LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can't tolerate pink Diflucan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can't tolerate pink Diflucan
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I posted this message about 6 months ago and was told that Sandoz made a white Fluconozale or Diflucan.

They have since stopped making it and my pharmacist can only locate the pink which makes me very sick. Must be an allergic reaction to the red dye - don't know - just get very sick when I try the pink.

Does anyone know where I can find another brand that would be any color but pink. I have tolerated yellow and white but not the pink.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

[ 08. August 2006, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: marks ]

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refilled our Diflucan about 2 weeks ago and we got the white pills for the 1st time.

Can you check with another pharmacy to see if they have the white pills?

Have you taken Nystatin? I can't tolerate it for some reason but I can take the pink Diflucan.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried every pharmacy in my area and also CVS in several different states and towns.

They can't get them either.

Posts: 74 | From MS | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would a distributor know, I wonder? You might ask your local pharmacy for contact info for their distributor, might get some leads there? Or maybe a compounding pharmacy could make you some without the red dye.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Marks,

You know your body best...but anyway this could be a herx reaction? Some people here have been herxing on diflucan...Just a thought to ponder.

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it is a herx if it is ONLY the pink pills that cause a problem -- much more likely a reaction to a dye or additive in the pink formulas.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for tablets with colors, i hold it under running water(cold to tepid, not hot),and rub it off with my thumb. sometimes, when do this, i discover that the dye is suffused throughout teh tablet, and then just take it as such.

for example,the red dye on wobenzyme tablets washes off easily.

its a trial and error thing.

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem. Unsure as to why. The pharmacist is tryng to get the details of the ingredients of both types.

What other drugs are you taking?
What brand are the pills?

The funny thing is that I have had the pink tabs before and NOT had a problem (over 2 years ago now).

I also have a major problem with magnesium lactate tabs (magtab SR). Again not sure as to why. These mg pills are NOT red, but pale yellow, so it is NOT the dye.

[ 09. August 2006, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: david1097 ]

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

Thank you all for your comments.

I also don't think it is a herx because I have been taking the white Diflucan for 18 months. It is just when I try the pink ones I become much worse (it is usually after having taken just one). I know I have chemical sensitivities so it is probably something in the pink ones.

My pharmacist has recommended compounding or the liquid, either of which would be quite expensive.
I will just have to wait and see.

I am seeing Dr. Klinghardt in two weeks so maybe he can help me with this.

David - My brand of pink Diflucan is Phizer(sp?) - I think. My pharmacist has tried to order many different brands but I just don't tolerate the pink in any brand.

Lymied - I also cannot take the MagtabSR. Of course it could be binders, etc. that we are sensitive to.

Thank you all again.

nancyn
Member # 9799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In what way does pink Diflucan make you sick and at what dose? For me nausea was extreme so I began titrating the dose. I started with 50 mg. for two weeks and increased by 50 every two weeks until I got to 200 mg. It helped alot. Also, I herxed for about 10 days. Nancy
Posts: 1 | From Mid-Atlantic USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have the same problem with the pink pills. I am having trouble finding the white ones, found some at CVS. They called all of their locations and are pooling them together for me.

I spoke with the company, they quit making them for awhile but couldn't tell me for how long. They quit making one dose (200mg I think in Jan 06) and quit making the 100mg this summer. Maybe you could find some 100 and double up until they get more out.

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Same problem here, and I am thinking of having
the "Diflucan" compounded without the dyes.
Welless Pharmacy probably does this, and probably others, such as Lionville Pharmacy (PA).

Contacts:

Wellness Pharmacy 1-800-227-2627

Lionville 1-877-363-7474

I also tried all the CVS pharmacies in my area
to get the white pills, and no go.

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just the opposite. I like the pink pills. They seem to work better for me. If I get the yellow or white they don't seem to work. None of them give me any ill effects, but the pink work better for some reason. I still get the yellow ones in my area quite often. My prescription is up though, so I don't know if I will be getting any more at all. When I go off the diflucan I get awful headaches and neck pain. Take care!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my aunt has a very strong reaction to anything with red dye in it. she has parkinson's disease and this causes no end of problems as she is limited in the medicines she can try since so many of them have dye in them. she avoids all foods with red dye, and you would be surprised at the number of things that contain it.

in other words, i don't think this sounds odd and i doubt you're imagining it.

Carol

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another thought: do they make different strengths in different colors? say that 5 mg is yellow and 10 mg is pink, you could see if you could get twice as many 5 mg pills and take two each dose. or if there is a 20 mg one in white, break it in half.
Carol

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marks
Member # 6965

I am supposed to take 200mg a day. I have been getting the 100's and taking 2 of them a day - sometimes just one. I can get a prescription from my dr. for any strength so that wouldn't be a problem.

My pharmacist just can't get the white ones in any strength right now.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement