LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Fish Oil with "mercury removed" safe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Fish Oil with "mercury removed" safe?
char
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bottle of Spring Valley Fish oil capsules here.

Bottle reads: purified to remove mercury,PCB's and dioxins

Do you believe it is safe to take?

Char

[ 25. June 2006, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: char ]

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean that Omega-3 and Omega-6 fish oil upplements (including Evening Primrose Oil) could have mercury in them?

Yikes.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fish is very dirty and contaminated. the oil also goes rancid quickly in the body. why start with something like that in the first place when you can take clean hemp oil or black currant seed oil. both of these are clean to start with. they have the EFAs (omega 3, ect) in perfect ratios for human health. additionally, they have GLA.
Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People!!!

1. Not ALL fish is "dirty and contaminated". This statement is without scientific credibility.

In fact, Wild Salmon and Cod are quite clean, as are many other fish.

2. NOT ALL OMEGA 3'S are EQUAL!!!!

The only place we find EPA (Elocaspentaenoic Acid)
and
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)

Is....IN FISH!!!! No plant products have these particular Omega 3 Fatty Acids, and none of the other Omega 3's have the same health benefits.

Entire populations have lived on a fish-based diet for centuries and they have healthy hearts and no ill effects from fish consumption.

Of course we should shy away from Swordfish, mackeral, Shark, Tile fish, FARM RAISED (except Organic Farms) fish because of the high Mercury levels and pesticide and PCB contamination. Although Mercury levels in non-pregnant adults has NOT been proven to cause harm (at normal levels).

To paint all fish with the same brush is just irresponsible and naive, at best.

All fish oil capsules are purified. The oils are ABSORBED into the body...they do not lay around to become rancid, any more than Olive Oil does.

To know a little science is dangerous...to think one knows about oils when one has heard than oils can become rancid (cooking Olive Oil past its flashpoint can turn the oil into Free Radicals) and then deduct that oils become rancid in the body is JUNK SCIENCE!!!

Stop with the scare tactics already!!! ENOUGH!!!!

It is bad enough we are dealing with an S.O.B. of a disease, we do not need to be confused by garbage!!

Even Mercury has been proven in recent scientific studies NOT to hinder the development of children as, some want us to believe.

If Mercury fillings were so bad, we would all be sick (we are not sick from Mercury) and we would not be living longer...which we are!

Of course, this does not excuse "Fat America" from having disgusting eating habits...

Your Fish Oil is fine...I keep mine in the fridge...but that is not really necessary...the stores all keep Fish Oil on the shelves, and the label does not say "Refidgerate".

One of the main ingrediants in the healthiest diet in the world, The Mediterranean Diet, is FISH...along with tomaotoes, freah veggies, and olive oil...very litle meat and refined carbs.

Be healthy!

Peace, love and wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about Spring Valley. I buy Fisol from www.vitacost.com It's a very good price and no fishy taste AT ALL. I'm a little cautious about the cheap brands. Just my 2 cents.

I can't seem to find wild salmon anymore. All we have around here is farm raised.

I think I'm going to contact Schwan's. I hear they have quality fish.

Anybody have other sources?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for break the chains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no proof that mercury is harmful you say? maybe if you think the government is putting out the absolute truth that position is understandable. maybe its like the government has come out saying lately, that mecury is good for you and developing children. i have seen autisic children, i have seen the severe damage.

ALL Thimerosal Vaccine In
The 1990s Had Mercury MORE
TOXIC Than Hazardous Waste
http://rense.com/general71/toxx.htm

"http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/mercury/regs.htm#hazwaste

This is a federal law that applies to all states:

"If mercury levels in a waste exceed the Toxicity Characteristic Leach Test (TCLP) level of 0.2 mg/L for mercury, then the waste is identified as a hazardous waste based on the toxicity characteristic".
Note that most vaccines administered during the 1990's to infants (all children younger than two were subject to the mandatory vaccine schedule) contained levels of thimerosal consistent with those solutions being hundreds of times more toxic than hazardous waste according to the above set-forth EPA webiste. Presently, flu vaccine contains 50 mg/l of mercury from the thimerosal preservative. The concentration of mercury in the flu vaccine (containing thimerosal) being recommended to babies and pregnant women is 250 Times more toxic than the above level the EPA considers to be hazardous waste."

Posts: 245 | From connecticut, the lyme state | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

"Make certain that your fish oil or cod liver oil has therapeutic levels of vitamin E in it.

Nearly all manufacturers insert a small amount of one unit per teaspoon. This is sufficient to prevent oxidation of the fish oil in the bottle. However, after you consume it this is woefully inadequate. Your body will tend to oxidize the fish oil and much larger doses of vitamin E are needed to prevent the fish oil from going rancid in your body.

There are several high-quality fish oils on the market, but most of them are not and you are playing Russian roulette with your health unless you do your homework."

- Dr Mercola
http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/12/fish_oil_heart.htm

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

"Fish oil is primarily EPA and DHA, both of which are extremely unsaturated. And, as we all know, the greater the degree of unsaturation, the greater the propensity to go rancid. When these oils go rancid (or "go off" as the Brits put it) they don't go from being healthful to simply becoming neutral, they actually convert to harmful oxidized fats called lipid peroxides.

Lipid peroxides can (and do) start free radical cascades that can damage fatty cellular membranes. At the very least lipid peroxides consume the body's stores of vitamin E and other antioxidants to neutralize them, leaving the body short of many of its natural defenses."
- Michael R. Eades, M.D.

break the chains
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5668

"Linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) go through a series of metabolic steps such as a series of elongation and desaturation reactions to be converted - LA to arachidonic acid and ALA to EPA and DHA. This competition of the omega-3 and omega-6 pathways for enzymatic activity is one of the main arguments in favour of direct consumption of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA and EPA in marine oils."
http://www.chiro.org/nutrition/FULL/Marine_vs_Veggie_Omega-3.html

"Hemp seed oil is a relatively rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and is one of the few plant seed oils containing more than small amounts of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). ALA concentrations in hemp seed oil range from approximately 15% to 25%. GLA concentration ranges from approximately 1% to 6%.
ALA, GLA, linoleic acid and all fatty acids in hemp seed oil are present in the form of triglycerides or neutral fats."
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/hem_0133.shtml

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps of more concern than the mercury is the high level of vitamin D in fish and fish oil. The bacteria have already disrupted our vitamin D handling, and adding more via diet may only make the infection worse.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call the manufacturer of the oil & ask for a PPM of Merc.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prescription Omega 3????

Anyone heard of Omacor, which is an Omega 3 acid ethyl esters.

My doc mentioned it last time I was there but I really dont know much about it but since I have scrip coverage it would be nice to save a couple bucks.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbroderick
Member # 5220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbroderick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just took a look at the Omacor website. It says that it contains 840 mg. of concentrated omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. As far as I know, fish oils aren't polyunsaturated. I would think that you would want to get the Omega 3 fatty acids as close to their natural state as possible. None of the fish oils that I've ever gotten said anything about polyunsaturated.

Lymetoo, I've seen wild salmon at the Walmart fish counter! We ate lots of it last winter when it was only $3.00/lb!!!

Posts: 2097 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WEll, our WalMart doesn't get enough traffic I guess...because I've bought it a few times and it was close to being bad. I quit buying it. It doesn't even look good. Thanks, though.

Anybody else buy it online somewhere?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can stand that stink?! I stick with Flaxseed Oil.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo
I dont know any brand names but I know I read somewhere that most canned salmon is wild caught.

I get the fresh at my local supermarket and then load my freezer at the end of the season.

You could ask your wallmart when they get the shipment in and then be there that day.

FROZEN WILD SALMON !!!WARNING!!!
During the winter I bought a bag of this and when I got it home saw the fine print = "product of China"

I took it back. So many organic things now come from china you have to look at the small print on everything & I so often forget till I get home.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by sofy:
[FROZEN WILD SALMON !!!WARNING!!!
During the winter I bought a bag of this and when I got it home saw the fine print = "product of China"

[/QB]

I've seen that here!! Somehow I don't trust their "organic" !

Good idea about the Wal Mart thing. Thanks.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This talks about mercury toxicity - only use fish oil from reputable sources. I used fish oil from Pharmax for many years. It is the finest pure fish oil emulsified with prebiotics and fruit purees. They also have it in capsules. Medicine Man in Seattle sells it at a discount.

Biopure has a great one that is also constantly tested for purity.

Fish Oil - Krill Oil

The fatty acid complexes EPA and DHA in fish oil make the red and white blood cells more flexible thus improving the microcirculation of the brain, heart and other tissues. All detoxification functions depend on optimal oxygen delivery and blood flow.

EPA and DHA protect the brain from viral infections and are needed for the development of intelligence and eye-sight.

The most vital cell organelle for detoxification is the peroxisome. These small structures are also responsible for the specific job each cell has: in the pineal gland the melatonin is produced in the peroxisome, in the neurons dopamine and norepinephrine, etc. It is here, where mercury and other toxic metal attach and disable the cell from doing its work.

Other researchers have focused on the mitochondria and other cell organelles, which in our experience are damaged much later. The cell is constantly trying to make new peroxisomes to replace the damaged ones- for that task it needs an abundance of fatty acids, especially EPA and DHA.

Until recently it was believed, that the body can manufacture its own EPA/DHA from other Omega 3 fatty acids such as fish oil. Today we know that this process is slow and cannot keep up with the enormous demand for EPA/DHA our systems have in today's toxic environment. Fish oil is now considered an essential nutrient, even for vegetarians.

Recent research also revealed that the transformation humans underwent when apes became intelligent and turned into humans happened only in coastal regions, where the apes started to consume large amounts of fish. Why not benefit from that knowledge and consume more fish oil?

The fatty acids in fish oil are very sensitive to exposure to electromagnetic fields, temperature, light and various aspects of handling and processing. Trans fatty acids, long chain fatty acids, renegade fats and other oxidation products and contaminants are frequently found in most commercial products. Ideally, fish oil should be kept in an uninterrupted cooling chain until it ends up in the patient's fridge.

The fish-source should be mercury and contaminant free, which is becoming harder and harder. Fish oil should taste slightly fishy but not too much. If there is no fish taste, too much processing and manipulation has destroyed the vitality of the oil. If it tastes too fishy, oxidation products are present. I recommend to use the product recommended below (grade I), where meticulous care has been taken to comply with all the necessary parameters. The clinical results are outstanding.

Dosage: 1 capsule Omega 3 taken 4 times/day during the active phase of treatment, 1 caps. twice/day for maintenance. Best if taken together with chlorella.

The VegiPearls (Biopure) contain half the amount of EPA/DHA. The vegetarian capsules eliminate even the most remote possibility of containing prions and make the idea of taking fish oil more easily acceptable for vegetarians.

Recently a fatty acid receptor has been discovered on the tongue, joining the other more known taste receptors. If the capsules are chewed, the stomach and pancreas start to prepare the digestive tract in exactly the right way to prepare for maximum absorption. Children love chewing the VegiPearls (Biopure)

To treat bipolar depression, post partum depression and other forms of mental disease, 2000 mg ofEPA are needed/day (David Horrobin). For the modulation of malignancies, 120 mg of EPA 4 times/day are needed. The calculations can easily be done with the information given on the label.

(from Dr. K.)

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement