LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody have petruchia (little red dots on skin)??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody have petruchia (little red dots on skin)??
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc said these red dots i have are called petruchia. somebody help me out here with spelling please.

they're said to be proof positive for lyme, or as he said, no doubt about it. well my mom has them all over her body and i don't know if she's got lyme or not. nobody else in family has them tho.

will they ever go away, maybe with anti treatment?

they sure are unslightly, itch a little but really don't bother me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them too, on the trunk of my body, my thighs,and some on my upper arms. They usually happen when my blood pressure spikes, and then take months to fade away. Some stay forever.

I was told they were due to capillary fragillity. That sounded like a typical duck dx to me....a symptom, not a cause.

I can't spell it either, but I think it might be pettechiae.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called petechiae. I know there have been posts about it in the past. In rare cases, it can be the symptom of a blood disorder called ITP which has low platelet count. I think it's a pretty easy test.

But I get it, and my platelet count is fine. It did worsen when I started antibiotics. I'm not sure if it was the abx or that I took a blood thinner at first to help the abx get deeper.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Naomi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Naomi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get them too...and my llmd also said its caused by the lyme.

--------------------
www.xanga.com/naomijoy

Posts: 276 | From Boston, MA, UsA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TickSick
Member # 1073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TickSick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them too, particularly on my lower legs and around my ankles (along with swelling).
Posts: 45 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had them my whole life (but have only had Lyme for 3 years).

My father who is extremely healthy and has no lyme has them, also.

I believe they are partially caused by genetics)redheads in particular get more of them).

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8887 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

my new doc just called this afternoon. they took 5 vials of blood at the appointment.

she said all bloodwork was normal. i asked what it was and she said, cbc, count, thyroid, ammonia levels, liver enzymes, and something else.

i asked about the lyme tests and she said they haven't come back yet.

my mom has had these most of her life and is in pretty good health for a 83 year old. yep, she was a readhead in her youth.

Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled it and found this good info
Ann - OH

[quote]
Definition of Petechiae

Petechiae: Pinpoint flat round red spots under the skin surface caused by intradermal hemorrhage (bleeding into the skin).

Petechiae are red because they contain red blood that has leaked from the capillaries into the skin.

Petechiae are quite tiny (less than 3 millimeters in diameter) and do not blanch when pressed upon.

There are many conditions in which petechiae may be seen.
These conditions range from very minor to very major.
The common causes of petechiae include
local injury and trauma,
allergic reactions,
autoimmune diseases,
viral infections that impair blood coagulation (clotting),
thrombocythemia (an abnormally high platelet level),
certain medical treatments such as radiation and chemotherapy,
idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP), leukemia and other bone marrow malignancies that may lower the number of platelets,
and sepsis (bloodstream infection).

Petechiae are commonly seen right after birth in the newborn and after violent vomiting or coughing.

Drugs such as the anticoagulants warfarin (Coumadin) or heparin, aspirin, and cortisone can also cause petechiae.

Common Misspellings: petechia, petecchiae

[end quote]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had them for years....have had lyme for years.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had them since onset of flu-like I'm dying illness in July 99.

They are always on me. Arms, legs, stomach, back and I suspect the butterfly like rash on my face is also just petechiae rash.

They do become more pronounced after a detox bath or being in the sun.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chroniclymie
Unregistered

i've asked 5 llmd's about these red bumps aka petecchia (plural) and every one has told me they are normal. i told them they increase with lyme progression but they all say it is not from lyme or babs.
it was mentioned many times on lymenet that this is proof positive for babs, but is it not true.
i have an increasing number at age 52 and negative babs tests for 6 years, with positive lymew test with treatment for 6 years.
most doctors call them age spots due to fractured capillaries under the skin. as you get older the skin is more frialbe and weeker ,also capillaries get weaker hench these spots, spider veins and varicose veins all fall in the same category.
docdave

ebrischoux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebrischoux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc)have these and they do not have lyme.....They got more pronounced during pregnancy for all the females in my family...
Posts: 127 | From Rock Tavern, New York | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had them when I first got extremely ill. They

would appear on my legs in circular groupings

around bruises that would spontaneously just

appear on my legs without ever hitting them on

something.

One month into treatment after treating babesia

with mepron and zith...they disappeared and have

not come back since.

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them. My doctor said that she sees them in patients with fluid retention.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi-i would really like to know the names of docs who say they(red dots..pett______) are a sign of lyme. again my doc said no and he is one of the orig llmds...are other llmds saying they are a sign? if so...could you email me their names so i could tell my doc. i am [email protected] i've been around a long time and know most of the "old" llmds. i don't think dr b mentions them ...does he? actually i remember (well i thought i did) that they were a sign of babs...but i'd just like to know where the research is...mine are getting worse along with other symptoms and i think i am going to start tx again after 5 yrs off. thanks.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Lpkayak,

It wasn't my LLMD that told me they are a sign of lyme but a veterinarian...well he didn't tell me...but he took one look at my legs and then told me he felt strongly I had lyme....

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=031710#000001

A lot of people have had them here

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many times when this topic comes up people are confusing their rashes. There is nothing normal about a petechiae rash.

You don't one day wake up and have a serious illness that scares the daylights out of you and soon after be covered in thousands of these tiny blood spots all over your body and then think the two are in no way connected.

I don't claim to know whys of this type rash. I just know there must be something that happened at the cell level that caused these blood dots to explode 6 yrs ago and have never disappeared because something is still in me or that something caused some disorder that hasn't been corrected yet.

Rashes are usually way down the list when it comes to sx of this illness. Well, except the bulls eye. That seems to get people's attention. This sx doesn't cause pain or relate to the hundreds of other serious sx we have. Or does it?

As Dr C used to tell me. When research gets down to the nitty gritty on the cellular level of these TBI, only then will there be hope of finding a true CURE.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these on my lower legs. The muscles under them are tight and sore.

I've shown them to every doctor I've seen for the past four years. The rash is worse on my left leg, which is also the side with the Lyme knee.

It started with unexplained bruises on my ankles. And my ankles swelled. I thought it was an allergy to weeds or fertilizer, as I was working outside at the time.

The best explanation I've gotten is that it's an immune response to SOMETHING. That was from my rheumatolgist. Who missed the Lyme diagnosis.

I have very fair skin and it's always been sensitive.

But my mom had this, too, and her skin was olive-toned. She had RA.

Perhaps when healthy people have it, it's a remnant of an immune reaction, the tendancy to get it being genetic.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

the doc i was going to at the time was dr. m in bedford, texas. he took one look at them and said you have lyme. but my mom has them all over and she does not have lyme, however, she has high blood pressure and bad arthritis.
spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them too. Worse after bath or shower.
Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there any images of this rash someone could put up here? I cant find any.
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get these as well, usually after a shower. But they didn't last too long.

Since starting babs tx, I don't get them anymore. I never tested positive for babs but did have lots of the symptoms.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

please let me clarify. this is NOT a rash. these are small dots that appear in separate places on my body. there is no surrounding red area. just like a teeny, weeny red dot. it won't come off with scratching and believe me, i've tried and it bleeds like crazy, so i stopped.

i've had several doctors say they are hereditary, nothing to worry about. but this one llmd took one look and told me that since i only had one plus at 39 and 41 that i was seriously, seriously ill with lyme (course i didn't feel that bad!!). i mean that man scared the poop out of me....... he said they were indicative of late stage very severe lyme.

cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dr. told me they are part of an infectious process. Be it lyme or some other infection.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them on my chest.

I have had mastitius several times over the couple of years of treatment and I get a rash around my chest when I get hot outside--which is really weird looking--even creeped my doc out.

Doc keeps asking me if I got bit on my chest...don't remember...

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement