LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » False positive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: False positive
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex states on there site that Rhematoid disease and EB can interfere with Western Blot. I cannot find any info on that on the web. I did find " some " info to the contrary. Anybody have any idea. If so.many people have positive EB virus with no symptoms and probably have never been checked. This could really raise the # of false positives no??
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has stated multiple times that Igenix can have cross-reactivity. She prefers MDL.

I know many people think MDL is not sensitive enough. I had tested about 20 times negative through quest and the first western blot through MDL was positive.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW after checking on the CDC site. They state that approx 95% 0f adults have been exposed to EB virus. This really could interfere with testing don't ya think....
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it could, but lets be honest, the testing sucks as it is.

When a person refers to false positives, and yes they do occur, its a rather complex issue.

First, false positives occur in the sense of usually non Borrelia specific banding patterns with the Western Blot, but they have enough bands to be considered positive.

Secondly, though yes, a whole lotta people have been exposed to the EBV virus, that form of false positivity only refers to active infection with EBV.

So, either ya got some kind of cancer, which can happen, though is not incredibly frequent (EBV is a cause of Lymphoma sometimes)

The main reason this kinda thing occurs in the presense of active Mononucleosis, which is NOT the same thing as having EBV virus detectable in your body.

There is a certain level required to reach an active infection/reinfection with EBV and its rather high, so this kind of false positive Lyme testing thing is really most relavent to teenagers who are just starting to date, ie: kiss, because Mono's the kissing disease.

False positives aren't the problem, false negatives are the problem.

Better yet, Microbiology is the problem, there is no good test that accuratly reflects genetic diversity among borrelia species, accounts for the complex imunological interactions with multiple pathogens, and is specific enough to only test for Borrelia species.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LYMESCIENCE:
False positives aren't the problem, false negatives are the problem.

Seems to me that EB MIGHT cause reactivity of ONE band, but not multiple bands...?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

OK this is very interesting. Which band would react?? and why does a RA factor interfere?? How namy bands would that interfere with???
keh
Member # 9089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I tested very positive for Epstein Barr and then Igenex positive for Lyme. So, if I am positive for Epstein Barr then I could have a false positive for Lyme?
Posts: 35 | From baltimore, md & nj | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daveappen
Member # 9291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveappen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it need to be active EBV in order for it to affect the Western Blot test for Lyme? It shouldn't right?

If you've been infected with EBV at any point in your life, you would most likely have the antibodies even after the virus has gone dormant right? So, pretty much, if you've ever been infected with EBV (they say 95% of all people have been infected at some point), then this would affect your Western Blot Lyme test. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Posts: 27 | From CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

This is what I'm getting at boys and girls...I hope someone has more info. There have been more then 1 report about Igenex having to many positives...Scary
daveappen
Member # 9291

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveappen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does getting a bullseye bruise absolutely mean you have Lyme?
Posts: 27 | From CA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call Igenex and ask them these questions. They are very helpful and happy to answer questions.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daveappen:
Does getting a bullseye bruise absolutely mean you have Lyme?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

==================
6ft:

CALL IGENEX FOR THE ANSWERS! It is a disservice to suffering lymies to make them think they don't really have it when they probably DO.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I didn't explain this false positive thing awell enough in my previous post. To my knowledge, and I'll check on this just in case there has been 1 case, or perhaps 2, that occured in the presence of NON EBV MONO. Perhaps these events occured in Hodgekins Lymphoma or Non Hodgekins Lymphoma, so I'll check on that.

However, for the VAST majority of people who test positive for both diseases. You have Lyme as Lyme is FAR more common than TRUE Chronic Active EBV, which does exist, but is INCREDIBLY UNCOMMON. Check out studies from Baylor University researches on this disease. I can't state enough how INCREDIBLY RARE TRUE CAEBV IS.

So, do these antibodies that currulate in our blood for 95 percent of the worlds population account for false positive Lyme Western blots, NO, unless it meets the exceptions listed above (cancer, Mono, or TRUE CHRONIC ACITVE EPSTEIN BARR VIRUS).

So, I'll reiterate, unless your EBV IgG titer for antibodies exceeds 1:640 IgG, then you don't have a false positive Lyme Western Blot, and even if this is the case where, strangly you do have active EBV at a level above or equal to 1:640IgG, then it still doesn't prove false positivity. You could have both diseases, or a number of other possibilities, ie: infection with HH6 cross reacting with EBV to produce such a titer, and hence you actually have HH6 and Lyme.

The key is with these issues, when they arrise is someone who really does have an EBV titer above or equal to 1:640IgG and a strongly positve Wesern Blot IgG, then more testing is required to hammer out these complex immunological issues.

But, the idea that Igenex has all kinds of extra "positives" because of so many people that have EBV is bogus because that argument only applies to a rather select population.

Igenex has more positives than other labs for Western blots for several reasons. One is the level of exerperience of the staff (they perform these tests A LOT, and this is a test whose accuracy changes with the skill of the technition), 2, they use more than one genetic variant of Borrelia Burgdorferri to account for greater genetic diversity than other labs using strain B31 (a strain of Lyme Disease that blots primarily for ACTIVE Lyme Arthritis but poorly for other forms of Lyme, and for Lyme contracted in areas OTHER than Old Lyme, Conn, and lastly because they include different banding patterns and criteria than other labs.

IGenex lists the full banding patterns for Borrelia, whereas other labs omit Borrelia specific bands such as those used for Vaccine developmen (these are the bands that will not show up on a false positive b/c they happen only in borrelia infections past or present). As Igenex has a positive critera, and the CDC has a positive critera, when one is tested at Igenex, both criteria are used. The critera is less restrictive for Igenex, but both are listed.

So, though I tried to make this a more simple topic, others, who may or may not comprehend the above still question. However, such is life, and I can't say I don't do the same. If you still feel uncertain about how, or why this happens, and don't grasp the above comments, well, if you care that much, its time for you to do the research......my brain's tired now so that's all your getting from me.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymescience, Thanks so much for your answer. In my case having a high rhematoid factor ( according to Igenex ) can cross react with the western blot. (One small line on their web site ) . I too have looked into it but cannot find too much on this subject,other then responses like " it could " Possibly " rarely" etc regarding RA factor and Lyme tests..So if you have RA, Lupus etc or maybe any autoimmune problem I guess coss reactivity exists. When you look at CFS Fibro, Lyme sites you see many of the same symptoms and many have said that they may all be in the autoimmune family...Thanks again Lymescience
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm so glad lymescience could explain all that to you, because I certainly can't!! [Wink]

Have you started treatment for Lyme? How is that going? Any response?

Have you been here?:

www.roadback.org

Many RA patients are finding success with antibiotics....So they either have Lyme or some other bacterial agent at work in their bodies.....in my opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Yes have a llmd.....12 weeks on Doxy, so far no big improvement
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

quote:
Originally posted by 6t5frlane:
Lymescience, Thanks so much for your answer. In my case having a high rhematoid factor ( according to Igenex ) can cross react with the western blot. (One small line on their web site ) . I too have looked into it but cannot find too much on this subject,other then responses like " it could " Possibly " rarely" etc regarding RA factor and Lyme tests..So if you have RA, Lupus etc or maybe any autoimmune problem I guess coss reactivity exists. When you look at CFS Fibro, Lyme sites you see many of the same symptoms and many have said that they may all be in the autoimmune family...Thanks again Lymescience

You're very welcome my friend!

Its my understanding that the RA association is much less clear than false positivity on the Western Blot with active Mono where this occurance can be demonstrated in a rather scientific manner(the exclusionairy tests for EBV are excellent, and can be performed with extremely high levels of specificity and sensitivity)

The thinking is that most arthritis(save gout-uric acid) is indeed microbial in nature, so the false positives which have occured in RA patients were likley the result of a related bacterium (likely spirochetal-though it may or may not have been Borrelia in genus), or combination of slow growth bacterial infectious agents.

So, that is quite a difficult immunological conundrum when encountered.

Here is one example of how difficult Arthritis conditions can be to Lyme Diagnosis when they co-exist.

My father has gout. Gout is relativly simple to dianose, though most people think it can be diagnosed easily through a blood test, this is not exactly true.

Gout can be definitivly diagnosed durring an attack. A buildup of fluid is usually present durring such an attack, and a needle can extract the fluid to look for the uric acid cystals- confirmation of Gout.

Well, my father started having other arthritis problems that were a bit different from his normal gout(which was painful to the touch), and his rhumatologist assumed his gout had spread to other joints (not a far fetched idea, this kind of thing is very well documented). However, my father also had other symptoms, which were not common in gout, so being Lyme litterate, I had him tested on the Western Blot IgM and IgG for Lyme.

He was highly positive on both for the CDC and Igenex criteria for both the IgG and IgM.

Now, how did we asses Dad's condition in this difficult clinical case.

We had to look at the banding pattern, and we had to see his response to antibiotics. The big clues in the differential in my father's case were his strongly postive bands in Borrelia genus specific bands. This would not be expected to occur in a gout false positve Western Blot.

Second, my father had definite herxheimers in response to antibiotics, though he claimed he did not.

How can I say he did, well I asked him in good detail about everything he felt after taking his medicine, and sure enough, a few hours after antibiotics, he was in terrible pain, and his legs begain to burn in a stinging sort of way. Then he would have shooting pains down both his legs, and he would get somewhat tired.

But, he did not have a great idea of what a herx actually was, so to him, he had just worked too hard, or "fill in the blank"

So, I hope this helps you to understand the things to be looking for when you encounter this difficult diagnositic scenerio.

Also, improvement is not gaurenteed on one antibiotic such as Doxycycline. My advice is that if things are not improving, you must take the initiative to find out why. That includes trying a larger dose, trying a smaller dose, changing drugs, trying to combine drugs.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. If it turns out you don't have Lyme, and you do have something else, thats perfectly fine. Myself and others are not here to convince everyone that they have Lyme. The important thing is to make sure one does have Lyme or at the very least a strong probability of Lyme (ask us if you are unsure), then the next is finding a treatment aproach that works. Don't be discouraged if the first doesn't.

In lyme, this adage is very important to recovery, "if at first you don't succeed, try try again."

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymescience....If I post my Igenex results would you look at them and comment???
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Well the heck with it...I'll post them from last Feb

Igenex

IGG all neg except 41 which was IND

IGM Positive on the following bamds

23-25++
34 IND
39+
41+
66+
93+
According to them both CDC and Igenex positive

Recent (May )Quest testing showed a Neg western blot but poitive Elisa?
My RA factor was very high also,so thats my dilema and Neg on co infections

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Anybody else??? Should I make a new post ???
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Anybody else??? Should I make a new post ???
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I had a bad herx yesterday that put me out of commission.

Let me check your banding pattern, do some searching, and I'll give ya the best answer I can.

Remember though, that I'm not a medical doctor, and though I do understand a lot about Lyme, I'm not perfect.

However, I will try to help, so check back sometime today, and you'll see my response.

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Thanks....Hot in NC ???
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

I found a good eplanation for you. If you don't understand something, just ask and someone will come along to help.

From your banding pattern it would appear you have early localized Lyme-which can be treated if done correctly.

Now, from my own evaluation, it appears you have a very HIGH liklihood of Lyme Disease because you reacted so strongly to Outer Surface Protein C, that is Borrelia specific. But, don't take my word for it, read on.

http://www.lymenet.de/labtests/brenner.htm

Explanation of the Lyme Disease Western Blot
by
Carl Brenner
Inquiries about various issues relating to Western blot (WB) testing are frequently posted to the Lyme disease discussion groups on the Internet. Among the most commonly asked questions are:

* What laboratory techniques are used to carry out the assay?
* What exactly is being measured?
* What is a "band"?
* How are the results interpreted?
* What are the CDC criteria for a "positive" test?

Although some of the medical jargon associated with immunology can be a little overwhelming, the scientific principles behind these tests are not difficult to grasp. The following article is offered as a primer in the techniques and interpretation of Western blotting, and should help most patients navigate their way through some of the medical and scientific terminology associated with the assay.

First of all, it should be noted that the Western blot is usually performed as a follow-up to an ELISA test, which is the most commonly employed initial test for Lyme disease. "ELISA" is an acronym for "enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay." There are ELISA tests and Western blots for many infectious agents; for example, the usual testing regime for HIV is also an initial ELISA followed by a confirmatory Western blot.

Both the ELISA and the Western blot are "indirect" tests -- that is, they measure the immune system's response to an infectious agent rather than looking for components of the agent itself.

In a Lyme disease ELISA,

1. antigens (proteins that evoke an immune response in humans) from Borrelia burgdorferi (Bb) are fixed to a solid-phase medium and
2. incubated with diluted preparations of the patient's serum. If antibodies to the organism are present in the patient's blood, they will bind to the antigen.
3. These bound antibodies can then be detected when a second solution, which contains antibodies to human antibodies, is added to the preparation. Linked to these second antibodies is an enzyme which changes color when a certain chemical is added to the mix.

Although the methodology is somewhat complicated, the basic principle is simple: the test looks for antibodies in the patient's serum that react to the antigens present in Borrelia burgdorferi. If such antibodies exist in the patient's blood, that is an indication that the patient has been previously exposed to B. burgdorferi.

However, many different species of bacteria can share common proteins. Most Lyme disease ELISA's use sonicated whole Borrelia burgdorferi -- that is, they take a bunch of B. burgdorferi cells and break them down with high frequency sound waves, then use the resulting smear as the antigen in the test. It is possible that a given patient's serum can react with the B. burgdorferi preparation even if the patient hasn't been exposed to Bb, perhaps because Bb shares proteins with another infectious agent that the patient's immune system *has* encountered. For example, some patients with periodontal disease, which is sometimes associated with an oral spirochete, might test positive on a Lyme ELISA, because their sera will react to components of Bb (like the flagellar protein, which is shared by many spirochetes) even though they themselves have never been infected with Bb. Therefore, some positive Lyme disease ELISA results can be "false" positives.

To distinguish the false positives from the true positives, a more specific laboratory technique, known as immunoblotting, is used.

* The Western blot, which identifies specific antibody proteins, is but one kind of immunoblot;
* there is also a Northern blot, which separates and identifies RNA fragments,
* and a Southern blot, which does the same for DNA sequences.

In a Western blot, the testing laboratory looks for antibodies directed against a wide range of Bb proteins.

1. This is done by first disrupting Bb cells with an electrical current and then "blotting" the separated proteins onto a paper or nylon sheet. The current causes the proteins to separate according to their particle weights, measured in kilodaltons (kDa).
2. From here on, the procedure is similar to the ELISA -- the various Bb antigens are exposed to the patient's serum, and reactivity is measured the same way (by linking an enzyme to a second antibody that reacts to the human antibodies).

If the patient has antibody to a specific Bb protein, a "band" will form at a specific place on the immunoblot. For example, if a patient has antibody directed against outer surface protein A (OspA) of Bb, there will be a WB band at 31 kDa. By looking at the band pattern of patient's WB results, the lab can determine if the patient's immune response is specific for Bb.

Here's where all the problems come in. Until recently, there has never been an agreed-upon standard for what constitutes a positive WB. Different laboratories have used different antigen preparations (say, different strains of Bb) to run the test and have also interpreted results differently.

* Some required a certain number of bands to constitute a positive result,
* others might require more or fewer.
* Some felt that certain bands should be given more priority than others.
* In late 1994, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) convened a meeting in Dearborn, Michigan [1] in an attempt to get everybody on the same page, so that there would be some consistency from lab to lab in the methodology and reporting of Western blot results.

Before we get to the recommendations that resulted from this meeting, we need to understand one more facet of the human immune response. Many patients have noticed that their Western blot report usually contains two parts: IgM and IgG. These are immunoglobulins (antibody proteins) produced by the immune system to fight infection.

1. IgM is produced fairly early in the course of an infection, while
2. IgG response comes later.

Some patients might already have an IgM response at the time of the EM rash; IgG response, according to the traditional model, tends to start several weeks after infection and peak months or even years later. In some patients, the IgM response can remain elevated; in others it might decline, regardless of whether or not treatment is successful.

Similarly, IgG response can remain strong or decline with time, again regardless of treatment. Most WB results report separate IgM and IgG band patterns and the criteria for a positive result are different for the two immunoglobulins.

Finally, in setting up a nationwide standard for a positive WB, one makes several assumptions --

1. that all strains of Bb will provoke similar immune responses in all patients,
2. that all patients will mount a measurable immune response when exposed to Bb, and
3. that the IgG immune response will persist in an infected patient.

Unfortunately, none of these is always true. Therefore, a judicious interpretation of Western blot results in a clinical setting should take into account both

1. the vagaries of the human immune response and
2. the possibility that strain variations in Bb might produce unusual banding patterns.

The CDC criteria for a positive WB are as follows:

* For IgM, 2 of the following three bands: OspC (22-25), 39 and 41.
* For IgG, 5 of the following ten bands: 18, OspC (22-25), 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58, 66 and 93.

How were these recommendations arrived at? The IgG criteria were taken pretty much unchanged from a 1993 paper by Dressler, Whalen, Reinhardt and Steere [2]. In this study, the authors performed immunoblots on several dozen patients with well characterized Lyme disease and a strong antibody response and looked at the resulting blot patterns. By doing some fairly involved statistical analysis, they could determine which bands showed up most often and which best distinguished LD patients from control subjects who did not have LD. They found that by requiring 5 of the 10 bands listed, they could make the results the most specific, in their view, without sacrificing too much sensitivity. ("Sensitivity" means the ability of the test to detect patients who have the disease, "specificity" means the ability of the test to exclude those who don't. Usually, an increase in one of these measures means a decrease in the other.) The IgM criteria were determined in much the same fashion (by different authors in different papers). Fewer bands are required here because the immune response is less mature at this point. Several studies have shown that

1. the first band to show up on a Lyme disease patient's IgM blot is usually the one at 41 kDa,
2. followed by the OspC band and/or the one at 39.

The OspC and 39 kDa band are highly specific for Bb, while the 41 kDa band isn't. That's why the 41 by itself isn't considered adequate. Here's the rub, though: the CDC doesn't want the IgM criteria being used for any patient that has been sick for more than about six weeks. The thinking here is that by this time an IgG response should have kicked in and the IgM criteria, because they require fewer bands, are not appropriate for patients with later disease.

A number of criticisms have been offered of the CDC criteria since their adoption in 1994.

1. The first is centered on the CDC's failure to make any qualitative distinction among the various bands that can show up on a patient's Western blot.
A number of Lyme disease researchers feel that different bands on a WB have different relative importance -- that "all bands are not created equal."
For example,
* many patients with Lyme disease will show reactive bands at, say, 60 and/or 66 kDa. However, these correspond to common proteins in many bacteria, not just Borrelia burgdorferi, and so are of limited diagnostic usefulness, especially in the absence of other, more species-specific bands. The band at 41 kDa corresponds to Bb's flagella (the whip like organelles used for locomotion -- Bb has several) is one of the earliest to show up on the Western blots of Lyme disease patients. But for some reason it is also the most commonly appearing band in control subjects. This may be due to the fact that many people are exposed to spirochetes at some time in their lives and so their sera might cross react with this protein.

* On the other hand, certain other bands are considered highly specific for Bb -- the aforementioned
o 31 kDa band, for example, or
o 34 (OspB) or
o 39 or OspC (anywhere between 22 and 25).
Also thought to be species-specific are
o The 83 and
o 94 kDa bands.
Many Lyme disease scientists believe that any patient whose IgG Western blot exhibits bands at, say, any three (or even two) of these locations almost certainly has Lyme disease, regardless of whether or not any other bands are present. They feel that these bands on a Lyme Western blot are simply more meaningful than other, less specific ones and that a rational interpretation of a WB result should take this into account. Unfortunately, this does not often happen, and will happen even less with the new CDC criteria.

2. A second criticism of the CDC Western blot criteria is that they fail to include the 31 and 34 kDa bands.
This does indeed seem like an odd decision, since antibodies with these molecular weights correspond to the OspA and OspB proteins of B. burgdorferi, which are considered to be among the most species-specific proteins of the organism.
So why didn't Dressler et al. include them?
Answer: These bands tend to appear late if at all in Lyme disease patients, and did not show up with great frequency in the patients that the Dressler et al. group studied (though they did show up sometimes). As a result, they weren't deemed to have much diagnostic value and didn't find their way onto the CDC hot list.
However,
* while the absence of either of these bands from a patient's immunoblot result does not rule out Lyme disease,
* their presence is hardly meaningless.
Thus, many Lyme disease experts believe it is a serious mistake to exclude these two antibody proteins from the list of significant bands. The CDC's decision to do so seems particularly strange in light of the fact that it is the OspA component of Bb that is being used as the stimulating antigen in the ongoing experimental Lyme disease vaccine trials. As one immunologist remarked shortly after the 1994 CDC conference, "If OspA is so unimportant, then why the heck are we vaccinating people with it?"

3. Finally, it is important to keep in mind that no matter how carefully the Western blot test is carried out and interpreted, its usefulness, like that of all tests that measure B. burgdorferi antibodies, is ultimately contingent on the reliability of the human immune response as an indicator of exposure to B. burgdorferi. There are several scenarios in which the lack of a detectable antibody response may falsely suggest a lack of B. burgdorferi infection.
1. First, it is well established that early subcurative treatment of Lyme disease can abrogate the human immune response to B. burgdorferi [3]. Although this is not thought to be a common phenomenon, a recent comparative trial for the treatment of erythema migrans found that a majority of patients who failed early treatment and suffered clinical relapse were seronegative at the time of relapse [4]. Even treatment for disseminated Lyme disease, in which the patient's IgG immune response was previously well-established, can render a patient seronegative after treatment despite post-treatment culture-positivity for B. burgdorferi [5, 6].
2. In addition, patients with Lyme disease may not test positive for exposure to B. burgdorferi because their antibodies to the organism are bound up in immune complexes [7]. Once steps are taken to dissociate these immune complexes, free antibody can be detected; however, this is not routinely done when performing serologic tests for Lyme disease.
3. Finally, an indeterminate number of patients with late Lyme disease are simply seronegative for unknown reasons [8]. The actual percentage of such cases as a proportion of all Lyme disease cases is impossible to estimate, since most studies of late Lyme disease enroll only seropositive patients, which tends to reinforce the circular and erroneous notion that virtually all patients with late Lyme disease are seropositive.
4. It should also be noted that a positive Western blot is not necessarily an indication of active Lyme disease. A patient's immune response to B. burgdorferi can remain intact long after curative treatment for a Lyme infection; therefore, the results of a Western blot assay should always be interpreted in the context of the total clinical picture.

Addendum by Joachim Gruber: Carl Brenner is one of 2 patients who sit on the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Advisory Committee for Clinical Studies on Chronic Lyme (information from Ramp S, The dirty truth behind Lyme disease research, Lyme Times 26,7, 1999).
REFERENCES
[1] Proceedings of the Second National Conference on Serologic Diagnosis of Lyme Disease, October 27-29, 1994.
[2] Dressler F, Whalen JA, Reinhardt BN, Steere AC. Western blotting in the serodiagnosis of Lyme disease. J Infect Dis 1993;167:392-400.
[3] Dattwyler RJ, Volkman DJ, Luft BJ et al. Seronegative Lyme disease: dissociation of specific T- and B-lymphocyte responses to Borrelia burgdorferi . N Engl J Med 1988;319:1441-6.
[4] Luft BJ, Dattwyler RJ, Johnson RC et al. Azithromycin compared with amoxicillin in the treatment of erythema migrans. Ann Intern Med 1996;124:785-91.
[5] H�upl T, Hahn G, Rittig M, et al. Persistence of Borrelia burgdorferi in ligamentous tissue from a patient with chronic Lyme borreliosis. Arth Rheum 1993;36:1621-6.
[6] Preac-Mursic V, Marget W, Busch U, Pleterski Rigler D, Hagl S. Kill kinetics of Borrelia burgdorferi and bacterial findings in relation to the treatment of Lyme borreliosis. Infection 1996;24:9-18.
[7] Schutzer SE, Coyle PK, Belman AL, et al. Sequestration of antibody to Borrelia burgdorferi in immune complexes in seronegative Lyme disease. Lancet 1990;335:312-5.
[8] Liegner KB. Lyme disease and the clinical spectrum of antibiotic responsive chronic meningoencephalomyelitides. (Abstract, 1996 LDF Conference, Boston. MA)
Location of this page.
Home Version: February 6, 2000.

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

WOW Thanks....I have read about the Wetern Blot test before from the info for the Newbies. When I took the test from Igenex I was already symptomatic for 6 months. IGM Pos IGG neg. One would think I would be IGG pos right ? I have also heard that the IGM and IGG can go back and forth with this disease. The fact that the 39 band showed up interests me,even with the very high Ra factor. What about the 93 band??? Even with that great answer Lymescience I see nothing about Ra factors and western Blots for Lyme. So did I cross react? or am I Lyme Pos? Next question...Iwas on abx for 5 days before that test which I understand is correct. If I decide to do it again ABX yes or ABX no before the test...Sorry for so many questions but I'm very sick and looking for answers.....6t5
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Well the heck with it...I'll post them from last Feb

Igenex

IGG all neg except 41 which was IND

IGM Positive on the following bamds

23-25++
34 IND
39+
41+
66+
93+
According to them both CDC and Igenex positive

Recent (May )Quest testing showed a Neg western blot but poitive Elisa?
My RA factor was very high also,so thats my dilema and Neg on co infections

6ft....Your WB reads LYME all over the place! What else could possibly cause band 39 to show up than Lyme? NOTHING!

93 is the DNA or genetic material of Bb, a classic hallmark borreliosis antibody. RA can't make this band show up either!!!

Pay no attention whatsoever to Quest! They don't even test for the Lyme specific bands!!!!!

I'll include the link to the WB explanation...Read at the very bottom what "Michelle M" posted regarding the labs like quest and labcorp.

There is a REASON they don't include those bands!!!

Back in a minute.....

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

From the above link:

"Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies.

Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result."

This is written by a man who has treated WELL OVER 1,000 Lyme patients! Please listen!

============================================

Because RA patients also respond to abx, what are you waiting for? Your body needs help and it needs it now.

I just saw that you are taking doxy. How much? 400-600 mg a day??

Any chance your dr will change abx soon??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

I take doxy 2x a day was 3x but tummy ( even with probiotics ) said no. So far really no improvement. Considering getting the testing done again ( expensive ) but it's my health and I'm worried. Can you answer the ABX question yes or no before Western Blot testing ?? Thanks again for ALL your time
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Igenex states on there site that Rhematoid disease and EB can interfere with Western Blot. I cannot find any info on that on the web. I did find " some " info to the contrary. Anybody have any idea. If so.many people have positive EB virus with no symptoms and probably have never been checked. This could really raise the # of false positives no??

Not really, because the nonspecific bands are not counted. Igenex uses "whole-cell"-immunoblots, and with such tests cross-reactivity is normal.

Band 41kD is nonspecific and can cross-react with other spirochetes, EBV and CMV. So a positive band 41kD isn't counted as a specific band.

I don't know with which band(s) RF can cross-react, but you have to trust that Igenex takes that into account.

Specific bands are 25kD and 39kD, which you have in WB-IgM, which makes your WB-IgM positive. Your WB-IgG is negative, though.

Positive IgM counts heavier than positive IgG, because IgM is indicative of recent infection.

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
What else could possibly cause band 39 to show up than Lyme? NOTHING!

Antibodies against Treponema pallidum (syphilis) can slightly cross-react with band 39kD, and other bands as well.

quote:
If I decide to do it again ABX yes or ABX no before the test

You don't need to stop taking doxy for a while, if that is what you mean. You can take tests any time: before, during or after a course of ABX. The ABX won't interfere with the tests.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

whoops...Somehow hit "New Topic "...Anyway I'm sure Igenex does not consider other conditions or disease since there are so many. I guess I'll give em a call and see what bands would cross react
Lymetoo
Member # 743

If band 39 cross reacts with syphillus.... no problem, It's treated with abx as well.

I disagree that you can keep taking the abx before the test. Dr C in the link above says to stop at least two weeks before the test for the best results.

I see no reason for getting tested again. You have the answer you need....but if it makes you feel better, then do it.

I don't feel doxy is the best drug after the first month or so. It's good for making sure ehrlichiosis is not a problem. But after that, many of the other drugs are more effective.

You can get the dosages up higher since the others are not so tough on the stomach.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Anyway I'm sure Igenex does not consider other conditions or disease since there are so many.

It is known which bands are specific and which are nonspecific. The specific bands can only (slightly) cross-react with just a few things.

Therefore, multiple specific bands make the chance of false positivity very small. In other words: a positive WB has a very high specificity, unless the lab has bad tests and/or bad personnel.

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
I disagree that you can keep taking the abx before the test. Dr C in the link above says to stop at least two weeks before the test for the best results.

You are right, he says: "Sometimes multiple antibiotics have to be tried before the patient feels better. Antibiotics may actually help with the laboratory diagnosis. But patients need to be off antibiotics about 10 to 14 days before the Western blot is repeated. This sounds like a contradiction.

Antibiotics may help convert the test to positive, but patients need to be off antibiotics when the specimen is drawn.

It is well documented in medical literature that the presence of antibiotics may cause false negative borreliosis testing. Therefore, your system should be free of all antibiotics for an accurate blot result."

I would like to see those medical literature. Anyone?

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Actually, that is incredilby well documented regaring false negative seriology, but, and I will have to check on this, its my understanding that those tests refer only to very early in the disease when one takes antibiotics which don't kill the infection, and thus creates an "everybody agrees" false negative and true negative seriologly Lyme desease.

I'll have to check on data other than that, but that is all I know for fact.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Sewer Rat:

Antibiotics may help convert the test to positive, but patients need to be off antibiotics when the specimen is drawn.

I don't know, but my first WB had one or two bands show up. I took abx for 3 weeks, after which 6 bands showed up. Worked for me.

[I DID stay off abx the two weeks prior to the second test.]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
I don't know, but my first WB had one or two bands show up. I took abx for 3 weeks, after which 6 bands showed up. Worked for me.

When you take ABX, the pieces of killed Bb can stimulate an immune response. Possibly that happened in your case.
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason bands show up after abx's is that when you kill or send Bb into cysts the mass of antibodies that were attached to the spirochetes are set free because those particular spirochetes are dead thus freeing pieces & parts of spirochetes & antibodies up and your body starts to pass them out of system ie blood urine etc.

[ 26. July 2006, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: treepatrol ]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbeck32
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbeck32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymeytutu and Lymescince, was wondering if you could give me a little expertise as well..
This thought has also made me ponder as to if I am postive or false pos. I was sick one year prior to all this with a postive EBV in 98 and went through mono..half a year later I fell Chronically ill.. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..I have been sick for 7 years this May and was tested in 7-20-05..I was originally dx'd with CFS at Mayo Clinic in 99' due to a elevated protein level in my spinal fluid..I have been to 2 of the best CFS dr's in the Nation and neither did to much for me. One in Ashville, NC. and one in Incline Village, NV. I am currently taking a beta interferon for my immune system through my CFS doc. and have seen improvements in my test results, but none to my symptoms..I was dx'd from a LLMD out here about 3 months ago, but I still feel like I need your input..I never had a bullseye rash that I can remember but had been bitten by several ticks, mostly dog ticks..I will list my Igenex lab results and would love your feedback..I live in Nebraska, which is not a endemic area, but Iowa and Minnesota aren't that far away and they are..My doc is good, he is young but his father owns Igenex so i would think that he knows what he is doing..Thanks again for any input..I have been on Omnicef 1200mgs a day and 1000 mgs of probenecid along with Nystatin and probiotoics for about 3 months now..The first 2.5 were hell, extreme fatigue, even worse cognitive problems, extreme muscle twitching and shooting pains in my legs, night sweats and pains in my teeth.. and now I feel abit better, not sure if the meds were making me sick or if I went through a really bad HERX. Whatever it was wasnt fun at all..

IGG WB Igenex
Negative
30 IND
31 IND
39 IND
41 ++
58 IND
The rest are all NEG.

IGM WB Igenex
Postive through Igenex and CDC but this is 6 years after I became ill. So from what I read they would throw this out.
18 ++
30 IND
31 IND
39 +
41 ++
58 IND
66 +
93 +
Rest are Neg.

Posts: 9 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
The reason bands show up after abx's is that when you kill or send Bb into cysts the mass of antibodies that were attached to the spirochetes are set free because that particular spirochete is dead thus freeing antibodies up and your body starts to pass them out of system ie blood urine etc.

How do you know that? I would rather suspect the antibodies to stay in antibody-antigens complexes.

The ABX kills Bb, and pieces of killed Bb (antigens) can stimulate an immune response.

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it interesting that Scotland recently added band 58 as being lyme specific, and thereby increased the number of positive test results/reported cases. I was positive on that band, and have been told that because of my severe back problems, I had a "european" type strain. Not that it is restricted to Europe however. Obviously not, since I was bitten in the U.S.

To me this says again that testing is not an exact science and they don't really know enough about genetic diversity of the kete, nor is it covered by most lab testing.

Someone said at the time of the Scotland band change criteria that German scientists had already designated band 58 as significant in lyme.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Sewer rat..." It is known which bands react "...By whom may I ask. Like I said I just don'trust that any lab can ck for so many things that can cross react. I' guess I'm trying to get REAL facts here not just opinions ( which I thank you all for ).
bettyg
Unregistered

quote:

quote:
The reason bands show up after abx's is that when you kill or send Bb into cysts the mass of antibodies that were attached to, the spirochetes are set free because that particular spirochete is dead thus freeing antibodies up and your body starts to pass them out of system ie blood urine etc.

How do you know that? I would rather suspect the antibodies to stay in antibody-antigens complexes.

The ABX kills Bb, and pieces of killed Bb (antigens) can stimulate an immune response.

Sewer rat, since you are brand new to the board, I do not understand where you are coming from and your questioning TREEPATrol THIS WAY.

Tree has posted here to HELP folks trying to use user-friendly language for us all to understand better lyme disease.

SR, what is your current occupation please? Do you have a medical background? Just curious based on the brief comment you made here.

Treepatrol has compiled NEWBIE LINKS in medical, so please go there and read ALL the good info he has compiled from reputable web sites and our lymenet members. ok. You've got months ahead of you reading there! LOL. [Big Grin]
Bettyg

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Sewer rat..." It is known which bands react "...By whom may I ask. Like I said I just don'trust that any lab can ck for so many things that can cross react. I' guess I'm trying to get REAL facts here not just opinions ( which I thank you all for ).

My statements are based on either facts or well-informed carefully thought out opinions. [Wink]

The information about Western blot bands on this page is based on medical literate.

Igenex also gives information about the specific bands on their website:
http://www.igenex.com/lymeset2.htm

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this is a forum for discussion that can include differences in interpretation, as long as everyone stays non-confrontational and tries to dig up facts rather than opinion. Since most of us are not professionals in the fields concerned with lyme, there are going to be differences. This is not a problem to me. We can all learn from each other. Sometimes the facts that we look for are not even known to the professionals or THEY disagree in their interpretations. Finding solid ground with tickborne diseases is difficult.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Obviously this is a considerable interest to many, and to sewer rat, welcome to Lymenet.

I must say that while your time here has been short, you havn't been as "rude" as I was when I first posted. Also, I must also imphasize that Treepatrol does know what he's speaking, and frankly, I think his work speaks for itself.

My point is this, when you start out geeking on Lyme research (and I'm a huge geek) you mostly stick to pubmed, and this should be your main source of info, granted you read scientific articles with a skeptical eye for language.

However there are reams of published and unpublished material relating to Lyme, and still subjected to the scruitiny of the scientific method.

Here's one good example, the journal articles from the Journal of Spirochetal and related Diseases can't be picked up on pubmed, but it is a peer reviewed (and not just from the pro Lyme side, it was peer reviewed also by the likes of folks who work with Alan Barbour) journal filled with information that's hard to find elsewhere. This is the kind of stuff one gets to reading when you move from Lyme geek, to Lyme super geek. Being that Treepatrol has been here so long, I'd say he's a super geek (actually a compliment Tree).

So, while differences of opinion are needed, we can do so agreeably, and I don't think you were out of line or rude, so I'm not putting that on you, but prolly best not to go haywire like I did a few days ago when I thought I was speaking to a troll who happened to be a Lyme patient with a bad attitude, so.....

I can say from experience, that its best to be aggreable as much as one can, that is until you've been here a while, and, well, you can kinda loose it all to hell every once and a while. I did that just the other day:)

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

quote:
quote:
The reason bands show up after abx's is that when you kill or send Bb into cysts the mass of antibodies that were attached to the spirochetes are set free because that particular spirochete is dead thus freeing antibodies up and your body starts to pass them out of system ie blood urine etc.

You're both correct, and yet, there may be other reasons for this occurance. For exmaple, its well known, and well documented in the scientific literature that Lyme antigens can stimulate an immune response, however, its also well known AND well documented that the same thing can happen, and has been proven (though there was one paper that disputed this, but it has not been repeated) that Tree is also correct to say that at times antibodies are not detected because they surround the Borrelia complex(those that are available) and these antibodies are indeed bound in an antibody complex.

There are far too many questions regarding the exact mechanism or combination of mechanisms as pertains to individual people.

For example, it is well documented that in later stages of Lyme Diseaese (arthritic and nueroborriliosis, though I'm not certain about ACA which would be dermatological) that the immune system is put into a position wherby Borrelia co-exists AND causes autoimmunity, which is very strange.

So, while Borrelia modulates the immune system so that white blood cells don't arbogate a stong immune response against Borrelia (though you may find people who dissagree with this premice citing literature from Steere on Lyme arthritis) it also causes damage to other cells in ways that are not yet well understood.

So, given the facts we do have, its plausable that for certain people, antibodies are bound to whole cell spirochetes and when antibiotics kill the spirochete, the antibodies are freely found within western blot testing and would not be expected to be formed because of antigenic stimulus because of the preexisting immune deficiency relating to Borreliosis of later stages in certain people.

In other words, this stuff aint easy, and clearly both answers can be correct depending on the particulars of the clinical case, and in some cases both may be true.

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

SR thanks again for chiming in...BUT...we are back at square one. CK the Igenex site that you gave and it shows what bands they use to ck for Lyme but again states that RA factor and EB can cross react ( My first post question ). It does Not say anything else or give any info on them Checking for such things before testing....
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:
Sewer rat, since you are brand new to the board, I do not understand where you are coming from and your questioning TREEPATrol THIS WAY.

I just ask a question, because I never heard about that before. If treepatrol can point me to literature about it, then I would like to read it.
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
SR thanks again for chiming in...BUT...we are back at square one. CK the Igenex site that you gave and it shows what bands they use to ck for Lyme but again states that RA factor and EB can cross react ( My first post question ). It does Not say anything else or give any info on them Checking for such things before testing....

Back at square one? Were al our efforts in vain?

I responded to your "I guess I'm trying to get REAL facts here not just opinions".

So, have you seen the information about Western blot bands on this page, which is based on medical literate?

I posted the page of Igenex because that's the lab that did your testing. Please ignore it if it brings you back to "square one".

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

quote:

I would actually dissagree with this statement, though I don't mean this in a rude manner. We have covered the Epstein Barr Virus in detail, and this is a disease in which I'd consider myself a geek (meaning that I've read about 40 to 50 full leagnth scientific articles and have read at least the last 3 years international EBV conferences)

As far as I know, I have listed the exceptions regarding EBV as I'm rather well informed regarding the Life cycle of EBV in the normal human being, and when not in the normal situation, for example in somone who has Chronic EBV- again an incredibly rare condition (I'll post some general links for this in a bit, and I'll also post a link showing the life cycle of EBV in the host and then I'll see if I can find one that delineates to the unusual case of cancer, active MONO, or SCAEBV)

So, while I am almost certain that these would be your only exceptions, I'll look again, but my feeling is that the EBV thing has been extensivly well covered.

The reason I know so much about EBV is that, similar to one patient who reported having MONO, I was said to have had mono as well. I did have a titer of 1:640, which is diagnostic of an active infection, BUT, I had no circulating EBV DNA which is HIGHLY unusual for true SCAEBV. For these middle of the road cases, the diagnositic criteria is usually bumped up to something like a IgG titer of 1:1000 or more.

But, for those who wish to read the mundane activities regarding EBV, and some of the genuinely interesting activities of the imunological profile of this common, and complicated virus, I will soon post some info to read.

Also, I highly encourage others to look to see if it is possible for someone to not have a rare EBV related condition of active infection (though its really always an active infection, but thats incredibly technical) and just have once had mono, but no longer having any symptoms from mono, and yet have a false negative Lyme Western Blot, and if so, is it also possible to have a Western blot in this condition with several Lyme specific bands.

Now, until someone can find this, I'm gonna go ahead and say Occam's razor, nuff said.

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

British Journal of Haematology
Volume 112 Page 377 - February 2001
doi:10.1046/j.1365-2141.2001.02550.x
Volume 112 Issue 2

Short Report
Fatal atypical T-cell proliferation associated with Epstein-Barr virus infection
Steffen Hauptmann,1 Nadine Meru,2 Christiane Schewe,1 Andreas Jung,2 Falk Hiepe,3 Gerd R�diger Burmester,3 Gerald Niedobitek2 and Frank Buttgereit3

We report the case of a young Caucasian man who presented with polyneuropathy and severe, ultimately fatal, congestive heart failure in the context of a chronic active Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection. Post-mortem examination revealed both monoclonal and polyclonal proliferation of EBV-positive atypical T lymphocytes within different organs. Predominant infiltration of the nervous system and heart with extensive myocardial scarring accounted for the clinical symptoms. The remarkable features of this case are (i) the occurrence in a Caucasian patient, (ii) the absence of detectable immunodeficiency, and (iii) the myocardial destruction by EBV-infected monoclonal T cells.

Thats just the first, to give ya a taste of what you're in for. SCAEBV can be deadly, and note that they say how strange it was for a white guy to have this condition, this disease almost exclusivly occurs in people from Japan and the sourouding area.

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

http://tinyurl.com/j5us3

(Note, the above link is new because my other one didn't work when I tried it earlier. If this doesn't work, I'll post the article, but its long.

Thats prolly the most important link as it gives a general idea of SCAEBV or CAEBV without making one read every freaking article there is.

[ 25. July 2006, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: LYMESCIENCE ]

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

SR..The link...this page...does not work. I thought I made it clear that I have a high RA factor. Not eb virus. Igenex states both can cross react. The info everyone gave on EB was great. I too do not to be rude but Please tell me agin what bands cross react for RA ?? Cannot find it anywhere.Actually any other links would also be great ref same ( cross reactivity involving RA factor and lyme testing ) The info given from all of you has been much appreciated and maybe my Lyme brain is not what it should be
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Rheumatoid Factor

Also known as: RF
Related tests: ANA, Autoantibodies

email this page
print this article

The Test

How is it used?
When is it ordered?
What does the test result mean?
Is there anything else I should know?

How is it used?
The test for rheumatoid factor (RF) is used to help diagnose rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The test may also be used to help diagnose an arthritis-related condition called Sj�gren's syndrome. About 80% to 90% of patients with this syndrome have high amounts of RF in their blood.

[Back to top]

When is it ordered?
The test for RF is ordered when you have signs of RA. Symptoms may include stiffness in your joints for a long time in the morning, swelling, nodules under your skin, and evidence on X-rays of swollen joint capsules and loss of cartilage and bone if the disease has progressed.

If you still have symptoms of RA but your first RF test is negative, the test may need to be repeated. The levels vary with the degree of symptoms and inflammation and may be negative in periods of remission or inactive disease.

The RF test also may be ordered to help diagnose Sj�gren's syndrome. Symptoms include extremely dry mouth and eyes, dry skin, and joint and muscle pain. Many connective tissue disorders are autoimmune diseases, and RA and other diseases, such as Raynaud's syndrome, scleroderma, autoimmune thyroid disorders, and systemic lupus erythematosis, are common among people with Sj�gren's syndrome.

[Back to top]

What does the test result mean?
The presence of RF indicates that you may have rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Positive RF test results are found in the majority of cases of rheumatoid arthritis. In addition, more than 50% of patients with high levels of RF in their blood have Sj�gren's syndrome. Many patients with RA also have Sj�gren's syndrome. (Women more often have both of these diseases. About two to three times as many women as men have RA, and women have 90% of the cases of Sj�gren's syndrome.)

If you have a positive RF test result but do not have RA or Sj�gren's syndrome, there may be another reason, such as endocarditis; systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus); tuberculosis; syphilis; sarcoidosis; cancer; viral infection; or disease of the liver, lung, or kidney. You may also test positive if you have received skin or kidney grafts from a person who does not have your identical genetic profile.

A negative RF test result means that you do not have RA, or it is too early in your disease progression to detect RF, or possibly you are in a remission phase. If your symptoms appear to be those of RA or Sj�gren's syndrome, your doctor may order the RF test again as your condition progresses.

[Back to top]

Is there anything else I should know?
The RF test has a high false positive rate, and the result must be used along with the patient's symptoms and history to make a diagnosis of RA, Sj�gren's syndrome, or another condition.

Interfering factors for the RF test generally include having many vaccinations or lipemia (a large amount of fats in the blood) or specimen handling. Methyldopa, a blood pressure drug, can increase the amount of RF detected by the test.

[Back to top]

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Been tested many times over the past 16 years and always have a positive RA factor along with the dreaded RA. My last test ( April ) was 414..Over 60 positive
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

http://tinyurl.com/n37h3

This is a study done in 1989, but be carefull while you read, some of it can be tricky.

Well, it seems in this study which had a few false positive RA factor people, the blotting was non specific for 25, 41, and 66. I'll find some more for you to ponder.

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

http://tinyurl.com/ocnh9

and here is one more about this topic, but it makes me have SERIOUS DOUBTS ABOUT THE VALIDITY REGARDING RA FALSE POSITIVITY.

They tested for false positives in the highly unendemic Pennslyvania as the control group, so I post this study (which is really the only in depth study and probally the one which has been relied upon) with A LOT OF CARE IN SAYING THAT ONE SHOULD READ THE WORDS RATHER THAN THE CONCLUSIONS.

Pennslyvania is HIGHLY endemic for Lyme, so the conclusions regarding a control group are meaningless.

To my knowledge, this study has never been reproduced.

However, it does directly question RA and Lyme.

http://tinyurl.com/my6ss

J Rheumatol. 1994 Jan;21(1):126-31. Links
Seroreactivity to Borrelia burgdorferi antigens in the absence of Lyme disease.

* Cooke WD,
* Bartenhagen NH.

State University of New York, Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse.

OBJECTIVE. To determine the background levels and specificity of antibody to Borrelia burgdorferi by Western blot (immunoblot) in an area nonendemic for Lyme disease, and to correlate antibody specificity with clinical or serologic findings. METHODS. In a prospective survey by consecutive sampling, serum was obtained from patients referred to a tertiary care referral center in a rural area of Pennsylvania not endemic for Lyme disease. A total of 207 consecutive referrals to a rheumatology clinic over a 3-month period from September, 1991 were divided into 3 groups. Those referred because of a positive Lyme serology (Group 1) were compared with patients having positive antinuclear antibodies or rheumatoid factor (Group 2) and with controls having no rheumatic complaints (Group 3). RESULTS. Antibody to at least one protein of B. burgdorferi was seen in over 40% of patients. Reactivities to the heat shock proteins and the 41 kDa flagellar antigen accounted for the majority of positive bands. There were no differences observed between the 3 groups, and no significant correlation between Western blot and ELISA findings in the absence of Lyme disease. CONCLUSION. We conclude that significant levels of antibody to B. burgdorferi may be seen on Western blotting in patients who have not been exposed to this organism by clinical or epidemiologic criteria. The antibodies detected may be natural antibodies, or may result from exposure to homologous antigenic epitopes on other organisms. The definition of a positive Western blot in the diagnosis of Lyme disease should incorporate the background levels of reactivity seen in nonexposed populations. Criteria for positivity should focus on the presence of antibody to the more specific proteins of B. burgdorferi.

PMID: 8151567 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Ok, So I'm putting on the humility hat today. I've learned something new.

Turns out there is more info about RF and Lyme, and STRANGLY, your RF titer and positive IgM Western blot more likely confirms your diagnosis of Lyme as opposed to being a false positive. Stange this disease is.....

http://tinyurl.com/pm7fg

http://tinyurl.com/zgnsw

http://tinyurl.com/huzwk

http://tinyurl.com/r9mgb

http://tinyurl.com/s27xg

that one above confirms others I've seen suggesting that the Elisa can have these false positives, but rarley, on the Western Blot.

http://tinyurl.com/nupqd

http://tinyurl.com/nczxx

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymescience...I will read it all later and want to THANK YOU again.....This thread is most interesting and very educational
lou
Member # 81

Well, all I have to say at this point, lymescience, is that I sure hope you get enough treatment so you can go into medicine. We need people like you. Looking forward to Dr. Lymescience some time in the future.
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Thanks Lou, I hope I get enough treatment as well so I can do something to help the Lyme community because there are so many of you out there (myself included) who are in desperate need of answers.

I found out that I'll be able to continue my medicine that does work for me, but I am considering something else as well.

Since I believe so strongly (because of the law of causality and the science and people I've seen) that at least in some people, though maybe not all, chronic lyme is simply a chronic infection (albiet INCREDIBLY complicated), and I can relyably predict my response to medicine- including several clearly visibly measureable things, I was wondering whether it would matter to challenge the DUCKS at Duke scientifically.

If they give me the regamine of meds I've proved through trial and error, and that I can predict, for free, they can give me any test they want to try to disprove what's going on in my body.

The key is that I understand so much of the science with what is going on that its difficult for the doctors to pull one over on me, and since I can so relyably predict things that one can't cause through the power of the mind (maybe x can cause y, but x can't cause a through e and y based upon the same theory and all be placebo- that's impossible)

So either they would have to prove that I've discovered the cure for myself at least for autoimmune post Lyme or For at least some, chronic lyme means a chronic infection.

The only stipulation to this challenge would be that I would have to have some LLMD's oversee things as well to keep the bias in check. What do you think lou?

I'm certain these things are happening, I've repeated the experiement at least 8 times and the results are the same or very similar. Would they even accept such a challenge with the stipulation that it must be published in a major medical journal?

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey hey Sewer Rat I could answer your ? but it would take me about 4 hrs to search and compile what I said and I am not up to right now. Sorry
I didnt come by my opinion lightly it took me years to come to that answer its just not off the top of my head.

Search for yourself eventialy youll see why I believe that taking abx especially after a long time being infected does indeed free antigens and kills spirochetes thus freeing them to be found as antigens and antibodies, respectively.Either by pcr or wb.

Its called priming the test.
This should be done during the 3 day urine test and at least 5 days prior to western blot.

Both times at very high doses of abx and it should be a abx that is known too kill spirochetes or causes a herx. [Eek!]

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

I dunno, lymescience. It would depend on whether there were any open minds, people who were not afraid to get out of the medical lock step.

When I learned that Yale had gotten more than $300 million from NIH in 2004, it became obvious that whatever the govt health agencies want to be said about any particular disease is what is going to be said, regardless of the evidence or anything else. There is just too much money riding on this, and not even a tenured professor with independent sources of research funding is going to go against the best financial interests of his/her institution. This, to me, accounts for the remarkable unanimity among the big name medical universities, clinics on the questions of lyme and other tickborne diseases.

That huge amount of AIDS funding (and more recently the bioterrorism funds) is giving NAIAD the power of a 1000 pound gorilla, and they are using it to enforce their views.

So, the short answer is that there might come a time when your offer would be timely, but now might not be it. Just my opinion, you understand.

In fact, the NIH has a long-running intramural study where they already have gotten evidence that people who were treated correctly showed improvement on treatment and declined when not treated. This was seen in objective testing results, like MRI scans. But they have not published this information. Rather they have only published info that supports the Steerite view of lyme. So, this says to me that they are willing to lie their heads off and/or omit telling the truth as long as necessary to stay in agreement with the official view. All we can do, I think, is to try to get this changed at the top. The bottom is too afraid to say what they think. The "bottom" being the researchers and doctors on the frontlines of disease.

[ 26. July 2006, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
Originally posted by lou:
I dunno, lymescience. It would depend on whether there were any open minds, people who were not afraid to get out of the medical lock step.

When I learned that Yale had gotten more than $300 million from NIH in 2004, it became obvious that whatever the govt health agencies want to be said about any particular disease is what is going to be said, regardless of the evidence or anything else. There is just too much money riding on this, and not even a tenured professor with independent sources of research funding is going to go against the best financial interests of his/her institution. This, to me, accounts for the remarkable unanimity among the big name medical universities, clinics on the questions of lyme and other tickborne diseases.

That huge amount of AIDS funding is giving NAIAD the power of a 1000 pound gorilla, and they are using it to enforce their views.

So, the short answer is that there might come a time when your offer would be timely, but now might not be it. Just my opinion, you understand.

In fact, the NIH has a long-running intramural study where they already have gotten evidence that people who were treated correctly showed improvement on treatment and declined when not treated. This was seen in objective testing results, like MRI scans. But they have not published this information. Rather they have only published info that supports the Steerite view of lyme. So, this says to me that they are willing to lie their heads off and/or omit telling the truth as long as necessary to stay in agreement with the official view. All we can do, I think, is to try to get this changed at the top. The bottom is too afraid to say what they think. The "bottom" being the researchers and doctors on the frontlines of disease.

Lou all I can say about what you said is Your Right!!!Totally agree!!!
You put that better than anyone I ever heard!!

Pat [bow] Pat [bow] Pat [bow] On the Back
[woohoo]

--------------------

Newbie Links

northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou,

"In fact, the NIH has a long-running intramural study where they already have gotten evidence that people who were treated correctly showed improvement on treatment and declined when not treated. This was seen in objective testing results, like MRI scans. But they have not published this information. "

How would I access/where would I find this information? Even a general search term would be helpful, if you do not have quick access to links. pm is ok, too.

Thank you,
N.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Wow thats a lot of good information. My take is since I have a very high RF it may increase to some degree the possibility of interference with a Lyme essay, but only a slight chance? Perhaps all these conditions such as CFS,Fibro, RA, Lyme, Alzheimers maybe even ALS are from a bacterial infection.Time will hopefully tell. I did read on another board that a person questioned Igenex about the interference and was told 3% of the time,so I guess 97% correct which is pretty good odds don't ya think. Thanks to all..........Geoff
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Sorry one more questioni you don't mind....Is there a way to remove RF in the blood before a Lyme Western Blot
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Geoff comon man, you don't think that's a wee bit overkill??

BTW, love the name, mine is also Geoff. Cool spelling dude!

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Well Geoff or Dr Lymescience I figure if anybody can answer a question like that you could, so I took the chance to see if you might know...
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Sure man, for the ego stroke, and simply because your name rocks, I'll see, but this is the last oddball question I'm answering regarding RF factor and Lyme unless it has some importance to the rest of us, ie: theoretical implications for understanding how Lyme causes both autoimmunity and infection.

So, I'll check to see if the RF factor can be filtered out, give me some time, imo, that's gonna be very technical, and I doubt I find info on pubmed so my best bet would be to search the chemistry comapanies ( a tedious task, but my guess is that they can be filtered out, I don't see any reason why not)

In theory if we know how to measure RF then we know what it is in the blood, the next step would be to simply filter it out of the blood based on some kinda mechanism related to the properties of light absorbtion specific to RF or to have some kinda of mechanism which is tropfic for RF making it separate from the blood to some kinda collection grid similar to a magnet attracting iron.

I'll see what I can find Geoff.

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Search for yourself eventialy youll see why I believe that taking abx especially after a long time being infected does indeed free antigens and kills spirochetes thus freeing them to be found as antigens and antibodies, respectively.Either by pcr or wb.

This should be done during the 3 day urine test and at least 5 days prior to western blot.

Both times at very high doses of abx and it should be a abx that is known too kill spirochetes or causes a herx. [Eek!]

Thanks Treepatrol,

I will try to find information about this, because it's interesting and important information.

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Ok, did a little search, and my first gut feeling is that though it should be possible theoretically, I don't think this kinda thing can be done other than at research labs for the purpose of research.

But, I have found something that may help anyways. You have a positive IgM. With a little logic, this quote may help you as I would think that RF factor shouldn't influence the IgM, only the IgG.

"The second rheumatologic test of importance is the Rheumatoid Factor, or RF. Like the ANA, rheumatoid factor is actually an autoantibody that binds to immunoglobulin G (IgG), forming a large immune complex. This immune complex is implicated in numerous inflammatory processes. Despite the name, the RF is not 100% specific for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), although a positive result is typically present in about 80% of patients who have RA."

Being that you are measuring IgM and RF binds to IgG, perhaps it doesn't matter that in your case.

Or, maybe the lab can try to filter out IgG if you're still conserned about your diagnosis.

Here is the link, which I may post in a separate thread. It doesn't specifically deal with Lyme, but it gives a great tutorial on Hematology (the blood sciences)

http://tinyurl.com/fwtzn

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

From one Geoff to another ( ever get tired of having to spell your name!! ..lol ) thanks again.I know you rock also and I really thank you since this Geoff is having a hard time right noe man. Lemme know if you come across anything else. Maybe you can do a paper on this when you become a Lyme DR. !!!!
treepatrol
Member # 4117

quote:
quote:

Thanks Treepatrol,

I will try to find information about this, because it's interesting and important information.

yep

--------------------

Newbie Links

LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Do I ever get tired of having to spell my name?

Oh yeah, ever single time I meet someone new, they always think of Jeff, and even when I say, no no, its Jeff with a G, not a J, they think Geff??

So, yeah, that's a constant reminder that we have a unique name.

Geoff, I'm sorry that you're going through a hard time, I've been there man, believe me. You'll get through this, but not before it completely changes your life, either in such a way that you come out healthy appreciating life, or you come out of it miserable and mad because you had to be sick.

You'll be a happier fellow with the life is good approach. If you need any help at all, unless it has to do whether you have RF or Lyme. Better yet, if you're still unconvinced, PM me and we can discuss the signs and symptoms you have and see which disease fits the picture better.

Good luck Geoff, you're in for the battle of your life, but the good news is that you can win if you hold on long enough and fight this disease with some kind of battle plan [woohoo]

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Thanks Geoff.....I think I may take you up on a pm

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement