LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Treating Myself, Maybe the Kids, Help Please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Treating Myself, Maybe the Kids, Help Please!
metasequoia
Member # 9325

Icon 4 posted      Profile for metasequoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a doc & based on my symptoms, he believes I have LD. I feel like I knew more than him & he wanted to give me 500mg amox & I asked him to up it to 3,000 a day for a month & he said he'd refill that more if I asked.
How do I know when to stop taking it? I've heard to take it until symptoms stop,plus 2 more months.

I have had dizziness & sore knees for a month. 2 days ago I developed a burning skin sensation. Does this still sound like "early dissemintaed?"

Now, please, no bashing for this, looking for advice, not arguments...
I don't know when I got LD (or if I actually have it, but symptoms all point to yes.) Everything started a month ago. I am breastfeeding a 3 yr old & 12 week old. My doctor ordered blood tests for LD & all co-infections for all of us(through Quest with a request for the bands.) I am testing myself through IGENEX for western blot for Lyme IGG & IGM. I could take my antibiotics & continue to nurse & keep testing them. Or I could give formula & just treat them to make sure we get any possible Lyme (does that make sense for just LD testing or should I do co-infection too?)
If I am taking antibiotics, won't that prevent me from passing it to them?
I really want the baby to have the benefits of breastmilk if possible. After 12 weeks of breastfeeding, if I haven't given it to him, will he be safe with me on antibiotics?
Should I just give him antibiotics?

I am so lost, I wish the doctor I saw could lead me, I am tired of trying to make the right decision.

--------------------
~Erin

Posts: 58 | From SE PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating yourself and kids sounds dangerous to me.

What worked for me in the beginning was having the GP work with a Lyme doctor to treat me until I could get in to see the Lyme doctor. Same with the kids pediatrician.

I believe my two year old was infected via my breastmilk. I only took antibiotics the last few months of breastfeeding so I'm not sure if being on antibiotics will keep you from passing it on.

What you really need to do is contact a LLMD and see if they will work with your doctor and the pediatrician for treatment. Go to the Seeking Doctor forum and ask for a LLMD referral.

Sorry I couldn't answer more of your questions.
Best wishes!

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metasequoia
Member # 9325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for metasequoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I knew what the chances were of passing it through breastmilk.Someone asked me these questions:

What if I took antibiotics & my nursling took antibiotics, would that prevent it or cure it if he had it?

Will the antibiotics going through my breastmilk kill any bacteria in *his* body?

If I stop nursing, should I just give them abx without testing, assuming they have it? Or watch for symptoms?

--------------------
~Erin

Posts: 58 | From SE PA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia *has* been shown in studies to be alive in human breast milk, so yes it CAN be transferred.

im not your children's mother, you obiviously are. BUT if I were you and ONLY if I were you,
I wouldn't breast feed my kids- though breast milk is something I didn't want to deprive my children of, I definately do want to deprive them of lyme.

I know a LLMD in lancaster and he will treat kids. He is cheap. May take your insurance. Contact me for information on him.
Jodie

--------------------
You want your life back? Take it.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Met...
Breaking this up by hitting enter often & doublespacing between each paragraph for us neuro lymies so we can read/comprehend. Thanks for doing this in the future. You can edit/pencil icon your text posts any time.

Changing topic title can be done on your 1st post only ... be specific please to catch people's attention & their limited time.

quote:
Originally posted by metasequoia:

I went to a doc & based on my symptoms, he believes I have LD. I feel like I knew more than him & he wanted to give me 500mg amox & I asked him to up it to 3,000 a day for a month & he said he'd refill that more if I asked.

How do I know when to stop taking it? I've heard to take it until symptoms stop,plus 2 more months.

I have had dizziness & sore knees for a month. 2 days ago I developed a burning skin sensation. Does this still sound like "early dissemintaed?"

Now, please, no bashing for this, looking for advice, not arguments...

I don't know when I got LD (or if I actually have it, but symptoms all point to yes.) Everything started a month ago.

I am breastfeeding a 3 yr old & 12 week old. My doctor ordered blood tests for LD & all co-infections for all of us(through Quest with a request for the bands.)

I am testing myself through IGENEX for western blot for Lyme IGG & IGM. I could take my antibiotics & continue to nurse & keep testing them.

Or I could give formula & just treat them to make sure we get any possible Lyme (does that make sense for just LD testing or should I do co-infection too?)

If I am taking antibiotics, won't that prevent me from passing it to them?

I really want the baby to have the benefits of breastmilk if possible. After 12 weeks of breastfeeding, if I haven't given it to him, will he be safe with me on antibiotics?
Should I just give him antibiotics?

I am so lost, I wish the doctor I saw could lead me, I am tired of trying to make the right decision.

STOP breastfeeding your 2 kids; you don;t want to pass lyme along to them. Others gave you good advise too.

Print off TREEPATROL'S NEWBIE LINKS ... look there about this subject to read more details ok..

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
metasequoia
Member # 9325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for metasequoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I stop, should I treat?

--------------------
~Erin

riversinger
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating Lyme disease is a very complex issue. Treating children with Lyme is another whole thing, and the possibilities of transmission through breasmilk yet another.

This is more than you can handle on your own, even if you are able to learn everything possible. There are just too many factors involved. And there is no one answer that is true every time.

If it is at all possible for you to consult with a knowledgeable doctor, especially one with experience treating small children, please do!!! If that doctor can and will train your own doctor, all the better. But you NEED the knowledge now, to make the best choices for your children.

I see that you are working hard to learn, as fast as you can. You obviously love your children. This is just a huge task, and you need help. I hope, for everyone's sake, that whatever treatment is needed is simple, and later, you wonder what the fuss was.

Instead of wishing you had been able to do more, sooner.

Best wishes to you.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efsd25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for efsd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't mess around with your childrens health. See Dr. J in New Haven, CT. He is a world renown Lyme pedestrian. We fly out from Seattle for him to treat our son. He has treated thousands of children for Lyme and the coinfections, and is absolutly the best on our planet.

Parents from England and Australia are flying in with their children for him to treat them. You cannot go wrong here.

Hope this helps!
Ernie

Posts: 546 | From Cascadia subduction zone | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Ernie, I thoroughly agree with you in your praise of Dr. Jones, but I did get a chuckle out of your typo in your hurry to be sure you got your point across.

[quote]
He is a world renown Lyme pedestrian.
[unquote]

He is that and a great pediatrician as well!

And, Metasequoia, (are you a tall person?)
I think consulting with the doctor Jodie suggested is your best bet for now. I sure wish you and your children the best.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement