LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What exactly counts as "water"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What exactly counts as "water"?
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read conflicting answers to this question many times...

so, I am looking for a definitive answer, if anyone has it [Smile]

What beverages can count toward our "water" intake?

For instance...

does ice tea count?
crystal light?
does everything else that has a water base count?

It isn't that I dont like water mind you...
but now that summer has arrived, and with that, Iced Tea season...

It would be lovely to know that I am fullfilling my water intake with a nice tall cold glass of fresh brewed tea and lemon wedges.

Thanks in advance,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say from experience that water is the only thing that counts as water,,,,

the others you mentioned are full of added stuff that does not allow your body to properly hydrate and absorb

I drink 3 liters of water a day with added electrolites as well as 1/4 tsp of celtic sea salt to every liter for good hydration.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body metbolizes H2O the rest of the stuff is extra.

As long as the drink has mostly H2O in it (not 200 proof booze for example) it will be absorbed by the body. I am sure that some aditives will reduce the absorption and if you sweating a lot can even make you sick but as long as ther is lot of water then it really just water.

Have you tried the demin re-ozmosis bottled water like Dasani. They actually taste OK. I see than than are now adding a little bit of flavor to them then these takste OK also.

Still nothing beats a cabonated drink like diet pepsi for stripping the slimmy gun from the mouth.

At least that The way i think it works.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
I may be wrong but I believe caffeine takes away from the water total, being a diuretic. (you might have to drink extra to compensate) Decaf tea might be better than high octane. The same for herbals.

I may also be wrong on this part but I think lemon in the tea makes it easier to hold onto. (well, that's anecdotal, I seem to have to pee less if I have lemon in my tea, lol.)

Although, water contained in food counts toward daily fluid intake.

There's always the possibility I made this whole thing up, too. [Razz]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie,
Just as a casual reminder, the water goes "UNDER" the canoe , and it makes it boyuant. Except for the triple heavies in MY boat. You only have light weight's in your boat cuz it has slipped your memor.
Next refresher course on water IS follow the "VEE". See how much(little) I can retain???
Everything else in the cooler is for 'drinking', which is a waste of water so may as well just drink margiritia's(sp).
Set back and 'enjoy' the ride.The scenerery and enjoy the great, wonderful, stupendous,once in never "often' enough company!!!
I actually enjoy rocks in my water , OR water on the rocks!!!
Bring on the water, rocks, scenery, and the "COMPANY" and I am a happy camper/aka floater. And the food isnt bad there either, uless you dont like fresh organic beef burgers and top cut of sirloin steak.ribeye, and of course the trusty dusty T-Bone steak. Anybody allergic to said items or have 'other' preferences, Now would be the time to announce same!!! Now here in THIS state it is a golden rule that you eat over 80 billion tons of dirt every day. It sure beats the alternative of eatting under that weight of dirt. We "CAN" vote on the most adored and favorite cook for a camp time idol of the pots and pans!!!At his command we can volunteer several helpers to wash the dishes for the 'next go round'. In 3 or 4 more hours!!!!@
Anyway, nobody moves too far and too fast. All we have to assure that everywon is completely satisfied and content in 'what everyone and each of us experienced the most profitable, most rested, most enjoyed time together ever imaginable

So Melanie, glad, so VERY glad you brought up the water topic and see what a strange demented man can twist it into??? Talk about a fine twist too.
Bring water, lots of water, drink tons of water and rasise the creek level a 'wee' bit and gently increase water level/tempature at same time. In my former life I would have done same, only with beer vs water on rocks!!!
re all ourselves that whn we leave that we had maximum water and crusiene experents

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don....I know what you're talking about ... but I'm sure others are going to think you've totally LOST IT after reading your treastise [sp]!!! [Eek!] [lol]

Melanie....Yes, caffeine dehydrates you...so go easy on that.

I think the best answer is Water is Water...just my humble opinion....which may not be worth much!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since caffeine is a diuretic, I would try to drink an extra glass of water to replace the loss of water. So, a glass of water for every glass of tea.

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's also the conundrum(sp?) of water being a diuretic, itself. Drinking too much will also dehydrate you. Adding lemon or alternating with other beverages also works.

Glad I could help with the confusion. [Big Grin]

`

`

`

quote:
originally posted by just don:

At his command we can volunteer several helpers to wash the dishes for the 'next go round'

Ah, glad I'm not a him, I don't cook, but don't mind dishes. [Cool]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going purely by definition?

Water intake:
When a nutritionist talkes about drinking water- they mean WATER. Not water substitutes like ice tea- snow cones, soft drinks milk coffee etc.

Fluid intake:
Everything would count if you were talking about FLUID intake- i.e. as for someone with kidney failure, who had to resitrict FLUIDS.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcook60
Member # 5579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcook60     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wondered about this issue for years and years. within the last 2 years or so, i read studies which pretty much DEBUNKED the idea that liquid in tea/coffee/soda does not count as WATER.

OF COURSE it does. no-brainer. this study indicated that caffeine is NOT dehydrating you; it does make you empty your bladder fast, of course.

i can't find the study (of course; lymebrain). but believe what you want, and push the plain water, if you like, but please be sure it is purified in some way, and NOT CHLORINATED CITY H20, if you are going to drink a lot of it. dianne

Posts: 21 | From spokane, WA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that same study that said if you are a habitual caffeine drinker, say coffee every morning, your body adapts to the daily caffeine intake, and it does not have the same dehydrating effect on your body as someone who rarely drinks it.

This means you could count the cup or two of coffee or iced tea to your total water intake, according to "them".

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are trying to reduce stress to your immune system you might be consuming very limited amounts of caffine, sugar(booze is in this group), artifical sweateners and perhaps milk. This makes water WATER.

Water quality is another issue and thread-

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you each for your replies! You each make a very good argument for what does and does not count as ``water''. (this is exactly why I have been confused...and still am to some degree [Smile] )

I can see the difference between fluid intake and water intake. I suppose I was referring more to the old standard ``8 glasses of water'' thing.

Plus I do know that we should be guzzling even more than the standard with these illnesses...so, I was trying to decipher what would count toward that total.

I guess I will just keep trying to drink the standard 8 of pure water and allow any extra to be other water based beverages.

Thanks everyone! I do appreciate you!
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowflake
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowflake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don you are hilarious!!!!

I know exactly what you are talking about - the Lyme Float. What is the date and place? Send me a pm. Tell me all about it! I would love to have a 'wee' old time.

ARE there FREAKING TICKS??? Do you really camp because I can't deal with ticks.

--------------------
We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand... and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.

Posts: 221 | From the hills | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can drink too much water.

By that I mean, over the last few days I felt really thirsty, couldn't quench my thirst. So I drank a few extra glasses of water than my normal--I started getting bloated!

It's like my body can't metabolize(for lack of a better word)all of the water that I consumed so it's just storing it around my middle.

So I think 8 glasses or about that should be the maximum(at least for me).

Luckily, my strong thirst has subsided(what was that about?).

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement