LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » herxing from my BATH salts??(Batherapy)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: herxing from my BATH salts??(Batherapy)
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 2 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a new one for me. But I just made a connection--

BATHERAPY--

the spa-like salts that you add to a hot bath--the green one. I just bought a new jug of it and I am in SOOOOOOOO much pain after my bath with it in it.

I havent used that much of it since my LAST reallllly bad herx----more than a month ago.

I soak in epsom salts every night and I take at least one other hot plain bath a day == 2 baths a day--one plain, the other salts.

Do you think the stuff in BATHERAPY could cause an immediate herx?

Here are the ingredients:
sodium sesquicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, sodium chloride, sodium lauryl sulfate, water(aqua), fragrance(parfum), Lithium chloride, sulfur, potassium iodide, chlorophyllin.

My legs are on FIRE and my muscles are cramping and my arm feels like I shattered my elbow with a sledge hammer. I also have a bad headache.

It should NOT be my herx time--it should be over according to my cycles.

Anyone want to comment?

[ 09. March 2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: trails ]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i definitely am no expert but from that list, man, that's a lot of salt.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey trails

I don't know about the other ingredients but could you be reacting to the fragrance(Parfum) in it?

Just a thought.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked up parfum--it is the french spelling of Perfume??? and it seems to be a strong perfume too!

It is so WRONG that they dont tell you what exactly it IS!

YIKES!!! I freakin HATE perfume, but I had thought this was a nice smell--not a perfume--I thought it was from an HERB...had no idea it was some sort of perfume.

This is very very strange.

WOuld I get a worsening of PAIN and lyme symptoms because of the perfume? The headaches, I can understand, the muscle pain and nerve pain and muscle spasms--doesnt make sense to me.

More thanks so far everyone!!

--more comments?

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you but I do get a worsening of my lyme symptoms from fragrance & perfumes.

This has triggered headaches, muscle aches and dizzyness, and nausea.

If I had taken a hot soak in perfumes I'd be in a sorry state.

make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This stuff is used very widely in "alternative" circles. It is sold in health food stores and it has been talked about here and on most other boards that deal with aches and pains.

I cant find a single person who had a negative reaction to it so far.

It is NOT perfume really--coz I would DIE if I soaked in perfume---I can't even be in the same building with perfume wearers. It makes me gag and get headaches and nausea too...but not muscle spasms and nerve pain.

I wrote to the company via email and asked exactly what is in their PARFUM. We'll see if I get a reply!

Banks
Member # 8894

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Banks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont think its the perfum, if you had a very hot bath it can 'wake up' your borries and it would be a herx. thats why i go to the sauna and try to bath as hot as possible to get them all so they will DIE!!!!
Posts: 21 | From Detroit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

I totally agree Banks--that is why I take so many baths and try to stay in there as long as possible. Plus I love hot water--have lived with hot springs and just can't get enough hot water.

BUT---I dont really ever herx like this right out of the bath----I mean, I sometimes get a small flare--but this is VERY bad and VERY painful and has lasted until the present moment.

up for more discussion....

trails
Member # 1620

double post
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may herx from ABX.

When you bath the bugs are not killed so it cannot be herx by definition.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Right Areneli! Although I did think that there was some research--that touches on raising core body temp and die off of Bb?

However, people get flares in sx from detoxing....this is b/c you are moving the toxins thru???

Is it my Lyme brain? WHy cant I hold this info in here?

Sorry and thanks!

Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this stuff. They make it in Lavender and Sports formulas, too.

If you ARE already herxing, raising yuor body temp can help to kill more germs, I think. But since you don't think you WERE?

It's pretty mild smelling, I totally hate perfume, too, and I like the smell of this. Did you use more than usual?

I know I can't use anything with Rose or Rose oil in it--my skin turns bright red.

Of course, you can develop new sensitivities at any time. You seem to have had a pretty bad reaction.

Sorry--I don't really have an answer. Maybe you DID provoke a herx. Guess you'll just have to get brave and try the stuff again. [Wink]

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just come to realize in the couple months that I am very chemically effected. It brings on all types of neurological problems for me including extreme pain in hands and feet.

Before, when I was so ill all the time I couldn't detect things that effected me. Now I know when some sx start up again that I've done something to upset the apple cart, so to speak.

I was feeling so good in Nov & Dec, I started doing deep house cleaning, arts & crafts, painting etc. I was not using any chemical safety smarts at all.

Boy I paid big time. Just this week I realized one of my scented candles is causing neuro stuff.

It might be a couple ingredients in this combo that you are sensitive to.

Take care, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6479 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
santa_pax
Member # 8318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for santa_pax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails,

Do you mean you DONT have herx-feeling from epsom salts bath or a plain bath....only from this BATHERAPY product?

This post caught my eye bc I get a severe "immediate herx" reaction from a hot bath with either epsom salts or just plain sea salts.

I dont know what causes it. But my muscles spasm ferociously after such a bath and I get so weak and dizzy, I can hardly stand up without collapsing.

I just assumed that this unpleasantness is doing some good......that either the bacteria hates heat, or that my body is purging some toxins due to the heat and the salts. (It better be doing some good, or I am tormenting myself for nuthin!).

I guess if you dont "herx" from a plain hot water bath, it MUST be the product you add.

Posts: 58 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

I am liking the discussion here folks---learning and trying to understand. Thanks so much for your replies and thoughts.

This was the original formula --the green salts. I do not like the lavender formula---I found that scent too strong for me. I love lavender otherwise, though.

I dont really HERX from hot baths and epsom salts baths. I sometimes feel weak and sometimes feel like I am moving toxins thru, but I dont get worsening of muscle cramps and pain, headaches and dizziness that lasts for longer than an hour.

So -- I guess I only get it with the Batherapy salts.

I will have to try another bath in about a week and see to test it out huh?

Or else it is super high dose of the salts--it sort of is, if you look at ingedients---and this gets into me deeper and causes toxic movement/flushing--ie--worsening of symptoms??

I like this stuff A LOT and have used it for years too. I may have put a bit more than usual in this bath though.....

Still having worsening of symptoms...pain, muscle cramps/lump feelings, joint pain, razor blade feelings in my muscles/ nerve pains, headaches, dizziness. BRAIN FOG FOG FOG.

Keep any thoughts flowing here---I welcome all points of view except hurtful comments.
Thanks!
Trails

Banks
Member # 8894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Banks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its right what some answered: the spirochetes dont like it hot so they start moving and get into the blood where the ABx kill them! unfortunately we cant heat up our body inside over 40C to kill them easily LOL
does anybody else tries the sauna in connection with ABx??

Posts: 21 | From Detroit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything about this wretched disease drives me crazy.

It's so hard to figure out cause and effect. Our bodies, nervous systems, immune systems react to our environment in an abnormal way.

I felt fine yesterday until I took my antibiotic after dinner. I spent the night cramping and tweaking and twitching and buzzing. What the hey? The dose I took yesterday morning didn't make me that sick.

I've noticed feeling worse after a hot bath (heat feels so good) that I may have a more tired and achy day. I mean seriously A BATH. It's absurd. [Frown]

Too bad the things we do to feel better take so long to make us feel better. Curse those **** ******* spirochetes!!

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

When all else fails I look at my diet and concentrate on detox.

Did you add any new supps or herbs to your brew?

I don't know what else to say except that lyme can wax and wane on it's own without doing much else.

Make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

Hang in there

--------------------
5dana8

robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails .... here's an unsolicited opinon .... sorry I am full of them.

Sodium laural sulfates are not a harmless chemical. Not saying thats what your reacting to but I would not soak in the stuff.

http://www.jasoncosmetics.com/sodium_lauryl_sulfate.html

http://www.natural-health-information-centre.com/sls-health-implications.html

I try to look at the toxicity of anything I put on my body through this website.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/

They have a personal shopping list where you can check off the type of product you want and it will suggest the least toxic products in that category.
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep2/advanced.php

Since we are already toxic , I figure it is best to not add to the load.

Be well,
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement