 to 3 days. Make sure to take all of this medicine as prescribed, even if you begin to feel better.

If you get severe or watery diarrhea, do not treat yourself. Call your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

If you have vision problems while taking telithromycin, avoid driving, operating heavy machinery, or engaging in otherwise hazardous activities. You should also avoid quickly looking between objects in the distance and nearby; this may help to decrease these visual difficulties. If these vision problems interfere with your daily activities, contact you healthcare provider.

Telithromycin has been reported to cause liver problems. If you notice a yellowing of the skin or eyes, stop taking telithromycin immediately and contact your healthcare provider.

If you have fainting spells while taking telithromycin, contact your healthcare provider. Telithromycin may be affecting the way your heart beats.

If you have a disease called myasthenia gravis, telithromycin may worsen your symptoms. If you experience any worsening of your symptoms (such as muscle weakness, difficulty breathing) while taking telithromycin, stop taking telithromycin and contact your healthcare provider immediately.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking telithromycin.

Yeah..I wasn't trying to say don't take just read up and be careful. We ingest enough things already that may not be good for us.
____
______

--------------------

Newbie Links

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most medicines can cause liver problems, even Tylenol.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there ANY abx that doesn't cause such damage? I was on Biaxin at first and then people said that could kill me and now I am going on Ketek and apparently that could kill me, too?!?!?! I have had a liver cyst before and an enlarged heterogeneous liver...not sure what abx will do to me. Hmmm...I'm not even sure I have Lyme so I am wondering why I should even risk it by taking these abxs!!
Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

If there is a chance you have Lyme (a suspicion), it is less of a risk to treat it than to 'wait it out' and not treat.

If we read the labels of any drug, like I said even Tylenol (people use it to kill themselves), then we can scare ourselves half to death. There is a risk to everything. Don't let it put you off ridding yourself of a horrible disease.

DLL

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Having said the above, I got this by email, and it is pretty scary. I wish I wouldn't have seen it, but on the other hand, I want to know also:

Updated: 12:37 p.m. ET Jan. 20, 2006
WASHINGTON - Researchers reported Friday three cases of severe liver
problems, including one death, in patients at a North Carolina hospital
after they
began taking a novel antibiotic.

Federal regulators said they were reviewing an unknown number of U.S.
cases
involving the drug, telithromycin, and were consulting with their
counterparts
overseas.

One patient at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., died after
taking
telithromycin, which is marketed as Ketek, researchers at the hospital
said.

Another required and received a liver transplant, while the third
recovered
from drug-induced hepatitis after treatment with Ketek was stopped.

The severity of the cases warranted the researchers’ alerting doctors
to what
they called a “possible link with telithromycin,” said Dr. John
Hanson, who
works in the liver transplant center at Carolinas Medical Center.

The reports do not prove the drug caused the problems, researchers
said. Nor
is there enough information to support major changes in how the drug is
prescribed, Hanson said. Two of the three patients reported some use of
alcohol,
although there was no prior evidence of liver damage.

The cases are discussed in a paper to be published March 21 in the
journal
Annals of Internal Medicine. The journal released an electronic version
on
Friday.

The drug is made by Sanofi-Aventis. A company spokeswoman did not
immediately
return a message seeking comment left midday Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration approved the drug, marketed as Ketek,
in
2004 for treatment of acute bacterial infections from chronic
bronchitis, acute
bacterial sinusitis and community-acquired pneumonia. On Friday, FDA
spokeswoman Susan Bro said the agency would comb through its databases
for other reports
of liver problems in patients treated with the drug.

“Because these liver problems are significant and somewhat
idiosyncratic or
unpredictable, the FDA is evaluating the use of this medicine in both
the U.S.
and abroad where it is used and marketed to determine whether
additional
warning guidance is merited,” Bro said.

Bro cautioned that patients on the drug who experience any sort of
liver
distress, including jaundice, should talk to their doctors immediately.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

NBC10.com
Roundup: Ketek Warning; Harry Potter And Kids' Injuries; Waistline And
Health
Risks

POSTED: 5:33 pm EST January 20, 2006
UPDATED: 5:44 pm EST January 20, 2006

Antibiotic Linked To Liver Failure, Hepatitis

There is a warning about an antibiotic that has been linked to two
cases of
liver failure and has been implicated in a case of hepatitis -- all at
one
medical center.

The drug is Ketek.

According to the Annals of Internal Medicine, one person has died, one
has
received a liver transplant and another has recovered from drug-induced
hepatitis.

If you take Ketek and feel tired or weak -- or if you become jaundiced,
which
means to get yellow skin -- report it to your doctor immediately.

[ 21. January 2006, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: dontlikeliver ]

Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I have read the articles. Im tired personally of reading all the horrible things that can happen with antibiotics. Like someone else on here said, even Tylenol can kill you.

Whats a person to do then??? My dr wants to try me on Ketek. I was all for it but then I get scared off reading these articles and it's almost too much.

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Today Monday 23rd 06

Ketek experience
Eyes red sorta bloodshot itchy been like that since friday 13th 06
Sleeping better but feel sleepy yet when I get up.

As far as my body on ketek I feel normal.
Like Iam not on a abx. Odd isnt it?
Had one bowel movement watery the rest normal.

Uopdate next monday the 30th

--------------------

Newbie Links

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dontlikeliver

I'm not so sure about precautionary treatment of Lyme. If vachick is not sure she has it, could it be she does not have symptoms? If she does not have symptoms, how will she know when she has taken enough antibiotic? From what I can read, it is bad to stop the antibiotic too soon
as the remaining bacteria will just become more resistent.

I'm not sure why vachick thinks she might have it but is not sure. If she has symptoms but not a positive bloodtest, well, we all know that story and she should treat. If, on the other hand, she has no symptoms, I don't think she should treat.

Dr. K talks about people having the bacterial infection but no symptoms and people having the bacterial infection with symptoms. He only classifies the last group as having Lyme disease.

I also read that if we tested all people, 95% would have the bacteria.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nal,

It is tough.

What we, the people, need to do is demand the medical profession research and find safer alternatives to antibiotics. We can use the antibiotics (which I call the powerhorses) for those situations where quick, fast action is needed. Get in, get the job done, get out!

All of us chatting here at Lymenet are good case-in-point examples that antibiotics don't resolve this disease quickly and by themselves not permanently. More research needs to be done on alternative care. Big Pharma will never spend the dollars on it, because they won't get the return on their investment. Longterm antibiotic use is good for their bottom line. Does that mean we should just continue to gulp down their dangerous drugs when something safer could be just as effective?

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for 1 1/2 years, always with tons and tons of liver support:

Dr. Zhang's Hepa Formula 2 (active ingredient schisandra)
NAC (by the handful)
Phosphatidylcholine (i.e. refined lecithin)
Zinc
Milk thistle
CoQ10
Selenium
Alpha lipoic acid

When I first started taking it with omnicef, it reduced my soup of symptoms so much that it was finally possible to tell the Lyme and the co-infections apart. I continued on it while doing a five-month bartonella treatment, which so far seems to have worked. Now I'm doing a full-blast babesia treatment.

There have been no Lyme or bartonella symptoms for at least a month. It was never able to squelch the Lyme on its own, but made the omnicef much more effective. I had previously been on zithromax and plaquenil for years with almost no improvement, and had no response at all to biaxin.

If it were possible to do this whole thing over again, I'd have treated the bartonella first, then the babesia, then the Lyme with ketek. Maybe it's like flagyl, a highly effective antibiotic you only want to use in the short term, as a kicker to finish up the job.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek was originally approved for treatment of pmeumonia. I wonder how many lives it has SAVED?

Virtually all medications have risks, but these have to be weighed against the risks of not treating or undertreating serious disease.

I've done that math and I'll take my chances with the meds, thank you.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

up for monday 23 06

--------------------

Newbie Links

blackbirdsings
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbirdsings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Ketek and started herxing over the weekend. I went from feeling pretty human to really horrible and barely functioning again. We cut the dose in half like the llmd said we could and it it starting to lessen. This is rough, I was really excited over how much better I was feeling.

Any others herx on this? How long did you all herx for and than did you feel better-ish?

Thanks!

Posts: 114 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After that article about the Ketek related deaths, I contacted my LLNP, since I've had elevated liver enzymes on Ketek. She told me not to worry, that the famous Dr. B has been treating thousands of patients for many months with no problems.

When my enzymes first went up, I was taking 400mg twice a day and Bicillin LA 1.2mu once a week. I stopped all abx for a month, during which time I started taking milk thistle and 300mg ALA twice a day on the directions of my LLNP.

After a month my enzymes had dropped to a level that I could start abx again, and so started Ketek again, but continued w/the milk thistle and ALA. Since then, my liver enzymes have only kept going down. I've been getting my labs checked about every 2 weeks.

I think one of the lessons here is to monitor your liver function closely, and take those supplements that are protective to your liver, such as the milk thistle and ALA.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Wifes had as of since date 1/23/06 and 1/25/06 and today 1/26/06 :Headache 1 hr after and stomach ache twice one bad lastnight25th.

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Feeling good ! can hardly tell iam on ketek wifes headaches stopped too Updated 1/30/06

--------------------

Newbie Links

vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Saw my doc today and he wants me to up my dose to twice a day. Given the liver problems it can cause I am not sure what to do. My liver already has had issues in the past (a cyst/adenoma and enlarged).

Anyway, so far my herxing has been minimal but that may be due to lower dose. I feel better in some areas already, even though I have only been on it about 7 days.

After another week on it, I will get my liver enzymes checked.

mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started back on my two weeks on of Ketex last friday. I feel energetic on it. But, doing so much ABX 2 ketex in the morning and the other one twice a day, makes me pretty wound up and I have trouble sleeping. Last night I slept very little and am pretty tired, so Im about to take my second dose of the otherABX Im on, and hope it doesnt jack me up again. Im due to do my monthly blood draw, actually overdue, so Im going to try and find time in the next few days. I put it off so I could do it during my "on Ketex" weeks, rather than the off ones
Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Ketek for 2 months, gave me a severe herx, then gave me c.difficile and I have not been the same since, I will never take it again, it killed my intestines. [Cool]
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

I have already discussed this under my RA diagnosis post but am adding it here because I feel Ketek was a culprit in bringing on RA.

Leaky Gut Syndrome. This really applies to me. I was on Advil almost daily since this began last August. I took 3 weeks of Ketek over Christmas and it was during this time my stomach began to burn some.

Yesterday I looked again at the side effects of Ketek which were given to me by the pharmacy and was shocked to read this: This medication may rarely cause a severe intestinal condition (pseudomembranous colitis) due to a resistant bacteria.

Definition of Pseudomembranous colitis: Pseudomembranous colitis is a complication of antibiotic therapy that causes severe inflammation in areas of the colon (large intestine).

Definition of Leaky Gut Syndrome: The leaky gut syndrome is the name given to a very common health disorder in which the basic organic defect (lesion) is an intestinal lining which is more permeable (porous) than normal. The abnormally large spaces present between the cells of the gut wall allow the entry of toxic material into the bloodstream that would, in healthier circumstances, be repelled and eliminated.

The gut becomes leaky in the sense that bacteria, fungi, parasites and their toxins, undigested protein, fat and waste normally not absorbed into the bloodstream in the healthy state, pass through a damaged, hyperpermeable, porous or "leaky" gut. This can be verified by special gut permeability urine tests, microscopic examination of the lining of the intestinal wall as well as the bloodstream with phase contrast or darkfield microscopy of living whole blood.

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/LEAKGUT4.HTM

The leaky gut syndrome is almost always associated with autoimmune disease and reversing autoimmune disease depends on healing the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. Any other treatment is just symptom suppression. An autoimmune disease is defined as one in which the immune system makes antibodies against its own tissues. Diseases in this category include lupus, alopecia areata, rheumatoid arthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, vitiligo, thyroiditis, vasculitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, urticaria (hives), diabetes and Raynaud's disease. Physicians are increasingly recognizing the importance of the gastrointestinal tract in the development of allergic or autoimmune disease. Understanding the leaky gut phenomenon not only helps us see why allergies and autoimmune diseases develop but also helps us with safe and effective therapies to bring the body back into balance.

While it may be a rare disease, I bet it is not so rare with Lyme victims. We take a lot of abx and NSAIDS. NSAIDS are one of the prime causes of LGS. I believe the Advil I took almost daily for 5 mths was a big contributor and when I added Ketek to the mix, it took my intestines down.

--------------------

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Hi Luvs2ride,

This is not to invalidate what you're saying at all, but to add to it.

I think that ANY antibiotic (when you read the inserts/small print) has the risk of causing pseudomembranous colitis. It is not exclusive to Ketek I don't think.

Also, *most* people who are chronically ill with Lyme (and some other conditions too), have leaky guts already (before ANY treatment), which of course, can be made worse by antibiotics.

DLL

vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

So, does anyone know how to treat Leaky Gut? I have suspected that I have Leaky Gut before this whole Lyme diagnosis hit me.

I am unsure what to do to heal it though.

I am getting ready to up my dose of Ketek to twice daily which frightens me given what I am hearing here.

Between Ketek killing people, causing liver damage and worsening an already leaky guy, I feel it is hard to survive this treatment!

lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Ketek for a short time. It didn't seem to do as much for me as Doxy which I switched back to.

It was only in retrospect, that I realized how anxious and emotional I'd been on Ketek.

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

vachick,

Ketek is also giving people their lives back with minimal side effects. I think what you've read about really are exceptions.

I saw a doctor here in the UK who said that for leaky gut one should avoid gluten first of all, as most (his words) chronic Lymies have gluten intolerance, which is either caused by, or a result of, leaky gut.

I also take L-glutamine, which is also recommended for that.

I am sure there are other supplements, and other tips out there, but don't know off hand.

DLL

vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Don'tLikeLiver,
I appreciate that Ketek is giving people their lives back...I really want that, too. In fact, I am taking Ketek at a low dose currently.

However, my concern is more long term. What could this stuff do to our livers and other organs in the long term?

Are there other methods for irradicating these bugs without harsh abxs?

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

I know people who have been on various abx for several years and do not have damaged livers. I have been on them about two, and have never had elevated enzymes (was also on Mepron alongside). Having said that, I do worry a bit myself every day that I am taking the Ketek. But, again any antibiotic, or many other drugs also, can cause liver problems......right not, for me, it is a risk I feel I have to take. I want to get well, and so for now, I take the Ketek. I have felt very good on Ketek, and although I had to take a long break, twice, the improvement has remained, even though I have relapsed a bit.

I don't know of any alternative "harmless" methods that actually work, or that work long term, on their own without adding antibiotics into the equation.

If you're not happy with ketek though, maybe you should ask for another abx.

I am talking with my LLMD tomorrow and will ask what he thinks also about ketek, given the bad press last week.

DLL

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so there is no confusion, Pseudomembranous colitis IS caused by clostridium difficile (c.diff, c.difficile) bacteria. It's the severe version of it. It can start with diarrhea and progress to fever, abdominal cramping pain, and cold swets & chills. It can happen with ANY antibiotic use. Some are worse than others. Clindamycin and Amoxicillin seem to be the worst along with cephalosporins. Flagyl, oral vancomycin & occasionally Rifampin are used to treat it along with Questran (cholestyramine). Believe me it is EVIL. I have been fighting ot for a year! Ketek did it to me, so just be careful and take sacc. boulardi (Florastor) and your probiotics every day!

[toilet]

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

WildConder,

How did your C. Diff symptoms start? Was it an overnight thing, or a more slow insidious thing?

Somewhere, and I don't know where (possibly on LYmenet), I recall reading that S Boulardii (which is a fungus) can grow out of control in the body and become a systemic fungal infection. So, after thinking it was some kind of anti-C-Diff miracle probiotic, now I am confused about it.

Because I have had, on and off, stomach aches, episodes of sudden but brief diarrhea, which started coming on about 1 hr after taking my Ketek; gas and constipation (not debilitating) since September - I have been on and off the Ketek since then because I thought it was the Ketek causing it.

I had 3 tests for C Diff (negative), and still my stomach is not right since Sept......and because I read that the S Boulardii can become a problem in itself, I am now selling all my Primal Defense because it was suggested to me that in fact it could be the Primal Defense giving me the stomach problems, because the gas, stomach aches, constipation alternating with loose or very loose (not diarrhea hardly at all when I stopped the ketek), come and go even when NOT on abx now.

I just don't know if the ketek started the stomach problems off, or if it is a different problem altogether, or a side effect of taking too much Primal Defense, I was taking quite a lot.

DLL

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Still feeling good on ketek wife too 2/2/06GoundHog Day. up for weekenders since iam not going to be around friday.

--------------------

Newbie Links

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth Ketek was the first abx to totally trash my stomach.

It produced some wicked herx's and think if my stomach had held out I would have made more progress.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Wife and I still pretty good on Ketek todays date2/06/06.I have some low back pain today may have slept wrong.
Up for the week.

--------------------

Newbie Links

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

I'm entering week three of my third round of Ketek (did April-Sept, Oct-Nov previously but had to stop due to stomach problems). Despite that, the Ketek has helped me a lot and even though I've had long breaks, I have not gone back to the beginning.

So far it's going OK. My stomach is still sporadically unhappy, but it has been going on like that for months now whether I'm on abx or not it seems.

DLL

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on antibotics since 2000.

The only time my liver enzymes elevated was due to gullbladder issues.

I have been on Ketek since..... fall of 04 ...not sure the exact month.

I have made great improvements... although I am still disabled... I have been making a steady progression towards reclaiming my life.... I am confident that Ketek will give me my life back.

I take 800mg once a day. My llmd checks my liver and whatnot regurarly.

Without antibotics I would still be sleeping my life away and by now the pain would be so bad I would be paralyzed ... I could barely walk for a few periods of time....... so I have been close to being paralyzed already.....

I am definetely willing to take the risk to get my life back.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im pretty out of it this week, second week of my two weeks on with ketex. tomorrow I start my two weeks off. Very brain foggy, tired, etc..... Does this make your vision worse ? Or is it my imagination. Anyway, definate worse vision, maybe Im getting older. Went to my llmd yesterday, lost another pound, teperature of 95.5, BP of 80/60, pulse of 60. Results back fron blood draw I did last week, slightly low white blood cells, anemia gone, other things slightly too high or too low, but I did have slightly high liver number. This is a new one for me. But, it is barely out of range. fourty something. So, I will keep cycling 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and we will keep monitering it.
Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by mountainmoma:
Im pretty out of it this week, second week of my two weeks on with ketex. tomorrow I start my two weeks off. Very brain foggy, tired, etc..... Does this make your vision worse ? Or is it my imagination. Anyway, definate worse vision, maybe Im getting older. Went to my llmd yesterday, lost another pound, teperature of 95.5, BP of 80/60, pulse of 60. Results back fron blood draw I did last week, slightly low white blood cells, anemia gone, other things slightly too high or too low, but I did have slightly high liver number. This is a new one for me. But, it is barely out of range. fourty something. So, I will keep cycling 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off and we will keep monitering it.

Yes it can effect vision temporarly sounds like your herxing too. Watch eyes for any yellowing and skin too.

ketek info

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

up this week

--------------------

Newbie Links

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Well, I'm doing OK as far as the ketek's concerned, have not had a return of the diarrhea (yet anyway)

........but I do find it hard to tell if there is any herxing as I am doing 4 days on, 3 days off. Especially as for two weeks now I have had very very sore and swollen tonsil 'stubs' (tonsils were taken out, but have kind of stubs there), bit of ear ache and generally feel run down and awful. At first I thought it's a herx, but then as it's gone on and on and on without change even on my 3 days OFF ketek a week, I don't know. I think if it was a herx, it would let up on my days off.

How are you doing yourself Treepatrol?

treepatrol
Member # 4117

As of today 2/15/06 I have slight pain in left ankle and have some strange low low key pains wierd not like a herx or at least not any I have had before?
Teeth are jumpy cold or hot water this was a big key to my wifes herx's before I never really had teeth pain?
My last blood test levels okay except my uric acid is high gout? probaly a result of me drinking diet caffiene free pepsi and just switching and sticking to atkins diet induction phase all this jumps up.

Now Iam trying to add the right carbs with alkalizing effects and I cut out the diet pop.

Also my Dr has me getting blood tests every month now while on ketek watching liver closely.

My last 3 blood pressures were high 157/90 158/90 this one at last visit was down to normal 120/70. Anyhow I also am experiancing quick rage like temper reactions?

But Iam again under a great deal of stress . Prayers allways appreciated.

ps I forgot I have had the thumpity thump thump in my heart a couple of times to. I got that symptom about a year ago.
Since being on ketek its happened a couple of times?

[ 15. February 2006, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------

Newbie Links

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek helped me tremendously. I felt very good on it, never had any problems with my stomach, gut or liver.

It is prescribed in Germany since 2001 and has been prescribed worldwide about 4 million times, in the meantime.

It is known that it metabolizes via the liver but so do other abx. As to the three reported cases of liver damage: I find it very strange that not only

- all 3 cases occurred in the US, but
- all 3 cases happened in North Carolina and not enough
- all 3 cases happened in the Medical Center in Charlotte

I really wonder how such a coincidence could happen. The doctors there must have done something wrong with these patients. Just my opinion.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle:
Ketek helped me tremendously. I felt very good on it, never had any problems with my stomach, gut or liver.

It is prescribed in Germany since 2001 and has been prescribed worldwide about 4 million times, in the meantime.

It is known that it metabolizes via the liver but so do other abx. As to the three reported cases of liver damage: I find it very strange that not only

- all 3 cases occurred in the US, but
- all 3 cases happened in North Carolina and not enough
- all 3 cases happened in the Medical Center in Charlotte Medical Center in Charlotte

I really wonder how such a coincidence could happen. The doctors there must have done something wrong with these patients. Just my opinion.

Gabrielle

Thanks Gabrielle
Yeah [Big Grin] thats interesting.

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Telithromycine and
myasthenia gravis

Spain -- The Spanish Medicines Agency, in line
with other Agencies of the European Union, has
announced the urgent modification to the data
sheet information concerning administration of
telithromycine (Ketek�) in myasthenia gravis
patients. Telithromycine is a semi-synthetic
substance derived from erythromycin marketed in
the European Union since July 2001. Its use is
limited to adults for treatment of community
acquired pneumonia, severe bronchitis or sinusitis.

For patients over 12 years of age, it is also
indicated in group A streptococcal pharyngitis and
tonsillitis when beta lactam antibiotics are not
considered appropriate.

Eight cases (one fatal) of exacerbation of
myasthenia gravis have been reported in association
with use of telithromycine. Symptoms reported
were exacerbation of muscular weakness,
dyspnoea, and acute pulmonary failure within a
few hours of administration.

The mechanism of action causing worsening of
myasthenia gravis is unknown, but cases have
been reported in association with aminoglycoside,
macrolide antibiotics, and certain fluoroquinolones.

The following points are brought to the attention
of prescribers:
1. Given the severity of risk, telithromycine is not
indicated in myasthenia gravis patients unless
alternative treatment is not available.

2. Myasthenia gravis patients using telithromycine
should be closely monitored and should report
immediately to their physician any worsening of
symptoms. Treatment should be discontinued
in such cases.
Reference: No. 2003/05, 23 April 2003. http:/
www.msc.es/agemed

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Wife off ketek as of 2/19/06

Reason she has a hive like rash all over pretty much arms hands,under breasts,belly butt,and inner thighs, and feet now tuesday started on feet.

Itchy burny rash started little white bumps turning red. Also has yeast infection which is calming down,but rash does respond to beydryl cream also we have been eating lots of cashews and some peanuts.

Benydryl cram only last a couple of hours.

We arnt sure llmd and me if its the peanuts cashews or ketek, or yeast so off ketek and I increased acidophilis and getting diflucan for yeast tonight.

Iam doing good on it sofar.

Heres more on wife rash link

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=041491

[ 24. February 2006, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 5 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for more responces updates anybody still on it?? How you doing?

--------------------

Newbie Links

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Still on it. Still doing OK.
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

I take it two weeks on, then two weeks off.

I just started today on my two weeks taking it. So, we'll see how it goes.

I have been doing very good on my break time. I just came back from 3 days in tahoe skiing with the kids. And, no, Im not skiing like I used to. Im very skilled in skiing, so it doesnt take alot for me to follow an 8yr old down the bunny slope. And the middle day I didnt do anything. And, yes, I have some soreness and tiredness, Im not getting much done now that Im home. BUT, nothing like how bad I expected it would be. Im thrilled realy.

Im expecting to herx and feel like **** this time next week cause the ketex and artemisinin are now added in my mix. Ill let you know how it goes.

But, if I keep getting slowly better, I can handle the herxing I get pulsing.

mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

I agree that yeast overgowths easily on Ketex.
2manyticks
Member # 8869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2manyticks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had (have?) nuerological lyme - lots of memory problems, confusion, anxiety and fatigue, but minimal or no joint pain. I did about 2 years of treatment progressing thru doxy to augmentin to omnicef, bicillan, biaxicin,zithromax and flagyl in various combos. I felt consistenly bad, worse than before I'd started antibiotics. But since i've had literally hundreds of tick bites, and positive test results, I kept going.

At the end of all this I took Ketek for about 6 weeks along with amoxicillan, IM rocephin (4 times a week), and Flagyl (3 days a week). This is the most abx I have ever taken at the same time during my 2 year treatmnet. I felt pretty bad, but the addition of Ketek to this brew seemed to cause the worst symptoms. The visual stuff was bad. I had a hard time focusing, blurry, and dizzy. Each eye was focusing differently at different times.

I ran out of Rocephin after 6 weeks on this regime, and my
#@!&! insurance company would not pay for more. But since I'd developed a super bad case of candida everywhere, I decided to stop all the antibiotics, and went on diflucan alone, plus lots of probiotics, for about 33 days.

On the diflucan I got even worse. Maybe the worst herx I had in 2 years. I couldn't walk in a straight line, no energy, super high anxiety but no energy, I could not be around people, or bright light. I couldn't think straight or keep track of anything. After that i stopped all antibiotics

That was 7 months ago. I gradually began to feel better and I now I feel really good. Better than I've felt in years. I wish I knew what finally made me better me, but as I'd taken a lot of amoxicillan with no change, I'm guessing it was either the Rocephin or the Ketek.(The vision problems I blamed on the Ketek have resolved gradually.)

Or mperhaps it was the Diflucan? I have heard of a European doctor who claims to have cured himself and his patients from lyme with diflucan. And also, I think the diflucan was responsible for giving me the scariest herx I ever had. But who knows maybe it was a yeast die off.?

Has anybody else tried the Diflucan treatment for lyme?

Posts: 2 | From Northern California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Wife made a trip to emergency room couldnt get her breath they ran tests and everything looked good ?

They gave her a pill called Ativan that completly took care of it.
I think she had a anxiety attack?
The rash was going away the night before but her lips swelled a little trouble breathing then the next day worked herself into a frizzy couldnt catch her breath.

Anyway shes better now rash is almost all gone no itching either. So is the yeast infection no burning during urinating. It either was yeast or the cashews she was shovaling down for a week. I dont think itwas the ketek. will see 2/27/06

[ 28. February 2006, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------

Newbie Links

surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to stop ketek. Been on it for about a month. It is just too toxic for my liver. Liver lab values are OK but I feel so toxic on it. Like when I've been on diflucan. I hate to stop because it has been working so well. The only antibiotic that has cut through the fatigue.
I am going to work on my liver health first and then maybe try it again at a later date.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by surg:
I had to stop ketek. Been on it for about a month. It is just too toxic for my liver. Liver lab values are OK but I feel so toxic on it. Like when I've been on diflucan. I hate to stop because it has been working so well. The only antibiotic that has cut through the fatigue.
I am going to work on my liver health first and then maybe try it again at a later date.

Maybe you could get some milk thistle its one of the things ilads says can help?

--------------------

Newbie Links

happygranny
Member # 8779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygranny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This board is full of lots of useful interesting information, and I am just now starting to post here.

I started Ketek 400 mgs 2 x day and Flagyl 500 mgs 2 x day on Nov 23rd.

It is interseting to read so many people having stomach problems because one of the 1st things I noticed is a huge reduction in acid reflux. I now only take pantaloc once in a while. I can now eat raw fruit and tomato dishes - haven't done that in a while.

After 3 months of these ABX my LLMD took me off Flagyl.

I did feel bloating which has gone now that I am off Flagyl.

Herxing big time in the first week and frequently since. Right now the pain is the worse part of my herxing symptoms. Really painful skin and muscles in my extremities. The last few days have been especially bad for pain and fatigue. I feel like my blood sugar is 0.

I have taken flucozonol and nystatin in pulses. Liver enzymes okay so far.

My pain med of choice has been tylenol 3, but now that the pain is so bad, I am not comfortable taking that much Tylenol 3s and today asked my GP for Neurontin. Hopefully this bad pain is herx-related and will settled down soon.

Because I have not tested positive for Lyme (Elisa test in Canada) and tested low for Ehlichiosis and Rocky Mtn, my GP is not convinced I have Lyme, and thinks my increased pain/fatigue is FMS and CFS related.

The LLMD doctor who gave me a clinical DX of Lyme in Nov is in BC and I live in Manitoba, so I don't see him as often as I should. His support is essential to my state of mind.

So, at this point I think Ketek is not hurting me, and although I have not had a lot of improvement in symptoms since starting the ABX in Nov, I am determined to keep at it for another month or so and re-evaluate at that time.

Thanks for being here,

happygranny

--------------------
Dxd clinical Nov 05 - March 08 tested low pos. from Igenex Started Bicillin/Flagyl Oct 2008 was on Ketek Tinidazole prior -
PN, concentration low, tinnitus, PVCs, sore lymph nodes, hair loss, joint pain with some swelling, muscle tenderness.

Posts: 56 | From Manitoba | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by happygranny:
This board is full of lots of useful interesting information, and I am just now starting to post here.

I started Ketek 400 mgs 2 x day and Flagyl 500 mgs 2 x day on Nov 23rd.

It is interseting to read so many people having stomach problems because one of the 1st things I noticed is a huge reduction in acid reflux. I now only take pantaloc once in a while. I can now eat raw fruit and tomato dishes - haven't done that in a while.

After 3 months of these ABX my LLMD took me off Flagyl.

I did feel bloating which has gone now that I am off Flagyl.

Herxing big time in the first week and frequently since. Right now the pain is the worse part of my herxing symptoms. Really painful skin and muscles in my extremities. The last few days have been especially bad for pain and fatigue. I feel like my blood sugar is 0.

I have taken flucozonol and nystatin in pulses. Liver enzymes okay so far.

My pain med of choice has been tylenol 3, but now that the pain is so bad, I am not comfortable taking that much Tylenol 3s and today asked my GP for Neurontin. Hopefully this bad pain is herx-related and will settled down soon.

Because I have not tested positive for Lyme (Elisa test in Canada) and tested low for Ehlichiosis and Rocky Mtn, my GP is not convinced I have Lyme, and thinks my increased pain/fatigue is FMS and CFS related.

The LLMD doctor who gave me a clinical DX of Lyme in Nov is in BC and I live in Manitoba, so I don't see him as often as I should. His support is essential to my state of mind.

So, at this point I think Ketek is not hurting me, and although I have not had a lot of improvement in symptoms since starting the ABX in Nov, I am determined to keep at it for another month or so and re-evaluate at that time.

Thanks for being here,

happygranny

The reduction in acid reflux may be because the flagyl and ketek killed the bacteria that cause ulcers {Helicobacter}.

I know I no longer get heartburn after being on abx's for starting 5th year.

Only had heartburn on doxy you have to drink plenty of water when on abx's.

--------------------

Newbie Links

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Iam off ketek and feel pretty good sofar

--------------------

Newbie Links

crazychris
Member # 7384

Icon 10 posted      Profile for crazychris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Ketek for about a month. This is my third abx - and this one gave me one heck of a herx! I had 4 days where I was miserable. I have not had any belly problems with Ketek, but my hips and knees are still aching. NP says that I am still possibly herxing and that the Ketek really gets into the joints and goes after the buggers.
Overall I am pleased with Ketek, I would like for the pain to stop, but I assume that the pain is equalling healing.

Posts: 66 | From Texas | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 14 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still on ketek.... still improving

- no side effects

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Ok, I finished another two week on round of KEtex last friday. Last wed they did a blood draw, and I just got a message from my daughter that the doctor called yesterday and my liver numbers are high.

Actually, they have been up-for me-since aug., but still in the proper range. I will have to call tomorrow to see what they are and what this means. All my daughter said was that the message was to go in weekly for blood draws, so I guess I go to the lab tomorrow.

I had already checked with my doctor and got agreement to take an ABX break while I did anticandida measures and started trying metal detox.

I guess I'll also do no diflucan. Not sure about what else might be bad for this.

Also, usually the insomnia and dreams go away when I stop the Ketex, but not this time.

mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Up to see how every one else is doing. Liver numbers are AST 71 and ALT is 78, I called today.
luvswz
Member # 8782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvswz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with Luv2Ride.

I took Ketek 800mg once a day with Ceftin 500mg twice a day for ONE month only. My intestinal lining was shredded immediately. With the addition of Plaquenil 200mg twice a day, my entire digestive system shut down...absolutely no appetite and could hardly force water into my mouth...for days. I also developed black tongue.

Upon removal of Ketek, eating returned to normal. Black tongue also disappeared after about 2 weeks. No longer observe intestinal lining coming out.

Ketek is too strong of an abx for me.

Posts: 43 | From New York City | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Read info in this link not looking good:

Ketek and Levaquin: a dangerous combination? Yes also details on Bad data used in trials FDA really NOT doing its job

--------------------

Newbie Links

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Treepatrol,

Are you still taking Ketek?

DLL

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement