LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Essential Oils (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Essential Oils
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if essential oils can be helpful?
Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Snow

There's a biochemist in my area. He helps patients with diet and health, especially cancer patients.

He's a big proponent of oils, as is my acupuncturist.

I have to say that, so far, I haven't experienced the miracle type things some people talk about...\

But the biochemist gave me a formula for a wonderful bath soak that is supposed to be both detoxing and restorative.

I mix this up in a small jar. And, no, I'm not a doctor (or biochemist either, for that matter). But ths is a really lovely mix and does just what he said it would:

2 T. Sea salt
2 T. epson salt
3 T. baking soda
4 drops of sage oil
3 drops grapefruit oil
3 drops lavender and
4 drops petitgrain

I have also tried rubbing appropriate essential oil mixtures on my temples, and some on trouble spots on my body (numbness).

Maybe it's me, but I honestly hvaen't noticed that this makes much of a difference.

I'll be interested to hear about others' experiences.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used MANY MANY oils during my path to recovery. I can't say they cured me, but many of them offered relief from a variety of symptoms like no other. I've written many times about it, but no one seems to care.

Essential oils cured my sleep issues, got me over the dizzies and panic I used to get in big spaces or during times of stress, and lemon oil fixed my PH. Peppermint oil addressed the cranial nerve issues I had (that showed themselves as droopy tired eyes). Other oils have helped with sore achey muscles.

PM me if you want to know more.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the oils are doing wonders for people.
I have a friend who got rid of her Morgellon problems with ozonated Rizol oils from Germany.

There is a wonderful little Pocket Referenence book by Essential Science Publishing for about $12. It tells everything about the oils; how to use them, for which purpose, etc.

Also be sure you stick with the most cleanly extracted oils. Quality is super important. They are very potent.

I could not use them because my autonomic nervous system was so out of balance that I could not tolerate even the slightest odor - whether pleasant or not. They just overpowered my whole body. Dr. K. was quite sad about that. One drop I would smell it for a week and smell nothing else besides it. So you want to be paying attention to that. Many Lymies have a problem with that. Hopefully you don't.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snowboarder,

There is a member here named farah. She is an acupuncturist and used oils extensively to heal herself from Lyme. Here is a link: http://www.yinessence.com/page/page/229640.htm

If you scroll down, you will see a section where she talks about treating with oils.

Hope this helps,
robi

[ 19. March 2006, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: robi ]

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone! I really felt essential oils could be soemthing good to try and have heard the quality is very important.
Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snowboarder,

Essential oils were the most important factor in my recovery. I used other therapies, but they were the cornerstone of my treatment.

They are very potent. The molecules in the oils are small enough so they pass directly into the bloodstream through the skin, and the molecules are small enough so that they penetrate the blood brain barrier.

The oils vary in function, but many are strongly antibacterial. Many chelate toxins out of the body.

The oils generally promote greater oxygenation of the body, which in itself can be a big factor in treating Lyme.

Many are antifungal, antiviral, and antiprotozoal, and have potential to treat all sorts of co-infections.

Most of the oils increase white blood cell count and increase the body's immune response. A number of oils help the endocrine system balance hormones, which can help with Lyme, too, since many people's endocrine systems go into a tailspin with this disease.

The oils, because they cross the blood-brain barrier, can really help with neuropsychiatric symptoms. Some oils, like lavender, can really help with the insomnia from Lyme.

Many oils can help with brain fog, depression, and anxiety. The good thing about the oils is that each oil tends to have an impact on Lyme in a number of different ways.

Combining oils makes the treatment even more multifaceted in terms of how the oils can treat this disease. This is important, because Lyme disease is so multifaceted.

I really think essential oils are one of the best weapons that are widely available in our arsenal as we fight against this crazy(and crazymaking) disease. I think they are really important weapons against all sorts of emerging diseases.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order for the essential oils to work for Lyme disease, they need to be used in higher concentrations than are typically used.

Essential oils are always diluted in a carrier oil before being used. Higher concentrations massively improve the effectiveness of treatment.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this post!

I will go check out the yinessence site for more info.....

I have tons of the oils languishing here - I don't know why I didn't think to put them to use with the Lyme problem.........

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Farah,

Thanks, as always, for your post. Is there a book you can recommend that sorts out the properties of the various oils (and/or combinations of oils)?

I've got some oils here but I'm sure I'm not using them as well as I possibly could.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

I like books by Valerie Ann Worwood as a primer to get to know all the ways to use essential oils.

The best books on using essential oils for infectious diseases have been written by medical doctors in France. They are in French and are still untranslated.

Most aromatherapists generally recommend dilutions of 5%-10% essential oil to base carrier oil for most health problems.

For Lyme disease, generally a dilution of 15%-25% works better. It takes a little while to acclimate to using them at this concentration.

When I first started using them at these concentrations, I would have mild transient nauseous feelings.

I would reduce the amount I applied when I had these feelings. After a few days, the mild nauseous feeling went away.

I wouldn't use oils that are severely irritating to the skin in this way, such as cinnamon or clove.

I would apply the oils to areas where I would have symptoms and I would herx, and the symptoms would fade. Then the symptoms would frequently move to another area that I hadn't applied the oils to.

I felt like I would chase the disease around my body, but that the symptoms would fade in severity and the windows of time when I was well got wider and wider.

I started using the oils when my digestion could no longer tolerate antibiotics, I didn't have insurance, and didn't really know what else I could do to help myself.

I had tried the oils in normal amounts recommended in books by aromatherapists, and they didn't do anything for me.

I didn't know what to do or where to turn and my health went into a tailspin within a day of not taking antibiotics, and I was having a severe digestive crisis, among other issues.

In that state, I was like, what the hell, desperate times call for desperate measures. I rubbed thyme oil neet, meaning undiluted, on my head and my body (don't do this, it is extremely irritating to the skin undiluted and this is a very potent and fairly harsh oil).

And then my husband took me to the hospital. While we were in the waiting room of the ER, my fatigue and brain fog, and depression lifted, my severe excruciating pain started disappearing, and in about an hour I felt practically normal.

Of course, when the doctors finally saw me, I was acting okay. They gave me the line that if I had been on doxycycline for three weeks I was cured of Lyme Disease and couldn't have it any more.

And of course, did very little for me. They may have been wondering why I was so fragrant also. Even more reason to think I was a hypochondriac kooky nutcase.

Anyway, after my experience with thyme oil, I realized I was on to something, and it was something that wouldn't screw up my digestion further.

I started reading about other oils that had strong antibacterial effects, and I started blending the oils in higher concentrations, and I got good effects.

I used them to massage into my skin, and I used them daily in hot baths. I used mostly heat and essential oils at that juncture to get me out of the most severe stages of the illness.

Then I slowly tried Chinese herbs.

I took small amounts of antibiotics on and off over the years, mainly amoxillin (1000 mg/day)and minocycline(200mg/day, and then 100mg/day, and then 50mg/day). I did two weeks of IV rocephin when I briefly had insurance in 2003.

I found that the antibiotics mainly seemed to freeze the disease and prevent it from moving around my body so much, and this made it easier to kill bacteria using the oils, which I always kept using.

About two years ago, I started taking very small amounts of diluted essential oils orally (by the drop), sort of like people take oil of oregano, and have not needed to be on antibiotics at all since that. Taking these micro amounts helped to maintain a steady concentration of essential oils in my blood all the time.

I don't have to take the oils orally or through my skin most of the time now. Maybe I will use them minimally once a month before my period.

I take a some Chinese herbs that promote blood circulation on and off now. I take a few supplements, like niacin, and N-acetyl cysteine, chromium picolinate, flaxseed oil, lecithin and that is it.

I even forgot to take those for a while when I was in India, and I am doing well. I still stay very vigilant as I NEVER EVER want to have a serious relapse. I lead a normal and active life now.

I do a lot of work online, which makes it easy for me to regularly post here on this board.

Farah

efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone list the 3 best oils to start with (like oregano?) and how best to used them (oral, on skin, in bath?.

It sounds like some folks have had some fantastic results with these, but there is so much information it easy to get lost. Need something simple to start with.

Please tell us more!!!

Thanks, Ernie

Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banks
Member # 8894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Banks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oils are lovely to relax and to enjoy but there is no way you could miss out ABx, i had two births and i m not very sensitive, but the pain the lyme can cause is so very bad -especially at night- i dont think an oil does help if a highly dosed painkiller hardly works
Posts: 21 | From Detroit | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD introduced me to essentials oils as a way to help deal with some of my more bothersome symptoms. All the oils I use come from www.youngliving.com (I am not selling anything - but I do know when it comes to oils, you get what you pay for. These products are the purest out there).

Frankinscence is a great oil that relieves muscle pain. Just a drop or two on your hand and rub into the spot that's bothering you.

Sleep - I used 3 oils nightly. Two of the oils were combination oils, and one is a pure oil.

At bedtime:

Put one drop of Valor (a mixture of Juniper, Frankinscence) in your hand - rub into your toes on both feet. Then cup your hands over your nose and breathe in for 60 seconds.

Wait a few minutes: Repeat the process with another oil called Peace and Calming (a citrus mix).

Wait a few minutes: Put one drop of Jasmine (a pure oil) under your nose - any extra on your hand rub on shoulders. Cup hands over nose and breathe.

I've slept like a rock since day one of using this. I still use some just to calm me a bit. I typically put Valor or Peace and Calming on my toes before going to work (very stressful job).

For brainfog: Peppermint oil. Revives the senses and the brain. Put a drop on your finger and rub above each eyebrow. Cup your hands and breathe in.... so refreshing. Really wakes you up.

I used Peppermint oil in combo with Juniper and Geranium and Helichrysm for chronic tinntius around my ear area.

For changing PH: Lemon oil. Just add 9-10 drops in your water twice a day. It will make you more alkaline.

For post nasal drip: Grapefruit oil. Put in palm of hand, rub around neck area on sides. (Also smells WONDERFUL, and I find it very calming). Dries up the mucus membranes.

For yeast: Oil of Oregano - put 3 drops in size 00 capsule and take on empty stomach once a day. Or if you're brave, one drop under your tongue (warning - HOT HOT HOT. burns like hell).

For warding off colds/congestion, or plain old topical infections: Thieves oil. A MUST have. It's a mixture of clove oil. You stink like a ham, but this stuff kills ANYTHING.

For nausea: Ginger oil. Rub on stomach. Nausea gone in about 10 mins.

Young Living sells a wonderful reference book for about $40. Pretty much anything you can think of will be in there, but listed above is pretty much what I've used.

Hope you find this helpful. Again, I'm not selling anything, just sharing some of the things I've used to get well. BTW - I've been off antibiotics for over 16 months now, and live a pretty normal life, which is why I don't post too often these days.

Wishing you good health!!

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a word of caution -

Please do not use essential oils if you have pet birds. Due to differences in our respiratory system design, birds can't handle the exposure like mammals can.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Everybody,

To Banks: the essential oils control pain very differently than painkillers do.

When I was sick and treated myself, I came to realize that the pain caused by Lyme is mostly caused by presence of the bacteria in the painful areas.

The essential oils don't mask the pain, or play with opiate production in the body the way painkillers do.

The oils actually kill bacteria and increase the body's immune response to bacteria in the areas of pain when applied to those areas.

Because of that, it was extremely effective in controlling my pain. I am saying that mostly from my personal experience with the oils, using myself as a guinea pig, and seeing other people with Lyme that I know get similar results to me.

Also, the essential oils have well documented antibacterial properties.

To Ernie:

The oils I primarily used were Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lemon, Patchouli, Lavender, Geranium, and Thyme. I used Bay Laurel for lymph gland swelling, also. I sell ready made formula on my site, but all of these oils are widely available, and people can come up with effective blends themselves with these oils. Eucalyptus is also antimalarial and is likely to have effect against babesia.

The Young Living Oils are good, and they have good information on the use of essential oils, but they are very expensive.

It is important to respect the power of the oils and use them with care and caution. It helps to have a good book to know what the oils individually do.

If they aren't diluted they can irritate the skin. Certain oils are contraindicated for pregnant women and children. Different animals also process the oils differently.

Farah

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah, I have many, many of the Young Living oils - in fact, they are the only brand I am familiar with. I'm sure they are wonderful oils, but as you said, they are very expensive.

Could you suggest other quality oil brands with a smaller price tag, or perhaps list any brands that you believe may be inferior? It seems that there are many oils on the market today.

I'm getting excited about the oils again!

Thanks -

Tracy [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Oh, I forgot......

Does anyone have suggestions for putting oils on your own back or spine?

Thanks -

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful for those like myself that have smell sensitivites.

It can produce a change reaction of symptoms for me.

I use some oils on the bottom of my feet. And then put on a heavy sock so I don't have to smell it.

This works well with things like oregano oils or anyting smelly too. The feet are supposed to be very poruous.

Take care and hope this helps.
[Smile] dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

I had smell and chemical sensitivities, too. And light sensitivity, and sensitivity to electromagnetic fields.

I was lucky enough to have been consistently using essential oils and teaching myself about them for five years before I got sick, so I knew that the smells of natural fragrant substances have a different effect on the body than the smell of artificial fragrant substances.

Artificial fragrances overload the body with greater toxicity. Natural fragrances are similar to smelling a freshly cut lemon (you're smelling lemon essential oil from the skin of the lemon) or the scent of a rose garden.

I actually used the essential oils to get rid of my chemical sensitivities.

I had reactions initially to the essential oils, too, but they were detoxification and herxheimer reactions, which initially felt similar to a chemical sensitivity reaction, but the difference being that within a few hours I felt enormously better.

A temporary worsening in symptoms or temporarily feeling crappier is generally a herx reaction, not a sign of true chemical sensitivity, when using the oils.

I rubbed the oils into the region over my liver to get rid of my chemical sensitivities. Our liver often gets compromised in its ability to detoxify the body because of a high bacterial load. Lemon oil, diluted of course, is particularly good for this.

It actually felt as if bacteria were crawling out of my liver when I did this. That was weird, but it is better that they get out, then stay there and multiply, and cause me to get even more sensitive to my environment.

When I did this regularly through the day, my chemical sensitivities to other things in the environment, like the smell of fresh paint, disappeared within a few days.

I know it is hard to imaging using strong smelling substances when you have a chemical sensitivity, and it may feel like too much to tolerate,

but I remember that feeling of being so horridly sensitive to sights(light), sounds(sounds were magnified for a while),

smells(anything artificial would send me into a tailspin), and even electromagnetic fields, cold air, humidity, barometric pressure,

the full moon, and anyway, what got me out of it to a great extent was use of the strong smelling but natural oils.

Anyway, I keep trying to educate Lymies about essential oils because they were truly a Godsend for me, and every other person with Lyme Disease or Fibromyalgia who I have given the oils to in the concentrations mentioned has had good responses.

I also have more energy to be pushy about the issue now that I am well.

Farah

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 3 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a fabulous and informative post!

I've been using oil of wild oregano for a few months. 2 drops a day under the tongue. YES! It burns!

I've noticed ........ no yeast and no cold sores.

I'm ready to try (very expensive)lavender oil. Is this just for sleep?

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heatherkiss:

Did you have to take a glass of water right after the Oregano Oil, or do you just tough it out.

I got a bottle of Oregano Oil, not sure IF it was wild or not, since it was not from Dr. Cass Ingrims company, but it too burned a lot when I tried it just once under my tongue and had to run for water.

Course, Ginger Root ALSO burns on the tongue.

I did take Oregano Oil in capsules last month and never took one apart to see IF it burned or not.

But it is MY understanding that NO bacteria can stand up to Oregano Oil. They will die out with or without our immune systems.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to wait as long as possible (less than a minute) Then I drink water or eat something that tastes good with oregano.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Heather, pure Lavender oil is the most awesome treatment for burns that I have ever seen. Often, the burn won't even blister and it helps with the pain, too.

Also, bee stings and bug bites. It really helps take the sting out of those.

I hate the smell of it, but I have some on hand at all time just for burn treatment.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post. Thanks everyone! Lemon oil put in water cured my costochondritis in a couple days. When it came back a little I started using the lemon oil again. That pain has never come back.

For tinnitus does everyone recommend the peppermint oil/juniper/helychrysum/geranium combo? Tried the last two together but didn't get anywhere, just kept putting them around the outside of the ear. Often wish there was something to put in the ear safely to kill all the bugs I feel crawling there.

What's best for cranial nerve stuff that might be the cause of ear problems?

I heard Frankincense is the only essential oil that can penetrate the brain. True? How would one use this oil then for neuroborreliosis? Frankincense is so expensive but if anyone will says it helped their neuro problems the cost would be insignificant. Thanks!

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Heather:

WHAT tastes good with the Oregano?

JIM

HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pizza salad bread

I only reccomend the salad though.

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

For those of you who use oregano:

There is oil of oregano, and oregano essential oil. You shouldn't take oregano essential oil undiluted orally. It will burn your mouth and your gut badly. Oil of oregano is generally 10-15% oregano essential oil in a base of olive oil. Even that is best taken with a drop or two diluted in something else: water, milk, honey, before ingesting it. Otherwise it, too, can feel pretty harsh in the mouth.

Farah

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

For those of you who use oregano:

There is oil of oregano, and oregano essential oil. You shouldn't take oregano essential oil undiluted orally. It will burn your mouth and your gut badly. Oil of oregano is generally 10-15% oregano essential oil in a base of olive oil. Even that is best taken with a drop or two diluted in something else: water, milk, honey, before ingesting it. Otherwise it, too, can feel pretty harsh in the mouth.

Farah

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another way to take oregano is to put a few drops in a capsule with organic olive oil. I don't do that, because I am too lazy to fill the capsules, but I do put a few drop of oregano oil in water and hold it under the tongue for a little while and then drink the rest. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know about the quality of NOW essential oils? That's what our local organic health food store sells and they are not costly compared to other brands. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

The NOW oils are fine. They also sell organic versions of a lot of their oils.
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Everybody,

Almost all of the essential oils penetrate the blood brain barrier, not just frankincense.

Frankincense is very good for treating Lyme and neuroborreliosis, though. It has traditionally been used to treat syphilis, which is the kissing cousin of Lyme disease. Frankincense improves breathing and relieves anxiety.

It also has been traditionally used to treat other hard to treat infections, like leprosy (which is not related to Lyme). Thyme and patchouli have also been used to treat syphilis and leprosy.

All of the oils have strong mental and psychological effects, and can be used to get a shot nervous system back in balance.

Eucalyptus has been used to treat a wide variety of infectious diseases for a long time in Australia. It definitely acted strongly against Lyme Disease for me, and it worked well for my neurological symptoms.

Eucalyptus has also been used as an antimalarial medicine by aborigines. It may have good effects on babesia.

Lavender is good for more than sleep. It stimulates healing in the body, it relieves anxiety, and it is also mildly antibacterial and antiviral.

It can be good for digestive problems. It is used to treat burns and heal skin. It is the oil most aromatherapists tell people to get first, because it is gentle and can be used for a wide variety of complaints.

I had sleep problems with Lyme Disease. When the disease is inside the brain, it can attack the reticuloendothelial formation which controls sleep wake cycles in the body.

Rubbing the oils on the back of the scalp near where the scalp and the neck meet can help with sleep problems.

For tinnitus it is safe to put a drop of 10-20% diluted oil in the ear, as long as it is not a harsh oil like oregano or thyme. Lavender is a safe one. I did that regularly for tinnitus and hearing problems.

Geranium is helpful for balancing out the hormonal system, which gets pretty messed up with Lyme. Lavender is good that way, too. Geranium is also antiviral and has activity against all sorts of Herpes viruses and EBV. Eucalyptus and thyme are also antiviral.

Eucalyptus is also antifungal. It prevented me from having any candida and yeast problems.

Many of the oils also help to carry toxins and heavy metals out of the body.

Bay Laurel seems to be helpful for lymph node involvement and bartonella. It is active against gram negative bacteria, which bartonella is. So is eucalyptus and thyme.

Getting the oils rubbed into your own back is challenging. The best thing is to have someone in the family rub them in for you. I became a bit of a contortionist trying to get to certain parts of my back especially in between my shoulders. Mostly, I bugged my husband to rub them into my back for me.

He was often the one to tell me when I needed them rubbed into my scalp, because he often noticed when I was beginning to have neuropsychiatric symptoms faster than I did.

Lemon oil is very detoxifying and is good for the liver and the digestion. It helps to improve clear thinking and alertness, and can help with brain fog. It is also strongly antibacterial and antiviral.

In France, doctors prescribe oils orally in a similar fashion to the way in which oil of oregano is used. They are diluted in a carrier oil and one drop of the diluted oil is taken three times daily, often after being put in capsules. A diluted drop can also be absorbed sublingually.

The oils are used a lot to treat infectious diseases in this manner. They will take a bacterial culture, and see which oil kills the most of that specific bacteria in a petrie dish, and then prescribe that oil for the person. They have also seen that people tend to naturally prefer the scent of the oil that lab tests show was the best one for them to use.

They are also using another diluted essential oil mixture with bergamot in it and giving it orally to children in Africa to treat infectious diseases.

Oral use is best done with care and under supervision, since the oils are so concentrated, as people who feel the burn when they take oregano oil can attest to.

A lot of different brands found at the health food store work fine. They need to be properly diluted.
I emphasize the need for dilution because that is of prime importance when using these oils properly.

Farah

mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add to the bird caution...

Essential oils should also not be used around cats. Very dangerous.

http://www.thelavendercat.com/generic.html?pid=10

Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

People definitely should not use essential oils on cats topically. I have four cats. They don't enjoy the scent of the oils, and they often leave the room when I apply them. The only scents of oils that they like are catnip and valerian. They have not had any adverse effects over the many years I have used oils very regularly around them. It is important to use caution around certain animals, like birds and cats, but some of the dangers can be overstated. Dogs are generally fine around the oils. Again, they have different scent preferences than humans.
Andie333
Member # 7370

farah,

When you talk about diluting the oils, what do you think works well as a neutral base?

This has been an awesome thread and has gotten me encouraged about trying these again.

Andie

BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI,
Can anyone tell me what oils to use for skin burning, all over the body.
[woohoo]
What about twtiching?

Thanks,

Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI,
Can anyone tell me what oils to use for skin burning, all over the body.
[woohoo]
What about twtiching?

Thanks,

Peace,
BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Interesting info about not using the oils on cats, nor around birds. Not knowing this, I treated my cat with oils on the pads of his feet twice a day when my vet thought my cat's liver was failing. (Turned out to be hyperthyroidism).

Anyway, it must not have hurt him too badly - once properly treated for the hyperthyroidism, he lived quite happily for another 6 years to the ripe old age of 20.

Sorry, I'm no help on the post just before this....

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use recue remedy on my cats when they have a vet trip...

I usually put a few drops in there carrier....and a drop in their water a few days before.

Although last week I actually put a drop onto my cats back and rubbed it in. I hope I didnt hurt her. Although she seemed very calm and tolerated her Vet visit well.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Christine,

Rescue Remedy is a flower essence, not an essential oil. It is sort of similar to homeopathic remedies. All that is in these remedies is the energetic trace of different flowers. It is safe to use on cats. I occasionally used tea tree essential oil very briefly on abscesses and puncture wounds my cats got, and that was fine.

Flower essences sound similar to essential oils, but they are different. Essential oils have organic aromatic molecules in them from different plants. Flower essences are entirely energetic.

Flower essences helped me a lot with the emotional aspects of Lyme disease, but that is a whole other topic.

As far as base carrier oils for Lyme. There are many to choose from, jojoba, almond, canola(just home cooking oil). My favorite is grapeseed oil because it seems to absorb into the skin well.

A lot of different oils can help with the burning sensation in the skin people get with Lyme. Lavender is a typical oil to choose for burning, itching, and skin problems.

I have noticed that pinching the areas of the skin that burn works better than scratching, or even deep massage. Pinch an inch to two inches of skin at a time after rubbing in the diluted oils.

Farah

suki444
Unregistered

Please note you have to be VERY careful using any oil or scent around your cat..they are sensitive to many things and can go into liver failure from certain topical oils or even lily flower pollen.

Citrus oils are particularly dangerous as far as I remember.

Emma

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Cats are unfortunately exposed to all sorts of chemicals just walking around our houses and our neighborhoods, and then cleaning their paws and fur later. Household chemical cleaners, carpet cleaners, paint fumes, concrete pavement with car oil and antifreeze on it, are all things that are toxic for us and for animals. I am honestly far more concerned about these chemicals for us and for cats.

Anyway, flower essences are fine. They have no chemical constituents in them.

I agree that people shouldn't use essential oils on cats.

That doesn't take away from their therapeutic value for us. I also don't think cats are necessarily that sensitive to it being used in the house. It is probably good to be cautious at first and carefully observe your specific animal to be on the safe side.

I know my cats have been fine over a long number of years of me using the oils around them, but not on them. And my place is quite small.

Farah

johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using using oils made by "Young Living" about two weeks ago under the care of my lymph massage therapist. Mixing 3 drops of cypress, 3 drops lemon and 3 drops lemongrass into 1 gallon of water. I drink 2 14oz glasses a day. This mix really has helped my lymph system to clear up. I was very amazed with the resluts thus far.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

For the past 10 days or so, I've been using Farah's essential oils especially formulated for Lyme disease.

I am definitely finding this blend helpful and effective, especially when rubbed into my scalp, though it has brought old symptoms back out of hiding (like creepy-crawlies down the side of my head). My herx-type reaction on this has been a return of fatigue.

This thread has some really good information. I'm not affiliated with this product in ANY way, other than as a very satisfied user.

Thanks for everyone's expertise here.
[group hug]

Andie

[ 08. April 2006, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Andie333 ]

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah,

I have used your blends in similar ways to how you described using them yourself, on my own path at the time,
and found them very helpful and effective.

Amazing, really --
before I got sick (years ago) I was working with Young Living oils and doing some raindrop therapy..
had moved away from the oils when we all got sick, and after Lyme I picked them up again after you started posting here some time ago.

I have a question:

Do you know what oils are safe for children?

Most aromatherapists and books cautiously reccommend only Lavender.

I love Lavender -- and it is very efective on many things, I know..

but are there others you believe to be safe for kids. (age 4)

Further, regarding another case --
at what age would a teen be considered an adult in oil safety issues? (age 15)

Thanks for any info ---

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah,
Is there an essential oil (beside Oregano, which I am allergic to) that helps with yeast?

I cant tolerate any of the prescription meds for yeast.I am also allergic to grass,pine, and wheat.

I take a lot of probiotics, but after a year, its not enough. Also, do any of them help with the cystic forms of Lyme?

I cant take any of the cyst busting drugs either.
Thanks for your help,
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Tea Tree oil can help with yeast. Eucalyptus helps with yeast. Quite a few different oils are antifungal.

Oregano has gotten a lot of press, but it is a pretty harsh oil to tolerate compared to many other ones.

For kids around age four, you can use a number of different oils. Dill, roman and german chamomile, spearmint, lemon, lavender, ginger, mandarin orange, and most citrus oils are safe to use for a child at that age.

The oils need to be significantly more diluted than for an adult. Lemon, lavender, chamomile, and ginger could be a good combination for a child with Lyme.

I am glad people are finding the oils helpful for them. I haven't found anyone who has consistently used them that has not found it useful, at least for symptom control.

You can seriously herx from using essential oils. Depending on how much is used the herx can be comparable to herxes people have on oral and IV antibiotics. So it is important to be prepared to have down time and know your body and its responses well when using them.

In the long run the oils are supposed to take toxins and heavy metals out of the body.

Since the oils cross the blood brain barrier, there can be neuroherxes.

They were very useful for me for neuropsychiatric Lyme symptoms I had because of this.

Farah

Andie333
Member # 7370

Hey, Farah,

I've posted on another thread that I'm currently having difficulty answering the phone.

I suspect it's directly related to my using the essential oils a lot.

Thanks for posting the caution about the neurolyme herxes.
Hopefully, this symptom will also diminish with time and continued treatment.

Good stuff, but, you're right...strong impact.

Andie

clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah,
What area of the body would I apply the oils to for yeast and at what strength?
Thanks for all your info, I am having a hard time with a lot of meds right now.
Cidy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnygirl
Member # 8339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah:
I just ordered the essential oil for lymes which includes LymeEssence Oil 2oz.
Contains 20% eucalyptus, lemon, frankincense, patchouli, geranium, and thyme essential oil in a base of 80% grapeseed oil. Has potentially incredible infection fighting powers.

Is this the oil you used Farah? Did you put on your whole body. I have pain all over. I'm also on herbs for poor oxgenation and circulation. Starting out with only small amount as a tea.

Also the infrared sauna. I tried it and was really weak when I got out. I stayed in too long for my first time. However, the heat felt good. Going to try the detox bath.

Really like this post. Very helpful.

Posts: 37 | From Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Sunnygirl,

That is the oil formula I used all through my struggle with Lyme Disease. For everyone trying the oils out, be prepared for herxes.

Far infrared saunas and all sorts of heat also helped me when I was sick. Although I mainly used natural therapies, the process of recovery was not gentle or easy.

There is nothing about this illness that is gentle or easy, and that generally includes the healing process from it.

Even using natural things, because of the herxes it can feel like 2 steps forward and 1 step backwards, but every time I used the oils and herxed the windows of good days grew wider and wider.

In my personal experience, the oils helped me with pain control in different areas of my body rather rapidly.

It helps to know your body, and know how to give yourself or have someone give you a fairly deep massage. I had weak hands at one point when I was ill. Giving myself massages became a form of physical therapy for me and strengthened my hands and arms quite a bit.

Also, some cranialsacral and other types of bodywork used at the same time can improve the penetration of oils or antibiotics, and reduce the herx issues, especially around the head and neck.

I am glad people are using and are interested in the oils. Like any therapy that you use for this illness, like Rifing, antibiotics, effective herbs, heat, and other therapies, use them with respect for their potency.

The sicker you are with Lyme the harder the herxes will be at first, because there are more bacteria in your body to kill off. As the bacteria die off, the herxes should get milder and milder and milder, and the windows of feeling normal and good should get larger and larger.

I would feel the disease change and circulate and move around the body more sometimes when using the oils, which felt disconcerting, but is a good thing in the long run, because it is out in the open where it can be killed.

And the symptoms decreased steadily rather rapidly compared to other therapies in my personal experience, even as they moved around.

In my experience, a symptom in a specific area indicated the presence of bacteria in that specific area. As I treated that specific area, I would literally feel the bacteria emerge, put up a fight, die, and the remainder "relocate" to some other place. I would then have symptom relief in that specific area that I had treated.

People on antibiotics will probably find that the part that moves will probably get killed off more effectively by the antibiotics.

Anyway, I think essential oils are a very important therapy for people with Lyme Disease to know about.

It helps me to hear what other people's experiences are. I sometimes forget that I had the same thing happen till people bring it up because I am well (not cured, but well with the illness very much under control) now, and I sometimes do forget the harshness of this illness and the place that others are at still.

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

I recently started applying Immupower (Young Living E.O.) to my spine every day after shower (Cistus, Frankincense, Oregano, Idaho Tansy, Cumin, Clove, Hyssop, Revensara, Mountain Savory).

I smell like the dumpster behind a really lousy Italian restaurant. And I can smell myself ALL DAY. Even my boyfriend concedes that I smell pretty.... well.... vile.

I've tried applying a second, light layer of another oil that smells great, but they are not really "complimentary" oils, and I don't want to mess up the energy frequency. The complimentary oils suggested are either just as bad-smelling as the Iummupower, or I don't have any to try.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Tracy,

I actually don't know so much about Young Living Essential Oils and have never used them myself. I was too poor to ever try them while I was sick.

The oregano and the cumin oil could be what is giving the "eau de Italian restaurant" fragrance, as well as the mountain savory. Clove can be a skin irritant and oregano can be irritating also.

Frankincense on its own is a pleasant smelling oil.

Lavender and geranium oil mix well with a lot of other oils and smell nice. Some of the citrus oils like bergamot or neroli also smell nice.

For a while, I would use the oils at night when I went to bed, and then shower in the morning before I went in to work. Maybe you could use the oils at night instead of in the day.

I haven't used cistus oil, but it should apply well to people with Lyme.

I know some people use the Young Living Oils internally diluted in micro amounts. You could consult with your practitioner to see if that is a possibility, instead of external application.

There are also plenty of essential oils that can boost immunity without smelling unpleasant in combination with each other.

There are many aromatherapy books out there where you can learn more about the different oils and all of their applications.

Farah

erpatti
Member # 9055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erpatti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
farah , most of my symptoms are neuro, tingling , eye pain, fatigue. I bought the lyme essence and the one for the bath. The bath is pretty self explanatory but where to you put an oil for eye problem ?? muscle weakness etc??
Posts: 41 | From new york | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnygirl
Member # 8339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Farah for your reply. Will read it over.
Posts: 37 | From Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Thanks for the suggestions, Farah. Actually, I had not thought of doing the oils at night.... mainly because I would be putting the oils on top of the body lotion I have to use after showering, so don't want to pull any additional "ingredients" in with the oils. Of necessity, because of my very dry skin and climate, my body cream has chemicals in it.

I did try applying some straight Frankincense on top of the Immupower but it didn't help much.

Yesterday, I put a lovely-smelling oil on my throat, neck and shoulders - places where I had not put the Immupower - and that worked pretty well, I think.

I guess I could put a wonderful smelling oil + plenty of carrier oil on my spine after I shower in the morning (which might moisturize enough, I hope), and then use the Immupower at night. Well, it would be worth a try. All that can happen is that I will get dry skin and itch like crazy for a few days. I do like that idea of using the Immupower at night.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Erpatti,

I would use the oil on the area of muscle weakness or nerve tingling.

A lot of times you will feel things under the surface, that feel crackly, or feel almost like bubble wrap. I don't know how to describe it.

But using your knuckles or pinching to break that stuff up and rubbing the oils deep into the area can help.

For eye problems, I would carefully apply a thin layer of oils along the bony ridge that surrounds the eyeballs.

That includes the area over the eyebrows, the bridge of the nose, the upper cheekbone, and the temples, and again rub it in with the knuckles or your finger joints. Don't get the oils in your eye, and don't use so much that your eyes smart.

You may feel keets crawl out of your eyes, which can be a very weird sensation.

After I would do this consistently and have that sensation, my eyesight would improve, and a lot of my floaters and light sensitivity would diminish.

If you use the oils in that area, it helps to just generally use it on the scalp, around the ears, and on the neck, too, because those are areas near the eyes that the bacteria tend to want to migrate to.

Farah

suki444
Unregistered

Farah

I find this thread fascinating so I'm pulling it back up.

I have bought the massage and bath Lymessence oils to try as I feel the essential oils I have been trying myself were helping and yours are no doubt better blends!

P.S. I recently watched a documentary on a community of jews who hid in the forest from the germans during the war and I was watching it wondering how many of them got Lyme whilst there.

Then it cut to showing you them now, much advanced in age and they said that for the 'diseases of the forest' they used birch bark oil! - an essential oil basically.

BW
Emma

Farah do you think that it is necessary to try essential oils internally to help recovery at some stage? ..or will the topical application do the job whilst on abx.

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Emma,

I found that using the oils externally in combination with antibiotics worked well for me.

Except for the 3 weeks of IV rocephin, I have probably never on the high dosages of antibiotics that others are frequently on. I did use essential oils the whole time I was on IV also.

The antibiotics were more of an adjunct to the essential oils than vice versa for me.

I started using small amounts of essential oils internally when I wanted to wean myself off of antibiotics entirely, once I was already fairly well.

I used the internal and external essential oils, some "blood moving" Chinese herbs, and N-acetyl cysteine, at that point, and I had basically taught myself how to do core synchronism(similar to cranialsacral work) on parts of my body that would begin to go out of whack.

Between these, I went off of antibiotics entirely.

I also take hot baths and showers and use saunas occasionally.

At this point I rarely use the essential oils, also (mostly once a month before my period or around the full moon to head off any potential flares).

I mainly take some blood moving Chinese herbs, n-acetyl cysteine, niacin, and vitamin c.

The oils have been used internally as natural antibiotics in France for a long time, but they have to be used carefully when used that way. Some oils can be toxic. And again, they always need to be diluted.

Oil of oregano is a 15% dilution of essential oil in olive oil and it is still only used by the drop. Other oils would be used similarly as well.

The spirochetes seem to have more trouble developing resistance to the essential oils than they do to antibiotics, from my personal experience.

Most antibiotics I used would stop working after even a week or two of being on them.

The essential oil formula I used to treat myself really didn't change over time.

It, too, worked best during the first month or so of use, and then the spirochetes would hide in cysts, but if I was consistent about rubbing the oils in to the areas where I was having problems, the condition always alleviated, and then disappeared.

I had the butt-kicking variety of Lyme disease that everyone knows well.

There were days I thought I would lose my vision, days I thought I would lose my hearing, there were days when I couldn't move my arms or my legs, there were days when I couldn't read or write or process a television program.

I drove like a drunk driver sometimes. I acted like an Alzheimer's patient. There were times I hallucinated and was psychotic.

There were times where I felt like the walking dead. The depression was often such that I felt as if I was looking at the world through mud.

There were times that I had the suicidal thoughts that come with spirochetes crawling around in one's brain, making me want to do things I would never do, while all of the physically healthy people in the world seemed to be busy crapping all over me.

I experienced all of the familial and social and medical ostracism that everyone else with this disease also experiences.

So although my tale is ultimately hopeful and optimistic, I have experienced the long dark night of the soul that I know many of you are still experiencing.

And I think I also had to recover simply from the post traumatic stress that the horrors of this illness imposed as well.

I know from the inside how insanely hard and challenging this illness is.

I do want people to know that there is a way through that long dark night. I want to share the things I found that helped me.

I was pretty obsessive compulsive about treating myself.

Taking care of my brain and body was the totality of my existence for a couple of years.

It felt very unbalanced. And I wished that I could live a more well rounded life, and didn't have to be so obsessive compulsive about taking care of myself.

But it really paid off in the end. The windows of good days got wider and wider, and the flares and herxes got milder and milder.

Now, even if I feel some remnant of Lyme, it is so transient and mild, that it is practically imperceptible. I still make a point of being vigilant, and highly tuned in to my body.

Lyme Disease is now more of an afterthought in my day to day life now. I do a few things to maintain myself, and then I don't think about it much as I go about leading a larger, happy life now.

I found effective methods to treat Lyme in myself and it still took time, and it felt like one step back, two steps forward, with each herx, but I got to the other side of what felt like an abyss.

And I have hope and faith that others will get through their own long dark nights and be well again, if they are just empowered with tools that actually work, and aren't allowed to get worse while they keep hitting dead ends trying things that aren't effective with this illness.

Farah

chroniccosmic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chroniccosmic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been reading this post with great interest and have sent it to a friend with babesia.

Farah or Suynnygirl---Can you tell me where you ordered the oils for the lyme from? If you can't post the supplier's name, can you send me a PM?

Thanks, I want to try these as soon as I can get the information together. I also ordered a book so I can get more familiar.

Thanks Farah for all your input on this subject! [Big Grin]

Posts: 460 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suki444
Unregistered

Farah

did you have any co-infections that the oils helped?

P.S. How much of the Lymessence oils do you advise using daily and when?

many thanx
emma

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah,

I was also wondering if you felt you had babesia?

Think this may be hubby's biggest problem and the med choices for that are so limited. Have discovered a few new herbs to try, but I am open to trying any oils that might help as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

I was never properly tested for co-infections. I suspect a bartonella co-infection, given the extremity of symptoms I had, and because I had severe lymph node involvement.

I also suspect that I had ehrlichia, given some of the other symptoms I had. I had an enlarged spleen and liver and some strange rashes that weren't typical Lyme rashes.

If I had babesia at any point, I think it would have been cleared pretty quickly, because I used a lot of eucalyptus oil from the very beginning, and eucalyptus has historically been used as an antimalarial by Australian aborigines.

The essential oils are broad spectrum and can address a variety of types of infections.

They can be antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial.

They can be active against mycoplasmas.

They can be active against both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, though more of them are active against gram positive bacteria.

Some oils are active against all of the above, which is fairly unheard of in synthetic drugs.

How much oil did I use?
For external treatment, I used a lot. I used them as needed, and my need was great.

I think it is important for people to take into account the other drugs they are taking when they start using the oils and start slower than I did to see how they tolerate them.

Basically I would use them to the point of feeling a hint of nausea, and then I would cut back a bit from there.

Once I got acclimated to the oils I would basically coat myself in them(diluted) from head to toe, avoiding eyes and mucous membranes.

I would usually do this at night before I went to sleep. In the morning I would take a hot bath with essential oils.

And when I was really sick, I would also use a far infrared heat lamp on different body parts that were having problems that day, except for on my head.

Needless to say, between the use of essential oils and heat, I herxed a lot. As I got better, I only used the essential oils externally on different trouble spots.

Sometimes I would have to reapply the oils consistently for a day or two or more before a specific severe symptom would subside.

I could tell when I may be heading into a neurolyme flare because I would get severe headsplitting headaches beforehand.

The moment I felt any tightness and tenderness in my head I would apply the essential oils, and prevented flareups that way.

Sometimes my husband would apply them when I was already getting a little berserk, because I hadn't taken preventive action, and I would immediately feel better, calm down, and get more grounded in reality, and the head pain would subside.

Then as I got to the point when I was feeling well most of the time and wanted to wean off the antibiotics, I started taking the oils internally along with externally as needed.

I would take about 3-5 drops of 15% diluted essential oils 1-3 times a day. It is important to know the safety profiles of the oils before trying this.

I would keep the oils in my mouth so that they would be absorbed through the soft palate on the roof of the mouth, under the tongue, and the inside of my cheeks.

I would keep them in my mouth for about a minute. Then I would usually swallow the rest, but sometimes I would spit it out after that.

I think swallowing it improved the effects somewhat, but I think a lot of the absorption happens in the mouth. It was important for me to eat food right before or after ingestion to avoid heartburn.

It has been about two years since I quit taking antibiotics, and I haven't had to return to them.

I rarely use the essential oils now, and use a handful of supplements. I will occasionally use the essential oils and heat treatments, mostly before my period to keep the illness at bay as a preventive measure.

Another option for internal use is the use of hydrosols. They are milder and gentler in nature than essential oils. I used Bay Laurel Hydrosol for lymph node inflammation with good results. Another hydrosol, Greenland Moss, is also supposed to be really good for lymphatic congestion, and to get the circulation moving.

Farah

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

This thread has even more essential oil info for those interested. I go into more detail on this thread about how I treated myself with essential oils. There is more info on what oils are good for what issues as well.

Farah

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone,

i recently tried these essential oils after
farah's last post (thank you Farah)
i was at the end of my lyme rope. They caused some herxing but now it is really soothing to my muscles.

a year ago after suspecting Lymes (positive for Babs and Lymes after one year)- i used the grapefruit seed extract orally - but i would like to try the essential oil - where can i find this

great posts thanks
has helped me so much

- a few times i mixed the lime essential oils and coconut - i became a walking [Razz] key lime pie

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Rizol Zeta from www.biopureus.com. It seems to be one of the better oils that I have seen - ozonated - from Germany.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bumping to move this interesting thread up again.

I've been using more consistently a mix called Olbas Oil from Germany, on my head mainly, to clear up a bit of fog that comes during the day (supposedly herx??).

It's a mix of eucalyptus, peppermint and Cajeputi, plus Juniperi and Gautheriae (small amounts).

Very fast results. I'm not sure though if this is only a 'coffee-like' effect from peppermint, but I do feel the difference fast!

I also started rubbing lemon + lavender oil on my liver and belly, on a 50%-50% mixture. I do feel it helps digestion and liver cleansing. Is it my imagination or I feel the bile moving??

I'll try a 75%-25% mix soon (increase the lemon proportion).

Selma.

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earthdeva
Member # 10584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earthdeva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farah & everybody, many thanks for all this fabulous information.

I've used lavender and heliochrism but with all the expense of supplements and taking so many different things over the past year I think I sort of forgot about them.

This thread is making me want to try them again. I was on very heavy duty abx at that time and now am not - no insurance here - but I am doing the Cowden protocol to treat Lyme and I think the essential oils will complement that treatment just fine.

Could you please tell me if you know of any essential oils that address heart palpitations? Since being on Cumanda, my heart's started racing again, as i was while I was on Zithromax and other abxs.

xo,

Posts: 8 | From Asheville, NC | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do people use ozonated (Rizol) oils?

Are these only for external use, or internal use also?

Thanks for any information, sorry for the dumb question, but the Biopure website does not say anything about this!

Farah has said in earlier posts that some essential oils may be, on a limited basis, used in small quantities internally.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont, do a search on Rizols, Gigi has posted about it not so long ago.

The Biopure site seems to have some info about, if I remember well.

They can be used externally and internally, but one has to watch for herxes.

If you don't find the thread, PM me, I have it somewhere in my 'archives'.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Earthdeva,

For me, the heart palpitations were often a sign that the bacteria in my heart (scary to think of creepy crawlies in such a crucial organ) were getting stirred up.

A lot of times when I just applied the oils regularly over the area of my heart the palpitations would decrease and eventually disappear.

I think I was killing the bacteria at that spot and therefore reducing the symptom that way. I have heard that the Cumanda seems to trigger heart palpitations in a lot of Lymies. I think it is a sign of the bacteria being stirred out from hiding before dying off.

I do think the essential oils and the cumanda and samento probably would complement each other just fine. They are all potent though, so it is important to manage the herxes.

The oils I had mentioned before I think would probably help with this symptom, particularly frankincense and lavender for the calming effect on the nervous system.

But the eucalyptus, the lemon, and the thyme are good for killing bacteria and reducing symptoms that way.

Helichrysum oil is good generally for preventing cardiovascular issues. It keeps the blood circulation going, promoting tissue healing, while preventing clotting and hypercoagulation in my experience. It is rather pricey though. The hydrosol is cheaper and can be used in its place.

Remember to always dilute the oils in a carrier oil.

Farah

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone

this post has been wonderful.
i use these oils - i am sleeeping throught the night at least 3 to 4 times a week.

I know that I am herxing more
--- more down time but less brain fog.
last week i was able to scan a page a remember what i read - Unreal --

I seem to start feeling yucky -- about two hours after i apply the oil.would you consider this a herx or just normal

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am translating this from a German text by the researcher:

The ozonated Oils work via the ozonides. The ozonides carry the oxygen thereby changing the milieu in which anaerobic pathogenic "seeds" or "germs" live, changing it to an aerobic terrain, making it impossible for them to continue to replicate (oxygen is present) . The Oil works on the surface clinging with its effective ingredients to the gut mucosa where fungi, bacteria and parasite nests are hanging out.

Here is what I posted on another thread.
The experience is that the ozonated oils are very, very effective.

Rizoles

Rizoles are faily recently discovered compounds that naturally form when natural oils are ozonated for extended periods of time (weeks to months). Depending on the organic plant oil used, the time of exposure to pure medical grade ozone gas, voltage and amperage in the high-voltage chamber, different compounds with unique properties are formed.

Extensive research and safety studies have been done in several universities in Germany. The results showed that rizoles are extremely safe to use both internally and externally.

They have unusual and profound antimicrobial effects for many different species of microorganisms: molds, bacteria, protozoa, flukes, roundworms, tapeworms, threadworms and others. Rizoles also have significant anti-viral effects.

Common uses in Germany:

As bath oils about 15-20 drops are added to the bath water while having a hote sitz-bath for no more than 15 minutes (sitting in the bath, water temperature as high as comfortably tolerated, water level no higher than umbilicus)

The oils are ideal to treat fungal skin infections, including nail fungus and athletes foot, cracks in the heel )often a mixed infection). For use on mucous membranes, the oils should be diluted or ``cut'' 50:50 or more with a non-ozonated plant oil (sesame oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc.)

The oils are suitable to treat gum disease (mouth wash several times per day) and to apply with a Q-tip diluted 50:50 to the ear canal for external otitis (no more than one drop per application).

To treat infections and infestations in the lymphatic system, the oils should be applied directly over the skin areas where the lymphatic uptake is significant (anterior neck, under axilla, groin, in selected indications to be applied to the breast)

Dose: sometimes one single drop applied to the skin per day is enough to create a die-off effect (Herzheimer reaction) in the lymphatic system (which seems to be a popular hiding place for several creatures). The dose should only be gradually increased when the reactions become tolerable. Ideally this treatment is combined with the salt/vitamin C treatment for micro-filariosis (www.lymephotos.com).

4. Internal use (this is commonly done in Germany and other European countries. In the US the products are not approved by the FDA for internal use. It would consistute an off-label use).

This is usually done in 2 stages:

Stage I. to treat intestinal infestations with bacteria (clostridia, etc.), protozoa (giardia, amoebas, toxoplasma, etc), worms and viruses.

Dosage: Begin with 1-3 drops one/day and gradually increase to the full dose of 10 drops 3 times/day. Back off if you experience Herxheimer/die-off reactions. Then slowly increase again. Pour a little clean water in a cup, shake the rizol bottle rhythmically until the desired number of drops have fallen in the cup, add water to the mix. The turbulence is enough to create a homogenous white mily fluid that tastes ok.

Depending on your intestinal uptake, there may be burning in the anus with the next bowel movement (if the oil is not taken up in the intestinal passage). This may be a sign to go on to State II:

Add 1/3 to 1 tsp Phospholipid Exchange and stir in the mix (see Stage I). This will dramatically increase the uptake of the rizol in the lymphatic system of the gut and cleanse the GALT (gut-associated-lymphatic-system). As soon as the rizol has done its job here, it will travel via the large central lymph duct into the veins, from here to the lungs, liver, kidney and eventually into the brain. Wherever it reaches, it chases the pathogenic microbes out of this area. There may be significant die-off reactions at unpredictable times. No serious lasting untoward effects have been observed however.

It is best to combine this treatment with the salt/Vit C parasite cleanse. German practitioners have recommended this treatment for many months, until ``the job is done''.
Lyme patients have been on this regimen for as long as a year without problems.

It is absolutely important to supplement healthy bowel flora (suggest the products from BII), which should be taken after meals - away from rizoles. The rizoles are best taken on an empty stomach. Do not take the rizoles late at night since die-off reactions may disturb the deep sleep (which is so important for healing).

Rizoles are also called ``ozonides''. However, the correct biochemical name is ``rizol''.
They were developed by Professor and Chief of the Department of Chemistry, Dr. Gerhard Steidl of the University of Erlangen, Germany. The scientific research of the rizoles was conducted by Prof. Steidl under the auspices of the Karl and Veronica Carstens Foundation in Essen, Germany, the largest naturopathic research foundation in the world: Jahrbuch Band 3 der Karl and Veronica Carstens Stiftung, Hippokrates Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany 1996 ISBN 3-7773-1295-9 (Subtitle: Untersuchungen zur Wirkungsweise langkettiger Ozonide auf eukariotische humane Zellen, Pilz- und Tumorzellen, Biochemische und zellbiologische Effekte. Investigation into the effect of long chain ozonides on eucariotic human cells, yeast and tumorcells, Biochemical and cell-biological effects).

Currently the oils are only used in the US for bath, even though they are used for a wide variety of indications in Europe, including infections (anaerobic bacteria, oxygen sensitive fungi such as Candida, Cryptococcus and histoplasma, most parasites and many viruses (parvo, corona, all 8 herpes viruses, adenovirus, rota and most prions), periodontal disease, chronic fatigue, constipation, depression, ADHD, clostridia.

Side effects: activation of the M-cells (peritoneal macrophages) and activation of lymphocytes can cause transient inflammation in affected body areas and the oils have therefore diagnostic properties. The dose should be greatly reduced if and when this occurs until the reaction subsides. Regular Herzheimer reactions are expected and common.

Rizoles ingredients can be found on www.biopureus.com or in the BioPure product manual available by contacting BioPure.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Hi Mag,

It's good to hear that you are feeling a shift using the essential oils. It does sound like you are herxing.

I remember how relieved I felt when I could finally read and register what I was reading again. This illness has so many weird and disturbing symptoms.

The essential oils helped me to get to sleep too. I hadn't been able to sleep for days at a time before using the oils, and once I started using them regularly, I never had problems getting to sleep.

I sometimes still had bad dreams, or I often slept way too much, but I didn't get insomnia any more.

The essential oils are very potent medicinals, used in their pure form, or ozonated as Gigi mentions.

They don't need to be ozonated though, to encourage better oxygenation in the body. They have that property anyhow.

Farah

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement