LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do I know if I have Lyme Disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I know if I have Lyme Disease?
My Mom Made Me Register
Member # 8998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My Mom Made Me Register     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. Just a question. How can I tell if I have Lyme disease? I have frequent migraines, joint pain on and off, and sometimes feel like I can't remember things. My mother, step-father, father and 2 of my brothers have all been diagnosed? I know that I should go to a doctor, but right now the only doctors are too far away, and I don't have any insurance. Thus far, doctors have been unable to diagnose anything and have labeled me a drug seeker due to my migraines. I am finding it more and more difficult to find a doctor and feel like I have been blackballed in our area's medical community. Thanks in advance for your ideas. I have had ticks attached in the past and spend a lot of time outdoors, but no bull's eye rash that I can recall.

--------------------
MMMMR

Posts: 5 | From Above the Mason-Dixon Line | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 6 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mom-made,

One of my first symptoms was the horrible headaches everyday for years. When I first looked at this list I knew for sure.

SYMPTOM CHECK LIST

This is not meant to be used as
a diagnostic scheme,
but is provided to
streamline the office interview.
Note the format-
complaints referable to specific
organ systems are clustered
to better display multisystem involvement.

RISK PROFILE (PLEASE CHECK)
Tick infested area__
Frequent outdoor activities__
Hiking__
Fishing ___
Camping ___
Gardening ___
Hunting ___
Ticks noted on pets ___
Do you remember being bitten by a tick? No__ Yes__ When? _________
Do you remember having the "bull's eye rash"? No__ Yes__
Any other rash? No__ Yes__
Have you had any of the following? (CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS)
1. Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
2. Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
3. Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
4. Unexplained hair loss
5. Swollen glands: list areas
6. Sore throat
7. Testicular pain/pelvic pain
8. Unexplained menstrual irregularity
9. Unexplained milk production: breast pain
10.Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
11.Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
12.Upset stomach
13.Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
14.Chest pain or rib soreness
15.Shortness of breath, cough
16.Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
17.Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
18.Joint pain or swelling: list joints
19.Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
20.Muscle pain or cramps
21.Twitching of the face or other muscles
22.Headache
23.Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
24.Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
25.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
26.Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
27.Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
28.lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
29.Lightheadedness, wooziness
30.Tremor
31.Confusion, difficulty in thinking
32.Diffculty with concentration, reading
33.Forgetfuiness, poor short term memory
34.Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
35.Difficulty with speech or writing
36.Mood swings, irritability, depression
37.Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
38.Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

[ 21. March 2006, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: HEATHERKISS ]

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmr,

i think the best thing you can do is hang around here for awhile and see if you and your symptoms are similar to the folks here.

If they are, you probably got what we got.

It's treatable!!

People do get better but not without treatment.

best,
hopeful

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Headache was my sons first sympton and no migrane medicine in the world helped him. I think you should get tested. The more you wait and question the worse it can become. My son was treated with steriods for the head and that was the worse thing that we did. Watch out for that.

Good Luck

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BostonLyme2005
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Get yourself to an LLMD NOW! Find a way to see an LLMD!

Get yourself tested through Igenex as well.

Some people dont have Lyme, they may have some symptoms that Lymies have, but it may be something else, ok.

This way if you have the tests and see an LLMD, you have a better chance of knowing if it is Lyme or not.

Good Luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, I love you name!

The only true way to know if you have it is to see an LLMD. You could do all the research in the world but only a good dr is going to be able to truly diagnose it for you.

BTW, I never had a bulls eye rash. I did have a severed infected tick bite as a child and we think thats where I got Lyme from even though my system was able to hold it at bay for years. Always felt kinda sick, listless and tired a lot as a child though.

Hang in there, learn what you can from everyone here then see a good LLMD and go from there.

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMMR:
Hey, your mom is one smart cookie.

[Big Grin]

With the history and the symptoms that you listed, it does look suspiciously like Lyme.

Here is an easy to understand list of symptoms:
(no medical terminology)
http://www.canlyme.com/patsymptoms.html

This is NOT a fun disease to have, but if you do have it, you want to know so that you can "travel down the right road" to getting better.

It's so counterproductive to get misdiagnosed and do your body more harm by taking the wrong meds.

If you don't have insurance, that does put a crimp in things.
You'll have to do a lot of reading so that you can educate yourself about Lyme.

Look at the "newbie links," which are probably too extensive if you don't want to be here in the first place.

You don't have to rush into anything yet.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nukegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nukegirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mom-made,

Welcome. My first symptoms were the following:

flu-like symptoms-muscle aches
stiffness
tremors
drepression/uncontrollable crying
insomnia
twitching

I never had a rash and was hardly ever in deep weeds or the woods. Don't give up if you think you might have it. MAKE THEM LISTEN!!!!

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Mom-Made. Thanks for dropping by!

I'm getting the feeling you kinda know in your gut that you probably have Lyme.

You've probably read enough and learned enough already to realize your doctors are brainless about Lyme disease.

The ticks most likely to give you Lyme are so micro-tiny that if you're not hunting for 'em, you probably aren't any the wiser after they've had their fill.

Can your parents help you see an LLMD?

How about calling IGeneX (or go to the website), ordering the IgM and IgG tests - they will mail you the test kit free - then get your parents to go WITH you to the DUCK-tor's office and tell him to puh-LEASE humor you and authorize a western blot. Usually they will go along, just in an attempt to prove how lame and wrong you are (only to have it bite them in the a$$ later when it comes back positive!)

With some positives on a western blot, you might convince a doctor to follow the ILADS guidelines in treating you, if there's no way you can get to an LLMD. However, I would keep working on that option.

Headaches are frequently the presenting symptom of Lyme. For me, migraines 24/7. In combination with the other symptoms you've listed, I would get checked out.

Because if it IS Lyme, it ain't goin' away!!

Good luck -- come here often and let us help, or just rant!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breaking this up for us neuro lymies.. please hit enter often & double space please; thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by My Mom Made Me Register:

Hello. Just a question. How can I tell if I have Lyme disease?

I have frequent migraines, joint pain on/off, and sometimes feel like I can't remember things.

My mother, step-father, father and 2 of my brothers have all been diagnosed? I know that I should go to a doctor, but right now the only doctors are too far away,

and I don't have any insurance. Thus far, doctors have been unable to diagnose anything and have labeled me a drug seeker due to my migraines.

I am finding it more and more difficult to find a doctor and feel like I have been blackballed in our area's medical community. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

I have had ticks attached in the past and spend a lot of time outdoors, but no bull's eye rash that I can recall.

BIG WELCOME! Clever name there!

First of all, go to the left-hand column for support groups for YOUR STATE. Email or call the support group leaders shown to find out who is a GOOD LLMD.

I'l copy/paste my newbie comments here. Others may have mentioned them earlie to you, but I can't read this post since someone caused this to go SUPER WIDE!

Wish that person would come back and fix it soon!

Welcome to this 24/7 LYME support group board!
Here's TREEPATROL's and Tincup's combination newbie links.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/029917.html

Print off the links then check them off as you read as you could spend
several months reading all of this.

print & read Dr. Barrascono's 2005 info first; you will come back to this
often.

Extensive info in Treepatrol's newbie links about the meaning of WESTERN BLOT IGM/IGG test results from Igenex! Be sure to read or print this info IF Igenex tested you ok!

Also, see Cheryl's extensive web sites on: LD DIAGNOSIS, SYMPTOMS, & TREATMENT ... wonderful! Read the area on CO-INFECTIONS! You
could have from 1-12 other illnesses that tick is carrying...lyme, malaria, etc.

If you are showing symptoms of co-infections, I would like to suggest being tested for co-infections when you have LYME western blots done. It isn't
cheap!! But if you are positive, you can treat the co-infections first, and then work on LYME symptoms.

http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymediseasetreatment.html

EYE SENSITIVIES & NOIR, no infrared sunglasses info., 2-28-06 updated

YES, I have what you have! Are you on doxy too? That made my extreme eyes
200% MORE sensitive than they we were earlier.
I learned a lot about eye sensitivity/lighting on
www.marshallprotocol.com board.
Look for AUSSIE BARB'S EAST FINDER and then eyes/sunglasses, etc.
Wealth of info there.

I ordered the NOIR sunglasses. 2-26-06 corrected wrong email to:
http://www.noir-medical.com/noir_amber.htm

You will need 2% amber and 10% amber ... Style no. 901 and 910.
1-800-521-9746 TOLL- FREE

mention you have lyme and marshall protocol, they will give you 20% off!
Also they have been kind enough to replace the SCRATCHED LENSES & BROKEN BOWS! How's that for service?

I don't drive often at night, but I can wear NOIR's 901 lenses at night while
driving; it creates soft candle lights coming at me...tolerable. NOT to wear in
town with all the action of people crossing where they shouldn't be, etc.

from LOU to Betty on LONG web links and Thank You Lou!:
"If you hit the return key in the middle of a link, I don't think it will be clickable anymore. An alternative that maybe Betty should be telling people about is the tiny url website. I have it on my tool bar at the top of the page and use it for
those incredablylongwebsiteaddresses.

All you have to do is ask tiny url to produce a short version, which it will do with a unique address, which you then use instead in your post. Works just the same when clicked! Here is the website, spread the word!

http://tinyurl.com/

3-1-06, fyi, I tried dragging tinyurl to my toolbar without success, so that's why I currently have LONG addresses vs. short tiny ones! I'll keep trying.

UNDERSTANDING HERXING REACTIONS
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=041517

Tincup's explaination of Camp A and B, Steere vs. Burrascano, on short term antibiotics vs. long-term CHRONIC abx.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021395

TESTING FOR LYME DISEASE ... 3 main LYME TICK BORNE LABS IN USA!

The WESTERN BLOT IGM & IGG blood test nos. 189 and 188, are the only accurate tests for LD. They should only be sent to these 3 USA's Lyme
testing labs:

IGENEX LAB:
797 San Antonio Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303

(If the early test, called IGM, is negative; the later test IGG is NOT done!)
Please see their web site:
www.igenex.com CALL for their current prices effective OCT. , 2005 and

to print their REQUIRED form, which MUST be signed by the doctor,
DIAGNOSIS CODE NO. COMPLETED!; Medicare's UPIN no., and your
blood taken EARLY in the week so it doesn't sit in post offices! Example,
have it taken Mon. - Wed. Afternoon tests show more positive lyme results!

Here is the site to PRINT THEIR REQUIRED FORM to send with blood sample.
For me, I printed the FIRST option available on the forms.

http://www.igenex.com/formset2.htm

Write on their forms you want results FAXED to their drs. Office; snail mail paper
copy so it's not lost like mine was!

NON-Medicare patients must PREPAY by check or credit card for the tests since
they do NOT handle insurance papers.
Medicare patients do NOT have to prepay!

2. MDLabs from NJ, www.mdl.net
see their site; they too require their own form. NO prices are listed; you must
call their 800 no.

3. BOWEN labs from Florida, www.bowen.net 727.937.9077.

You pay $250 tax-deductible payment for testing, and they send you a picture
of what shows up in your blood. You also get the results within 24 hours after the blood is received at Bowen. They are also a 501(c)(3) lab and you can take the donation of $250 off of your taxes if you live in the US.

They fax the results and then about a week later send the actual pictures.

NO way to file for insurance since it's only a brief letter you get back from them even WITHOUT a 501 federal tax no!

Lyme should be diagnosed clinically using medical history in addition with the Western Blot blood tests as no currently available test is definitive in ruling-in or ruling-out infection with Ld pathogens, or whether these infections are responsible for the patient's symptoms.

NOTE: Please send a copy of your health insurance card to YOUR insurance comany (mine is Wellmark BC/BS, Iowa) for them to submit to BLUE CARD (handles other states) them to FORWARD to California's Blue Shield health insurance company since they will require that, DRS. Diagnosis Code No., and which date of service is correct (IGX has 3 different dates on their paid receipts....use the DATE OF ACTIVITY!).

FYI - mine was returned to me after 6 wks. After submitting; dr./blood lab
failed to show DRS. DIAGNOSIS CODE NO. on their form! It went to 7 people to be returned to me! Disgusting!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I had migraines on and off for four years before all h*** broke loose in my body...

I kept tryin diff things for the migraines--no triptans worked

Pain started traveling to neck, shoulders and heat in hands and feet.

Migraines are often the primary symptoms of neuroborrialis.

If mom made you register, ask mom to help with the expenses of finding a diagnosis and treatment..the sooner you know the sooner you can get on the right track with treatment.

This may mean that your put your other life on hold while you deal with the disease...hard to comprehend such a big deal but if it is lyme, there is no easy way.

You have family who will help you since they all have it too...(I am so isolated in my illness as nobody I know has it and I feel like a big cranky baby)

Good luck

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I had migraines on and off for four years before all h*** broke loose in my body...

I kept tryin diff things for the migraines--no triptans worked

Pain started traveling to neck, shoulders and heat in hands and feet.

Migraines are often the primary symptoms of neuroborrialis.

If mom made you register, ask mom to help with the expenses of finding a diagnosis and treatment..the sooner you know the sooner you can get on the right track with treatment.

This may mean that your put your other life on hold while you deal with the disease...hard to comprehend such a big deal but if it is lyme, there is no easy way.

You have family who will help you since they all have it too...(I am so isolated in my illness as nobody I know has it and I feel like a big cranky baby)

Good luck

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello child from a smart woman! You have some great responses so far...Take time to go thru the links and it may help you.

I noticed you are from near the Mason-Dixon line..I live in York Co. just over the line..It is a long line so you may not live close to me but York Co. was tied for 3rd in Pa with the number of reported cases and PA was first in the nation.

NOt sure what Maryland's number is but it is definitely gaining momentum and Harford Co was #1 in MD.

The support group that I attend, meets in Harford Co and the leader is rarely off of the phone from trying to help newcomers.

Also we are close to the shore and Chesapeake Tributaries..They may have tidal contamination and some of DE off road sites even have signs warning of potential contamination..It may be blue-green algae or red tides but it also is a neuro-toxin and the symptoms can mimic lyme in all ways.

And while most of your family has this, it does not mean you do but the odds are much greater..It could have been passed to you in utero or the areas where the family has lived and frequented may have been infested with the little buggers..

A EM rash's absence does not rule out the disease..My daughter never had one..And she has never had a CDC positive Western Blot..But she has been equivocal and had positive urine tests..Also according to the possible symptoms, she has from time to time had most of them..

The disease is not easy to diagnose with the tests available but the DRs should look at all symptoms and issue a clinical diagnosis.

There are no lyme Drs in the immediate area but are doable within an hour or more of driving..Depending on where you are located, the local support leaders in MD, PA or DE should be able to help you..Some of them are not as expensive and are able to provide some level of help.

The disease in the local area does not seem to be a pure strain..It seems to be mingled with Bartonella and Babesosis, so they add to the horrors..

Good luck...And do not expect any of the regular Drs to be able to provide much help..Been there and done that to extreme frustration and exhaustion..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vitch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We call the doctors who tell us we're nuts, however they phrase it, ducks, as in quack quack.

The only way to know if you have Lyme, or don't have it, is to see a LLMD. If you do have it, the sooner you get treated, the better. If you don't have it, that's good to know, as well.

--------------------
[email protected]

www.lymediseaseassociation.org/Conflicts.doc

Worthless tests & labs, a dangerous vaccine, insurance companies refuse to pay, undertreatment the norm, all about money. MO.

Posts: 281 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My Mom Made Me Register
Member # 8998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My Mom Made Me Register     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, guys. Glad you all like the name, but it may be a little misleading. My mom did make me register, but I am a grown married woman with 2 children. I am glad to see that a lot of you have had migraines, but no one around here seems to be a good doctor for Lyme Disease. I will try to get in to see a good doctor, just as soon as I get health insurance.

--------------------
MMMMR

Posts: 5 | From Above the Mason-Dixon Line | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My Mom Made Me Register
Member # 8998

I have a question for Betty, is there a reason that you reequoted my post? Also, new users such as myself don't havr any idea what a neuro-lymie is, or some of the other terms you use....

--------------------
MMMMR

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have problems seeing and some have problems with concentration and reading and things like that...

The spacing makes it easier for people with these problems to read.

Lyme can effect your eyes and your brain (lots of stuff in your brain)

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find your name kind of funny. I could swear you were my daughter, but she has insurance. We have been diagnosed, well 3 of us so far. My husband has one positive test, my dad died at 67, before we could explore this, he had a diagnosis of Lupus and my son is still just making fun of me, even though he has been in the ER more then once with heart issues, and is sick every few days with the flu. My daughter came back most positivie of all, CDC positive. Thing is, she is a grown woman, 2 kids, can't afford to go to the doc, complains endlessly about how bad she feels, even actually crys. I offer to pay for the doc, which isn't cheap, just so she can feel better.

She takes up the invitation, and then tells the doc, I don't want to be here, my mom made me come......sigh. Your mom wants you not to suffer. Not that long ago we had no options, but you may have options. The odds of you having Lyme are greatly increased just by having one family memeber with Lyme, but if you have several, well you can figure the math. You owe it to yourself to rule Lyme out.

My mom told me many years ago, long, before we knew about Lyme, don't suffer if you don't need to. Life is to short. She was right, and i got busy trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I finally found out it has been Lyme all along. My daughter has it, and I was just able to help my mom get a diagnosis of Lyme after being sick most of her life, and being told she has MS. She is being treated for Lyme and is making noticable progress already.

You are a lucky woman to have a mom who has walked ahead of you, and can point you in the direction, that might prevent you and possibly your children from suffering needlessly.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by My Mom Made Me Register:
I have a question for Betty, is there a reason that you reequoted my post? Also, new users such as myself don't havr any idea what a neuro-lymie is, or some of the other terms you use....

Hi, MMMMR! Welcome back! Thanks for clarifying you're a grownup.

Betty (and others) sometimes re-post messages to break up text so that it's easier to read for those of us with neurological lyme disease (or as we fondly call ourselves, "neuro-lymies.")

When you have lyme disease involvement in your brain or neurological lyme, particularly late-stage, it is extremely hard to read long blocks of text.

(Or follow conversations, or think coherently, or remember what we did yesterday, etc.) [dizzy]

So breaking the text up into short blocks makes it easier to read. That's all!

Now, most LLMD's do not take insurance. You might get lucky and find one, but probably not. Check with your mom about this. Reason being, if the insurance company had its way, they would be happy to tell the doctor, "Lyme is cured in 20 days, why are you still treating that person???"

So you pay the doctor yourself, and submit your bill to your insurance company. Typically what you get back is not a whole lot. However, the initial appt. is the biggie, follow-ups are much more affordable.

If in fact you do have Lyme, you really need to be treated. You don't want to end up with brain lesions and cognitive problems. You want to be certain you know whether you have it so you will know the possibility of your children potentially having it.

I'm with Human -- ask Mom to help. What are moms for!!!???

If you do have Lyme, the migraines will take over your life, trust me. Treatment will turn it around -- they will not get better by themselves and I know how brutal they are and feel for you.

Good luck!

[group hug]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MMMMR,

Welcome. I get the migraines and cluster headaches too. Only about two years before my Lyme diagnosis did I finally get a doctor to believe me about the pain severity. All the rest (for 12 years prior) thought I was seeking drugs, too.

How old are your children? Or did you say already?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement