LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fundraising for Lyme - I need HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fundraising for Lyme - I need HELP!
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright, both me and my girlfriend have had lyme for 2 years; I was misdiagnosed for 8 months at Duke - with many docs laughing at me. I was a patient of Dr. J and now since I moved to Boston, I am a patient of Dr. D.

I have decided that I need to get involved in the area where I can add most value: business. I am a graduate student at Harvard - with experience and contacts in venture capital (i.e. people with lots of money).

I need to prepare a presentation - maximum 10 pages of slides, not too dense, but professional. I can then circulate among the people I meet and interact with - and hopefully manage to raise some money for the Columbia center.

Where do I start? I need to work with people who have an institution/association behind them - so we can legally raise funds. Can people help me in making this presentation?

Thank you!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the LDA website -- www.lymediseseassociation.org and then scroll down to the video Literati for Lyme, toward the end of the home page. Dr. Fallon presented a fabulous 30 minute powerpoint on Lyme that would fit what you are looking for, I think.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudos to YOU, durham! I wish you the best....and keep us posted!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Durham, get in touch with the folks at the Columbia Lyme Center. I'm sure they'd appreciative any assistance you can lend to help their fundraising efforts.

http://www.timeforlyme.org/

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Durham,

Cool! Good-luck.

Wonder if you could also convince the stockholders or would-be stockholders in the companies for whom the "other guys" are working that the "other guys" need to clean up their act and stop harassing the very community they presumably want to market to eventually. Would any of us be comfortable taking meds or vaccines or tests developed by someone we didn't think cared about the well-being of patients even if those products seemed on the surface promising?

Also wonder if you and your contacts could identify and support a new generation of promising researchers interested in studying treatments for Lyme and related illnesses who would like to remain completely independent from the "other guys" (perhaps working abroad)?

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NewDurham,

Hi. Thank you for doing this!!!!

I would definitely be in touch w. Dr. Fallon and put your proposal before him - he may know exactly what info you need to present. Sending you a PM now.

THANK YOU.

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOORAY ... [bow] Durham has a great idea and is going places with it! We're all so proud of you representing us all!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
duplicate

[ 19. June 2006, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I just thought of 2 good places to go for references to use as quotes/ pictures for the presentation. I do not know if permission will be needed to reproduce the high-magnifcation photos.

1. Lancet article that came out last Fall - the Lancet being an extremely prestigious British journal. About the scientifically documented make-up of the Bb spirochete, which made it "one of the most evasive and harmful bacteria known to man." Powerful info about its lethal nature.

2. article with incredible color photos documenting the Bb spirochete going into the cyst form, thereby causing it to elude both the immune system and the abx, and also evading test detection.

New Durham, I've saved these articles but will have to dig thru my files. Can you give me 24-36 hours to dig up the citations and any website links? (Have several Drs app'ts today).

If anyone else has them do pass them along of course.

This is documented and scientific stuff. The folks who claim Lyme can be cured w/in 2-4 weeks must simply not be reading anything, because this scientific and evidence-based information is there.

Thanks again!!!!
(I also have a couple of questions for you that I'd prefer to send to your private email)

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newdurham77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newdurham77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses. If you have any info that you want to forward me, please email at [email protected]. I also have access to any medical articles through my school's online library. I am however hesitant to enter the debate in the presentation; it would be much more impactful to present the actual impact of the bacteria, and the posible connections that lyme has within the medical world (ALS, MS, etc).

I hope to have the presentation ready within the next 2-3 weeks. Of course, I can circulate afterwards to anyone who is interested.

Thank you again!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement